Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Zhost wrote: »
    Also, Zhost, I have read your comments and really appreciate your links. I did not know that protein consumption stimulated insulin production. As I read the article I realised that I have a great deal more to learn about blood sugar levels and the assumptions I have bought into regarding carbohydrates. Thank you.

Insulin spikes are not inherently bad, it's the blood glucose levels after that cause the crash.

For some people....

For some people? Definitely not a minority.

Care to support that claim?

Also, you seem to be moving the goalposts - where in that wiki link you gave does it show that a 'sugar crash' causes increased appetite as you claimed earlier?

From the wiki -
    The majority of these symptoms, often correlated with feelings of hunger, mimic the effect of inadequate sugar intake as the biology of a crash is similar in itself to the body’s response to low blood sugar levels following periods of glucose deficiency.
    And it even tells you to eat more sugar to fix it, just to start the cycle anew.

And a sugar crash, for your average person occurs after overeating any kind of carb, heck even protein (but that's a lot of protein). It's a blood glucose thing.

Odd that it was not in the symptoms list - maybe because its a correlation or mimic (which I am not saying is not real to the individual).

What I am still confused about with your argument, is that you agree that insulin spikes suppresses appetite, but are arguing that BG levels increase it. Seems a bit of a push/pull to me - which is probably why its very individual (and does not impact everyone), which comes back to the other question - about supporting the claim that a majority of people suffer from increased appetite due to carbs.

You're correct its not in the symptom list. And while the saying goes causation=/=correlation, it should be noted that sometimes people do in fact eat again, otherwise the wiki wouldn't even have it there.

Yes I agree insulin can suppress appetite. And yes blood glucose is affected more by carb intake, which in general is eaten more than protein. The average American's protein intake is far less than their carb intake. And while it's individual, most individuals aren't special snowflakes when it comes to bodily functions.

Have never disagreed that some people do in fact eat again (even though wikipedia is not the best source to use tbh).

You seem to be hung up on the average American's protein intake - its a theme. First of all, we are not 'average American' not tracking intake on here. Secondly, blanket statements are, well, blanket statements and should not be assumed to be relevant for everyone.

And what has special snowflake and not having sugar crashes got to do with anything? Not having a sugar crash does not make one a special snowflake and has nothing to do with 'bodily functions'.

Also, still waiting for that support.

Go look at your average American. That's the support you need. Seriously, they're not fat because of a high protein low carb diet or even keto. It's because they eat of mix of processed *kitten* that usually ends up being high carb junk.

Eat too many carbs? Insulin spike and then blood glucose levels go crazy. And I guarantee the average american is gonna grab more carbs to settle it.

ok...so, not able to actually support your claim...good to know.

Also, errr...back to dat dere insulin spike again...I thought it was not an issue...now it is...we come full circle...and still using the same MO.

And here I a go explaining, again.

Insulin spike, not so big deal, helps deal with satiety, in which protein actually helps better than carbs.
    BG spike, not so good. Might cause issues, ie sugar crash.

That's it.

You may be explaining, but you have still not supported your claim that I requested and also, insulin spike does not necessarily mean BG go wild, which is not what you inferred before.

Your link itself shows a higher BG response from high carb.

Zhost forgive me for jumping in here, but this debate is pertinent to me personally, because I have gone from trying to avoid sugar to the trying to fit it in camp. Does this "higher BG response from high carb" only suggest you shouldn't eat a high carb diet or does it suggest that you should not eat moderate amounts of sugars/carbs?

In the end it's all CICO for weight loss, but that's where it stops. How healthy you are at the end depends on what you ate to get there. High carb restricted eating will help you lose weight, but I'd be interested in seeing your bloodwork.

Can you provide studies showing blood markers of health significantly got worse after weight loss, for any of the diets?
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    ok..I am out..trying to debate with someone who's support is what they assume the average american eats without any support whatsoever, and who is also using this apparent 'average american' to apply to everybody, including those on this site is an exercise in futility.

See ya, enjoy those carbs for me would ya? I'm not a fan of cytokine elevation (Go back some pages for info on that).

I will - they do me very well for my training and as such my body comp thank you very much - as well as tasty. Also, lol at the cytokine elevation comment...really? really? lol.

And ketones will do the same for me, the basic glucose my body will need will come from the natural low GI complex carbs from veggies or GNG.

That's nice.

Difference is, I have not actually argued that your preference for restricting calories is an issue, unlike the other way round.

So....

Arguing against why people shouldn't eat a lot of carbs/sugar is what then?

