lalepepper wrote: »
    starvation mode

My only response to that is

bfrix936gfzw.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    The thing that I hear the most which bugs the crap out of me is, "You don't need to lose anymore weight." or "You are getting too skinny, have a cupcake!"

Again, I feel like I live in a different world sometimes, as I'd never hear anyone say the latter. People do say the former (my pilates instructor said it, which is silly, since she's way thinner than I am), but it doesn't bother me. I just smile and go on doing what I'm doing.
  • Bigblueboyscout
    Bigblueboyscout Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep getting this off family. Especially around this time of year. It does get frustrating having to remind them of why your doing what your doing. But i suppose they don't mean any harm by it.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "are you allowed to eat that?"
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »
    starvation mode

bfrix936gfzw.gif

Ugh, if only I had the energy to respond to all the nonsense! In my field keeping up relationships with my coworkers is essential and I can't really call people out on the stupid stuff - I also need to avoid sounding like a know-it-all, so I basically just say "Well, you asked me what's working for me and I told you, take it as you will"

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    starvation mode

bfrix936gfzw.gif

Ugh, if only I had the energy to respond to all the nonsense! In my field keeping up relationships with my coworkers is essential and I can't really call people out on the stupid stuff - I also need to avoid sounding like a know-it-all, so I basically just say "Well, you asked me what's working for me and I told you, take it as you will"

Yeeeeah. I would personally never do intermittent fasting (on purpose) but as long as you're getting what you need out of it there's nothing wrong with it. It's the same for anything, though. You could just be on a regular diet, cutting back portions, and some people will think they know a better way.
  • lalepepper
    Options
    starvation mode

bfrix936gfzw.gif

Yeeeeah. I would personally never do intermittent fasting (on purpose) but as long as you're getting what you need out of it there's nothing wrong with it. It's the same for anything, though. You could just be on a regular diet, cutting back portions, and some people will think they know a better way.

Exactly - I always remind people that being successful is about finding and establishing habits that work for you as an individual. By no means do I think IF would work for just anybody, but it works for plenty of people and happens to work for me. Some people will tell you any restriction of calories is disordered eating - you can't win!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "Just don't get too skinny"

I remember wanting to throat-punch my mother after she said this for about the eleventy-billionth fricking time. It's not like you slip on a banana peel, and whoopsie! Now you weigh 74 pounds! -_-

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    i guess it's different from everyone, but sometimes we have to see where people are coming, i mean in my personal experience, all and every one of my friends are in a normal weight, haven't had ever weight issues so of course they are going to thing that the way they eat is perfect and that diet include many things and many time a lot of what they offer me when they say the "you can just have one", so that's why i don't feel bad , but at the same time they don't keep insisting if i say no thank you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "You're losing your womanly curves."

Here's your response:

"Oh, darn. I would hate for someone I am not in a relationship with and have no interest in having sex appeal toward to suddenly become unattracted to me." Snort.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    i guess it's different from everyone, but sometimes we have to see where people are coming, i mean in my personal experience, all and every one of my friends are in a normal weight, haven't had ever weight issues so of course they are going to thing that the way they eat is perfect and that diet include many things and many time a lot of what they offer me when they say the "you can just have one", so that's why i don't feel bad , but at the same time they don't keep insisting if i say no thank you.

lol *think*
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    starvation mode

bfrix936gfzw.gif

Exactly - I always remind people that being successful is about finding and establishing habits that work for you as an individual. By no means do I think IF would work for just anybody, but it works for plenty of people and happens to work for me. Some people will tell you any restriction of calories is disordered eating - you can't win!

Pretty sure the fact that I used to eat entire sleeves of Saltine crackers qualified more as disordered eating than me eating the serving size now. Oh well.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if someone asks me once, "are you sure?" or "Just one?" I'm Italian, I get it, we always want to make sure someone isnt hungry. But it gets annoying when I'm pushed beyond the normal because I can feel my willpower weakening and I have to stop and envision what I want for myself and try to understand where the other person is coming from. Luckily, I've been very good around here at work considering the holiday and retirement parties. I've "splurged" by trying a small portion of something once or twice (nothing off limits unless extremely processed). People are always amazed when I do that, or turn it down completely.

I fend off my well-meaning Italian friends and family (the most serious food pushers) with "maybe later". This seems to reassure them that I'm not going to go hungry and there's nothing wrong with their food and it keeps my from having to give in, even a little, to how someone else thinks I should eat because I refuse to eat just to get someone to leave me alone.

• lalepepper
    Options
    I don't mind if someone asks me once, "are you sure?" or "Just one?" I'm Italian, I get it, we always want to make sure someone isnt hungry. But it gets annoying when I'm pushed beyond the normal because I can feel my willpower weakening and I have to stop and envision what I want for myself and try to understand where the other person is coming from. Luckily, I've been very good around here at work considering the holiday and retirement parties. I've "splurged" by trying a small portion of something once or twice (nothing off limits unless extremely processed). People are always amazed when I do that, or turn it down completely.

I fend off my well-meaning Italian friends and family (the most serious food pushers) with "maybe later". This seems to reassure them that I'm not going to go hungry and there's nothing wrong with their food and it keeps my from having to give in, even a little, to how someone else thinks I should eat because I refuse to eat just to get someone to leave me alone.

This is a great suggestion. While I don't have an Italian family, I quickly learned that definite refusals are a lot more offensive to people than a more open-ended "Maybe later".
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "We just want you to get healthy." Said repeatedly by my mother-in-law whose azz is twice as big as mine.
  • SILENTxMURDER
    Options
    'How do you do it?'
    After spending hours explaining to them, what you can and cannot do, the tips, the advices, the alternatives to 'bad' foods etc..
    They just reply with a 'Whoa, too hard! Sorry..' -_-
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    "Don't do too much" (as in exercise). "Make that the last one" (food) When I was lying on the couch inhaling a 16 inch pizza, why didn't you comment then, hmmm?....
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I HATE the "don't lose any more weight- you'll look skeletal" comment. I'm 5'9" and i was roughly 148lbs. My mom dropped that one on me. Wtf- I'm not exactly fading away!!

I've had this at 5'9" and 180lbs.
    In fairness, I think it's just because people are having trouble reconciling their mental image of you (likely at a heavier weight) with the person in front of them. I think when they get used to it and their mental image catches up these comments will stop.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose that much", well I do. But thank you for seeing me with rose tinted goggles.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    KarenB927 wrote: »
    I saw my brother and sister-in-law for the first time in August after not seeing them for a couple years (they live in a different State). The first thing my sister-in-law said was "Oh My God, what the hell did you do to yourself?"

Wow! She must have been really jealous.