Weigh & Measure EVERYTHING vs. It's just one day!!!

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    HA so in another thread I mention I plateaued and of course, first thing "I see a couple days that look incomplete."

"It's just one day" only applies selectively. It's for really fit people. Don't log a couple dinners out of 30 and say you're trying to lose weight and someone will point it out for sure.

No, it's that "it's just one day" will vary based on how accurate and consistent you are the rest of the time.

A few days out of 30 is over a month a year. You need perspective.

And obviously if you're plateauing after a few "just one days" then you're having too many "just one days".

Why is that obvious? It's natural to have stalls during weight loss, especially if you don't have much to lose. Logging doesn't change that.

Is this a serious question?

If you're having several days a month of not logging/eating whatever you want and you stop losing weight, is it more likely that you're having a regular stall or that you're eating too much?

More likely? IDK that either would be more likely. I imagine it would be very idividualized. Not logging doesn't mean you are grossly overeating, just as logging doesn't mean you are within goal.

We're not talking about not logging though. We're talking about "just one day" as in overeating.

From the OP:
    "It's just one day! Enjoy yourself! Go nuts!"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    HA so in another thread I mention I plateaued and of course, first thing "I see a couple days that look incomplete."

"It's just one day" only applies selectively. It's for really fit people. Don't log a couple dinners out of 30 and say you're trying to lose weight and someone will point it out for sure.

No, it's that "it's just one day" will vary based on how accurate and consistent you are the rest of the time.

And obviously if you're plateauing after a few "just one days" then you're having too many "just one days".

Why is that obvious? It's natural to have stalls during weight loss, especially if you don't have much to lose. Logging doesn't change that.

Yeah but i'm literally 40-50lbs overweight. So explain that nonsense. I'm no where near my goal. And it's not like I'm eating an entire cheesecake or something wacky on the days I go over. I'm talking going out to dinner for chinese food. Having a piece of cake at a party. Again, it makes no sense doing this a couple times a month would have a significant effect. It doesn't seem to for all the food braggers and the "just have fun, don't worry about it" people.

How much are you going over by?

Your original post was very generic. If you're actually looking for help, I'm sure people are willing to do so.

Who knows? I guess that was the jest of the thread/question. I was trying to get a feel for how often people who have been successful didn't log meals. Do these people still go out to eat every week or two? Go to parties/holiday events and actually have cake or snacks? Or are they 100% "I even log aspirin" loggers?

Like I kind of eluded to. I've asked for help before. I got the default response. "Well you're eating too much. You're not in a deficit. I see you didn't log this one night out in the last two weeks. That's why, etc etc." Wow. OK, so because I went to a chinese food one night and wasn't sure how to log it that's why I've been stalled? OK, so people shouldn't go out then right and shouldn't go to parties etc? "No no no! It's just one day! Don't worry about it! The holidays only comes once a year! Eat all the foods! You can still go out to eat! It's no big deal!"

So which is it?

EDIT: to be clear, I eat out about once a week, maybe once every two weeks. So I'm not saying literally one meal made me plateau.

I never log my food and I've been slowly but steadily losing. We eat food not prepared at home (take out or restaurant) about 2-3 times a month. I eat snacks and desserts, though not every day. We party a lot and on average I overeat at least once a week. But, I also have fairly low calorie days most weeks. I don't like to eat the same number of calories every day.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My mom and I had an argument about the 'It's just one day" mentality the other day. I know that if I say "it's just one day" the next I'll say "it's just one day" and it will be weeks before I get back on the boat. And I don't feel Christmas is just one day. It's various days. Heck from Dec. 1st to Jan. 1st we have food everywhere in our office. If I ate 1 thing everyday on top of my normal eating habits I'd be up 5lbs easy in a month. My rule is "I don't care WHAT day it is, I'm going to stay on track".

We also have the "I'll start next week" argument a lot too? She says it is so she can eat what she'll miss before she starts. So, you'll gain 5lbs in that week before that you have to get off plus what you started with? Just start now.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My mom and I had an argument about the 'It's just one day" mentality the other day. I know that if I say "it's just one day" the next I'll say "it's just one day" and it will be weeks before I get back on the boat. And I don't feel Christmas is just one day. It's various days. Heck from Dec. 1st to Jan. 1st we have food everywhere in our office. If I ate 1 thing everyday on top of my normal eating habits I'd be up 5lbs easy in a month. My rule is "I don't care WHAT day it is, I'm going to stay on track".

We also have the "I'll start next week" argument a lot too? She says it is so she can eat what she'll miss before she starts. So, you'll gain 5lbs in that week before that you have to get off plus what you started with? Just start now.

