I am eating almost 1000 calories a day but i am worried that its not enough....

Options

Replies

• Arrigo99
    Options
    Based on your weight loss, you are also losing at a VERY rapid rate. Depending on how much to have to lose, you may be really harming your body. Remember that your heart is a muscle and when you under eat for survival, then you are damaging (losing) your muscles, including your heart.

If you could give us your stats, height, weight, age, we could better direct you on what would actually be a healthy lifestyle versus what might be a very disordered eating lifestyle. A few of us have gone through this ourselves and so we would rather not see someone destroying their health.

I started out at 211.8 , 5'7, 21 years old, i am now 194.6lbs.

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will be fine, but your health and appearance will probably suffer. It's unlikely you're getting enough vitamins, fat, protein, etc on so few calories.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Arrigo99 wrote: »
    if im not hungry im not going to eat plain and simple.

Then why are you asking? I don't get it. Your title says that you're worried you're not eating enough, and when people tell you that you're probably not eating enough, you get defensive.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

You can consume more calories without consuming more food. Choose foods with more caloric density.

what foods do you recommend then ?? I like about everything :)

Anything you like! You don't have to limit or restrict yourself. Just eat what you normally would eat, just less of it. Fit the foods you love into your calorie goal.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What is your current exercise routine?
  • Arrigo99
    Options

You can consume more calories without consuming more food. Choose foods with more caloric density.

what foods do you recommend then ?? I like about everything :)

Anything you like! You don't have to limit or restrict yourself. Just eat what you normally would eat, just less of it. Fit the foods you love into your calorie goal.

Thank you!
  • Arrigo99
    Options
    sola24 wrote: »
    What is your current exercise routine?

I usually try for 4-5 times a week i usually run and do core and weights.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i get my carbs from my fruits.. an apple has almost 30grams of carbs.. i eat fruit all day.

If you eat less than a 1000 calories a day there is no way that you can eat fruit " all day long ".
    And since you state so categorically that you won't eat if you are not hungry, a straight forward question: if that is the case why are you here, since obviously you don't want any advise.

• ptargino
    ptargino Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm male, 6ft3, 227lbs (started at 262) and I ride 10 miles/day 5-6 days a week (600-700 kcal/day) and I usually consume 1200 calories daily. I'm not starving myself to death and I'm satisfied with my weight loss rate (4 lbs/week).

We're on the same boat :)
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    A pretty aggressive weight loss is about 2 lbs a week, you lost about twice that amount in a month. At 5'7" with a good exercise routine, which it looks like you have, you can eat a lot more and still lose weight.

I'm 5'7" and three times older than you, I exercise about the same in a week and I lose weight on 1600 - 1700 calories a day and feel great.

I think you'll be more successful in the long run if you eat more.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't know your situation, so it is at least possible that 1,000 calories is enough for you. There is no magic in the 1200 number. That is a guideline that is meant for "most" people. For some people, that is not nearly enough. Some can probably safely go lower. You might want to speak to your doctor if you want to keep it that low...if he is okay with it don't let a bunch of random people on the internet discourage you. You say you eat a bit more when you exercise, so that is a good thing.

However, if you know you are getting enough protein and eating a lot of fruits and vegetables you are probably filling your nutritional needs. If you feel good...not weak, not cold, dizzy, etc. then this may be okay for you.

My advice if you don't consult an expert would be to try to up the calories a bit. First of all, if you do eventually stall it would be nice to be able to drop your calories to get the weight loss moving again. You really can't go any lower than you are now. Second, I have read conflicting studies on whether a prolonged significant calorie deficit slows metabolism. I don't think anybody knows with 100% certainty. If you can still lose and eat a little more it might not be a bad idea just in case.

