confronted girl-mcdonalds-ceo we-dont-sell-junk-food

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, kids can't drive through the drive thru... While I get that older kids can and will eat junk food using their own means (including walking there, particularly if they have an open campus for lunch and there is a McDonald's near by) younger kids are still subjected to their parents will when it comes to where they go when they eat. I go to Braum's to buy milk all the time, my daughter KNOWS they sell Ice cream there... she starts saying "Ice Cream" when we go... Sometimes she gets some and sometimes not, but that is my decision, not hers.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    poor girl, she is only 9 and already brainwashed by her mom
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    The "health" companies could use the same strategy. Put fun toys or stuff in their foods.....................................I've NEVER seen it. Best you get is a coupon on your next purchase.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No amount of belief, or activism..is an excuse for being disrespectful and just not a kind human being.
    Talking to people like they are beneath you because they don't share your ideas shows that you are also a closed minded person.
    Everyone is entitled to how they feel, not everyone's mind works the same way..

I don't like Taco Bell, but I'm not going to go burn a Taco Bell to the ground and kill people becuase I think they are selling food
    that is killing others who have no control. I just don't go to Taco Bell, Done!!
    If you are a fanatical activist noone will listen to a word you say because it comes from hate, and anger and noone responds well to that.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have only heard of some of this exchange, but understand that the little girl took the CEO to task about "tricking kids into buying McDonald's food". If I were the CEO, I would have asked the girl how she got the financial resources to buy said food, b/c if she doesn't have the money, "she" ain't the one buying the food, and "she" ain't the one being "tricked". If Mom is giving her money to buy McDonald's, maybe Mom oughta practice what she preaches.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    No amount of belief, or activism..is an excuse for being disrespectful and just not a kind human being.
    Talking to people like they are beneath you because they don't share your ideas shows that you are also a closed minded person.
    Everyone is entitled to how they feel, not everyone's mind works the same way..

I don't like Taco Bell, but I'm not going to go burn a Taco Bell to the ground and kill people becuase I think they are selling food
    that is killing others who have no control. I just don't go to Taco Bell, Done!!
    If you are a fanatical activist noone will listen to a word you say because it comes from hate, and anger and noone responds well to that.

Taco Bell does enough burning of their own... *lol*
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What do you think about this ? Love that the mother is teaching her daughter healthy eatting habbits. But we still have mcd's here and there as a treat for the kids

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/26/confronted-by-little-girl-mcdonalds-ceo-insists-we-dont-sell-junk-food/

You've got to love it when the 9 year old is more responsible than the supposed "adult" CEO.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

that is killing others who have no contro
    l. I just don't go to Taco Bell, Done!!

So is it the food or lack of control that is killing them? Are they choking on the food that it is killing them?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (is that enough evers?) going to take my kids (if I someday have them) to McDouche's... disgusting! And the CEO has issues with Pit Bulls being therapy dogs. So *kitten* them!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't know how things work now but when I was a kid I didn't stroll into mcdonalds with my monopoly money and buy myself a big mac.. My mom decided what my brother and I ate. Companies can market however ridiculously they want, that doesn't force anyone to eat or feed their children certain things. What it really comes down to is laziness honestly. If people would rather take their kids to eat fast food rather than cook for them at home, thats on them. Believe it or not, sometimes I walk past a bunch of fast food places and nobody runs out, physically drags me in and shoves chicken nuggets down my throat. Crazy, I know but we all have choices.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Funny, I thought the grown ups decided what kids could eat. I remember many of the grown ups in charge of my diet denying me food they didn't think I should have whether I whined or not.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If it isn't McDonald's it is going to be some other place which serves less healthy food.

Our son goes grocery shopping with me. He has seen me read food labels and talk about the amount of sugar/fat in various products. When he was about 8, I charged him with being the King of Label Reading....so he has learned how to read labels and to make good choices.

That lead into his asking me about the nutrient content of other foods.

He has the skills now to make good choices and that's what I want for him.

And, we made a deal now that he learned on his own how fatty fries are that he can have fast food fries once a week. He choses a medium size without salt.

It isn't Mcdonald's responsibility to teach this child about healthy eating.

AMEN! I ate a lot of Mcdonalds as a kid, and I personally like their food (or used to), but lately every time I eat there I get sick later and feel bad, so I don't buy their food anymore (or very rarely). Bottom line is, the CEO of Mcdonalds didn't walk into my house with a gun and make me go there and buy their food and eat it; I *CHOSE* to do that. People need to realize that yes, they sell unhealthy food, but NO, they don't have to eat it. Is it a part of the problem? Sure. But the main problem is parents not teaching their kids how to make healthy food choices, and then blaming the problem on other people. GAH!
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options

McDonald's have had playgrounds for as long as I can remember. Had I screamed to stop at one my father would have most likely smacked my mouth.
    I have to agree that you cannot blame and attack the retailer. I mean, honestly, who is next? McDonald's doesn't hide what they sell anymore than Hershey's does. And don't anyone dare attack Hersheys :grumble:

"cannot blame and attack the retailer"

I'm pretty sure the exact same things were said about the tobacco industry. They stopped using cartoon camels/cowboys to advertise in the late 80's, right? Once enough people die from obesity related illnesses, it will change. Unfortunately, too many people do not eat it in moderation and do not teach their children healthy habits because they, themselves, do not know any better. If everybody was already doing that, it would be a non-issue.
    [/quote]

Actually Joe Camel didn't get pulled until 1997, and that was only because of the argument that it targeted kids, which the FTR fully admitted in court that they had absolutely no statistical studies to prove any such thing. And...

