cannot do push ups :(

Options
i am really struggling i have no upper body strength. even modifying is too hard. any tips?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    light dumbbells, Lye on back and press them.
  • Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started by just trying to do one. Use your whole body and try to brace your feet on a wall behind you. Don't get hung up about going to low just focus on your arms bending at the elbow enough to suspend you and then go back up. Try for 3-5 your first day and then go for 10. Practice everyday and add sit-ups to your routine to increase your core strength. also its mental. Kick that 1 push-up's *kitten*.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    keep your feet on the ground, but elevate your upper body, basically doing an incline pushup. Increase the incline until you can do the pushups with sufficient difficulty. Use things like stairs, chairs, tables, walls, etc.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Keep working. Pushups are hard, especially if you haven't built up your upper body strength. Practice, practice, practice.

You may want to try hand release pushups, too. Start face down with your hands flat on the floor in pushup ready position. Push up until you are off the floor, but activate your core so that you are pushing straight up (not wiggling up, or take a cobra position to get up). Stay activated until you are down and do it again.

You can modify on your knees, too, but it sounds like that is what you are doing.

Ultimately, you just have to keep at it. It's not going to come overnight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    keep your feet on the ground, but elevate your upper body, basically doing an incline pushup. Increase the incline until you can do the pushups with sufficient difficulty. Use things like stairs, chairs, tables, walls, etc.

This^^

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thanks i use my knees going into lower plank but my arms give way after maybe 2? so embarassing. i will try the elevating the upper body
  • PRMinx
    Options
    thanks i use my knees going into lower plank but my arms give way after maybe 2? so embarassing. i will try the elevating the upper body

Don't be embarrassed. Everyone started somewhere!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As you go through the pushing movement, visualize a giant ball in your hands and push away and ever so slightly inward with a tiny bit more pressure on the outer edges of your hands, as if you are squeezing it away from you. I once saw it explained in a video as imagining that the Earth is a huge ball that you are pushing away from you.

Also, the grease the groove method is very helpful as well. Throughout the day, do mini sets of push-ups. Even if you aren't doing full push-ups you can do this. So if you can do 3 incline pushups, try doing 1 or 2 six to eight times during the day. Gradually build up how many you are doing in each set and at a certain point you change the incline (lower it) and then move on to full push-ups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

do them on the wall.

then do them on the desk

then do them on a chair

if you have stairs- you can work down stair by stair as you get stronger.

Doing knee push ups is not as effective as you would think- because- as you noted- you give out and you lose training moments.

Start higher- work your way down.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

do them on the wall.

then do them on the desk

then do them on a chair

if you have stairs- you can work down stair by stair as you get stronger.

Doing knee push ups is not as effective as you would think- because- as you noted- you give out and you lose training moments.

Start higher- work your way down.

Then you can do them everwhere!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. This is so...Seussy.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i tried the sofa but it was a little too low i couldnt do it. i will try the stairs later
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    i tried the sofa but it was a little too low i couldnt do it. i will try the stairs later

Start against the wall, build up gradually. If you keep at it you will improve. As you get stronger move your feet farther from the wall, then move to either stairs or a sofa / stable desk or table etc.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    On a side note... there is definite benefit to only doing 2 reps at a time, so don't assume that if you can only do 2 that it's not worth doing. Something like 10 reps against the wall, then 5 reps on a stair, then 2 reps on the floor would be a pretty killer routine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    i am really struggling i have no upper body strength. even modifying is too hard. any tips?

Stick with modified, and keep trying.

Do weighted negatives.

Really though, how do you get yourself off the ground?
  • PRMinx
    Options
    lanygren wrote: »
    Just learn to do pushups. its just that you dont know how too

That's BS. Someone with no upper body strength (yet) will absolutely struggle with pushups until they develop the strength, even if they know how to. What a dumb comment.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

That's BS. Someone with no upper body strength (yet) will absolutely struggle with pushups until they develop the strength, even if they know how to. What a dumb comment.

It's the return of crap trolling.

Some people on other websites must be bored or school's out for Christmas...
  • PRMinx
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Ahhh, yes. I forgot the little kids are out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Only negative to the christmas season is that kids aren't in school. I see no reason for them to get vacations, it only promotes weakness.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

you can suck a wank you no good selfish *kitten*

yes those hooligans

Will this trolling get any better?