edited December 2014
    Options
    "weight is not same as density"

flogging_dead_horse_what1.jpg

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    "If I start threads about how stupid other people are, I will look really really smart and everyone will like me"

biavi2q8t7os.jpg

I am but a shadowy reflection of you...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    "If I start threads about how stupid other people are, I will look really really smart and everyone will like me"

biavi2q8t7os.jpg

I am but a shadowy reflection of you...

Haha that's why I get all the flags.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My sweet boyfriend dosen't believe in calories and keeps telling me, but its all protein, its ok. Or, (as with pork rinds) It's just fat and protein, its good for you. :D
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." I hate when people say that. Since when does 5lbs not equal 5lbs? Weight is not same as density.

Semantics. The point of "muscle weighs more than fat" isn't that "a pound isn't a pound." That would be ridiculous. The point is that it doesn't take as much muscle (by volume) to make a pound as it does fat.
    Trying to argue that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat is overcomplicating the issue. No one would pitch a fit if I said iron weighs more than jello.

Of course, a pound of water and a pound of whipped cream weigh the same but a gallon of water and a gallon of whipped cream do not. Likewise, a square inch of muscle is heavier than a square inch of fat.

And yes, weight and density are not the same. Nor are density and mass the same. Nor are mass and volume the same. However, density does determine the amount of mass in a given volume which determines the weight of the object/material. Thus weight is dependent on density.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The people who claim they can't eat anywhere near 1200 calories b/c they get too full. Do they not realize they were most likely eating way above that to gain weight in the first place?

This is definitely one of my favorites.

• Carlos_421
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I know a guy who decided he needed to lose about 30 pounds. He's the type guy who's convinced he knows all about fitness and health and that he's actually in great shape despite being overweight and sedentary because 25 years ago he worked out all the time.

He tells me he's going to lose the weight by cutting back on his night eating. The only thing he's going to eat after 8pm is popcorn and milk.

Ok, if that works for you and gets your overall calories into a deficit then more power to you. But it's not like you're fat because you weren't awake to digest the cookies you ate. If you eat 4,000 calories up until 8pm and don't do some serious calorie burning exercise you are not going to lose any weight. Sorry.

Anyway, we're out one night and stop at a McDonald's which is connected to a gas station. Since it's about 10pm he can't eat the McD's.
    So as I'm sitting down with my food he comes in from the gas station with a half gallon of chocolate milk. I ask him what's up with the milk and he reminds me that he doesn't eat at night anymore because the night snacks were making him fat so it's only popcorn and milk at night now.

I kept my peace and ate my 520 calorie quarter pounder while he drank all 1,600 calories of his half gallon of chocolate milk.
  • AshZie
    AshZie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "If I work out, I don't need to eat healthy"

THIS!!! I had a coworker who decided to join a gym earlier this year (approx. 5'7" 220lb female). Her idea of a workout was walking on a treadmill at a "window shopping" pace for maybe 30-40mins 2-3x per week. And no weight training because she "didn't want to get all muscular like a guy" and don't even get me started on her diet. Let's just say donuts, cheetos and energy drinks were her staples. Needless to say, she didn't get results and quit shortly after. I would have loved to offer her advice but she would get very defensive.

Also the people who believe in miracle pills. Same coworker mentioned above experimented with many diet pills including Hydroxycut which she frequently mixed with caffeine pills and energy drinks. Again, no improvement in what she ate or physical activity.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Everything I know about fitness its a misconception
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    "The only way I can lose weight is eating just grapefruit for breakfast and 1/2 sandwich for lunch" (quote from my mom)

"I can't lose weight if I eat breakfast" (quote from my boss)

"You'll lose weight effortlessly no matter how much you eat, as long as you don't eat past 3 pm" (have heard this from multiple women)

Jebus, yup, my mom too (except for her it's coffee instead of grapefruit), on all these, actually. I don't know if there's any hope for a conversion after 50 + years of bad advice (cabbage soup diet, hot water with lemon in the morning diet, etc etc etc).

Hands up, all you with moms like this.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." I hate when people say that. Since when does 5lbs not equal 5lbs? Weight is not same as density.

Semantics. The point of "muscle weighs more than fat" isn't that "a pound isn't a pound." That would be ridiculous. The point is that it doesn't take as much muscle (by volume) to make a pound as it does fat.
    Trying to argue that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat is overcomplicating the issue. No one would pitch a fit if I said iron weighs more than jello.

Of course, a pound of water and a pound of whipped cream weigh the same but a gallon of water and a gallon of whipped cream do not. Likewise, a square inch of muscle is heavier than a square inch of fat.

And yes, weight and density are not the same. Nor are density and mass the same. Nor are mass and volume the same. However, density does determine the amount of mass in a given volume which determines the weight of the object/material. Thus weight is dependent on density.

Whenever I see someone argue this point, I think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, keep saying that muscle weighs more than fat." *sigh*
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to look like I sound dumb to some. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. Sand does weigh more than sawdust. Iron does weigh more than tin. Fiberglass boats weigh more than wood. No one adds the volume/size to the sentence because the meaning is clear. "But the ark weighs more than a dinghy so you're wrong!" Silly.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to look like I sound dumb to some. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. Sand does weigh more than sawdust. Iron does weigh more than tin. Fiberglass boats weigh more than wood. No one adds the volume/size to the sentence because the meaning is clear. "But the ark weighs more than a dinghy so you're wrong!" Silly.

Ok, you keep thinking that.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    'don't eat after 5pm' is the most annoying one.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agreed. The box with the books weighs more than the box with the pillows. Guess which one I'm carrying as we load the truck, lol.

It's cute when kids first lean the difference and correct people with their shiny new knowledge. You can say, "Oh! Look at you, Mr. Smarty Guy!!" and watch them beam with pride.

Adults, though, should've learned this stuff a long time ago and should've noticed somewhere along the way that it's different than the way people normally speak.

If there is some honest question about what someone means, of course you should clarify. But if you know roddam well what they mean, don't pester them.

It's like those people who say, "Chlorine is a green gas, not what you put n the pool!" and "It isn't really a shock, you know..." Ugh! Yeah, I know, I took Chemistry, too. But have you noticed that people call it "chlorine"? That didn't escape your attention, right? Grr. And No, we aren't putting an electric current in, but you do know that people call that powder "shock," right? You've seen that sign in the grocery store? Thanks. Have a nice day.

Up past midnight and say you're going to do something tomorrow. "It is tomorrow!" Yeah, okay, that's true. But you have noticed that people who aren't working nights generally refer to tomorrow as "after I go to bed when it's dark, when is wake up and it's light." They don't generally say they're doing something later today when they're going to sleep for eight hours first, right? Thanks.

Spare me ridiculous arguments over things that everyone knows but doesn't use.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Whenever I see someone argue this point, I think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, keep saying that muscle weighs more than fat." *sigh*

And I always think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, say that a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...because, duh. We all know that."

But seriously, muscle is more dense, thus it weighs more per square inch. Three square inches of muscle weighs more than three square inches of fat. That's exactly what everyone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat and everyone knows that that's what they mean.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Do you know any?

I did <insert video name or curves circuit> and got bulky!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm turning my fat into muscle.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    lborsato1 wrote: »
    The "jump-starters" and the "detoxers" are the most mis-informed people

Just had about 15 students buy the Amway jumpstart weight loss kit (complete with DNA test to tell you how to diet) from the lady who owns the studio where I teach. $400 each

I feel like crying every time one of them asks how much weight I've lost & tells me they've just bought this kit. :'(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The "You're not losing, because you're not eating enough". On what planet does this make sense?