*copy and paste*
    Under questioning, Paul Torrens, a professor of health services administration at UCLA who chaired the National Institute of Medicine's 1994 report mentioning advertising as a factor in causing kids to smoke, said cigarette advertising creates a ``norm'' that smoking is acceptable and, together with other influences, encourages children to start smoking.
    He admitted, however, that while tobacco ads may play a role, the panel could find no specific evidence of advertising alone causing problems and that it hadn't looked closely at Joe Camel ads vs. other ad campaigns.

So Yes, those things were "said" about the tobacco industry, but it was never proven.

Just a side note, my ENTIRE family smoked (Dad, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles) when I was growing up. The only reason I thought it was normal and acceptable to smoke was because of them.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I hate the "blame the food company" mentality that is going around. Go to any other western country and you will find McDonald's, Burger King and other junk food and fast food all marketed in the same or similar ways, yet most of these countries don't have anywhere close to the obesity rates of the US. At some point it comes down to personal responsibility and teaching your children how to eat healthily.

Totally agree....no one forces anyone to eat at Mcdonalds....it is all a personal choice as to go there or not, and if you go, what to eat! I think it is all about balance and moderation. I also don't get the whole blame McDonalds....why not Burger King...Wendys....etc etc....even Subway isn't as healthy as most people think.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    What do you think about this ? Love that the mother is teaching her daughter healthy eatting habbits. But we still have mcd's here and there as a treat for the kids

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/26/confronted-by-little-girl-mcdonalds-ceo-insists-we-dont-sell-junk-food/

You've got to love it when the 9 year old is more responsible than the supposed "adult" CEO.

Just how is the 9 year old responsible? Because she can parrot her mother's talking points?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Just how is the 9 year old responsible? Because she can parrot her mother's talking points?
    Agree. We say that children aren't responsible enough to make the right food/health choices so we blame the fast food industry (especially McDs), but when one stands up and blames the industry, suddenly they're super responsible. Makes no sense.
    Being a puppet and/or parrot does not make someone a responsible person.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of this.... 1) I don't eat mcdonalds (with the exception of an oatmeal in a pinch) because I consider nearly everything they sell to be "junk food" 2) My kids won't eat mcdonalds for these reasons 3) if we shut down mcdonalds, we also need to close every liquor store, every tobacco company, every candy company.... the list goes on. Bottom line... there are companies out there that make products that are not good for us, our children, our pets, the environment, etc but its a free country and they can do whatever they want. It is our job to arm ourselves with the information we need to make an informed decision.

While we're on the subject...do you feed your dogs grocery store food? That's like doggy mcdonalds. Do your research on pet nutrition people. That food is garbage and you're sending your dogs to an early grave by giving into the hype and believing the Purina commercials. Just saying - I own a holistic pet store and specialize in pet nutrition.

Do I disagree that these companies use these tactics to trick people into buying something they THINK is good for them? Absolutely.... but that's never going to change so the burden is on you to get informed and teach your children and your friends, family, co-workers how to make better choices. Period. But kudos for that little girl and her mom for calling out the McD's on what they are doing. A salad with a calorie count of like 500-600? Junk food IMHO.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    A salad with a calorie count of like 500-600? Junk food IMHO.
    I understand what you're saying, but just want to point out, the salads don't have that many calories... it's the dressings and crap that are added to them. You can easily have a full salad with grilled chicken for under 250 calories by not using dressing or squeezing lemons onto it instead. The premium bacon ranch salad with grilled chicken is only 230 calories (410 with ranch dressing - still not 500-600).

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/meal_bundles/favoritesunder400.html

(Note: not picking on you or trying to be rude or anything - just wanted to clarify :flowerforyou: )
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with eating at McDonalds for adults or children. I eat there but prefer other fast food places. A happy meal with chicken nuggets / hamburger, apple slices and milk is not an unhealthy choice for a child.

Wait? What? Of course chicken nuggets or a fast food burger is an unhealthy choice, regardless of what is on the side. The bigger problem is that there is no substance to that meal. If I gave my 7 y.o. son a tiny burger and the 5 apple slices that come in the bag, he would be starving. So when we go, he usually gets the double cheeseburger and the fries too :-( We still go, but I explain to the kids that this is an unhealthy choice, and something that we only do once in a while.

I'm sorry, but it makes me mad that people think that chicken nuggets and commercial burgers should ever be considered healthy. I have had similar conversations with my son's school. He wants to buy his lunch, but I just cannot support him eating this type of junk every day. The school takes the stand that the meal is balanced because there is a protein (even if it is covered in fat), a veggie or fruit & some type of bread item.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I can understand that a parent wants to be an advocate of "healthy"eating to their children, but personally I think a 9 year old is too young to be blasting the CEO of McDonalds. Especially when she has to be coached by the mother... It's almost like the mother is allowing her daughter to learn at an early age how to bully people into believe that her ways are the BEST ways.

"Robertson’s mother Kia, 36, is an activist with the group Corporate Accountability International, and an avid food blogger who involves her daughter in a series of YouTube videos about healthy eating. She helped coach her daughter through the confrontation."

Personally, I agree, everything in moderation. Is McDonald's the healthiest choice around? Probably not, but they do try to make varieties of foods that are healthier. If you don't like it, don't want to eat it, then don't. No one is making you walk in the restaurant or the drive thru FORCING you to eat the food.

But there's a lot to be said about parent's responsibility in teaching the kids the importance of trying new foods. There are kids out there that only like to eat Chicken Nuggets, French Fries, Macaroni and Cheese because 1) it's an easy meal to make 2) kids are picky 3) or as parents we work and are trucking kids to a variety of locations and it's a quick fix on the go.

I'm fortunate that my kids love their fruits and veggies and trade off the french fries in favor of the apple slices when they do get the "treat" of going to McDonalds.

^^^ this^^^