I know many people are against cleanses but....a TMI problem

Options

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have been having some issues for the last year. I typically go a week without going (with no pain, discomfort or "need" to go.) I went to a doctor, and was told just to increase my fiber intake.

When I feel like I should be going, I will take a high dose of vitamin C. Otherwise, if I have them in the house, 40g of Almonds per day works amazingly well. (Probably a good amount of fat, plus fiber in this amazing snack!)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I eat loads of fruit everyday. Bananas, apples, papaya and berries. I also eat a large salad everyday too or some type of greens. Romaine lettuce, arugula... With avocado (good fats) as well. Pretty much regular daily now, sometimes going more than once per day too. Oh and I have to add, I don't take supplements either. Sometimes, they result in unintended consequences within the body...
  • MissSavie
    MissSavie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use strong coffee to help keep me more regular. It doesn't always work but does more often than not. I will sometimes put Benefiber in the coffee, too.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    natural calm magnesium supplement, turned this problem around for me for good.
    If I miss a day or two the problem returns.
    Fiber did nothing, and eating greasy nasty fast food made me even more uncomfortable and sick so I dont suggest that....
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I have been having some issues for the last year. I typically go a week without going (with no pain, discomfort or "need" to go.) I went to a doctor, and was told just to increase my fiber intake.

When I feel like I should be going, I will take a high dose of vitamin C. Otherwise, if I have them in the house, 40g of Almonds per day works amazingly well. (Probably a good amount of fat, plus fiber in this amazing snack!)

I don't know if I could bear going a week without going. I tend to get uncomfortable after a couple of days. My spouse tells me I'm "abnormal" if I skip even one day and that normal people go after every meal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Dogs go after every meal. Once a day is normal enough.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    A week? WTF are you people not eating? after 2-3 days I'm wondering what's wrong and I go get a burger from the bar down the street. Seriously- daily- its' the best.
  • rosebette
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Dogs go after every meal. Once a day is normal enough.
    LOL
    :)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    A week? WTF are you people not eating? after 2-3 days I'm wondering what's wrong and I go get a burger from the bar down the street. Seriously- daily- its' the best.

For some people once a week is "normal" (it's really not though). It points to a problem in the bacteria in your stomach/intestines. I just read a book on this and it was quite interesting. But yeah, after ONE day of not going I get irritated.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    man, just pull it out manually after a week.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Points to all the people who have already said to increase your fat intake.

Aside from that, have you tried Yakult? My husband has guts problems a little more frequently than is normal, and since he started drinking one every day, he's leveled out a lot better.
  • rosebette
    Options
    What is Yakult?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    What is Yakult?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Yakult
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wish simply eating lots of fruit and drinking plenty of coffee would help me!
    If I don't go for 2 days I get unbearable and painful cramping all the way up under my ribs and have been known to also vomit bile after not pooping for 2 days. I can't imagine what it would feel like after a week!!

A friend of mine took yakult and she had hideous breath while drinking it. Not sure of the connection??? But her breath returned to normal after she stopped.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Natural Vitality Natural Calm
    Get it on Amazon or at healthfood stores. Take it every night. It's a magnesium supplement that works EVERYTIME. You may have to play around to figure out the correct dosage for you, but you will thank me. :)

I just checked out the product's site, and it looks like it's a magnesium supplement. I already take a magnesium supplement. Perhaps I should play with the dosage so that it's the same as this product?
    I take magnesium (250 mg) every night before bed and 500 mg of Vitamin C too. Works like a charm. I've done it for about 6 months and I have no issues.

I've also tried 1 tbsp. of ground flax in warm water with 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil. That has worked too.

Looks like fat (a lack of) in your diet would be a factor too.

• rosebette
    Options
    Well, I just came back from 3 days in Portland, ME, which has incredible food. I was off-plan and ended up gaining back everything I had lost in a year. However, I had no problems in the bathroom department obviously because I was getting plenty of fat. But just because you are "going" doesn't mean you're getting rid of that much excess weight or calories, for anyone who is contemplating a cleanse for those reasons. If you eat too many calories, you'll gain no mater how much time you spend in the bathroom!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rosebette wrote:
    I have suffered from chronic irregularity
    ... I eat lots of fiber (25-30 grams a day), and even take a fiber supplement, but sometimes that even makes things worse.
    ... I know most people on this site don't recommend a cleanse, but I wonder if in my situation, one is in order to restore my system to normalcy.
    ... [pharmacist said] more and more fiber will just make things worse. She said to take Miralax, but I have heard laxatives can be habit forming.
    See your doctor, since this is a chronic thing.
    You don't need a "cleanse", you probably don't even need an enema of any sort.

