Funny fitness misconceptions by people just starting out

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Muscle does not weight more than fat. 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat weight the same. Fat is more voluminous per gram when compared to muscle might be more accurate.

I don't think the point that muscle is denser than fat is in dispute. People seem to be agitated that other people don't know that.

it just gets old because it comes up a lot ..

someone tried saying in another thread that some inches are different than other inches..really?

I can't remember her name now, but there was a poster a while ago who swore up and down that a 10 pound dumbbell was heavier than a 10 pound ream of paper.

I think some people confuse density with weight O.O;

It was an argument about how a 10 pound dumbbell was too heavy for her to exercise with, even though she regularly lifted and moved 10 pound reams of paper at her office job.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Spend a week eating nothing but the healthiest foods (also low sodium, no trans or sat fats) and see how easy it is to reach your goal every day.
    If you aren't reaching a healthy calorie goal, then those foods aren't healthy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    healthiest foods

Define healthiest...

Breakfast; meusli, Greek yogurt, banana, apple, orange, fruit juice - c500 cals
    Lunch - Smoked oily fish, brown rice - c400 cals
    Snack - small pot of dried fruit - c200 cals
    Dinner - Wholewheat pasta, veg sauce with courgette, peppers, tomatoes, onion, mushroom followed by an apple, orange and pear -c700 cals

Not difficult, and all "healthy", for me. That's before accounting for training expenditure.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." I hate when people say that. Since when does 5lbs not equal 5lbs? Weight is not same as density.

Semantics. The point of "muscle weighs more than fat" isn't that "a pound isn't a pound." That would be ridiculous. The point is that it doesn't take as much muscle (by volume) to make a pound as it does fat.
    Trying to argue that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat is overcomplicating the issue. No one would pitch a fit if I said iron weighs more than jello.

Of course, a pound of water and a pound of whipped cream weigh the same but a gallon of water and a gallon of whipped cream do not. Likewise, a square inch of muscle is heavier than a square inch of fat.

And yes, weight and density are not the same. Nor are density and mass the same. Nor are mass and volume the same. However, density does determine the amount of mass in a given volume which determines the weight of the object/material. Thus weight is dependent on density.

Whenever I see someone argue this point, I think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, keep saying that muscle weighs more than fat." *sigh*

And I always think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, say that a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...because, duh. We all know that."

But seriously, muscle is more dense, thus it weighs more per square inch. Three square inches of muscle weighs more than three square inches of fat. That's exactly what everyone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat and everyone knows that that's what they mean.

This isn't necessary semantics, it's physics -- and cannot be assumed. You assume that everyone understands that someone who is quite muscular can actually weigh more than a larger person who is out of shape.

With respect to body size and composition, a lot of people only see that "smaller must equal lighter". By definition, this is why density and volume MUST be included (mass = density * volume).

The same applies to why "mass" does not equal "weight". Weight is a force vector refelcting gravity's effect on the mass of an object.

I think it's quite safe to be charitable and assume that when someone says that muscle weighs more than fat, that their point isn't "one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat, derpty-doo derpy derp"
    Because... what's to be gleaned from such a statement? Why would anyone say something like that, what would be the point?
    The charitable interpretation of "muscle weighs more than fat", on the other hand, is sensible and has a point and contributes something worthwhile to the conversation.

Anyone can sound like a drooling idiot if you interpret whatever they say in the most uncharitable manner possible.

I am not interpreting anything said in an uncharitable manner..

Yes, you are.

Nobody is confused by the statement "muscles weighs more than fat" - that it spawns so much useless pedantic nitpicking says far more about the nitpickers than about the person using the expression.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote:
    The "You're not losing, because you're not eating enough".
    On what planet does this make sense?
    +1
    Unless, as someone has already said, you're too underfueled to move much.
    We all know what eating right means
    Apparently not, because there are still lots of people promoting unhealthy eating, whether skewed macros or binge eating (look at the "OMAD" group here on MFP).
    Go with what the UDSA recommends. Tweak the percentages within the healthy ranges to suit your life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weight more than fat. 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat weight the same. Fat is more voluminous per gram when compared to muscle might be more accurate.

I don't think the point that muscle is denser than fat is in dispute. People seem to be agitated that other people don't know that.

someone tried saying in another thread that some inches are different than other inches..really?

I can't remember her name now, but there was a poster a while ago who swore up and down that a 10 pound dumbbell was heavier than a 10 pound ream of paper.

Two objects can have the same scale weight but, because of their physical dimensions, feel much heavier or lighter when being picked up and/or moved.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I think some people confuse density with weight O.O;
    And some are confusing it with volume.

