having trouble with breakfast

Options
so I have a dilemma ppl...I wake up at 6:00 every morning to get me and my girls ready for the day....yes I said girls a 1 yr old and a 4 yr old and anyone with children knows that mornings can get a little hectic with drama queens lol but that's not my concern...I have trouble finding time to eat breakfast I mean from the time I wake up to the time I leave the house it gives me about an hr and a half which doesn't give me time to eat and then by lunch I am starving. I have started bringing my own lunch(frozen dinners) to cut out fast food but I know that breakfast is important...any advice

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Okay, first and foremost I want to say that it's okay to skip breakfast. Breakfast has been hyped as the most important meal of the day but it really isn't. It's okay to skip breakfast if you feel okay doing it.

But, it sounds like skipping breakfast is making you hungrier and more likely to overeat later in the day, so breakfast is probably a good idea for you. It could be something easy, like a snack bar (I go for something high in protein), hard boiled eggs (easy to make ahead of time), Greek yogurt w/ fruit, nuts, cereal, or granola once you do get to stop.

Or you can look for things that you make ahead and freeze/chill the night before. Overnight oats, breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches, crockpot oatmeal, whatever you like.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have things that are easy to eat on the run. Banana, peanut butter on toast, etc.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    On days I don't have time for breakfast, I'll usually eat a banana on my way out the door.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Okay, first and foremost I want to say that it's okay to skip breakfast. Breakfast has been hyped as the most important meal of the day but it really isn't. It's okay to skip breakfast if you feel okay doing it.

But, it sounds like skipping breakfast is making you hungrier and more likely to overeat later in the day, so breakfast is probably a good idea for you. It could be something easy, like a snack bar (I go for something high in protein), hard boiled eggs (easy to make ahead of time), Greek yogurt w/ fruit, nuts, cereal, or granola once you do get to stop.

Or you can look for things that you make ahead and freeze/chill the night before. Overnight oats, breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches, crockpot oatmeal, whatever you like.

All of this ^^^
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies at night and drink them on the way to work and it usually lasts me until just before lunch time. I use fruit, greek yogurt, Crystal light energy packets. Somtimes they are 'slushy' and sometimes they are the cosistency of milk. Either way, they taste good and keep me full.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat breakfast at your desk right when you get to work? I know a lot of people who eat as they are checking their email and getting started for the day. They bring things like fruit cups, oatmeal packets, or even breakfast sandwiches that they make in advance and grab from the freezer on the way out the door.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I currently have smoothies for breakfast, which take 5-10 minutes to make, cook and clean.

When I was working crazy hours and even 5-10 minutes felt absolutely impossible, I made homemade breakfast bars or muffins on the weekend, kept them in the fridge, and ate them while walking to work. What you put in them is a matter of taste and your priorities, but I used a lot of oats, protein powder and dates, and usually added a bit of dark chocolate or dried cherries for taste.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I usually bring oatmeal packets to the office and make one to eat with my morning coffee at my desk. If you need more protein, you could add an individually-sized greek yogurt to that for an easy grab-n-go breakfast.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems as well. What I found that has helped me is to also transition when I ate breakfast. I am up at 5:45 and out the door with my daughter by 6:15. diannethegeek is spot on with her suggestions. I found though that trying to cram food down my throat for the sake of having breakfast didn't help. I learned trying to wait till lunch leaves me so ravenous that I eat more than I should for the rest of the day. However, now I eat a later breakfast. It's a bit of a compromise. During my morning break at work, I collect what I set aside to make quickly at work for my breakfast. (did you know you can microwave scrambled eggs - quick an easy way to make a breakfast burrito - just 90 seconds for two eggs, toss in some veggies - perfectly filling.) It hits me at the right time to prevent me from getting too hungry and it also allowed me to eat lunch at a later time than I was previously, and that helped curb my interest in snacking later in the afternoon.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm on maternity leave right now, but when I go back to work in March I'll be leaving the house before 7:30 and I have 3 kids who'll be 10 months, 3 and 5. My husband does shift work so on his earlies week he leaves at 5, so it's me on my own! I'm a teacher so don't have the option of eating at my desk.

I plan on getting up earlier than my kids so I can eat breakfast and have a coffee before the madness starts. This is what I did when I was pregnant and getting my then 2 and 4 year old ready. They'd eat their breakfast at nursery/school breakfast club.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I love protein shakes. :) Quick to make, and filling. They can work out reasonably cheap too, if you can afford the outlay of the biggest tubs of powder. I've not tried making them the night before, but I bet you can - take your shaker to work with you.

