Exclusionary clothing stores.

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What I'm wondering is if the OP is shopping in Junior stores and getting mad they won't fit?

Why are women shopping in juniors? Why not shop in regular women's clothing?

I don't know about you, but whenever i see the "women's" section in a store the clothes are either frumpy, or they start at size 20.
    I don't know when "women" started to = fat in the clothing industry.

I find way more decent fitting/looking stuff in juniors.

The OP is only 22!! I think that more than qualifies as a junior

But I'm not.
    I'm 47, and I still find more stuff in juniors that fits than I do in the women's sections of a store. :smile:

I was answering the lady who said "Why do women still shop in juniors"?

I was too but just grabbed your quote, LOL! sorry for the misunderstanding
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

*lol* Or they think we are all squares! I HATE shopping for clothes (even at Petite Sophisticate which just screams middle aged woman) because they all make me look shorter and wider.... as if I needed THAT to happen. Every once in a while I can luck out and find a fitted shirt (which flatters me the best because it "creates" a waist).

Yes! From another apparently square short girl. Look, we created a petite top. It's a box, with cap sleeves, win! WTF? Why do "normal" height women get shirts that recognize they have a shape? I'd rather wear a standard cut shirt even if all the curves are not quite in the right place.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

I went into The Limited. The saleswoman looked me up and down and said, you're, what, a 12 tall? (In their pants I was at that point). Then she told me, "you'll want to look over there." Pointing to the back corner. I was grateful she was able to tell what size I am and point me in the right direction.

What would be the point of looking for cloths if they won't fit? It's not helpful, and it's a waste of everyone's time. You were embarrassed by your size needs and interpreted her look the way you wanted to. I'd be willing to bet she really wasn't being rude or snarky - but actually trying to help and walked away because of your negative attitude.

You are entitled to your own opinion but this is very rudely worded. I am not embarrassed about being a plus sized- why should I be? Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. and I was not being negative to her at all. There's a big difference between helpful and rude.

Sorry you took it that way.
    Fact: you are plus sized
    Fact: You are trying to lose weight, hence being on this site
    Conclusion: You are unhappy with your size.

I'm not out to get you, just as the salesperson probably wasn't. Sometimes it's about your perspective. You were so offended by the idea of someone tell you how the sizes run? That is something that is posted on every online shopping site, and on many people are able to rate how cloths fit. Waste of your time, and super frustrating, if you grab your regular size and it doesn't fit so you have to ask for another. That can be even more embarrassing, for me at least.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I can't wear things from there or 5*7*9 or Abercrombie. Also Victoria's Secret doesn't make a bra size big enough for me cup wise.

But I rock at finding cute clothes elsewhere, so that's no big.

WAIT!?!?! 5-7-9 still exists?!?!?!

Victoria's Secret used to carry hardly any bras in m size cuz it's a "weird" size. They seem to carry more these days but I found I like Aerie's bras (and customer service) better. I still buy other stuff at Vic's though.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Really. I am so glad nomore us for Mr. Way too high priced. Cute but no longer even an option for me. Funny thing though. I got an advertisement from Them. I was so excited. I wad wondering out loud what j would buy. My husband reminded me I no lo ger shop there because there clothes don't fit me. I W's sac. But I know that's stupid. I'm not allowed in the plus size section anywhere. My family has forbidden me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

*lol* Or they think we are all squares! I HATE shopping for clothes (even at Petite Sophisticate which just screams middle aged woman) because they all make me look shorter and wider.... as if I needed THAT to happen. Every once in a while I can luck out and find a fitted shirt (which flatters me the best because it "creates" a waist).

Yes! From another apparently square short girl. Look, we created a petite top. It's a box, with cap sleeves, win! WTF? Why do "normal" height women get shirts that recognize they have a shape? I'd rather wear a standard cut shirt even if all the curves are not quite in the right place.

Or if its not capped sleeves, it's 80's "power sleeves" with massive padding.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Redacted.

Meh, you may choose to dissect it the way you wish. I wasn't being overly sensitive about the size, as previously stated, but that's all everyone will choose to focus on. Duke it out amongst yourselves, I'm out! :flowerforyou:
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I went into a boutique just to basically "window shop" (I was waiting for a friend who was shopping), I had no intention of buying anything. One of the workers noticed me admiring a dress and told me that the dress wouldn't fit me because the biggest size they carried was a size 4. I lost 40 pounds and I'm a size 6. I am at my smallest and I feel great, then to hear that, made me angry. I didn't care that they didn't carriy my size, but I thought it was rude for her to make a comment the way she did.

