What to cut out. An explanation please.

Options
124»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical problems, you don't need to cut out any food groups. All you need to do is eat in a deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cut down on calories...that's it. Yes, it's that simple. You may want to make adjustments to your diet to provide for satiety and to provide for a more balanced and nutritious diet...but you don't have to eliminate anything. Foods aren't fattening...eating too many calories is fattening.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP Keep it simple.
    Find a reasonable & sustainable calorie deficit.
    In the beginning worry about logging and reaching or getting close to your daily calorie goal (it is a goal you are supposed to reach it not stay drastically under it)
    Don't go drastically changing everything. Learn about portion control, logging accurately.
    Once you get the logging down, start looking at macros (protein, fats and carbs)

When I started I couldn't exercise either due to medical reasons... but after 3 months of losing weight I was able to start including some basic exercise, now at 2 years I run, lift and bike. So you can make these changes it takes lots of time, lots and lots of patience, a willingness to learn, and being brutally honest with yourself.

But you do not have to cut out any food unless you have a medical condition that would require it, but again keep it simple. Oh and my rule for myself was to eat ice cream or dessert nightly .. it's worked perfectly.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same food I used to, just a lot less of it.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I cut out sugar, potato and wheat...no bread, pasta. (I will have these things every once in a while...like once or twice a month when dining out.) Limit saturated fats, but unsaturated fats are fine and even healthy. And make sure you eat a lot of protein...I target 30% of my calories from protein. 15% is not enough.

Many people will say you can eat anything as long as you reduce calories. That is true, but you can lose more fat if you limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. And if you eat a lot of protein more of the weight you lose will be fat loss and less muscle will be lost. There is research that proves this. Finally, eating protein will keep you feeling full much longer than carbs. This will naturally help you reduce overeating.

OP - ignore this bro science…

limiting carbs has nothing to do with increased fat loss….

please post said research...

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

A lot of people have an easier time losing weight on a low carb diet as ketosis reduces hunger. Some find they don't need to log because they are not hungry enough to eat their way out of a deficit. Low carb diets are associated with higher rates of weight loss. The higher weight loss is due to a higher deficit (and the inefficiencies of getting energy from fat and protein), but the higher deficit is due to better compliance which is due to lower hunger/higher satisfaction. That being said, you do not have to cut any foods out to lose weight (and even low carb diets include some carbs - don't try living without fiber). Some people find cutting some foods out triggers binges and cravings, making limited diets like Atkins difficult. Some find they need the flexibility to eat in a socially appropriate manner on special occasions (birthday cake, thanksgiving dinner), making elimination difficult.

Other people find reducing some foods (like carbs) will actually reduce hunger and cravings (over time, not right away). If you want to feel fuller and manage cravings, reducing or limiting some foods may help (i.e. sugar, trigger foods). If you want to be healthier, eating a balanced diet with leafy greens, fiber, adequate protein, and all your micronutrients will help. Eventually, finding out what works is a combination of education and experience - pay attention to what you eat, how you feel, and what meets your macros, and you will figure out the best way for you to meet your fat loss goals. Best wishes :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I cut out sugar, potato and wheat...no bread, pasta. (I will have these things every once in a while...like once or twice a month when dining out.) Limit saturated fats, but unsaturated fats are fine and even healthy. And make sure you eat a lot of protein...I target 30% of my calories from protein. 15% is not enough.

Many people will say you can eat anything as long as you reduce calories. That is true, but you can lose more fat if you limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. And if you eat a lot of protein more of the weight you lose will be fat loss and less muscle will be lost. There is research that proves this. Finally, eating protein will keep you feeling full much longer than carbs. This will naturally help you reduce overeating.

A lot of people have an easier time losing weight on a low carb diet as ketosis reduces hunger. Some find they don't need to log because they are not hungry enough to eat their way out of a deficit. Low carb diets are associated with higher rates of weight loss. The higher weight loss is due to a higher deficit (and the inefficiencies of getting energy from fat and protein), but the higher deficit is due to better compliance which is due to lower hunger/higher satisfaction. That being said, you do not have to cut any foods out to lose weight (and even low carb diets include some carbs - don't try living without fiber). Some people find cutting some foods out triggers binges and cravings, making limited diets like Atkins difficult. Some find they need the flexibility to eat in a socially appropriate manner on special occasions (birthday cake, thanksgiving dinner), making elimination difficult.

