I am eating almost 1000 calories a day but i am worried that its not enough....

Options

Replies

• ptargino
    ptargino Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Arrigo99 wrote: »
    what do you eat ?? I changed my calorie goal to 1200 calories per day but now i have to add in other things to get there!

You can take a look at what I eat here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ptargino

But I mostly eat fruits, salad, whole grain rice/bread, chicken breast, non fat milk, cereal bars, etc. I usually eat 300-350 kcal per meal, plus 100 kcal per snack, every 3 hours. Been doing it for 2 months now and It's working great so far :)
  • Arrigo99
    Options
    ptargino wrote: »
    what do you eat ?? I changed my calorie goal to 1200 calories per day but now i have to add in other things to get there!

You can take a look at what I eat here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ptargino

But I mostly eat fruits, salad, whole grain rice/bread, chicken breast, non fat milk, cereal bars, etc. I usually eat 300-350 kcal per meal, plus 100 kcal per snack, every 3 hours. Been doing it for 2 months now and It's working great so far :)

i took a look but its in a different language :) haha thanks tho and im glad you can relate to me.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats into MFP's goals section. It will tell you exactly how many calories to eat and exactly which percentage of protein/fats/carbs/sugar/sodium you should be eating.

For your health's sake, you would do best to eat a balanced diet consisting of at least 1200 calories per day of lean meats/fish/poultry, beans and bean products (such as tofu), lowfat dairy, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts and seeds. Some treats can be included, too.

When you start to eat the right foods for your body, you will start to experience both the feelings of hunger when you need to eat, and satiety when you are full.
  • ptargino
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    That is really unhealthy. If you are not doing this under doctor supervision... even worse. You should be eating probably twice that amount, if not more.

Well, these values fluctuate. I never stay below 1200, but I hardly go over 1400. I did see an endocrinologist prior to starting my diet (In fact, she prescribed me appetite suppressors), and I do follow ups every month. I know a lot of people are going against of what I'm doing, but since for the first time in my life I'm getting actual results, I'll keep doing it. I'm over 50% of my goal and when I get there, I'll slowly up my food intake to prevent any slingshot effects.

And I'm in fact gaining lean body mass, not losing. My legs are fitter/stronger than ever with all the biking :wink:

I appreciate all the concern, but I'm feeling better than ever! :)
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ptargino wrote: »
    Well, I'm male, 6ft3, 227lbs (started at 262) and I ride 10 miles/day 5-6 days a week (600-700 kcal/day) and I usually consume 1200 calories daily. I'm not starving myself to death and I'm satisfied with my weight loss rate (4 lbs/week).

We're on the same boat :)

I still don't get the reason for doing something like this.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    PS, Since you are exercising, you should eat back half of your exercise calories. For instance, if you burn off 500 calories in a day, you should eat an extra 250 calories so your body will have enough fuel to burn.
  • ptargino
    Options
    i took a look but its in a different language :) haha thanks tho and im glad you can relate to me.

Sorry, I forgot about that :) I'm brazilian, so my log is mostly in portuguese. I eat mostly what I told you, but if you're curious about any food in particular, it's easy to translate.

Anyways, it's nice to have someone to relate you :smiley:

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned this yet? If you are losing weight at too fast a pace -- like 4 pounds a week, for instance -- you are very likely losing muscle as well as fat.

Here are some things in your body that are made of muscle:

1. your eyes
    2. your heart
    3. your anal sphincter

If you want to lose muscle in any of those places, go for it!

Otherwise, you might want to consider slowing down your rate of loss so that you are losing fat rather than muscle.

• kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Experiment with your numbers, see if you can eat more and still lose weight. I'm 5'2", 117 lbs and I still lose eating 1700-1900 every day (netting 1450ish). I maintain eating 2100-2300 gross (typically 1800 net).

We all start out somewhere. I began here eating 1200 a day. It wasn't enough for me, so I did research and over time figured out how to eat better and still eat more. I became an awesome cook because of this, too!

My best advice on all of this: Do exercise that you enjoy. Walk, run, swim, play sports, exercise at home/gym/whatever. Eat what you like. Learn to cook it at home, too. This is a process of figuring things out that work for you. Don't stick with just one thing, you may be passing up a world of opportunity!

Edited to add: I don't do "clean" eating, but I do make healthier choices most of the time. I don't believe in "good" or "bad" foods. I eat both, just less than I did before.
  • dj0jazzy
    dj0jazzy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat about the same amount every day so understand exactly where your coming from. Its not like I don't eat its just that I try to limit my calorie intake. I feel like I eat a lot of food but still stick around 1000 calories. I don't understand why you need that many calories if you are fueling your body throughout the day with healthy foods.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dj0jazzy wrote: »
    I eat about the same amount every day so understand exactly where your coming from. Its not like I don't eat its just that I try to limit my calorie intake. I feel like I eat a lot of food but still stick around 1000 calories. I don't understand why you need that many calories if you are fueling your body throughout the day with healthy foods.

Full range of nutrition

Fuelling exercise and activity

Avoiding your lean muscle disappearing

Variety

Treats

Not crashing and burning

Long-term lifestyle change not a short-term diet

Being in the 5% of people who keep their weight off
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You might feel ok now, but it will probably impact you later on eating so little. I was the same at your age, I probably ate about the same amount. I was living in France when I was 21 (at university) and hardly eating, but drinking a lot! I lost a lot of weight, and carried on with restrictive eating and working out a lot for a while. When I moved in with my now husband at 26, and started my teacher training, I started eating normally and didn't have the time for as much exercise and gained weight quite quickly. So I did the same thing to lose it, and of course I gained in pregnancy as I ate normally again.

Now I've learned that I can eat 1500-1600 calories and lose weight, and look better for it! I wish I'd known that when I was 21.