I'm sorry, but if you say "It's just one day", you misuse the words in the sense that they are meaningless. When I utter the expression, it means just what I say.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sooooooo why can't I splurge on christmas AND log everything I ate?

I'm a nerd- I need consistency- even on 'bad' days.

The upside of consistent logging is most people will realize their 'bad' days are not really all that bad.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Since I turned to a healthy lifestyle and lost 30 lbs my desire for 'those' types of days have really vanished. I don't overeat anymore because is just makes me feel like crap.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Is this a serious question?

If you're having several days a month of not logging/eating whatever you want and you stop losing weight, is it more likely that you're having a regular stall or that you're eating too much?

More likely? IDK that either would be more likely. I imagine it would be very idividualized. Not logging doesn't mean you are grossly overeating, just as logging doesn't mean you are within goal.

I just noticed I did include logging in my post. I meant not logging because you ate all the things and didn't want to bother, but I wasn't clear at all. Apologies.
  • pmtim
    pmtim Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    epido wrote: »
    The correct answer is 12.
    What do I win?

Actually, the correct answer is 42.

v9pzp4l2nlmz.jpg

42 is always the answer to "life the universe and everything" HGG
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

The upside of consistent logging is most people will realize their 'bad' days are not really all that bad.

I guess I mean 100% accurate logging. As in you made it, you know what's in it, you measured it, etc. Not logging "cake - generic" or guesstimating, quick adding.

I eat out a lot, and so I use generic entries a lot. I just take the highest calorie item and log that, to be on the safe side.

I don't track all my food on holidays, but I go a generic "eat all the things" entry for around 2500 calories. It's an over estimation for me, but I'd rather have something in there (personal preference).
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I guess I mean 100% accurate logging. As in you made it, you know what's in it, you measured it, etc. Not logging "cake - generic" or guesstimating, quick adding.

Most people will go out but they do guestimate - I've been doing it all year long. And yes, I go out quite often. But I also try to do an over-estimate guestimate or I look it up online and find the closest equivalent to what I ate/drank..you'll see that if you look at my diary. I've been maintaining my loss for about 4 months. If I guestimate that I went over, then I make up for that most of the time the next few days (but usually I just work it in - I make a plan by looking at menus, having smaller portions or choosing not to drink something). On Thanksgiving and Christmas though, I won't give a *kitten*. I won't worry about logging. For me, that works.

If you want to be 100% accurate, then you have to choose to not eat out ever. I choose something different.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

obviously that's ideal- but even on days when I didn't cook- I.e. thanksgiving this year- I still overestimated the hell out of what I ate- and picked high entries- and added a half serving to everything- and I still only ate like 2500 for the day (it was my only meal- and there was *kitten* all for desserts at my BF's family's house)... but even that to me is better than nothing at all.

I dunno- thanksgiving and christmas are really way more free for all's to me- my anniversary tends to be a nice event too- otherwise I mitigate all other celebrations- either with much more moderate eating- or logging some extra cardio.

But I try to keep even an inflated record- I mean- I eat out SO much- that I'd make my self crazy if I need 100% accurate weighed logging... I'm much more fung shway about it. LOL But I still need to do it.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Don't log a couple dinners out of 30 and say you're trying to lose weight and someone will point it out for sure. - BFDeal

I could see this if the person is pleading, "Why, why, why?" For a complete answer one needs a complete diary. If you can live with the plateau and an incomplete answer, go ahead. Skip days.
    Again, so who's lying and who's telling the truth. Do the "you need to log 100% of the time" people never go out to eat or go to parties? If they do how do they make progress and why, when I apply the same philosophy, do I stall? It makes no sense.

I log 100% of the time. I have no problems dipping down 7 ,8 or even 10 lbs below my goal. I eat what I want knowing the consequences. I know how my body works. 4 5000 calorie days over thanksgiving had me at goal weight. 4 5000 calorie days at Christmas Will have me up 5 lbs. Its a game now to see how much I can eat and maintain. Everybody has different goals this time of year. Mine is to enjoy all the food and Not skip any workouts. By January 26th I'll be back to my goal trying to wrap me head around a bulk. Haven't been able to get there mentally yet. Merry Christmas everybody.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I agree about finding a balance that works for you. So far, I've been logging everything and measuring most of the time. I'm on vacation right now so a lot of my foods are more guesses than anything. I just do my best. I personally don't do "cheat" days as I don't feel that I need them. If I want a dessert or something I can fit it into my day or even go a little over my calorie goals. I like tracking it all as I feel it keeps me accountable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Look, think about it this way. There are healthy and naturally thin people out there who clearly don't think twice about what they consume at a party or on a holiday. And they can do that because their natural eating and exercise habits over time have put them at a comfortable, easy to manage weight. A thin person isn't going to suddenly be overweight because they have three slices of pie and a bottle of wine at their family holiday party. They may feel crappy the next day, but then they will return to the healthy lifestyle that has supported them for years without even thinking about it. Any temporary gain will drop over a few days.