You thought it was rude that she could tell your size and told you something wouldn't fit before you wasted your time looking for your size?
    That was actually helpful - if you had been thinking about buying.

I think you kind of missed the point here (though I like your "its all in how you look at it" attitude :) ) She was not even thinking of trying it on she was just admiring the dress. She was already looking at it kind of longingly I think KWIM? If she had been searching for her size and then asked for assistance when she could not find it...the comment may have been appropriate. If she had attempted to try on the size four...maybe even then. But to seek her out to tell her she was clearly too big for the dress she was only admiring...kind of screams bad intent to me.

That being said...I do have brands that I love that I will just never fit. The cut of them are made for women that are just built up differently than I am. It doesn't bother me, there are enough brands and styles I love that do fit to feed my need for fashion. Same thing with the stores that carry those brands. No sweat off my back. Just don't be rude to me or anyone else I know. My best friend was once stopped in FRONT of a regular sized store and told "we don't sell plus sized clothes". She let the person know that she knew that...but was coming for earrings as she had been buying accessories there for years...then she turned around and left. She's lost 40 pounds and she's never gone back.

IDK I would have walked in and started trying on dresses left and right open your wallet in front of them flip threw the credit cards leave all the clothes on a heap in the dressing room floor and leave laughing your booty off.

Hahaha, I like this idea!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    IDK I would have walked in and started trying on dresses left and right open your wallet in front of them flip threw the credit cards leave all the clothes on a heap in the dressing room floor and leave laughing your booty off.

Hahaha, I like this idea!!

And you're complaining about other people being rude? Holy hypocrisy.
    Yes, I do realize you aren't saying you'll actually do it.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    And don't even get me started on those "kids" clothing stores.
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

I went into The Limited. The saleswoman looked me up and down and said, you're, what, a 12 tall? (In their pants I was at that point). Then she told me, "you'll want to look over there." Pointing to the back corner. I was grateful she was able to tell what size I am and point me in the right direction.

What would be the point of looking for cloths if they won't fit? It's not helpful, and it's a waste of everyone's time. You were embarrassed by your size needs and interpreted her look the way you wanted to. I'd be willing to bet she really wasn't being rude or snarky - but actually trying to help and walked away because of your negative attitude.

You are entitled to your own opinion but this is very rudely worded. I am not embarrassed about being a plus sized- why should I be? Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. and I was not being negative to her at all. There's a big difference between helpful and rude.

Sorry you took it that way.
    Fact: you are plus sized
    Fact: You are trying to lose weight, hence being on this site
    Conclusion: You are unhappy with your size.

I'm not out to get you, just as the salesperson probably wasn't. Sometimes it's about your perspective. You were so offended by the idea of someone tell you how the sizes run? That is something that is posted on every online shopping site, and on many people are able to rate how cloths fit. Waste of your time, and super frustrating, if you grab your regular size and it doesn't fit so you have to ask for another. That can be even more embarrassing, for me at least.

Well I always try on clothes when I go out to stores (unless its a shirt, and I can usually look at something and tell if it will fit). I can understand your point because there are many times I go into store clueless and want help from the employees. Notifying the customers about whether the sizes run big and small is not a crime- it's their job to do that, but to do it in a professional and polite way that doesn't come across as rude. It's all about the way she said it. It was about her tone and her attitude, and the way she glared at me as if I didn't belong in the store. Sure maybe she was having a bad day but professionalism is crucial. I wasn't alone when this happened, my friend was with me and she felt the same vibe too. I went into the Old Navy right beside the store afterwards and the girls there were very friendly and helpful. I ended up finding a bathing suit that looked good on me and even went down from my original size.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I wish that stores that sold exclusively plus size clothing actually paid attention to how fat women's bodies differ from thin ones. You can't take a shirt that's a size 10, make it wider, and call it a size 20. As a fat woman, I wish the stores that supposedly 'cater' to me actually did.

Amen sister. What I don't get is all these shirts that cut just under the boobs. I tried some on the other day and I looked 9 months pregnant!

