How bad is it to do weight machines 2 days in a row?

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If we get enough blankets, we can donate them to charity
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    IndianCat3 wrote: »
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.

There are many athletes out there that would disagree with that statement.

I think she was just responding to the context of what is generally touted here. Most here either want to build muscle, strength or prevent muscle loss. In that context, back to back workouts in the same muscle group is generally not recommended.

That's not an accurate statement either really...

Well technically neither is yours so it depends how semantic you want to be about it.

Its a sweeping statement to say there are many athletes and noncompetitive athletes who train at high frequency?

The sky is also blue and water is also wet. In the context of the OP, she mentions muscle building. So to me, that implies a more of a muscle building goal. She also said light weights so she could also be referring to high frequency. I've never used free weights or machines for the same muscle group two days in a row though. High or low frequency.

She could probably get away with some light workout two days in a row. I'm not sure why she would do that when she has a host of other things she could do vs the same muscles again but that wasn't her question.

K, so bias.

Like I said, never recommended to the OP. I said, it's not an accurate statement as there are programs out there where can you train muscle groups back to back. Bulgarian training, Undulating Periodization, and other programs can allow for it.

Matthew Perryman - Squat Everyday http://amzn.to/1xwgvqt

Ever done Squats one day, Deadlifts on the following day? I have. Many people have.
    Ever done Bench on one day, OHP on the following day? I have. Man people have.
    Ever done Weighted Chinups or Pulls, bicep work on the following day? I have. Many people have.

I think you catch my drift.
  • JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've never done bench press two days in a row or deadlifts two days in a row, OHP two days in row etc...

If you're doing compound movements, it's almost impossible NOT to use the same muscles in some capacity if you lifting 2 days in a row.

Did the OP mention any of those programs in her post? I don't think full body machine work outs and Bulgarian training should be mentioned together. Besides, taking a 30 min break in between sets?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.

There are many athletes out there that would disagree with that statement.

I think she was just responding to the context of what is generally touted here. Most here either want to build muscle, strength or prevent muscle loss. In that context, back to back workouts in the same muscle group is generally not recommended.

She made a blanket statement and LolBroScience told her that was incorrect.

Also, in context of the OP: he's just doing 3 full body workouts every week. There's no harm in back to back workouts.

Well there's another nice blanket statement. Harm for whom? Who are you talking about? Pro athletes or middle aged Jo Schmos?

The OP. That's why I said in context of the OP. I didn't make a blanket statement, I made a statement about a single person.
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've never done bench press two days in a row or deadlifts two days in a row, OHP two days in row etc...

If you're doing compound movements, it's almost impossible NOT to use the same muscles in some capacity if you lifting 2 days in a row.

Did the OP mention any of those programs in her post? I don't think full body machine work outs and Bulgarian training should be mentioned together. Besides, taking a 30 min break in between sets?

I cannot comprehend how you're still fixated on the OP. I never addressed OP once. My comment was in regards to "you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row".

It does not say based upon your goals, training level, or any other number of specifications.
  • JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014
    Options

I cannot comprehend how you're still fixated on the OP. I never addressed OP once. My comment was in regards to "you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row".

It does not say based upon your goals, training level etc.

I think the OP is relevant because the person you were replying to, was originally replying to the OP. Her general statement is probably in the context of what most tout here. As for her reply to the OP, she probably didn't realize the OP was doing a full body workout (light). Which we will just assume is light enough to do back to back.

After which you two got into it specifically. Yeah she was wrong but it was probably she didn't read the full body light machine workout part. I'm just guessing here.

Just stating working the same body part back to back is in general, not bad advice. Stating that in the context of the OP's question is a little incorrect
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Did the OP mention any of those programs in her post?

FYI: the OP is a male
  • usmcmp
    Options

I think the OP is relevant because the person you were replying to, was originally replying to the OP. Her general statement is probably in the context of what most tout here. As for her reply to the OP, she probably didn't realize the OP was doing a full body workout (light). Which we will just assume is light enough to do back to back.

The OP clearly states Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Well of course that makes all the difference right?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    ^ See above statement Jeff
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

The OP clearly states Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?.

I know that. I'm guessing the person that replied to him, either didn't see it or doesn't understand enough about fitness to realize that's okay.
  • usmcmp
    Options

It lets me know you didn't really look into the OP or their post. You came in to fight with LolBroScience. You completely ignored the OP's post.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

I know that. I'm guessing the person that replied to him, either didn't see it or doesn't understand enough about fitness to realize that's okay.

So, it makes my statement nonetheless.... Accurate.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

He's going to do most likely a full body workout on the machines. It's hard NOT to work the same muscle groups twice in a row when you are actually trying to work most of your muscles in one workout. In the context of the OP's post, it's fine. He says, it's a light workout.
  • usmcmp
    Options

According to her in another post she only goes to the gym to take the spin class and she does fitness DVDs at home. You're confirming that she is probably not a good source of information about lifting routines.
  • JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014
    Options

It lets me know you didn't really look into the OP or their post. You came in to fight with LolBroScience. You completely ignored the OP's post.

There's at least 3 blanket statements in there.

I didn't come into here to "fight" with anyone. I also did read the OP's post but didn't pay attention to the gender. And I certainly did not "ignore" the OP's post.

I just replied to the person in question her. Faster, more efficient.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

If you need it to be, I guess
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Great, so thanks for adding absolutely nothing of value and lengthening the thread an additional page. Back to square one.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Great, so thanks for adding absolutely nothing of value and lengthening the thread an additional page. Back to square one.

dude you had to bring Bulgarian lifting into your argument here. LOL. How does that "add" to the thread? You went on some mission to "fight" with this lady when you could have just as easily quantified your statements more clearly. You just said she was incorrect and waited for the reply so you could tell her how wrong she is. Come on man..
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

According to her in another post she only goes to the gym to take the spin class and she does fitness DVDs at home. You're confirming that she is probably not a good source of information about lifting routines.

For your information, that is not all that I do, so check yourself, I do lifting as well. Why you gonna bring that up when that doesn't even apply to this post, I don't care what you guys say, I NEVER seen ppl work the same muscle group back to back days. And I stand by it when I say it is not recommended. So before you go put my damn business out there, u better come correct!!!