Another teen shot in Missouri

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Why is it that there is more white people shot by police yet not once is it mentioned in the news? Is it ok to shoot white folk but not black? Black people more special now are they? Their lives worth more than white people?

numbers wise, yes, more white people have been shot in the united states than those of african american background. but when you get down to the percentages of it (71% of people in the US are white, i forget how many are black, maybe 13%?) then the statistic isn't really showing you the full picture.
    It's great for news ratings to talk about these things. If this were purely about percentages then we'd all be talking about the disparity of Native Americans being killed. This is a huge political talking point. There just aren't that many votes to be had from the Native American angle so it's a non-issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/24/opinion/moya-smith-native-americans/

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    The group most likely to be killed by police is actually Native American "followed by African Americans, Latinos, Whites, and Asian Americans." It would seem that minorities are more likely to be killed and pointing to the Native American issue it would seem that the more economically disadvantaged you were the more likely you were to be involved in a police altercation. That's pretty much common sense. Poor people commit more crimes. Duh!

Yup, and that is EXACTLY why the phrase 'black on black crime' is racist. It shifts the cause of crime from socioeconomic status to race.

So is it racist when Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson say "black on black crime"?

I think so - at least, I think it's stupidly allowing a racist idea to be propagated because they also aren't thinking it all the way through.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Competitive light bulb replacement?

2WBUYKSl.jpg?1

Edit: LMAO. Wrong discussion. Ha ha.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    The group most likely to be killed by police is actually Native American "followed by African Americans, Latinos, Whites, and Asian Americans." It would seem that minorities are more likely to be killed and pointing to the Native American issue it would seem that the more economically disadvantaged you were the more likely you were to be involved in a police altercation. That's pretty much common sense. Poor people commit more crimes. Duh!

Yup, and that is EXACTLY why the phrase 'black on black crime' is racist. It shifts the cause of crime from socioeconomic status to race.

So is it racist when Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson say "black on black crime"?

I think so - at least, I think it's stupidly allowing a racist idea to be propagated because they also aren't thinking it all the way through.

So what you are saying is that they are both racist towards black people while at the same time fighting for equal rights?

And it's not I think so. It's either yes or no. Apollo can definitely be a racist because he said that but then Sharpton and Jackson are "I guess so". Why, because they are black? So are we talking double standard?

At the same time you somehow know what they are fighting for and what they mean even though they are them and you are you?

captain-jack-sparrow-jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean-favim_com-234351.gif

and i never said the phrase in question. i linked a video of the milwaukee police chief, and he said that phrase, and whats-her-face took it out of context and basically made me out to be the most horrible human being ever.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    White Police Chief Loses It and Tells the Blunt TRUTH About Black Crime [VIDEO]

http://conservativetribune.com/police-black-crime/
    I agree with what that chief said. Now, the way the author couches it, and I presume what you believe since you read sites like that, is that there is some kind of relevance to the phrase 'black on black crime". I just want you to know that I know that when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people. So congrats on outing yourself as a horrible human being. People need to call that phrase out because it IS straight up racist, and is also deliberately obfuscatory BS.

You should have finished out your user name. What an amazing amount of assumptions you can make about a person for simply linking an article. Luckily your comment doesn't leave any room for assumptions about you.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I vote every cop in the us gets from now until new years off, what good are they anyway amirite?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So help me god, if this thread is still standing when I get back to a computer I will burn it the *kitten* down along with every ignorant mother *kitten* posting dumb *kitten* comments in it. Every *kitten* one of you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    So help me god, if this thread is still standing when I get back to a computer I will burn it the *kitten* down along with every ignorant mother *kitten* posting dumb *kitten* comments in it. Every *kitten* one of you.

Looks like you scared everyone away.

Well done.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ahh... I miss the good old days - you know, when people were held accountable. 25-30 years ago, every single adult in the U.S. would tell you the same thing - if an officer of the law orders you to stop/freeze/put your hands where he can see them/get on the ground/ etc., you do what the officer says - period. Think about it honestly for one minute - what would you think if you overheard a parent telling their teenager "If a cop orders you to stop or freeze, punch him, charge at him or make a move like you're reaching for a gun - OK?"