Up the fiber (both natural & supplement). Taking a dose or 2 of metamucil every day won't hurt you.

Try the miralax for a couple weeks, but don't get too happy with the dosing or you're going to have problems once it takes effect.
    I grandpa-sit a guy who occasionally decides he hasn't gone in a while, so he gets into the miralax & takes several doses a day for a couple days (there's not always someone there with him), then he has diarrhea for several days. I try to hide the miralax, but the other caregivers put it where he can reach it. He never learns, nor do they. :angry:

Drink lots of water, esp. while you're using the miralax & eating higher fiber.

Try a stool softener for a couple weeks.

Exercise (such as walking) will help.
    Fiber is over rated- it's a binding agent- not a going agent
    You realize too much fiber make the issue worse, right
    Wrong.
    Dietary (insoluble) fiber holds water, making the stool softer, which makes it pass along the digestive tract more easily, including the a.n.u.s. (Since the software bleeps out that word. It's a medical term, for goshsakes!)
    But there has to be enough water for it to work with.
    I would bet many of the people on this board at least know someone who has had their gallbladder removed in the last twenty years. And I would also bet that a majority of those followed eating a low/no fat diet at some point prior.
    correlation /= causation
    I'll bet that all those people who had their gallbladders removed also drank water, rode in a motor vehicle, and walked in the sun.
    My spouse tells me I'm "abnormal" if I skip even one day and that normal people go after every meal
    Normal depends on the person. It can be twice a day or once a week. As long as it's not causing distress/discomfort, it's OK.
    I just came back from 3 days in Portland, ME, which has incredible food. I was off-plan and ended up gaining back everything I had lost in a year
    :astonished: In 3 days??
    3500 cal / lb x [how many pounds?] = amount in excess of bodily needs you ate to gain that much
  • rosebette
    edited January 2015
    Options

Drink lots of water, esp. while you're using the miralax & eating higher fiber.

Try a stool softener for a couple weeks.

"Exercise (such as walking) will help. "

I do plenty of exercise, including walking 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day, so I wouldn't say that's the problem.

[
    I just came back from 3 days in Portland, ME, which has incredible food. I was off-plan and ended up gaining back everything I had lost in a year
    :astonished: In 3 days??
    3500 cal / lb x [how many pounds?] = amount in excess of bodily needs you ate to gain that much
    [/quote]

Actually, the weight gain includes weight I gained over the holidays. I've been averaging between 118 to 120, and was up to 122 by New Year's. Now, I'm up around 126, my starting weight at MFP.

Actually, it's possible for someone my size to gain that much maybe not in a week, but over 2 or 3 weeks. I'm small and 56; my BMR is 1136, so with activity, my TDEE is around 1500. All I have to do is eat 2000 calories a day (not a huge amount of food, in fact the average intake for a more average-height younger person), and I can gain a lb. a week, 2500 2 lbs. a week. Believe me, all it takes is a big meal with dessert to get me up there. Whereas to lose one lb. a week, I have to eat 500 calories less per day, which is only 1000 calories a day, almost an impossibility. So, unfortunately, it will probably take me a good 6 months to lose what I gained in under a month!
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    Add some tabasco or tapatio to your food. And stay away from fast food. I ate wendys one time and I didnt poop for a day or 2
  • rosebette
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't eat fast food (although it's a fairly effective laxative for me). If I am going to eat out, it's going to be authentic, home cooked style, or a really different cuisine. That's why Portland was such a downfall for me. There was a fantastic restaurant or bar, often several, on every street. While it's unrealistic to expect to eat pancakes with homemade blueberry for compote breakfast, a lobster dinner (with chowder and steamers) and then visit a chocolate martini bar serving flourless chocolate tortes for dessert (yes, I did this) and maintain my weight, at least I can say that my overindulgence was quality stuff.