Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    any plan involving "intense" is never going to be successful as any plan involving moderate long term changes.

Vast majority of people here (and everywhere else) trying the "long term change" approach also fail.

and they come back and what do they say
    "I lose XXX pounds using weight watchers- or MFP- and kept it off for bla months/years until XXXX event"

unlike people who detox and yo=yo for years the same 5-10 pounds.

No, most of the come back a few months later looking for a new set of "motivational" friends after regaining the weight, stick to the "right" plan for a few weeks, fail and disappear again...repeat ad nauseum.

One has a proven track record of successful weight loss- even if they fail over long term period of time to maintain- the results were there- and they were tangible. .

There is no dieting approach - or lifestyle change or whatever you want to call it - that has a high success rate. Not a single one. Most people attempting what you describe also fail.

man someone really dislikes you- flagging the heck out of you LOL.
    (not me by the way)...

shrug- I dunno- everyone I know personally has managed just fine maintaining their weight- the only issues are the vanity pounds- 5-15 people waffle on.

The only the things that work are the things you stick too- and detoxing once a month isnt' something sustainable. So regardless of if you seem to think it's got a high success rate- you CAN maintain your weight with moderation and a moderate plan of attack.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    luciloo2 wrote: »
    JoanaMHill wrote: »
    We aren't being negative, we're being honest. You use the word "detox" and talk about "juice cleanses." The first once is a fallacy and the second is just asking for trouble. Most diets like that just get rid of water weight, which comes right back on once you're eating regularly, which just provides reason to be discouraged. You don't need to do anything special, and there's no such thing as a "kickstart" for your body.

Thank you for your advice and I am aware of the effects of these. I want more of a kick start for my mind, I don't expect my body to change during it. Perhaps I didnt phrase it very well.
    Thanks anyway

Take a look at the Jillian Michaels 90-Day Body Revolution program.

She includes what she calls a "kickstart" week. It's not a "cleanse" but rather there are meal plans and workouts.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    any plan involving "intense" is never going to be successful as any plan involving moderate long term changes.

Vast majority of people here (and everywhere else) trying the "long term change" approach also fail.

and they come back and what do they say
    "I lose XXX pounds using weight watchers- or MFP- and kept it off for bla months/years until XXXX event"

unlike people who detox and yo=yo for years the same 5-10 pounds.

No, most of the come back a few months later looking for a new set of "motivational" friends after regaining the weight, stick to the "right" plan for a few weeks, fail and disappear again...repeat ad nauseum.

One has a proven track record of successful weight loss- even if they fail over long term period of time to maintain- the results were there- and they were tangible. .

There is no dieting approach - or lifestyle change or whatever you want to call it - that has a high success rate. Not a single one. Most people attempting what you describe also fail.

man someone really dislikes you- flagging the heck out of you LOL.
    (not me by the way)...

shrug- I dunno- everyone I know personally has managed just fine maintaining their weight- the only issues are the vanity pounds- 5-15 people waffle on.

The only the things that work are the things you stick too- and detoxing once a month isnt' something sustainable. So regardless of if you seem to think it's got a high success rate- you CAN maintain your weight with moderation and a moderate plan of attack.

^absolutely
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    if you aren't prepared to do a general- long term plan that involves moderate effort- what makes you think an intense one that leads to no results other than a pat on the back and you being miserable martyr for 5 days is going to do?

I started my weight loss back in August after a pretty intensive 24 hours of throwing up and crapping out the Hoover Dam's worth of water every 10 minutes, then 2 more days of sleeping in bed.

When I finally was able to drag myself away from the toilet, I found I had lost 5 pounds.

Hey, I said. Why not capitalize on this? That's when I found MFP, logged on and started counting calories.

If I hadn't had those pretty intense three days, I don't know that I would have found the motivation to go on and lose 20 more pounds through CICO.

I don't care that those first five pounds were water weight. I don't care that once I started eating again, I gained three of them back immediately.

What I care about is that I had a pretty intensive kick in the *kitten* that got me started on a long-term plan of moderate weight loss.