That is really the ultimate goal here. I don't know about anyone else, but I for one sure as hell don't want to be obsessing over calorie counting my whole life. I want to be able to eat intuitively and enjoy special treats and engage in fun healthy exercise without worrying about how I look or the number on the scale. MFP is a means to that end because tracking food can help you learn how much you really need and where you may be accidentally eating too much. Right now I'm not there yet, so MFP helps.

For example, using MFP has given me a good perspective on the actual calorie count of a big meal, so now at a Christmas party I can be more mindful of enjoying myself but not STUFFING myself and getting that uncomfortable, way-too-full feeling because MFP has taught me that means I consumed likely close to a 1000 calories and that is no good!

So the answer, as many folks have said, is really that both are true. On a day to day basis if someone isn't seeing success it is often because they aren't logging everything and are eating a lot more than they realize. But ultimately, if you are doing things right, you should never need to stress about or miss out on a happy occasion, because your overall good eating habits will balance out any temporary gain and your mental state will be a lot better when you can enjoy special times in your life!

All this, with an emphasis on the bolded...I haven't logged in over 20 months and I've easily maintained...I don't do all kinds of hand wringing every time I have a beer or a slice of cake or some pizza with my kids...because overwhelmingly my nutrition rocks and so does my fitness. 80-90% of what I consume and what I do is awesomeness...which makes the other 10-20% pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. And like I said...20+ months maintaining without any problems and without logging.

I would also add that I rarely see anyone suggesting to "go nuts"...most people just say to stop worrying so much about these special occasions...nobody got fat because of an occasion.

I will most definitely have more calories on Christmas than normal...but I can tell you definitely that I won't be going "nuts"...I don't like eating to the point of discomfort and having to sit on the couch and pass out or whatever. I like to enjoy my meal and not worry about every little calorie that I'm eating...it doesn't mean I'm grossly over consuming. My guess is that I'll probably take in around 3500 calories or so...which is just about 500- 600 calories over my maintenance number...I will be back to "normal" the next day...no biggie.
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    Don't log a couple dinners out of 30 and say you're trying to lose weight and someone will point it out for sure. - BFDeal

I could see this if the person is pleading, "Why, why, why?" For a complete answer one needs a complete diary. If you can live with the plateau and an incomplete answer, go ahead. Skip days.
    Again, so who's lying and who's telling the truth. Do the "you need to log 100% of the time" people never go out to eat or go to parties? If they do how do they make progress and why, when I apply the same philosophy, do I stall? It makes no sense.

I log 100% of the time. I have no problems dipping down 7 ,8 or even 10 lbs below my goal. I eat what I want knowing the consequences. I know how my body works. 4 5000 calorie days over thanksgiving had me at goal weight. 4 5000 calorie days at Christmas Will have me up 5 lbs. Its a game now to see how much I can eat and maintain. Everybody has different goals this time of year. Mine is to enjoy all the food and Not skip any workouts. By January 26th I'll be back to my goal trying to wrap me head around a bulk. Haven't been able to get there mentally yet. Merry Christmas everybody.
    100% of the time? So you really only had 900 calories last Sunday?

Edit: and no food last Wednesday? No wonder you're not worried about weight gain.

No need to fill it in when I know how much it is and I'm under my goal weight....but thanks for pointing out I'm only a 99.9 percenter.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Edit: and no food last Wednesday? No wonder you're not worried about weight gain.

No need to fill it in when I know how much it is and I'm under my goal weight....but thanks for pointing out I'm only a 99.9 percenter.

I went back a week. Two empty days. More like a 71.4%-er.

• marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I'm sorry, but if you say "It's just one day", you misuse the words in the sense that they are meaningless. When I utter the expression, it means just what I say.

^This.

If you say "it's just one day" every day, you're only fooling yourself.

For me, "it's just one day" means taking a break from making it around goal calories, not a break from logging. I even logged Thanksgiving and I plan to log Christmas when I'm out of town visiting family. But for me, I don't see tracking as a burden. It's more like a tool to know where I'm at. If I'm going over a lot and I'm plateauing/gaining, I know why and I can correct it going forward.
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I went back a week. Two empty days. More like a 71.4%-er.

Would you mind going back thru my 1085 days for me and getting the actual %? Lol jk. I'll take 71 % because......it works for me.