How bad is it to do weight machines 2 days in a row?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am generally of the school of alternating days for a full body program...but I'm also of the school of hitting it pretty hard on those days and needing some recovery time...I'm also 40 and sometimes just existing hurts.

I still do other things on recovery days though...I cycle pretty much 5-6 days per week and I do pull ups pretty much every day as well as push ups and some kind of core work on most days. I do not however get under a heavy squat bar on back to back days, etc. In my experience it is counterproductive, but that's going to depend a lot on what you're after.

I think for what you're doing, you'll be fine
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    IndianCat3 wrote: »
    and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back.

Tell that to Olympic Lifters, Norwegian powerlifters, Chinese Weightlifters, and various other athletes.

I think the disagreement here is stemming from different training objectives. Strength athletes train at much higher frequency because they're not training high volume and taking sets to failure. Bodybuilders won't normally train the same body part until it has recovered because they are seeking growth not strength. High volume and failure training requires longer recovery, so they wouldn't train the same body part back to back days.

The OP is training for weight loss and isn't likely doing high volume to failure, so back to back shouldn't be a major issue, though the upper/lower split would be the best option under the circumstances.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    One can't compare how the bodies of professional athletes respond to training and how they recover to an unfit and overweight amateur. And the aforementioned athletes certainly won't train like that all the time, and probably not even the majority of the off season.

Rather train twice a week than on back-to-back days if you are doing a full body routine. If you want to train once during the week and then sat & sun, you could do a full body strength focused exercise during the week, and then an upper/lower split in the weekend where you go for more volume.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back.

Tell that to Olympic Lifters, Norwegian powerlifters, Chinese Weightlifters, and various other athletes.

I think the disagreement here is stemming from different training objectives. Strength athletes train at much higher frequency because they're not training high volume and taking sets to failure. Bodybuilders won't normally train the same body part until it has recovered because they are seeking growth not strength. High volume and failure training requires longer recovery, so they wouldn't train the same body part back to back days.

The OP is training for weight loss and isn't likely doing high volume to failure, so back to back shouldn't be a major issue, though the upper/lower split would be the best option under the circumstances.

I never said it was intended for the OP. I was clarifying the misinformation being regurgitated that you cannot train a movement on subsequent days.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    One can't compare how the bodies of professional athletes respond to training and how they recover to an unfit and overweight amateur. And the aforementioned athletes certainly won't train like that all the time, and probably not even the majority of the off season.

Rather train twice a week than on back-to-back days if you are doing a full body routine. If you want to train once during the week and then sat & sun, you could do a full body strength focused exercise during the week, and then an upper/lower split in the weekend where you go for more volume.

No one was.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

She said, "if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back" which is what he was responding to. She made a blanket statement that was incorrect and he was informing her she was wrong. He wasn't telling everyone to go hard and hit every part every day no matter what their goal is.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

I'd argue it's probably better to exercise once during the week and once each on Saturday and Sunday than to exercise once during the week and only once on either Saturday or Sunday.

There is no certain harm and her goals are not inconsistent with back-to-back workout days. Ideal? Perhaps not...but better (IMHO) than the 2 days/week alternative you provided.
  • feralX
    Options

I never said it was intended for the OP. I was clarifying the misinformation being regurgitated that you cannot train a movement on subsequent days.

I know, I was just pointing out where I think the different opinions were coming from. You correctly listed a group of athletes that train with an extremely high frequency, but a lot of people on here wouldn't realize those are strength/power sports. Just trying to clarify that for body builders the general rule would be to avoid training back to back, and that's what Indiancat's trainer would likely be referencing. Many of the members of MFP aren't particularly knowledgeable about the different training styles and just assume all weight lifters are following strength protocols. I was trying to reduce the confusion for them.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I know, I was just pointing out where I think the different opinions were coming from. You correctly listed a group of athletes that train with an extremely high frequency, but a lot of people on here wouldn't realize those are strength/power sports. Just trying to clarify that for body builders the general rule would be to avoid training back to back, and that's what Indiancat's trainer would likely be referencing. Many of the members of MFP aren't particularly knowledgeable about the different training styles and just assume all weight lifters are following strength protocols. I was trying to reduce the confusion for them.

You did, they jus want to bash me and they want to be "right"
    I'm over it...do the split options, tha is best.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Solid post for clarity! Kudos
  • feralX
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

She said, "if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back" which is what he was responding to. She made a blanket statement that was incorrect and he was informing her she was wrong. He wasn't telling everyone to go hard and hit every part every day no matter what their goal is.

I understood what he was saying and wasn't disagreeing with anything he said. Just trying to make it clear to those that don't have a clear concept of the different training styles that there are different guidelines for different objectives.

And yes, blanket statements are rarely a good idea to make.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

You did, they jus want to bash me and they want to be "right"
    I'm over it...do the split options, tha is best.

Nope, not looking to bash. Just looking to point out that you shouldn't make sweeping statements and perpetuate misinformation without having much of a knowledge base.

I'll post regarding any sort of misinformation I come across. Not to bash, but clarify.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You will be a bit fatigued but you aren't just going to fall apart and die like some people might suggest. Look at people like farmers, construction workers, people in the moving industry, athletes,...they do the same physical labor every day every week every year for 20+ years. They break down over time but so does everyone as they age.

So don't worry about it. You won't optimize your muscle growth by working out two days in a row, since muscle needs recovery time to grow properly. But, you really won't hurt yourself either. Our bodies are more resilient than people give them credit for.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.

There are many athletes out there that would disagree with that statement.

I think she was just responding to the context of what is generally touted here. Most here either want to build muscle, strength or prevent muscle loss. In that context, back to back workouts in the same muscle group is generally not recommended.
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.

I think she was just responding to the context of what is generally touted here. Most here either want to build muscle, strength or prevent muscle loss. In that context, back to back workouts in the same muscle group is generally not recommended.

That's not an accurate statement either really...Needs further context. More factors.
  • usmcmp
    Options

She made a blanket statement and LolBroScience told her that was incorrect.

Also, in context of the OP: he's just doing 3 full body workouts every week. There's no harm in back to back workouts.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

That's not an accurate statement either really...

Well technically neither is yours so it depends how semantic you want to be about it.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Well technically neither is yours so it depends how semantic you want to be about it.

Its a sweeping statement to say there are many athletes and noncompetitive athletes who train at high frequency?

• JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014
    Options

Its a sweeping statement to say there are many athletes and noncompetitive athletes who train at high frequency?

The sky is also blue and water is also wet. In the context of the OP, she mentions muscle building. So to me, that implies a more of a muscle building goal. She also said light weights so she could also be referring to high frequency. I've never used free weights or machines for the same muscle group two days in a row though. High or low frequency.

She could probably get away with some light workout two days in a row. I'm not sure why she would do that when she has a host of other things she could do vs the same muscles again but that wasn't her question.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

She made a blanket statement and LolBroScience told her that was incorrect.

Also, in context of the OP: he's just doing 3 full body workouts every week. There's no harm in back to back workouts.

Well there's another nice blanket statement. Harm for whom? Who are you talking about? Pro athletes or middle aged Jo Schmos?