If you're looking for things dense in calories, have things like peanut butter, cheese, nuts...

thank you :)

I should add that I'm 5'6. I went from 220lbs when my 2nd baby was 8 weeks down to 154lbs by eating 1500 calories a day. I do workout a lot though.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The question that crosses my mind is are you working out or not? If you are not exercising at all, then maybe 1000 calories won't actually flatline you and you'll be okay. If you are working out, you'll most likely need to bring it up to 1200 because even if you feel okay now, you may start feeling like crap at some point. The thing to consider is whether you are burning mostly fat, or whether a lot of your muscle tissue is going with it. Losing muscle quite frankly sucks for several reasons, and makes you feel like crap as well. I guess the best thing to do for now is pay close attention to your energy levels and your strength, and make sure you have enough protein and iron and calcium. A vitamin D supplement might not hurt either.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ive been eatting anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day depending on my level of activity (and if it is a cheat day or not).

A lot of people have told me that it is too few calories for a guy who is 6'4. However, I have been successful and have lost 130lbs so far.

The big thing is that not everyone is the same. Different people have different reactions to how their body will respond. This was the only time in my life that I have actually lost weight. I have always been a big man, ever since I was in 2nd grade and suddenly became bigger than all the kids around me.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    dj0jazzy wrote: »
    I have no problem with this. If you eat 1,000 calories today and it is the RIGHT foods, then it can be healthy. Pasta and sugar has very little nutritional value. An egg or an apple or a chicken breast has a lot of nutritional value. If your 1,000 calories fill your protein needs and get you the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and the fats you NEED to function, it is healthy.

Most people eat a lot of crap so they NEED to eat more calories to fill their needs.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    if im not hungry im not going to eat plain and simple.

Awesome, but perhaps learn something about nutrition and then you can start to diet safely and effectively. Alternatively get your Dr to refer you to a dietician so you can learn and they can supervise you.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One thing I did not see (sorry if I missed it) is that weight loss can be very fast for the first few weeks. I lost 75 pounds in 18 months with the first 35 - 40 coming off in about 2-1/2 to 3 months (I started with Weight Watchers, switched to Atkins when bored with WW, then switched to MFP when bored with Atkins). Your tremendous progress might slow down soon.

My suggestion is to read, read, and read some more. I tend to ignore the extreme's and listen to those who had a "normal" way to weight loss. Of course, how you define "normal" is a personal preference.

P.S. Now that I am in maintenance, if find that counting calories and eating what I want is much easier than doing a restrictive diet. IMHO - I also feel that counting calories is sustainable for a lifetime whereas a diet like Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, WW, is not.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned this yet? If you are losing weight at too fast a pace -- like 4 pounds a week, for instance -- you are very likely losing muscle as well as fat.

Here are some things in your body that are made of muscle:

1. your eyes
    2. your heart
    3. your anal sphincter

If you want to lose muscle in any of those places, go for it!

Otherwise, you might want to consider slowing down your rate of loss so that you are losing fat rather than muscle.

I hate to break this to you, but regardless of how many calories you eat you are always losing muscle along with fat. It is unavoidable when losing weight. The goal is to try to make more of the loss fat instead of muscle. And what you eat is more important than how much you eat when it comes to that. That is why it is better to eat more protein...THAT is what helps your body conserve the muscle and burn more of the fat. Most people don't eat nearly enough protein.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think you've got this under better control than people are giving you credit for. Still, 1000 is less than recommended and your weight loss is faster than recommended. If you're being monitored by a doctor, than great.

Here's what to watch for...
    • Your hair and fingernails will stop growing. Your nails develop lines. Your hair falls out in your brush.
    • You'll lose more than 2 lbs a week (and some more of that comes from lean tissue than if you had lost more slowly)
    • Your periods will be interrupted or irregular
    • You'll ignore hunger signals
    • Your moods will be off or different
    • Your sleep isn't what it was
    • Irregularity in the restroom
    • You're having gall bladder trouble
    • Your liver tests are coming back bad (blood test required)

And if none of that is happening, you may be alright until you're at your goal weight, when it's time to eat right, you'll find the transition back to normal eating too dramatic and struggle to maintain your desired weight.

My advice is to add more calories. Eat at least 1200 now or have the doctor watch you closely. When you're approaching your goal weight, add 100 daily calories every couple of days and make sure you have positive control so when you do lose that last pound, you have good control without feeling like you don't know how to suddenly each so much. The goal really isn't weight loss, it's weight control. A free fall isn't as good as a controlled loss or controlled maintenance. Use this effort to get to know how to control your weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    I think you've got this under better control than people are giving you credit for. Still, 1000 is less than recommended and your weight loss is faster than recommended. If you're being monitored by a doctor, than great.

Here's what to watch for...
    • Your hair and fingernails will stop growing. Your nails develop lines. Your hair falls out in your brush.
    • You'll lose more than 2 lbs a week (and some more of that comes from lean tissue than if you had lost more slowly)
    • Your periods will be interrupted or irregular
    • You'll ignore hunger signals
    • Your moods will be off or different
    • Your sleep isn't what it was
    • Irregularity in the restroom
    • You're having gall bladder trouble
    • Your liver tests are coming back bad (blood test required)

And if none of that is happening, you may be alright until you're at your goal weight, when it's time to eat right, you'll find the transition back to normal eating too dramatic and struggle to maintain your desired weight.

My advice is to add more calories. Eat at least 1200 now or have the doctor watch you closely. When you're approaching your goal weight, add 100 daily calories every couple of days and make sure you have positive control so when you do lose that last pound, you have good control without feeling like you don't know how to suddenly each so much. The goal really isn't weight loss, it's weight control. A free fall isn't as good as a controlled loss or controlled maintenance. Use this effort to get to know how to control your weight.

^^ This