Huh?

At this point I'm so far removed from why I originally posted here (Inflammation/cytokines/sugar) that I'm losing track of everything.

So keep doing you, I'll do me.
  • Zhost
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Also, Zhost, I have read your comments and really appreciate your links. I did not know that protein consumption stimulated insulin production. As I read the article I realised that I have a great deal more to learn about blood sugar levels and the assumptions I have bought into regarding carbohydrates. Thank you.

Insulin spikes are not inherently bad, it's the blood glucose levels after that cause the crash.

For some people....

Also, you seem to be moving the goalposts - where in that wiki link you gave does it show that a 'sugar crash' causes increased appetite as you claimed earlier?

From the wiki -
    The majority of these symptoms, often correlated with feelings of hunger, mimic the effect of inadequate sugar intake as the biology of a crash is similar in itself to the body’s response to low blood sugar levels following periods of glucose deficiency.
    And it even tells you to eat more sugar to fix it, just to start the cycle anew.

And a sugar crash, for your average person occurs after overeating any kind of carb, heck even protein (but that's a lot of protein). It's a blood glucose thing.

Odd that it was not in the symptoms list - maybe because its a correlation or mimic (which I am not saying is not real to the individual).

What I am still confused about with your argument, is that you agree that insulin spikes suppresses appetite, but are arguing that BG levels increase it. Seems a bit of a push/pull to me - which is probably why its very individual (and does not impact everyone), which comes back to the other question - about supporting the claim that a majority of people suffer from increased appetite due to carbs.

You're correct its not in the symptom list. And while the saying goes causation=/=correlation, it should be noted that sometimes people do in fact eat again, otherwise the wiki wouldn't even have it there.

Yes I agree insulin can suppress appetite. And yes blood glucose is affected more by carb intake, which in general is eaten more than protein. The average American's protein intake is far less than their carb intake. And while it's individual, most individuals aren't special snowflakes when it comes to bodily functions.

Have never disagreed that some people do in fact eat again (even though wikipedia is not the best source to use tbh).

You seem to be hung up on the average American's protein intake - its a theme. First of all, we are not 'average American' not tracking intake on here. Secondly, blanket statements are, well, blanket statements and should not be assumed to be relevant for everyone.

And what has special snowflake and not having sugar crashes got to do with anything? Not having a sugar crash does not make one a special snowflake and has nothing to do with 'bodily functions'.

Go look at your average American. That's the support you need. Seriously, they're not fat because of a high protein low carb diet or even keto. It's because they eat of mix of processed *kitten* that usually ends up being high carb junk.

Eat too many carbs? Insulin spike and then blood glucose levels go crazy. And I guarantee the average american is gonna grab more carbs to settle it.

Also, errr...back to dat dere insulin spike again...I thought it was not an issue...now it is...we come full circle...and still using the same MO.

Insulin spike, not so big deal, helps deal with satiety, in which protein actually helps better than carbs.

That's it.

You may be explaining, but you have still not supported your claim that I requested and also, insulin spike does not necessarily mean BG go wild, which is not what you inferred before.

Zhost forgive me for jumping in here, but this debate is pertinent to me personally, because I have gone from trying to avoid sugar to the trying to fit it in camp. Does this "higher BG response from high carb" only suggest you shouldn't eat a high carb diet or does it suggest that you should not eat moderate amounts of sugars/carbs?

In the end it's all CICO for weight loss, but that's where it stops. How healthy you are at the end depends on what you ate to get there. High carb restricted eating will help you lose weight, but I'd be interested in seeing your bloodwork.

Can you provide studies showing blood markers of health significantly got worse after weight loss, for any of the diets?

I should've put a note saying, this was actually a personal question in that I'm just curious as to what it'd be. This wasn't a statement for argument.

Though, if you'd like I can provide mine from ditching carbs and sugars.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ok..I am out..trying to debate with someone who's support is what they assume the average american eats without any support whatsoever, and who is also using this apparent 'average american' to apply to everybody, including those on this site is an exercise in futility.

See ya, enjoy those carbs for me would ya? I'm not a fan of cytokine elevation (Go back some pages for info on that).

I will - they do me very well for my training and as such my body comp thank you very much - as well as tasty. Also, lol at the cytokine elevation comment...really? really? lol.

And ketones will do the same for me, the basic glucose my body will need will come from the natural low GI complex carbs from veggies or GNG.

That's nice.

Difference is, I have not actually argued that your preference for restricting calories is an issue, unlike the other way round.

So....

Huh?

