How useful are the massage chairs at Planet Fitness?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    So how often do they have the free pizza?

Monthly.

So now I'm kind of curious. The one I went to was down the road from a Papa John's and that's the kind of pizza they got. I'm wondering if that's consistent across the chain or if other PFs use different pizza suppliers.

Anyone have info?

Here at the PF in NYC (Queens), my daughter goes there and she said they get pizza from the local pizzeria down the block. Mmmm pizza.
  • shellykarren83
    shellykarren83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Please note: This is NOT an anti-PF rant. I do have my issues with the Planet Fitness business model, but this is one situation in which I'd genuinely like to hear what others have to say.

For the sake of the uninformed, Planet Fitness offers a "relaxation zone" in its facilities. These relaxation zones have tanning beds, red light therapy machines (which are purportedly good for the skin), and massage chairs or beds. Personally, I question whether having a relaxation zone is really suitable for a gym, but I won't say that it's completely without merit.

The tanning beds are clearly inappropriate, given that they're unhealthy and do nothing to promote physical fitness. These amenities, I daresay, only help fuel the notion that PF caters to people who want a relaxing "workout" and aren't really interested in getting fit.

The red light therapy machines MIGHT be helpful for various skin conditions. I don't yet know what the medical community has to say about them. Once again though, they seem incongruous in a gym, and I think they'd be better suited for a vacation spa.

What about the massage chairs, though? Some would probably argue that they're good for treating tight muscles after a heavy workout. In my experience though, massage chairs generally don't do much for post-workout tension, though. Nor do relaxation massages in general, as these are best treated using actual deep tissue massage or sports massages. (Additionally, PF says that they don't really cater to the heavy lifting crowd, as they prefer to "create an environment where you can relax, go at your own pace," etc.

I realize that I might not be seeing the entire story though, so I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Please note: This is NOT an anti-PF rant. I do have my issues with the Planet Fitness business model, but this is one situation in which I'd genuinely like to hear what others have to say.

For the sake of the uninformed, Planet Fitness offers a "relaxation zone" in its facilities. These relaxation zones have tanning beds, red light therapy machines (which are purportedly good for the skin), and massage chairs or beds. Personally, I question whether having a relaxation zone is really suitable for a gym, but I won't say that it's completely without merit.

The tanning beds are clearly inappropriate, given that they're unhealthy and do nothing to promote physical fitness. These amenities, I daresay, only help fuel the notion that PF caters to people who want a relaxing "workout" and aren't really interested in getting fit.

The red light therapy machines MIGHT be helpful for various skin conditions. I don't yet know what the medical community has to say about them. Once again though, they seem incongruous in a gym, and I think they'd be better suited for a vacation spa.

What about the massage chairs, though? Some would probably argue that they're good for treating tight muscles after a heavy workout. In my experience though, massage chairs generally don't do much for post-workout tension, though. Nor do relaxation massages in general, as these are best treated using actual deep tissue massage or sports massages. (Additionally, PF says that they don't really cater to the heavy lifting crowd, as they prefer to "create an environment where you can relax, go at your own pace," etc.

I realize that I might not be seeing the entire story though, so I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

• shellykarren83
    shellykarren83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So here’s my personal experience with PF. Where I live it’s not called the “relaxation zone” it’s the Black card membership access. A normal membership ($10/mo)does not include the Total body enhancement, tanning, hydro beds or deep tissue chairs. Those are included in the larger package ($20/mo). I’m a working, busy mother and if those things weren’t all together in one facility I probably wouldn’t pay to have them separately at a spa. Also with the black card membership I’m able to bring 1 guest with me to any facility as many times I want. Not a health benefit, just what is also included in the black card membership. these amenities aren’t included with a standard membership. So you don’t have to pay for something you don’t feel isn’t beneficial to you. To me it’s very convenient.
    Regarding actual health benefits? I have several sports injuries and had a crazy back surgery. When I do cardio or heavy lifting (which so far no one has mentioned to me is not allowed) I get stiff and have poor circulation and nerve problems and I feel like the deep tissue chairs help. And I don’t have to remind a new person every time not to go in a certain area of my back. I just change the setting in the chair. And I think I’ve been sleeping better after using the deep tissue chair. According to my smart watch it’s extend two full hours. So who knows. I’m not a fan of the hydro beds but as far as I’m aware they do have heat adjustments. So heated and cooled water is helpful for muscles, right? When I read about the benefit of the Total body Enhancement machines (red light therapy) there was quite a bit of interesting information. Helps circulate blood, helps skin conditions such as scars/stretch marks and also has a series of vibrations. I have heard a few people at my gym say it helps their mental wellness and clarity afterwards. I’ve yet to try it.
    As far as the free food. I’m an avid gym goer (5times a week for one hour blocks) I’ve never seen pizza or bagels. I could be wrong but I believe that’s only once a month type thing. But that had zero weigh in on my decision on getting a membership at PF.
    The tanning has emotional benefits for me personally. It helps my confidence. Nothing more. Also the gyms i have used in the past offered outdoor pools and I live in Arizona. My PF membership is half of the amount I paid at other gyms, so if I’m going without a pool, at least I can still rock a tan.
    As for the environment. As I said before, I have sports injuries and it’s really hard to go to a gym and not feel I have to keep up (competitive side of me). At my PF especially, there’s quite a bit of seniors, physically impaired, new to gym equipment types. So having a beginner level, low key, very quiet environment.... makes it less intimidating or competitive. No one gives me unsolicited advice I’m not harassed by personal trainers, there’s just no pressure and that lowers a lot of the stress and anxiety of going to the gym.

Hope that wasn’t too long.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So you say you're here to see the opinions of others, yet you contradict and tell everyone they're wrong when they give their opinion. Are haircuts a fitness benefit? No but you see plenty of gyms that offer those. Are smoothie bars that sell smoothies packed with loads of added sugar? No. Are hot tubs? No. Are the TV screens attached to the cardio machines? No. TONS of other gyms offer these and I don't see you questioning anything.
  • jdabgotra
    jdabgotra Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    This is an old thread, but the people knocking massage here are pretty ignorant, perhaps even of their own mortality. Once you get a job and work at a desk 9-5, you will get back pain, and if you train hard, you will get tight muscles. The massage chairs are an alternative to expensive massage services and chiropractors.

Massage is marketed towards athletes, as well as lacrosse balls, foam rollers, etc, so it's pretty ignorant even for a meathead in their 20s. You find foam rollers in the gym for the same reason.

But there are lot of dudes with the "No days off bro!" attitude -- You'll learn after your first hernia. Then they'll be like "when I was your age... I didn't know!" It's the kind of egoism you find in children and most people never get over it. "I don't see how it would work for me so I'll bash it as nonsense!" It's perceptual egoism, like how kids don't understand object permanance or how to accurately compare the volume of liquids in different cups. Your sense of your own body at any given time is subjective and it will change. There are billions of bodies of different ages and circumstances in the world, and surprise, they aren't all bodies like yours.