Also, the people insisting on exact terminology should stop using the word "calorie" and should use the word "kilocalorie" or one of its abbreviations (kcal or Calorie). If you want to be so very precise, then get on board with precision.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Spend a week eating nothing but the healthiest foods (also low sodium, no trans or sat fats) and see how easy it is to reach your goal every day.

Define
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I just saw the interview... definitely not worth all of the hoopla
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Planks and sit ups will help your diastasis recti!
  • Kalikel
    edited December 2014
    Options

Define
    Are you asking what healthy eating is? http://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

Follow that, but also keep your sodium around 1200 and eliminate trans and sat fats...and instead of limiting white pasta and bread, eliminate them. Do it for a week, then come back and report how well you did and whether it was difficult to meet your goals for a week.

An even bigger challenge would be a year, but it cannot see anyone doing it without needing to do it.

I think a week would give you a small idea of how difficult it would be for a year, though.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Define
    Are you asking what healthy eating is? http://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

Follow that, but also keep your sodium around 1200 and eliminate trans and sat fats...and instead of limiting white pasta and bread, eliminate them. Do it for a week, then come back and report how well you did and whether it was difficult to meet your goals for a week.

An even bigger challenge would be a year, but it cannot see anyone doing it without needing to do it.

I think a week would give you a small idea of how difficult it would be for a year, though.

No, I was asking what you define as healthy eating since you said no saturated fats are allowed. There are plenty of nutrient dense foods that contain saturated fat.

I also maintain on 3600 calories, so I don't think I'll be doing that. I'm perfectly content hitting my micros for the day with 2000+ calories left to spare.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weight more than fat. 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat weight the same. Fat is more voluminous per gram when compared to muscle might be more accurate. I am going to go into the chemistry of it tonight cause its bugging me, i need to find out the molecular weight of each. That also depends on the content of the muscle *__* sorry molecular biology student here.

If you're not allowed to say muscle is heavier than fat, can you give me an example of when it would be ever okay to say one thing is heavier than another? Can I for example, say I'm heavier than my sister? I'm 145, she's 125. But if you measure 5lbs of me and 5lbs of her, than clearly I'm not heavier than she is.

• FisherGT
    FisherGT Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    Muscle does not weight more than fat. 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat weight the same. Fat is more voluminous per gram when compared to muscle might be more accurate. I am going to go into the chemistry of it tonight cause its bugging me, i need to find out the molecular weight of each. That also depends on the content of the muscle *__* sorry molecular biology student here.

If you're not allowed to say muscle is heavier than fat, can you give me an example of when it would be ever okay to say one thing is heavier than another? Can I for example, say I'm heavier than my sister? I'm 145, she's 125. But if you measure 5lbs of me and 5lbs of her, than clearly I'm not heavier than she is.

You should be aware your talking to someone who is pretty nuts when it comes to language. When speaking about my siblings i usually say i have less mass than my little brother. I call my father "father unit person" he calls me "daughter unit person". My speech patterns are bizarre and i have a lot of OCD about words. You are technically barking up the wrong tree asking me because you wont get an good answer. I admit though i am wrong, people can speak how they please.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Define

No, I was asking what you define as healthy eating since you said no saturated fats are allowed. There are plenty of nutrient dense foods that contain saturated fat.

I also maintain on 3600 calories, so I don't think I'll be doing that. I'm perfectly content hitting my micros for the day with 2000+ calories left to spare.

Well, if you ever want to experience having difficulty meeting a calorie goal, follow that diet.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Define

Well, if you ever want to experience having difficulty meeting a calorie goal, follow that diet.

I like steak and eggs too much
  • tigersword
    Options

Define

If you can't reach a reasonable calorie goal on it, then it isn't a healthy diet.

Also, why such low sodium? You can eat far more sodium than that and still be healthy.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That you have to cut everything you love out of your life to lose.

I lost nearly 40lbs and I'm 10lbs away from goal and haven't stopped enjoying the finer things in life.

You don't have to cut everything out to lose weight successfully.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Define

what does that even mean???
  • Kalikel
    Options

Define

If you can't reach a reasonable calorie goal on it, then it isn't a healthy diet.

Also, why such low sodium? You can eat far more sodium than that and still be healthy.

You can reach your calorie goals. It's just hard. And boring. :)

Why I was on it is a long, complicated, boring story that nobody wants to hear (I promise) and I don't want to type. Plus, someone would be bound to make fun and although I take that stuff in stride, knowing where or comes from, I am like a lot of people who take their health issues to heart. So, I wouldn't put it out there for people to use as a way to try to hurt me because it might actually work, lol.