Funny fitness misconceptions by people just starting out

Options
"You still get sore? You should be used to it by now"

"(female) I don't do weight training, I don't want to have muscles like a man"

"If I drink/eat <insert product, drink or pill> I will lose weight and I won't have to count calories"

"If I workout, I don't need to eat healthy"

Do you know any?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My favorite part of these threads is when people start to disagree with quotes and then everything goes to hell in a handbasket.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Since we're coming up on the New Year we will see lots of these from new people

" I have found this cleanse/detox, that will kick my metabolism into overdrive and get rid of all the toxins in my system!"
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I tried not to put anything people would disagree with lol
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awwwww New year and the gym/fitness newbies. They will come with there strange plans and recipes for cheating at getting healthy, but if we tolerate them for just a few weeks they either leave or join us.

Fingers crossed they learn to join us quicker in 2015 than before
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I find it weird when people tell me that potatoes are fattening. They're, what, 90 calories for 120g?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The female who says "I don't want to get bulky" is a personal fave. Had a co-worker, 200+ lbs (as am I so no judgement here) say this to me. I wanted to say but honey, you already ARE bulky. If I'm going to be bulky anyway, muscles win every time.

Also, those who cut out an entire food group. "No carbs! No fat! No meat!" Yeah, how about a balanced diet, no deprivation!
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    "I HAVE to eat 1200 calories per day to lose weight even though it's way too far below my BMR/TDEE, I'm working out a buttload, and I have no other health issues."
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    When I tell people I count calories and limit carbs (to a degree) and lose about 1lb a week, but they tell me it doesn't work for them. So they are special snowflakes?

Oh, and when people tell me they are going on a specific food plan to "jumpstart" weight loss and detox. Seriously? Oh, that's how it works.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    "You mustn't eat white food"
    "Don't eat after 6pm"
    "Only eat a handful of food at a time"

All the above would make me eat my arm off
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The people who claim they can't eat anywhere near 1200 calories b/c they get too full. Do they not realize they were most likely eating way above that to gain weight in the first place?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    "If I workout, I don't need to eat healthy" - yep, this along with "...or watch my calories"

That's seriously what 90% of my friends believe, and then they don't understand why their lifestyle change fails to result in any weight loss at all. It's WONDERFUL that their workouts have other positive benefits. But when they are genuinely seeking a weight loss and don't get it, I see them either getting more frustrated over time or even giving up, which isn't good!

Also gotta love it when people claim things like the following...

"The only way I can lose weight is eating just grapefruit for breakfast and 1/2 sandwich for lunch" (quote from my mom)

"I can't lose weight if I eat breakfast" (quote from my boss)

"I got down to 220 but only eating no carbs and running 5 miles per day, it's not worth it because there's no way I can lose" (quote from my brother-in-law)

"You'll lose weight effortlessly no matter how much you eat, as long as you don't eat past 3 pm" (have heard this from multiple women)

• TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Any sentence that starts with the phrase, 'But (insert so-called expert here) said that you need to..." really makes me laugh. Especially if they mention Dr. Oz or Richard Simmons. I mean seriously?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    The people who claim they can't eat anywhere near 1200 calories b/c they get too full. Do they not realize they were most likely eating way above that to gain weight in the first place?

Oh, mine is people that say this. Because obviously eating too much is the only way to get fat.

You can't drink your calories. Obviously.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    "If I start threads about how stupid other people are, I will look really really smart and everyone will like me"
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Oh, mine is people that say this. Because obviously eating too much is the only way to get fat.

A 12 ounce Dr Pepper has, what? 150 calories I think?
    I was drinking 8-10 of those a day before I changed.
    A DAY.
    1,200 to 1,500 calories a day just in soda.
    I wasn't eating hardly anything and wondered why I couldn't shift weight. Even if I was only eating 1,000 calories a day, I was above maintenance. It's insane how dense we can be and how much we can delude ourselves before we start logging.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

A 12 ounce Dr Pepper has, what? 150 calories I think?
    I was drinking 8-10 of those a day before I changed.
    A DAY.
    1,200 to 1,500 calories a day just in soda.
    I wasn't eating hardly anything and wondered why I couldn't shift weight. Even if I was only eating 1,000 calories a day, I was above maintenance. It's insane how dense we can be and how much we can delude ourselves before we start logging.

Me too. Well, I was about 6 Dr. Peppers a day, and about 5 huge sugary coffees a day. So I never overate, but I was certainly over any reasonable calorie intake.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The "jump-starters" and the "detoxers" are the most mis-informed people
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "internet forums are a good place to learn about fitness"
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." I hate when people say that. Since when does 5lbs not equal 5lbs? Weight is not same as density.