Is A Physically Demanding Job Sufficient?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you clean the apartments alone? Throw in some body weight exercises as you clean? 5 sets of squats, lunges, push-ups mixed into a clean apartment

Use your cleaning products as counter weights ...a full bucket with arm rows?

Get inventive

And btw possibly time to realise that our scale weight in our teens does not become our ideal scale weight for life ... Take measurements / photos and ignore the absolute weight
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just to support everyone saying body-comp is the answer – my tummy became immediately flatter once I started exercising. I actually still have trouble believing it. My weight has literally refused to budge in the past three weeks (as in I need to be extremely precise with when I weigh to see any difference), but everything is becoming flatter and more toned which is really startling. I'd like to say I gain muscle fast, but as I am eating at a deficit the most likely answer is that I had so little muscle mass before starting my noob gains look amazing. :smiley:
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do you clean the apartments alone? Throw in some body weight exercises as you clean? 5 sets of squats, lunges, push-ups mixed into a clean apartment

Get inventive

And btw possibly time to realise that our scale weight in our teens does not become our ideal scale weight for life ... Take measurements / photos and ignore the absolute weight

You could strap on ankle and wrist weights to increase your exercise. :smiley:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Get inventive

+10 to the bolded part above. A goal weight equal to your weight at age 17, when you were still a *child,* is almost certainly unrealistic and likely unattainable anyway. You are now an adult woman, and your body's shape and ideal weight are going to be different than when you were a teenager.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that your inspirations listed on your profile page say a lot. There appears to be some disordered thinking.

None of us should be repulsed by our bodies regardless of the weight, and you certainly have no reason to be repulsed by your body, at 130lb you have a bmi 21.6.

Why at your current weight would you feel that you need to hide yourself away and not leave the house?

Are you currently undertaking any counselling? If not, perhaps you should seriously consider it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

yes, i know. i think that term needs to stop being used on here for people who are perfectly normal, but don't lift in order to be perfectly toned. it's just another way to body shame people.

First off, lifting is encouraged, so as to retain muscle mass while losing fat, not to "tone". Skinny/fat, is not a term that was "coined" on MFP, it's a description used to describe people who have lost weight, without maintaining muscle. It isn't used in a derogatory sense nor to "body shame" as you're stating.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest, you don't look like you need to lose weight. I think you might be better off focusing on a recomp than a scale weight.

Recomp?
    I really eant to lose my thighs, and my gut. I am also self-conscious about my boobs, and I hope they decrease at 115 lbs.

A recomp is when you basically stay around the same weight and change your body shape, which is what it sounds like you want to do. You retain lean body mass and lose body fat, but the number on the scale doesn't really change. You are already at perfectly healthy weight for your height, and with your history of disordered eating, I would not recommend trying to lose weight.

All your "trouble" spots are the same ones I have, and focusing on recomping seems to be helping. All weight loss seems to do at this point is take weight from the places I don't want to lose and hang on to it in the places that I do, because that's where my body naturally wants to store fat. And as for boobs…well, they might reduce a little as you lose body fat in a recomp, but ultimately it is going to come down to genetics and the amount of breast tissue. I've come to accept that an E cup is pretty much going to be my ground floor.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Skinny/ fat is the term used quite often on MFP to describe someone who is within their ideal weight but still has a rather high BF.

SkinnyCandii, I wasn't being rude using the phrase, you had said you weren't happy with your body shape no matter what your weight was, and that you didn't have time for the gym.
    I took it that you wanted to improve your shape as well as lose a few pounds, I offered a simple home routine that would help you achieve that.

I worked as a 'chambermaid' in my 20's and though it burnt the calories, it didn't noticeably improve my overall physique.
    So yes, as I had posted, you could lose the weight you want eating at the correct deficit, but you would probably still be unhappy with your shape.

By the way I said I thought you wanted to lose the skinny/fat look. Not that you were skinny/fat.

My advice was valid for the information I had, and the terminology I used was within the scope of common usage on MFP.
    You asked for thoughts; those were mine.

Cheers, h.

yes, i know. i think that term needs to stop being used on here for people who are perfectly normal, but don't lift in order to be perfectly toned. it's just another way to body shame people.

It's not body shaming - it's the end result of bad dieting methods without the exercise to retain muscle mass - you get to goal weight with higher fat.

It would be body shaming if someone felt they looked fine and you pointed out their flabby underarms and overhanging waist when they bent slightly.

It's not body shaming when some already describes the results and you are merely letting them know the name of it. Or trying to warn them of the end result if they want to do the diet the wrong way.

Because guess what, search google for improve skinny fat, you'll get some good results. And losing more weight isn't one of them.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4" (I was just naturally skinny), then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't due to dieting at all. She said she was naturally thin at 115, so I believe her. Based on my own body this seems reasonable. The term skinny fat needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

Get inventive

+10 to the bolded part above. A goal weight equal to your weight at age 17, when you were still a *child,* is almost certainly unrealistic and likely unattainable anyway. You are now an adult woman, and your body's shape and ideal weight are going to be different than when you were a teenager.

she's only 20. it's only 3 years later. Anyway, I am 40 and close to the same weight I was when I was 17 which lasted through much of my 20's in the first place.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

First off, lifting is encouraged, so as to retain muscle mass while losing fat, not to "tone". Skinny/fat, is not a term that was "coined" on MFP, it's a description used to describe people who have lost weight, without maintaining muscle. It isn't used in a derogatory sense nor to "body shame" as you're stating.

lifting is good. i disagree with you about the rest.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Skinny/ fat is the term used quite often on MFP to describe someone who is within their ideal weight but still has a rather high BF.