I don't suggest the avian flu or whatever I had for everyone. I'm just saying that an intensive plan for several days may be exactly what someone needs to get their head in the right place.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Suggesting the 5:2 diet as a means to miraculously lose weight or "jump start" a weight loss program is silly.

The only silliness going on here is people getting all self righteous about their strawmen - nobody in this thread referred to 5:2 as "miraculous".

The OP went out of her way to say the juicing thing wasn't about weight loss, it was about refocusing her thought processes. There isn't a thing wrong with that....

She initially said she wanted an intensive detox. Perhaps miraculous was the wrong word. Let me revise: Suggesting the 5:2 diet as a means for intensive detox is silly. Because it is.

If someone wants to spend the 2 days of VLC guzzling smoothies and calling it an "intense detox", there's everything wrong with that.

Fixed it for you. :)
  • luciloo2
    Options
    I really feel like I need a week of intensive detox or juicing or some sort to get me back on it and feeling really good again. If I have something to follow I will do it to the letter.
    I believe that if what you call " detox " will provide you with the psychological push to get back on program, by all means do what you think makes things easy or even possible for you.

There it is in a nutshell. The "detox or juicing" thingies are NOT good for you but a short one won't hurt you. There is no reason to spend ANY money at all. Just use real food to make your shakes or whatever.

We often underestimate the placebo effect. Science is finding it is very powerful, even when we intellectually know that there is not really cause and effect. For some folks, adherence to a strict regimen for a short period of time that would not work in the long term works as to set a mental boundary that makes it easier to maintain a long term regimen. We see these kinds of short ritualistic regimens in force whenever we watch professional sports. Be it the Packers Quarterback doing a ritual beard yank yesterday or the odd dances batters go through before stepping to the plate in Major League Baseball, if they win, it's worked, and that is all that matters.

Haha yes so true! I don't believe in juicing or detoxing as a way to lose weight. It isn't maintainable and the weight will go back on blah blah blah, we all know... I didnt start this thread for that reason. I wanted to hear about people's experiences as a guide for something I could do as you suggest above. For a placebo effect for my mind, if something is down in writing and I have in my mind I have to follow it, or else. Then I will, and after a few days I know in my mind I will start to sub consciously start eating well again, as I always did in the past. Right now I'm stuck in a rut and need a kick up the *kitten* to get me going again :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    Suggesting the 5:2 diet as a means to miraculously lose weight or "jump start" a weight loss program is silly.

The only silliness going on here is people getting all self righteous about their strawmen - nobody in this thread referred to 5:2 as "miraculous".

The OP went out of her way to say the juicing thing wasn't about weight loss, it was about refocusing her thought processes. There isn't a thing wrong with that....

She initially said she wanted an intensive detox. Perhaps miraculous was the wrong word. Let me revise: Suggesting the 5:2 diet as a means for intensive detox is silly. Because it is.

If someone wants to spend the 2 days of VLC guzzling smoothies and calling it an "intense detox", there's everything wrong with that.

You're either failing to understand what was said, or you're claiming there's "everything" wrong with intermittent fasting.

Which one is it?

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I really feel like I need a week of intensive detox or juicing or some sort to get me back on it and feeling really good again. If I have something to follow I will do it to the letter.
    I believe that if what you call " detox " will provide you with the psychological push to get back on program, by all means do what you think makes things easy or even possible for you.

There it is in a nutshell. The "detox or juicing" thingies are NOT good for you but a short one won't hurt you. There is no reason to spend ANY money at all. Just use real food to make your shakes or whatever.

We often underestimate the placebo effect. Science is finding it is very powerful, even when we intellectually know that there is not really cause and effect. For some folks, adherence to a strict regimen for a short period of time that would not work in the long term works as to set a mental boundary that makes it easier to maintain a long term regimen. We see these kinds of short ritualistic regimens in force whenever we watch professional sports. Be it the Packers Quarterback doing a ritual beard yank yesterday or the odd dances batters go through before stepping to the plate in Major League Baseball, if they win, it's worked, and that is all that matters.