I think a good rule of thumb any time you want to go outside of conventional guidance is to talk to a good doctor who is familiar with both your history and current on nutritional research. Then you can feel confident that you are making choices that are good for you.
  • Arrigo99
    Options
    ptargino wrote: »
    Well, I'm male, 6ft3, 227lbs (started at 262) and I ride 10 miles/day 5-6 days a week (600-700 kcal/day) and I usually consume 1200 calories daily. I'm not starving myself to death and I'm satisfied with my weight loss rate (4 lbs/week).

what do you eat ?? I changed my calorie goal to 1200 calories per day but now i have to add in other things to get there!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and sedentary. My TDEE - 20% = 1036 calories. If I eat more, I gain. Not everyone is the same.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You might feel ok now, but it will probably impact you later on eating so little. I was the same at your age, I probably ate about the same amount. I was living in France when I was 21 (at university) and hardly eating, but drinking a lot! I lost a lot of weight, and carried on with restrictive eating and working out a lot for a while. When I moved in with my now husband at 26, and started my teacher training, I started eating normally and didn't have the time for as much exercise and gained weight quite quickly. So I did the same thing to lose it, and of course I gained in pregnancy as I ate normally again.

Now I've learned that I can eat 1500-1600 calories and lose weight, and look better for it! I wish I'd known that when I was 21.

If you're looking for things dense in calories, have things like peanut butter, cheese, nuts...
  • Arrigo99
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't know your situation, so it is at least possible that 1,000 calories is enough for you. There is no magic in the 1200 number. That is a guideline that is meant for "most" people. For some people, that is not nearly enough. Some can probably safely go lower. You might want to speak to your doctor if you want to keep it that low...if he is okay with it don't let a bunch of random people on the internet discourage you. You say you eat a bit more when you exercise, so that is a good thing.

However, if you know you are getting enough protein and eating a lot of fruits and vegetables you are probably filling your nutritional needs. If you feel good...not weak, not cold, dizzy, etc. then this may be okay for you.

My advice if you don't consult an expert would be to try to up the calories a bit. First of all, if you do eventually stall it would be nice to be able to drop your calories to get the weight loss moving again. You really can't go any lower than you are now. Second, I have read conflicting studies on whether a prolonged significant calorie deficit slows metabolism. I don't think anybody knows with 100% certainty. If you can still lose and eat a little more it might not be a bad idea just in case.

I think a good rule of thumb any time you want to go outside of conventional guidance is to talk to a good doctor who is familiar with both your history and current on nutritional research. Then you can feel confident that you are making choices that are good for you.

This is awesome advice and i do have an appointment with my family doctor soon.. i gained over 60 pounds in one year so i hope she lets me continue because i have had all the tests done to make sure that my thyroid and such are working properly. Thank you for your response !
  • Arrigo99
    Options
    You might feel ok now, but it will probably impact you later on eating so little. I was the same at your age, I probably ate about the same amount. I was living in France when I was 21 (at university) and hardly eating, but drinking a lot! I lost a lot of weight, and carried on with restrictive eating and working out a lot for a while. When I moved in with my now husband at 26, and started my teacher training, I started eating normally and didn't have the time for as much exercise and gained weight quite quickly. So I did the same thing to lose it, and of course I gained in pregnancy as I ate normally again.

Now I've learned that I can eat 1500-1600 calories and lose weight, and look better for it! I wish I'd known that when I was 21.

If you're looking for things dense in calories, have things like peanut butter, cheese, nuts...

thank you :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

That's ridiculous

Do you actually realise how much or your LBM you're canabilising by netting 500 calories a day

Road to crash and burn
  • Arrigo99
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you working out at all?
    And everyone telling you to eat more is right.
    Not negativity but experience.
    Changing a lifestyle is good but not good enough if not sustainable.
    And eating 1000 cals a day is anything but sustainable.

THANK YOU for being a genuine person.. i just started so personal advice is appreciated... apparently im not normal for the way i have been eating. And yes the days i exercise i eat more of course.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

That is really unhealthy. If you are not doing this under doctor supervision... even worse. You should be eating probably twice that amount, if not more.