As a society we have embraced rage, selfishness and outright disobedience as acceptable by people of all backgrounds. Teachers can't teach anymore, the military can't fight anymore and cops can't police our streets anymore. The result? Our children are being dumbed down little by little, we sit by and do nothing while the world is set on fire by ruthless dictators and terrorists, and in the streets EVERYONE is afraid: citizens are afraid of cops, cops are afraid of citizens and anyone who has the guts to stand up to do the dirty work that finds themselves in the unfortunate position of having to make a split second life-or-death decision already has one foot in the grave - whether they live or not.

And in the end, no one is treated fairly and the truth gets pushed aside for the headlines.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    The 2 teens killed in Missouri were up to no good and thats what happens when you live that life style. However that huge guy that got killed in new york didnt deserve it. Im about 190lbs and I wouldnt be so easy to take down either. You cant expect an obese man in his 50s to get down on the ground like hes some spring chicken . I think people should protest peace between cops and people. Not all cops are bad and not all civilians are criminals or cop killers .
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote:
    Or perhaps this was the teen who was shot in Dayton because he wanted someone's Air Jordans?
    That "kid" pointed a gun at his intended victim.
    Fortunately, that man was lawfully armed and protected his life.
    The other 2 criminals (who survived) are in custody, & the victim won't be charged with anything.
    when a civilian shoots an innocent person, they will be arrested, tried and most likely convicted
    Unless that civilian is a police officer, then it's very unlikely.
    And actually, if the intended victim who shoots the attacker is acting in self-defense, s/he shouldn't have to fear anything. For states which have good self-defense laws, the investigation usually doesn't go beyond the police making sure it actually was self-defense. (That being said, look at the Zimmerman case...) :confused:
  • MKEgal
    Options
    police are given a very bad rap for the incredibly dangerous jobs they hold
    According to the BLS, in 2012 the death rate for law enforcement was 15 (of 100,000).
    (And somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those were due to the officer crashing his/her vehicle.)

The death rate for landscape supervisors was 14.7.
    Taxi drivers 16.2.
    Construction supervisors 16.6.
    Construction workers 17.8.
    Farmers / ranchers 22.8.
    Electrical linemen 23.9.
    Truckers 25.6.
    Garbage men 32.3.
    Roofers 42.2.
    Pilots 54.3.
    Loggers 129.9.
    Fishermen 120.8.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people
    Bovine feces.
    Looking at the numbers, crime statistics, most young black men are killed by other young black men.
    There's nothing genetic about that.
    There are also plenty of young black men who don't commit crimes, manage to graduate high school or college, hold down jobs, etc.
    There's nothing genetic about that, either.
    it's not fair to expect a cop to try and discern whether a 12 year old child has a real or toy gun in his waistband
    That was sarcasm? I actually agree with you.
    The gun had been lying on the table when the cops arrived.
    The kid stuck it in his pants (handling a gun around cops is generally a Bad Idea).
    When told to keep his hands away from the gun, he reached for it (also a Bad Idea).
    If the officer waited to see if there were an orange tip on it, it would be too late.
    From the pictures shown on the news, the gun looked plenty real.
    And there are kids younger than that who commit crimes using guns.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Deer-popcorn.gif
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Some of you guys really need to look up what "ad hominem fallacy" means.
    MKEgal wrote: »
    police are given a very bad rap for the incredibly dangerous jobs they hold
    According to the BLS, in 2012 the death rate for law enforcement was 15 (of 100,000).
    (And somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those were due to the officer crashing his/her vehicle.)

The death rate for landscape supervisors was 14.7.
    Taxi drivers 16.2.
    Construction supervisors 16.6.
    Construction workers 17.8.
    Farmers / ranchers 22.8.
    Electrical linemen 23.9.
    Truckers 25.6.
    Garbage men 32.3.
    Roofers 42.2.
    Pilots 54.3.
    Loggers 129.9.
    Fishermen 120.8.
    So based of a death rate statistic you're going to say being a cop isn't dangerous? Your posts never seem to amaze me.
    Well, the data does suggest it's less dangerous than any of those...
    It's not a binary thing.

ETA : also, 50$ says this thread isn't here in the morning.