Other people find reducing some foods (like carbs) will actually reduce hunger and cravings (over time, not right away). If you want to feel fuller and manage cravings, reducing or limiting some foods may help (i.e. sugar, trigger foods). If you want to be healthier, eating a balanced diet with leafy greens, fiber, adequate protein, and all your micronutrients will help. Eventually, finding out what works is a combination of education and experience - pay attention to what you eat, how you feel, and what meets your macros, and you will figure out the best way for you to meet your fat loss goals. Best wishes :)

The very first study from your link: "The difference was statistically significant at 3 and 6 months, but not 12 months." Meaning they lost more weight initially, but it evened out over time. That's because low carb diets lead to initial water weight losses. Fat loss is the same. As for compliance, that's totally subjective. Most studies I've glanced over have shown low carb to have lower long term compliance (humans love carbs, it's human nature; it's why we evolved to detect the taste of sugar.)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Authority Nutrition is not an unbiased source.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0100652
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917151935.htm
    "For the first eight weeks, all the participants ate a traditional high-fiber East Asian diet with 70% of calories from carbohydrates, 15% from protein and 15% from fat, and providing 15 g fiber/1,000 kcal."
    "For the second eight weeks, 33 of the volunteers (20 Asian Americans and 13 Caucasian Americans) transitioned to a typical low-fiber western diet with 50% of calories from carbohydrates, 16% from protein and 34% from fat, and providing 6 g fiber/1,000 kcal."
    Maintaining those steady body weights for trial participants was a challenge, King remarks. "It was almost impossible to prevent people from losing weight on the Asian diet, and that was not because the food wasn't good!" he says. "And almost everybody gained weight on the western diet, and we had to work very hard so they didn't gain too much."
    On the 70% carbohydrate diet they were dropping weight too fast!
  • tigersword
    Options
    What do you mean unbiased? You mean pubmed doesn't have popup ads pushing their books?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. As you say, fitness clubs, books, and experts make it seem complicated. It's really not.

As for your target: the numbers look low to me if you're really tracking everything. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight.

Focus on a long-term sustainable eating plan. Most people find that mean lots of whole foods, vegetables, fruits, complex carbs, and lean protein sources. OTOH I know people who've been successful eating pretty much nothing but junk food (fast food and chips) but practicing portion control to keep calories in check. You can lose weight either way, but better quality food will lead to better overall health.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Just like your mother (or grandmother) told you. Some foods are "better for you" than others. For more information about healthy choices, check out the "Healthy Eating Plate" from Harvard's School of Public Health.

They lost me at "avoid bacon". Don't they know bacon is delicious?
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    stevew_68 wrote: »
    Someone did explain this in a post of mine, but I cannot find it.

An explanation in simplest terms would be appreciated. Also the sorts of foods I need to eat and avoid.

Thanks

You asked for simplest terms-

I know I need a calorie deficit.

I know I need to have proper nutrition…that means lean meats (I do not eat cold-cuts), green veggies, fruits etc. – all the things we have been taught)

I know I love a 100-150 calorie snack most nights. (popcorn / jello/ fiber bar – whatever in 100 calories or less packages.

I simply work backwards using that knowledge and making decisions on where to spend my calories.

Like you, I have had multiple issues – back (hospitalizations & ambulance rides)’ Heart-related issues; arthritis and others – all require daily meds.

In just over 1 year I have lost 169 pounds.

Best wishes to you.
  • kyta32
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

The very first study from your link: "The difference was statistically significant at 3 and 6 months, but not 12 months." Meaning they lost more weight initially, but it evened out over time. That's because low carb diets lead to initial water weight losses. Fat loss is the same. As for compliance, that's totally subjective. Most studies I've glanced over have shown low carb to have lower long term compliance (humans love carbs, it's human nature; it's why we evolved to detect the taste of sugar.)

I'm not sure what you mean by compliance being subjective. Either the dieter is compliant (in ketosis) or they aren't. I agree that being in ketosis means I'm carrying around 4 less pounds of water than I would be otherwise, but that 4 pounds would not carry me through 6 months of increased weight loss.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694
    In this study, increased weight loss was maintained for 12 months...

I've been losing 3-4 pounds a week, and I'm rarely hungry, usually only after I've had a lot of exercise, after a high carb treat, or after a cheat day. To be fair, I've only been in ketosis for a few months, about the last 45 pounds.