At this point I'm so far removed from why I originally posted here (Inflammation/cytokines/sugar) that I'm losing track of everything.

My huh? was in reference to me arguing against why people should not eat a lot of carbs/sugar - although the double negative there is confusing. I have never argued that people should not restrict sugar if the circumstances are appropriate. I have questioned your 'facts' and assertions.

Heck, I go into vegetarian threads and argue against spurious claims by vegetarians as to why you should not eat meat, and I am a vegetarian. Debating facts is not slamming someone's dietary choices. However, your snarky comments about mine were.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

For some people....

From the wiki -

No. It doesn't matter why type diet you eat when it comes to weight loss, the only thing that counts is calories in/calories out. Someone can live off "processed *kitten*," as you call it, and still lose weight. Likewise, a person can eat no processed foods and gain weight.

You can eat carbs all day long and still lose weight. You might not have a whole lot of energy due to an unbalanced diet, but if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

Wrong. What matters is what you eat. You are what you eat. I ate more than what was "required" to lose 50 pounds and I lost it. Why??? Well, I didn't eat things that cause fat to be stored very easily. I eat consistently day after day - and I am active. If I do those two things, I cannot fail.

You are speaking in terms of failure. At some point, you stop depriving yourself of calories and then you gain. Why??? Cause you go back to the very method by which you would've retained the very weight you lost in the first place.

The human body cannot process and keep what is not possible - eating the right foods consistently with physical activity renders your point moot.

BOOM!!!

What things that you eat cause fat to be stored easily? As in, more easily than others?

For some people....

From the wiki -

No. It doesn't matter why type diet you eat when it comes to weight loss, the only thing that counts is calories in/calories out. Someone can live off "processed *kitten*," as you call it, and still lose weight. Likewise, a person can eat no processed foods and gain weight.

You can eat carbs all day long and still lose weight. You might not have a whole lot of energy due to an unbalanced diet, but if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

Wrong. What matters is what you eat. You are what you eat. I ate more than what was "required" to lose 50 pounds and I lost it. Why??? Well, I didn't eat things that cause fat to be stored very easily. I eat consistently day after day - and I am active. If I do those two things, I cannot fail.

You are speaking in terms of failure. At some point, you stop depriving yourself of calories and then you gain. Why??? Cause you go back to the very method by which you would've retained the very weight you lost in the first place.

The human body cannot process and keep what is not possible - eating the right foods consistently with physical activity renders your point moot.

BOOM!!!

What things that you eat cause fat to be stored easily? As in, more easily than others?

Refined sugar and all processed foods.

Interesting, please substantiate these claims. If you had said something like high fat foods, since fat is most easily stored as fat, then maybe but sounds like you just made them up.

So are pre cut apple slices really really bad, since they have sucrose and are processed?

I am still waiting for his proof that fat is just inflamation.

Me too, because that has to be one of the most absurd claims I've ever heard on this forum.
    However, I did learn that you can give even the most ridiculous statement your stamp of credibility by adding words like "BAM!" or "BOOYEAH!" as a closing.

BOOYAH!

It only counts if it's a BOOM!
  • Zhost
    Options

That's nice.

So....

Huh?

My huh? was in reference to me arguing against why people should not eat a lot of carbs/sugar - although the double negative there is confusing. I have never argued that people should not restrict sugar if the circumstances are appropriate. I have questioned your 'facts' and assertions.

Heck, I go into vegetarian threads and argue against spurious claims by vegetarians as to why you should not eat meat, and I am a vegetarian. Debating facts is not slamming someone's dietary choices. However, your snarky comments about mine were.

The only possible snarky comments I could've made were asking if you knew what a sugar crash was and cytokines. If you take offense to them, I apologize but the first comment was a legit question and the second has to do with what I came here for originally.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Zhost, may I ask a question pertaining to weight fluctuation? I have attempted to remain loyal to the simple formula you have presented (each time someone asks), and I am noticing success with weight loss. The but in the sentence is that I reside in a humid/hot climate in Australia and notice weight differences on a day to day basis which cannot be explained by fat storage etc. The fluctuation can be as extreme as 2 to 3 kg. I am wonder if you might comment on this and direct me to pertinent links? Merci
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

For some people....

From the wiki -

BOOM!!!

BOOM back at you, sweetheart! :wink: :smiley:

You are missing the point. When it comes to weight loss only, calories in/calories out is all that counts. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

You are what you eat refers to nutrition, energy, and body composition.

The reason you don't gain weight is because you eat enough calories to maintain your weight. The dietary plan you choose is preference only because you can gain or lose weight on any type of diet if you eat more than your body needs.

