I want to start going to the gym but...

Options
124»

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i agree with what a lot of the posters above me said and ironically, lost 70 pounds on my own, before i set foot in a gym. some gyms offer a free training session when you sign up. if yours does, take advantage of that and tell the trainer you want a general overview of the equipment that will improve your general health. before you meet with him, give yourself a tour of the equipment and figure out which pieces you wouldn't know how to use, then ask the trainer to show you those. maybe give yourself the tour a half hour before gym closes or right when it opens, so there are less people there if that makes you uncomfortable.

which leads to the other point... one time i was benching a weight i have done plenty of times before, but did it later in my routine when i was more fatigued. i had the bar stuck on my chest. couldn't get it off and was starting to get nervous. had my ear buds in and was asking for help. no one was helping me. i wasn't really in any danger as the bar was just resting on my chest, not crushing me, but what seemed like a long time went by and no one was helping me. someone finally walked by and gave me a hand and helped get the bar off my chest. i sat up and was shocked that no one offered to help for so long. then it hit me... no one was paying attention to me. no one gave a crap about what i was doing, no one was watching me, if they were, they would've helped me.

not knowing what to do when i got to the gym was big for me too. i checked out bodybuilding.com and found a routine to follow. then i watched the videos a few times before actually going to the gym so that when i was there, i knew what to do. and there were times when i was confused and watched the videos right there on the equipment so i could make sure i was doing it right. no one cares as long as you don't hog the machine too long. and if you need more time, leave the machine, go off to the side and watch the video until you are comfortable trying the exercise.

i lost a lot of weight at home, and exercised with dumbells but eventually felt they would only take me so far. plus dumbells are expensive and my gym membership is pretty affordable, so instead of buying more dumbells as i got stronger, i put that money towards my membership and i was about 1/4 of the way there.

bottom line, just do it. go to the gym. you won't regret it.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel the same way. I go often to hot yoga and I am always nervous starting the session. Once you get your groove on, you realize that no one is there to look at you or judge you. We all started somewhere so appreciate that everyone is at a different place in the journey. Just like you aren't going to the gym to judge others, they aren't there to judge you.
  • morningprincess
    morningprincess Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i hear a lot of people say that, but i've never been to a gym where people stare at me. so unless you are planning on doing your exercises nude, i think you'll be good :) also, most gyms will give you a free lesson/training on all the machines when you first get there and they are always very nice about it so i say go ahead and also congrats on the awesome weight loss!!! :D
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sell all your chairs and sofas. Replace with exercise machines from Craigslist and Goodwill.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with having some sort of plan, it can really help to get over that overwhelmed feeling. If the gym doesn't offer some sort of free guidance (you never know), don't be afraid to ask for it. I'm sure they'd rather give you help than have you hurt yourself or break something.

And of course, as some have mentioned, you can get a great workout at home if you'd rather. In fact, it might help your confidence to start that way. Once your fitness improves and you're ready to step it up a notch, you can join the gym with more knowledge and experience under your belt.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions. I was reluctant to go to the gym at first many years ago, but signed up for a special with a trainer and got a special that is $99 a year for life. I also love weight lifting and use the squat machines, and I have no space to set up a gym in my home (it would have to be set up for me to use).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a nervous introvert who's always worried about what other people think and I never exercised before. Walking through the door of the gym was the hardest part. Once you're there, you realize that everyone is doing their own thing and it gets really easy. I asked for help in learning how to use some of the equipment and got a personal trainer for resistance training. No one looks at me and I'm off in my own little world with my phone and my headphones. I'm still not comfortable enough to join a class, but maybe I'll get there one day.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect time to go to the gym! It's the beginning of the New Year's Resolution crowd. You will not be the only new one in the gym. Most of the staff will be more attentive to new patron needs and questions. Take a class that combines weights and cardio. You can take both into the weightroom. And if you have questions most instructors are absolutely thrilled to work with you after class. Find the slower times and see if you can fit those times into your schedule. This journey is about you and you deserve your time in the gym. Personally, I love having new gym rats. It means my community is getting healthier!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    I'm an introvert and I love the gym. I think the bigger the place is, the less likely you are to have to engage in conversation. Or, if you go to a very small one like I do, once everyone knows your face, and knows that you aren't chatty, they leave you alone. Headphones help enormously - most people respect these. :-)
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    I'm an introvert and I love the gym. I think the bigger the place is, the less likely you are to have to engage in conversation. Or, if you go to a very small one like I do, once everyone knows your face, and knows that you aren't chatty, they leave you alone. Headphones help enormously - most people respect these. :-)

Respect The Headphones

It's true :smile:

Some here don't respect the headphones

I have a deep respect for headphones, especially when doing cardio.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    maybe start with taking a drop in class once per week to get used to going. as you get more comfortable going for classes, then try some cardio equipment to get used to being on equipment - bring some headphones and just jam to some music, it helps tune everything else out. Once you get comfortable with that, start talking with the fitness staff about equipment and learn how to use it properly rather than just assuming (a lot of times you will do it wrong which can hurt you).

when I started going to the gym about ten years ago, I started by taking a yoga class b/c I had never done it before. I would then do cardio in the women's only section. then I stopped going for a while (okay, maybe 7 years) and only started doing co-ed about three years ago in my work gym. Now it doesn't bother me. others are there to do their thing and you are there to do yours.

8931969.png