Haha yes so true! I don't believe in juicing or detoxing as a way to lose weight. It isn't maintainable and the weight will go back on blah blah blah, we all know... I didnt start this thread for that reason. I wanted to hear about people's experiences as a guide for something I could do as you suggest above. For a placebo effect for my mind, if something is down in writing and I have in my mind I have to follow it, or else. Then I will, and after a few days I know in my mind I will start to sub consciously start eating well again, as I always did in the past. Right now I'm stuck in a rut and need a kick up the *kitten* to get me going again :)

Being in a rut happens.

When I need a kick in the butt, I clear a day over the weekend. Then, I use that day to plan my meals for the week, make a great grocery list with everything that helps me hit my macros and then cook/chop/prepare everything for the fridge and freezer. Once I have everything prepared, it's really hard forme to go off the wagon because it's just as easy to grab something that fits than it is to grab takeout.
  • luciloo2
    Options
    if you aren't prepared to do a general- long term plan that involves moderate effort- what makes you think an intense one that leads to no results other than a pat on the back and you being miserable martyr for 5 days is going to do?

I started my weight loss back in August after a pretty intensive 24 hours of throwing up and crapping out the Hoover Dam's worth of water every 10 minutes, then 2 more days of sleeping in bed.

When I finally was able to drag myself away from the toilet, I found I had lost 5 pounds.

Hey, I said. Why not capitalize on this? That's when I found MFP, logged on and started counting calories.

If I hadn't had those pretty intense three days, I don't know that I would have found the motivation to go on and lose 20 more pounds through CICO.

I don't care that those first five pounds were water weight. I don't care that once I started eating again, I gained three of them back immediately.

What I care about is that I had a pretty intensive kick in the *kitten* that got me started on a long-term plan of moderate weight loss.

I don't suggest the avian flu or whatever I had for everyone. I'm just saying that an intensive plan for several days may be exactly what someone needs to get their head in the right place.

Exactly!! Good for you!
    I never had an issue before with my eating, my usual weekly shop would be mostly veg and meats and I wouldn't batter an eyelid to it. That I know is no problem.
    It's getting back there. I've had a pretty tough few months and slowly started eating more for convince and found the healthy stuff a chore again.
    I know once I get going it won't be an issue, I need some.motivation to get back going again and feeling the buzz I used to feel after a serious work out and loving all that glorious healthy food again.
  • luciloo2
    Options
    Would appreciate some constructive comments here. Forgive my impatience, this is the first time I've ever posted here and didn't expect this negativity.

constructive comment

Yes I see what you are saying.
    However I have never had an issue before sustaining a healthy diet and exercise regime.I have had a fairly stressful few months and as I said, I have fallen off the wagon.
    Anyhow, I wanted to do something to get my head back into gear. And to pick up where I left off, back in October!

Why the heck would I do some stupid diet for 5 days and go back to stuffing myself with chocolate and convince food like I have been for the last few weeks haha. That would be a waste of time an energy.
  • luciloo2
    Options
    Im a little lost here with the conversation now anyways, you guys continue your discussion!
    And thanks for all your inputs...
    Anyone else who has some other valuable advice I'd welcome private messages.
  • luciloo2
    Options

Being in a rut happens.

When I need a kick in the butt, I clear a day over the weekend. Then, I use that day to plan my meals for the week, make a great grocery list with everything that helps me hit my macros and then cook/chop/prepare everything for the fridge and freezer. Once I have everything prepared, it's really hard forme to go off the wagon because it's just as easy to grab something that fits than it is to grab takeout.

Thats a great idea. At the moment I'm away from home and in between places so am doing the best I can until I am back next week and I have a few days off from work I can get myself sorted, and then I have no excuses.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

You're either failing to understand what was said, or you're claiming there's "everything" wrong with intermittent fasting.

Which one is it?

