I know many people are against cleanses but....a TMI problem

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
I have suffered from chronic irregularity, which has now gotten worse post-holiday. I can go 2-3 days without going, and I get bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable. I could be 2-3 lbs. heavier on those days. I eat lots of fiber (25-30 grams a day), and even take a fiber supplement, but sometimes that even makes things worse. I also take a probiotic every day. Sometimes, I have some luck with eating something fatty, such as bacon, but this week tried it with no luck. I am starting to wonder whether the holiday eating has kind of wrecked my digestion (ironically, when I was overeating on the holidays, I had no problem in the bathroom!). I know most people on this site don't recommend a cleanse, but I wonder if in my situation, one is in order to restore my system to normalcy. It can't possibly be healthy to remain in this condition, and it certainly is uncomfortable. I went to the drugstore and asked the pharmacist which one she would recommend, but she said they don't recommend "weight loss products" (although this is not for the purpose of weight loss). She also said that more and more fiber will just make things worse. She said to take Miralax, but I have heard laxatives can be habit forming. I did pick up a supplement that has rhubarb, which is supposed to be effective. Any recommendations for a cleansing system that is not too radical? I don't want to have to starve myself or develop diarrhea; however, I'm on semester break from my teaching duties, so I do have the luxury of following a 7 to 14 day regimen.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If I was going to do anything like a "cleanse", I'd go the doctor first, express my concerns and see what they said. You may have something wrong that can be diagnosed and regulated with meds...it may be more than you think it is.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Natural Vitality Natural Calm
    Get it on Amazon or at healthfood stores. Take it every night. It's a magnesium supplement that works EVERYTIME. You may have to play around to figure out the correct dosage for you, but you will thank me. :)
  • rosebette
    Options
    Get it on Amazon or at healthfood stores. Take it every night. It's a magnesium supplement that works EVERYTIME. You may have to play around to figure out the correct dosage for you, but you will thank me. :)

I just checked out the product's site, and it looks like it's a magnesium supplement. I already take a magnesium supplement. Perhaps I should play with the dosage so that it's the same as this product?

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What sort of fiber are you taking? Also you state you "take a probiotic". What is the brand you take and do you take it regularly? Are you taking prebiotics in conjunction with the pro?

I just read a book last month on gut health and I learned a LOT. I also have been taking prebiotics, probiotics, fiber, and added fermented foods to my diet and my stomach isn't wonky any more.
  • rosebette
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What are prebiotics? I'm taking Nature's Bounty acidophilus twice a day and Fiber Choice Weight Management Chewables, which have inulin (3 g of dietary and 3 g soluble fiber) and Chromium Piccolinate. I take two of the Fiber Choice twice a day. As I said, no luck with this stuff. In fact, the Fiber Choice makes me more bloated and gassy than products I've used before, such as psyllium-based supplements.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

I just checked out the product's site, and it looks like it's a magnesium supplement. I already take a magnesium supplement. Perhaps I should play with the dosage so that it's the same as this product?

Are you taking Mag Citrate or Mag Oxide? I also took a supplement in pill form but wasn't having positive results. A nutritionist suggest Natural Calm (she takes it herself) and it was the best advice for me. Could have been a dosing issue... idk, but the stuff works. Head over to Amazon and read the reviews. I'm a review hound and the numerous success stories there along with the advice from the pro was enough to encourage me to try it. Mag Citrate is what you want.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I need about 40 grams of fiber a day, so you may also be in that boat. I use lentils, berries, beans, and prunes to reach my goal. You need to drink a lot of water along with the fiber or as has been mentioned, things can get worse.

You have to use laxatives for an extended period to get "addicted;" taking Miralax twice a day for a week isn't going to hurt you. And if you feel the need to flush things out, you can always do a colonoscopy prep. There won't be anything left!

• rosebette
    Options
    I just checked the bottle. I'm taking Magnesium Oxide, but my supplement is 500 mg. So I should try Mag Citrate instead, I guess. I've just been on Amazon researching various cleanses. I want something to be effective, but I don't want to be chained to the bathroom for a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So I just skimmed your diary.

Go to white castle/five guys- get a burger.

problem solved.

You're fat content is WAY to low.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Eat a bunch of protein...that'll make you go ;).
  • rosebette
    Options
    I looked up magnesium, and wonder how does this product differ from good ol' Phillips Milk of Magneisa, which actually has more magnesia. I've been avoiding Phillips and other such products because they are actually laxatives and I don't want to become laxative dependent.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    What are prebiotics? I'm taking Nature's Bounty acidophilus twice a day and Fiber Choice Weight Management Chewables, which have inulin (3 g of dietary and 3 g soluble fiber) and Chromium Piccolinate. I take two of the Fiber Choice twice a day. As I said, no luck with this stuff. In fact, the Fiber Choice makes me more bloated and gassy than products I've used before, such as psyllium-based supplements.

Prebiotics are carbs that can't be digested by your body and feeds the probiotics. Pretty much anything you eat has prebiotic properties but some foods that have a lot of it are asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes, bananas, oatmeal, and legumes. I also supplement with this:
    http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/item01386/TruFiber. I haven't felt bloated or anything like that from it and I take it twice a day.

I also take another product that apparently isn't sold by the company any longer as well as a digestive enzyme.

I also take a probiotic along with eating yogurt, raw milk and other "bacteria" foods.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I looked up magnesium, and wonder how does this product differ from good ol' Phillips Milk of Magneisa, which actually has more magnesia. I've been avoiding Phillips and other such products because they are actually laxatives and I don't want to become laxative dependent.

FAT.
    YOU NEED MORE FAT.

not laxatives.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Please don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet—see a doctor ASAP! Certain digestive issues are worsened by normal fiber intake—much less the megadoses you're taking.

Your quality of life will be so much better if you get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Do not mess around with your health.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I go 5-6 days w/o "going".. I tried cleanses as well as fruit smoothies and it did not help me. What helped me most is drinking coffee in the AM & Taking a short walk right after. Everyone's different. My mom can't "go" unless she has her apple & milk every night before going to bed.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If I was going to do anything like a "cleanse", I'd go the doctor first, express my concerns and see what they said. You may have something wrong that can be diagnosed and regulated with meds...it may be more than you think it is.

This. Plus drink coffee. Works for me every time.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Coffee and fiber one bars. Gets me every time.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Please don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet—see a doctor ASAP! Certain digestive issues are worsened by normal fiber intake—much less the megadoses you're taking.

Your quality of life will be so much better if you get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Do not mess around with your health.

Who is giving medical advice? People are telling her what they do to stay regular. No one has given any sort of advice that could be construed as medical. My advice is pretty common knowledge about the bacteria in your gut and what you should take to keep it in balance. Google it. You'll find a plethora of articles about pre and probiotics.

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Agree with others who said talk to a doctor but in the mean time I would say increase your water intake and try Miralax. My daughter was having similar problems and here's what the doctor suggested. 2 weeks of taking miralax then ensuring you get enough fiber daily. She said if you increase fiber before dealing with the back up it may make it worse. Miralax seems gentle. It didn't cause cramping or a sudden need to go just helped make it easier. Taking in more water can help as will leafy greens. Your body pulls water from your waste as needed so if you aren't consuming enough it may pull more from your waste leading to constipation.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

FAT.
    YOU NEED MORE FAT.

not laxatives.

I would give this suggestion a try before you alter your supplements too much, especially if this is a relatively new trend.

Add some red meat, avocado, olive oil, and cheese for a week, see if that changes things