• Zhost
    Options
    Zhost, may I ask a question pertaining to weight fluctuation? I have attempted to remain loyal to the simple formula you have presented (each time someone asks), and I am noticing success with weight loss. The but in the sentence is that I reside in a humid/hot climate in Australia and notice weight differences on a day to day basis which cannot be explained by fat storage etc. The fluctuation can be as extreme as 2 to 3 kg. I am wonder if you might comment on this and direct me to pertinent links? Merci

What formula? Also that sounds like water weight to me. I'd look at your sodium/potassium/magnesium levels for electrolyte imbalances?
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    F

What formula? Also that sounds like water weight to me. I'd look at your sodium/potassium/magnesium levels for electrolyte imbalances?[/quote
    Formula related to calories in and calories out
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    F

What formula? Also that sounds like water weight to me. I'd look at your sodium/potassium/magnesium levels for electrolyte imbalances?[/quote
    Formula related to calories in and calories out

So if not water weight, what do you believe it is?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=f51IfMX7iKg

3 minutes long. Doctor states sugar cravings are due to low protein in take and or low on minerals.

Posts do pop up stating to eat more protein to cut sugar cravings on MFP sometimes.
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My approach is kind of both ways. I first focused on getting the deficit (Total Calories) with out worrying too much about what I ate. Pretty much smaller portions. Which is where I am now and I am loosing about 3-4 lbs a month, which suits me fine. Now I an going to start trading out some "bad" food for "good" food.

To be honest I do not want to be a purest when it comes to all the food I eat. I enjoy eating too much to do that, but I do need to make some adjustments though. Slow and steady works for me. Changing one meal out of the week adds up over time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That's nice.

So....

Huh?

The only possible snarky comments I could've made were asking if you knew what a sugar crash was and cytokines. If you take offense to them, I apologize but the first comment was a legit question and the second has to do with what I came here for originally.

Odd question to make though when I gave no indication that I had not heard of it and in fact my responses made it very clear that I had and I was not arguing that some people did not suffer from them, but its all good. The second question may have been what you came here fore but I am not sure where you felt the need to include it in the response - it was obviously a dig and I am not sure how it even relates to my training or my body composition - but I am not going to trawl through the thread and then trawl through the links to find out whether it may or may not.

It goes back to my prior comment of me not actually arguing that your preference for restricting calories is an issue, unlike the other way round.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but calories! I could careless about the carbs, sugar, salt, etc... I only count calories and it works...
    58369279.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

For some people....

From the wiki -

That's it.

When you say "blood markers", what do you mean? I see the phrase used here a lot. I'm familiar with a lot of blood tests and don't need them or the results explained. I know that what is "normal" in one hospital might not be "normal" in another, etc. Not asking for specifics on you (or anyone else's,) personal medical stuff, either.

Usually, when I hear "markers", they refer to something much more specific and the word isn't used the way it is here. I know people are using it in a different way, but it have no clue what it is.

Just, what tests, specifically, are in that "blood markers" group?

This is not a question designed to begin a fight. I'd really like to know just wth people are talking about when they say that. :)
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not going to provide any links to studies as there are so many saying various things and I can only go on my own personal experience.

But I feel cutting sugar and carbs and increasing fat intake has improved my weight loss rate. Essentially I think when you are obese you will lose fairly easily from pure CICO but I found once I got closer to a normal BMI and also physically very fit ( I run ) it was far harder to lose at the same rate. So this last autumn I decided to reduce sugar to 60g a day and try to eat 35 % carb, 40% fat and 25% protein as part of a modest calorie deficit ( 1800 a day ). The result? A weight loss rate similar to my original one back in 2012, and I am now very close to target weight.

So I conclude, for myself at least, that sugar control is a key component of a calorie based weight loss process. And the good thing is, I love to eat fats and protein anyway - and happy to get my sugar mainly from fresh fruits in the morning!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    :) Good for you Paul. I hope you not only reach your target weight but you remain in good health as well.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    OMG. I'm starting to realize that reading these unbearable, never ending, insufferably boring, pathologically tenacious, academically tedious, and laughably obstinate sugar threads are making me not like sugar that much anymore. By virtue alone of its association with these threads. It's making me not want to see, hear about or taste sugar ever again. Sometimes I'm glad I joined this site.

lol What is it that makes us come back for more is beyond me. :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I thought that this thread had been deleted, but I see it's still here, in all it's sugary glory....lol
This discussion has been closed.