SkinnyCandii, I wasn't being rude using the phrase, you had said you weren't happy with your body shape no matter what your weight was, and that you didn't have time for the gym.
    I took it that you wanted to improve your shape as well as lose a few pounds, I offered a simple home routine that would help you achieve that.

I worked as a 'chambermaid' in my 20's and though it burnt the calories, it didn't noticeably improve my overall physique.
    So yes, as I had posted, you could lose the weight you want eating at the correct deficit, but you would probably still be unhappy with your shape.

By the way I said I thought you wanted to lose the skinny/fat look. Not that you were skinny/fat.

My advice was valid for the information I had, and the terminology I used was within the scope of common usage on MFP.

Cheers, h.

It's not body shaming - it's the end result of bad dieting methods without the exercise to retain muscle mass - you get to goal weight with higher fat.

It would be body shaming if someone felt they looked fine and you pointed out their flabby underarms and overhanging waist when they bent slightly.

It's not body shaming when some already describes the results and you are merely letting them know the name of it. Or trying to warn them of the end result if they want to do the diet the wrong way.

Because guess what, search google for improve skinny fat, you'll get some good results. And losing more weight isn't one of them.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4", then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't do to dieting at all. The term needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.

Again, the term does not refer to someone being a normal size and having body fat. It does not refer to someone not having a stomach that is completely flat. You keep throwing around this term as being offensive because you are not defining it correctly.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Cheers, h.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4", then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't do to dieting at all. The term needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.

Again, the term does not refer to someone being a normal size and having body fat. It does not refer to someone not having a stomach that is completely flat. You keep throwing around this term as being offensive because you are not defining it correctly.

people use it to describe people in these categories though. the o.p. is normal sized and with a normal amount of fat, but people are calling her "skinny fat". it HAS been used numerous times on mfp to describe these people. I haven't even seen an example of someone who is normal weight, where this is a good descriptor without it being offensive.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've read through all the comments on here and to OP, it seems like you have some body issues and maybe you need to talk to someone about that. Why do you think there is something wrong with your boobs? You're a woman, you're suppose to have breasts and curves. You are by no means overly large. You have a good proportioned body. All those super skinny models with flats chests are not normal!!! As other posters have said you don't really need to lose weight you need to recomp. You need to start lifting so you will build more muscle tone which will burn body fat which in turn will make you look thinner. At 5'5" you are at a healthy weight if you were to lose 15lbs you would be looking very unhealthy. Losing weight is not going to change the make up of your body. I have thick legs and cankles.....I hate them!!!!! But I am realizing that that is how my body is made and I have to deal with it. I will never have lean, slender legs no matter how much weight I lose. Good luck to you and all the best!

5'5" and 115 would not necessarily be uhealthy. it isn't even considered underweight according to bmi. it depends on her body type. she could look perfectly fine at that weight.

Why is this flagged? The healthy BMI range for 5'5" is 111.5-149.5 lb. It seems like people just flag stuff they don't like. It's for terms violations, it's not a vote.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4" (I was just naturally skinny), then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't do to dieting at all. She said she was naturally thin at 115, so I believe her. Based on my own body this seems reasonable. The term skinny fat needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.

And yet most of the women responding are telling you there's nothing wrong with the term. In fact, it's used by many people seeking help to rectify the situation, and also used to describe men as well
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aviva92,
    At this point you are flogging a dead horse,I respect your decision to find skinny/fat an offensive term.

If you want to see skinny/fat look at my aviatar. I am 5'1 and 105lb and skinny/fat in it.

Now lets get back to helping SkinnyCandii - if she is still bothering to read this hijacked thread.
    -
    If you wish to debate the term further start a thread.
    Cheers, h.
  • Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aviva92,
    At this point you are flogging a dead horse,I respect your decision to find skinny/fat an offensive term.

If you want to see skinny/fat look at my aviatar. I am 5'1 and 105lb and skinny/fat in it.

Now lets get back to helping SkinnyCandii - if she is still bothering to read this hijacked thread.
    -
    If you wish to debate the term further start a thread.
    Cheers, h.

no, you are just skinny.

and if you don't wish to debate this further, you shouldn't make a post where you are debating it such as this one.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4" (I was just naturally skinny), then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't do to dieting at all. She said she was naturally thin at 115, so I believe her. Based on my own body this seems reasonable. The term skinny fat needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.

And yet most of the women responding are telling you there's nothing wrong with the term. In fact, it's used by many people seeking help to rectify the situation, and also used to describe men as well

also plenty who hate the term. they are just not posting in here.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that your inspirations listed on your profile page say a lot. There appears to be some disordered thinking.

None of us should be repulsed by our bodies regardless of the weight, and you certainly have no reason to be repulsed by your body, at 130lb you have a bmi 21.6.

Why at your current weight would you feel that you need to hide yourself away and not leave the house?

Are you currently undertaking any counselling? If not, perhaps you should seriously consider it.

Hmmm yes I just looked at her "friends." Several of them start with "ana."

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone that has struggled with anorexia, and has recovered to a physically healthy place can benefit from strength training. I'm not saying her goals are disordered. I'm responding to her profile. I do think dealing with the underlying psychological issues is important.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The title of the thread asks "Is a Physically Demanding Job Sufficient?" I believe that she was asking if that was sufficient for exercise. Obviously that depends on her goal but the bottom line is, yes probably. If she wants to lose weight, that is up to her and if that is her goal then she needs to eat at a deficit. Exercise is to help burn calories and to be fit. Seems like this thread has gotten a bit derailed. It's good to be physically active. If you work in an office you might need to hit the gym or take a long walk. If you have a physically active job, you are probably getting fitness benefits from your work. That's the answer to her original question.