I get why people would have a hard time staying compliant with a low-carb plan, and mentioned some of the reasons in my post. I just wanted to point out that there is research supporting increased weight loss with ketosis, the importance of adequate protein, and it is generally accepted that protein is more satisfying than carbohydrates. Ultimately each dieter ends up doing what works best for them :)
  • kyta32
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

"For the first eight weeks, all the participants ate a traditional high-fiber East Asian diet with 70% of calories from carbohydrates, 15% from protein and 15% from fat, and providing 15 g fiber/1,000 kcal."
    "For the second eight weeks, 33 of the volunteers (20 Asian Americans and 13 Caucasian Americans) transitioned to a typical low-fiber western diet with 50% of calories from carbohydrates, 16% from protein and 34% from fat, and providing 6 g fiber/1,000 kcal."
    Maintaining those steady body weights for trial participants was a challenge, King remarks. "It was almost impossible to prevent people from losing weight on the Asian diet, and that was not because the food wasn't good!" he says. "And almost everybody gained weight on the western diet, and we had to work very hard so they didn't gain too much."

Authority Nutrition may not be unbiased, but I believe the studies quoted are....I don't know about the palatability of an Asian diet (natto, wasabi, basashi, and all the seaweed you want). The information on the study is pretty scarce. It's too bad they didn't provide more information, like how many calories provided a day (probably 2000+ to maintain weight) and whether the fiber was from soluble or unsoluble sources. At 2000, and 30 grams of unsoluble fiber, that would have the Asian foods group netting 80 calories fewer/day than the American foods group, enough to cause differences in weight outcomes. If the protein intake was insufficient, there would be further weight loss from loss of lean mass. Just not enough info there to evaluate the validity of this study.

You do realize, that you are claiming CICO is invalid when you state two groups on the same calories lost different amounts of weight due to eating different macros? That's a little dangerous on these boards... ;)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Reduce calories to lose weight. Cut from fat if you're active, and carbs if you're not. Do not change protein intake unless it's out of line with your weight and activity level.
  • tigersword
    edited December 2014
    Options

Authority Nutrition may not be unbiased, but I believe the studies quoted are....I don't know about the palatability of an Asian diet (natto, wasabi, basashi, and all the seaweed you want). The information on the study is pretty scarce. It's too bad they didn't provide more information, like how many calories provided a day (probably 2000+ to maintain weight) and whether the fiber was from soluble or unsoluble sources. At 2000, and 30 grams of unsoluble fiber, that would have the Asian foods group netting 80 calories fewer/day than the American foods group, enough to cause differences in weight outcomes. If the protein intake was insufficient, there would be further weight loss from loss of lean mass. Just not enough info there to evaluate the validity of this study.

You do realize, that you are claiming CICO is invalid when you state two groups on the same calories lost different amounts of weight due to eating different macros? That's a little dangerous on these boards... ;)

It doesn't actually state anywhere that the calories were the same. Why would you assume they were? All it gave were macro ratios. It stated quite clearly that calories were adjusted individually to maintain weight, as the study was on metabolic function, not weight loss.

Or did you not read the actual article?
  • kyta32
    Options

It doesn't actually state anywhere that the calories were the same. Why would you assume they were? All it gave were macro ratios. It stated quite clearly that calories were adjusted individually to maintain weight, as the study was on metabolic function, not weight loss.

If they don't state how many actual calories were eaten, or how they determined goal calories, then any implications of composition/weight loss go out the window (differences could have been purely caloric). This sounds like a poorly designed study...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

If they don't state how many actual calories were eaten, or how they determined goal calories, then any implications of composition/weight loss go out the window (differences could have been purely caloric). This sounds like a poorly designed study...

Read it and find out. It wasn't a weight loss study, it was a study on insulin sensitivity.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0106851
  • kyta32
    Options
    Thanks for the link...I hadn't read the full study before. The authors mentioned fiber as a confounder in the weight loss, as I did. As I said, the net calories would have been lower for the TAD (70% carbs) group by up to 80 than the TWD group with both groups eating at calculated maintenance. Also, the correspondence between weight and fat loss was moderate, indicating some of the weight loss was lean mass.

Another confonder would be the high drop out rate (24%) and the low palatablity of the food (the first diet presented had less than 40% thinking the food was good or excellent). An interesting study on insulin sensitivity, but I'm not sure how well it applies to real-world approaches to weight loss.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been said. Maybe the barista/trainer said that because fat, sugar, and carbs tend to have more calories per gram, than say, lean meat and vegs, so by suggesting you cut those out, you're cutting calories. But at the end of the day the only thing that will make you lose weight is a calorie deficit.

Look at it this way: it's easy to eat 300 calories worth of french fries, hard to eat 300 calories worth of lettuce. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heck, for the first couple weeks all you have to get used to is tracking everything you eat. Studies show that the very act of tracking inspires weight loss. Probably because the cost of counting everything we put in our mouth can be a bit of a chore.

After you have a couple weeks of data, you will have a much better idea what sorts of changes you want to make. Did you lose after you started tracking? Then keep on doing what you did.