"Dangerous" foods

Options
12346»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Homemade baked goods. I try not to bake much these days, even though I'm the only one in my family with a weight problem.

This is mine. I struggle with my mind saying "it will go bad, you must eat it." As a result I've barely been baking since I started this (although I didn't do too badly with my holiday leftovers, so perhaps am learning). That's why ice cream is so great--I can eat half a cup a night and don't have to worry that the rest will go bad.

Popcorn is another where I can't yet seem to stick to a planned serving, probably because you can't really get out some and put it away. I'm working on it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    Tortilla chips! If I start eating them when I am hungry and bored, I will eat far too many of them. Also, freshly baked bread. We limit the amount of chips we bring into the house, and usually don't have really fresh bread around, so normally these are not a problem for me.

damnit- this- for real.

chips and salsa are an issue for me as well.
    And chips and queso.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good with homemade sweets once they're baked, but dang it takes a lot of self control to keep myself from digging into the dough / batter.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, of almost any make/denomination. Whatever amount is there is the serving size.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Used to be chips - especially dill pickle but...not so much anymore, depending on the week though especially closer to my time of the month either gummy candy or chocolate - especially dark
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I cannot be left alone with Chex Mix. :p
  • humblestumble
    humblestumble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say mine has typically been anything made with wheat. It became an obsession at one point to have anything with wheat - the cereal you speak of, french bread, croissants, you name it...

Now, I am reading a book called "The Wheat Belly" and it is amazing. It's making me really want to cut it out completely again. I remember I went 6 months without it at one point and felt so clear in my mind, clean in my body, and I lost weight very fast. It would have stayed off if I didn't go back to it after a tumultuous time in my life.
  • humblestumble
    humblestumble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also peanut butter filled crackesr ;)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    I'm going to preface this by saying I am NOT intending to demonize any foods here. I just know that some foods support my goals better than others.

I cannot keep cold cereal in the house -- even the shredded wheats of the world. Not only could I eat it in double portions morning, noon and night, but if I have it for breakfast, I get hungrier than I would ordinarily. Maybe it's not enough protein... but if I eat oatmeal or 8-grain cereal, it holds me through the morning. Just ate the last bowl I had on hand last night and am not buying more (I'm temperamentally incapable of just throwing out half a box). It's easy enough to banish from my house, since my husband doesn't eat it.

So if anyone wants to share: What are your "dangerous" foods? The foods that undermine your goals? The ones that set off a cycle of eating too much? The ones that aren't worth it to keep in the house? I don't believe any food is necessarily "bad" but which ones really don't work for you?

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Cheese of most any kind
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    Any kind of cookies, this year I consumed delicious homemade xmas cookies, these are a prized 100 yr old sugar cookie recipe made with irish butter, king aurther flour and a tiny bit of orange essence. they are cut out and frosted with homemade buttercream frosting. Light, crispy yet soft, fragrant and delicious! I made myself sick on them. However, I am a cookie slut, I will eat any kind. I get excired about graham crackers, fig newtons, it does not matter. I obsess about sweet crackers/cookies. I also have problems with natural peanut butter and dried mango. I CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS.
    The weird thing is savory items such as chips, doritos, nuts, steaks, potatoes I can take or leave. I usually throw half eaten bags of chips away.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    added- I can easily eat a pan of brownies to my own self. Not a problem. ;)

lol...^^This is me as well. Also, pizza. If we are going to eat pizza from someplace like Pizza Hut or Valentinos, we go there and eat and don't take any home. If it's at home I'll eat it all, especially the next day. I love cold pizza the next day. :)

• poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    Trail mix is my kryptonite. Especially the ones with yogurt covered cranberries or dark chocolate chips.

yep trail mix too..and the serving size 1/4 cup..lmfao MY serving size? The whole damn bag over a day.

• xl_audrey
    xl_audrey Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sarieth05 wrote: »
    Oreos and Sour Cream and Onion chips. Yum! Just don't buy them anymore, but sometimes I daydream about them.

This. OMG, this time x1000.

I had a small bag of Oreo 100 calories...yeah right, I had to have 2, they were just too good!! But I really think that my favorite food is potato. I eat it (way too much) in any way shape or form: fried, baked, French fries, chips, you name it, that stuff is addicting! And so, out of the house for now.
  • thejoshperson
    Options
    natural nut butters, protein bars, fresh cheeses, trail mix, etc. I also have a problem eating fruits and vegetables in large amounts, but don't feel guilty about it.
  • thejoshperson
    Options
    krympmeg22 wrote: »
    ice cream and peanut butter :(

amen...
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Powdered sugar. No, I don't eat it as is but when you mix it 50/50 with peanut butter you get the insides of a peanut butter cup.

I really hope that I forget this, because I have a feeling I am going to be in trouble if I don't!

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nougat for me. I had a voucher to spend at work. They sell 500g tubs of nougat cut into little cubes. I thought it would be perfect for when I fancied something sweet I could just have a cube. I bought them at lunch and by the time I got home I'd eaten a tub and a half.

I have similar stories with bars of chocolate. Its not something I'm proud of. I buy with the firm intention of rationing it out over time, but I just lose all control and can't stop till its all eaten.

I suspect I may have a slight addiction to sugar so am going to see if I can give it up for January. Wish me luck!