Nope... It was specifically for your comment that there's not a thing wrong with "guzzling smoothies" on a VLC diet. Whether it's for 2 days or 2 years, it's not healthy in the slightest.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Would appreciate some constructive comments here. Forgive my impatience, this is the first time I've ever posted here and didn't expect this negativity.

constructive comment

However I have never had an issue before sustaining a healthy diet and exercise regime.I have had a fairly stressful few months and as I said, I have fallen off the wagon.
    Anyhow, I wanted to do something to get my head back into gear. And to pick up where I left off, back in October!

Why the heck would I do some stupid diet for 5 days and go back to stuffing myself with chocolate and convince food like I have been for the last few weeks haha. That would be a waste of time an energy.

I was in the hospital for a few days last month, and was released on Thanksgiving day. I'm now being sent for a surgeon consult to have my colon resectioned. Everyone has problems, and everyone falls off the wagon. The point is that instead of using a trick to get yourself back on the proverbial wagon just restart doing what you would likely be doing anyhow - weighing and measuring food, logging it, exercising.

There's going to be chocolate in my day, and as long as I stay in my caloric goals I'm good. It's not a waste of my time and energy, it keeps me sane. If getting on the wagon meant giving up everything I enjoy, I'd never get on it much less stay on it.
  • luciloo2
    Options

constructive comment

I was in the hospital for a few days last month, and was released on Thanksgiving day. I'm now being sent for a surgeon consult to have my colon resectioned. Everyone has problems, and everyone falls off the wagon. The point is that instead of using a trick to get yourself back on the proverbial wagon just restart doing what you would likely be doing anyhow - weighing and measuring food, logging it, exercising.

There's going to be chocolate in my day, and as long as I stay in my caloric goals I'm good. It's not a waste of my time and energy, it keeps me sane. If getting on the wagon meant giving up everything I enjoy, I'd never get on it much less stay on it.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get well soon.
    I totally agree, however Im not suggesting id give up chocolate forever. That would be crazy haha. Just for a few days, cut out my sugar dairy and caffeine. Double up on my veg and ill probably be good to go.
    Once I have done that for a few days I know ill safely be able to manage a chocolate without wanting the entire bag.

Anyway, we all have our own goals and our own opinions..I have no idea of your long term goals and neither do you of mine. Everyone has assumed that after the few days of fasting/detoxing/cleasing/whatever the f you wana call it. I will go back to my Christmas eating habits.
    It doesn't matter any more, I have throughly learnt my lesson. I posted this in a 2 am daze and never expecting these responses. Clearly I hadn't thought my ideas through before putting them in front of such opinionated people. (Not you, you've been helpful however some others have not been).
    So I thank you for that.
    And I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • kur0shiro
    kur0shiro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im a little lost here with the conversation now anyways, you guys continue your discussion!
    And thanks for all your inputs...
    Anyone else who has some other valuable advice I'd welcome private messages.

Lol, I know. Got lost in the conversation too. Too much off-topic discussion went down that I think they forgot what you were talking about in the first place when you started the thread. Hahaha.

Anyway, I've always wanted to try juicing! But I really prioritize exercise and I don't think I'll survive my workouts with just juices. What I usually do to motivate myself though is making changes to my diet. I try to just eat healthy for a few days then I get pumped to start combining said diet with working out. Or I just eat whatever I like (not in crazy amounts though) and then I get excited to burn all of that through exercise! hahaha
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    #TeamIntermittentFasting
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    lol at me getting flagged. It's nice to have a response to my posts by cowards. Umm so what happens if you get a ton of flags (besides a post being hidden)? serious question.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest the cranberry and kale cleanse, basically, you drink cranberry juice for a day, eat kale and drink cranberry juice the next day. Then the third day, half your intake is kale and cranberry juice. The rest is protein, within reason.
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When it comes to diets, the only thing diets will help to slim down long year is your an account. Any diet is geared towards short term and mostly unsustainable change. Even counting calories, without the mind set that this will be your new mentality for life could fail. Making small changes over time I have found is more beneficial long term. Like smaller portions, less sugars, reduced soda intake etc will add up to big gains. Calories are like money. If you spend more that you make your reserve will shrink. If you take in more than you spend your reserves will grow. With informed food choices and a slight increase in activity your well on your way to sucess.