Ditto protein bars - even quicker. I can't afford the really good protein bars and shakes, but I buy the best I can, and they have my life so much easier and helped me so so much in not making bad choices.

Other ideas for filling breakfasts that are quick:
    - Boiled eggs, fruit and/or a cereal bar.
    - Porridge. Super filling. If you have time to eat at home, you can throw the ingredients in a (BIG) bowl the night before and microwave it. Otherwise, the instant sort that you add hot water to is good for eating at work.
    - A banana and some nuts
    - Peanut butter on a wholewheat tortilla - no crumbs, and can be eaten one handed.

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some planning in order to get in that breakfast and no it doesn't have to be at 6am when you get up.

You can make egg muffin cups, using cupcake pans just spray the tins with cooking spray then dump in a bunch of chopped veggies, meats, cheese and either egg whites or whole eggs. Bake them during dinner so you have them in the morning and here's the real bonus, make an entire tin of them and then you don't have to worry about it the rest of the week just grab a couple and go.

I make up meatloaf this way now too, individual portions and convenient for packing lunches.

I use mason jars for fruit and yogurt, put frozen fruit in the jar, add plain greek yogurt and toss granola on the top. The jars can sit in the fridge for days so I usually make up a couple of jars before going to bed then I have snacks or breakfast for 2 different days.

If you don't cook and want prepackaged, look into lean pocket breakfast items, frozen multigrain waffles (excellent with PB and jelly) or grab some of the healthier breakfast sandwich options.

If you take the stress of the morning out of the equation and only have to grab and go you'll find it's much easier than you thought.
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 year old and 3 year old and my mornings are always crazy! I need breakfast or I will binge the rest of the day but I don't have time to make anything in the mornings (even cereal is too much)! haha I usually have grab and go snacks. Fruit, protein bars, yogurt, boiled eggs, peanut butter crackers, muffins or breakfast casserole that I made over the weekend. I even grab leftovers- who says it has to be breakfast food! I also eat at my desk when I get to work! :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you can always set clothes and other things needed out the night before.also you can make oatmeal with fruit the night before and store in a mason jar/container and heat it up and eat on the way. there are recipes online(called overnight oats/no cook refrigerator oatmeal.That way you can eat it on the way and no need to mess with it much
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm a big breakfast person and like something that wasn't frozen. What I do is bake an egg in a muffin tin. I bake it for 20 minutes so I just put it in first thing when I wake up and then continue to get ready. Once the egg is done (or eggs when I'm cooking for my bf and his daughter), I toast some english muffins. Add cheese and ham with the egg on the muffin and I've got a hot toasted breakfast sandwich in less than 5 minutes.

It's great for those days when I have to make breakfast for 3 of us because all I have to do is bake 3 eggs lol.

On days when I'm running late or run out of eggs, I keep portioned bags of oatmeal at my desk I can just throw in a paper cup and heat up at work.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I eat boring simple breakfasts that require no thinking. like toast.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Jamaican beef patty (1 min in microwave) and an apple or banana
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    so I have a dilemma ppl...I wake up at 6:00 every morning to get me and my girls ready for the day....yes I said girls a 1 yr old and a 4 yr old and anyone with children knows that mornings can get a little hectic with drama queens lol but that's not my concern...I have trouble finding time to eat breakfast I mean from the time I wake up to the time I leave the house it gives me about an hr and a half which doesn't give me time to eat and then by lunch I am starving. I have started bringing my own lunch(frozen dinners) to cut out fast food but I know that breakfast is important...any advice

Do you feed your children in the morning? Feed faster to prepare foods or foods you can make In advance. Eat or drink while you are doing other things and take food with you.
    Fruit, raw vegetables, granola bars, 1/4 c of trail mix, a muffin, a piece or cheese, some peanut butter on a slice of bread are all fast and portable. It takes a few seconds to grab and eat any of these things and is better than going hungry all morning.
    Sip a smoothie while you are all getting ready or on your commute.

Put your children to bed in the clothes they are going to wear the next day. Have bags packed the night before. Figure out your outfit the night before. Get up 20 minutes earlier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take my breakfast with me to work and eat it at my desk usually. Also, breakfast is only important if it's important to you. I personally love breakfast...but breakfast isn't a requirement.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Can you put together a breakfast the night before? Or even make a big container of something like yogurt with berries and protein powder over the weekend, and then portion it out into small containers you can take with you to eat on your way to work or at the beginning of your workday once you get there?

When I have a really early morning, I make my breakfast and lunch the night before, and all I have to do is snatch it out of the fridge and go.