I did come back to say though that thank you for all your suggestions on places to try. I actually found a place locally that cosigns plus sized clothes. I bought 3 shirts and 2 pairs of paints for $85! I could have gotten more but didn't want to spend any more than that. Do you know how long it has been that I have been clothes shopping and actually found more that I wanted to buy than money I had? Forever! I usually can't find anything. Today I am wearing my jungle shirt that I got n my proflie pic. Rawr! Everyone has been commenting at work how nice I look this week. I figured I am worth it. It is time to stop dressing like a slob because I am in between sizes and rock it!
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I went to Rue 21 fairly recently. The highest their tops go are XL and I can squeeze into them, thankfully.

I was looking for a bandeau once to go under an open-backed dress. One of the employees was there sorting them. I told her I just wanted a nice plain one and we went searching together, but I could neither find one like that nor one in my size. She made an offhand comment that they came 'kind of small anyway' when she looked me up and down. Kind of hurtful, but okay. I was embarrassed and defeated. Walked out empty handed.

One of my goals when I lose half the weight is to Pretty Woman the **** out of the store...or my version anyway. I love Rue 21 and I want to fit into the clothes!!!

Anyone ever have a similar experience at a clothing store?

Same clothing store... similar rude comment.. I was there shopping with my then 16-year-old who is a size 0.... She did not get that from me... Anyway, I was also there with my 8-year-old. My 16-year-old was trying on clothes and I was looking for some more things for her to try on. An employee came up to me and kind of snarled and asked if I was shopping for my daughter, the 8-year-old!! Seeing as they don't have kids clothes and the look on her face, my weight disgusted her and she was, in her own way, making sure I wasn't looking for something to fit me... I just politely told her my daughter was in the dressing room. I couldn't wait to get out of there...
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Different stores cater to different clientele. That's how they make their money. You don't see stores like Lane Bryant carrying my size and I'm not going to complain about that. That'd be like being pissed that a Mexican restaurant doesn't have Chinese food on their menu.

I don't think the point was they didn't carry her size... the point was being treated rudely. I don't care what clientele you cater to, if I don't find my size or I don't see something on the menu I want, I go somewhere else.. but I don't need employees rudely telling me to go somewhere else....
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I can't wear things from there or 5*7*9 or Abercrombie. Also Victoria's Secret doesn't make a bra size big enough for me cup wise.

But I rock at finding cute clothes elsewhere, so that's no big.

WAIT!?!?! 5-7-9 still exists?!?!?!

Victoria's Secret used to carry hardly any bras in m size cuz it's a "weird" size. They seem to carry more these days but I found I like Aerie's bras (and customer service) better. I still buy other stuff at Vic's though.

The sales girl in me wants to tell you that semi-annual sale starts on the 11th and that our bras are 25% off, and you can get an additional 15 dollars off if you sign up for an Angel card :flowerforyou:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Different stores cater to different clientele. That's how they make their money. You don't see stores like Lane Bryant carrying my size and I'm not going to complain about that. That'd be like being pissed that a Mexican restaurant doesn't have Chinese food on their menu.

+10:)
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

I don't think the point was they didn't carry her size... the point was being treated rudely. I don't care what clientele you cater to, if I don't find my size or I don't see something on the menu I want, I go somewhere else.. but I don't need employees rudely telling me to go somewhere else....

Rude people are everywhere...nice people are everywhere. It's up to us to decide which ones we allow to influence our day.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I went into a store that had plus size on one side and regular sizes on the other. The girl working there came up to me as I was browsing on the regular side and asked if I had been there before and told her I hadn't. She quickly pointed me to the plus-sized side. I was hugely offended, despite knowing I was teetering on the line between the sizes, and left. I think she should have left it up to me to decide what size clothing I wanted to try on.

Anyways, even being in much smaller sizes, I sometimes feel too old to shop at certain stores, lol. And since I have an hourglass shape, I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me anyways, so I just hate shopping in general. :(

ETA: I typically shop in juniors because the style is more what I'm after AND for some reason, most women's clothing doesn't fit me correctly, I wind up with bunched up extra fabric in weird places.
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. I didn't see the OP as complaining at all. She likes Rue 21 and wants to fit their clothes. So her goal is to lose weight and fit into their clothes. What's wrong with that lol? I'm sure she obviously does go other places (because...well..I certainly hope she wears clothes anyway lol), but I don't see anything wrong with her goal in wanting to fit into their clothes.

But I do see the other point in: The number and size of your clothes doesn't matter. It's important what makes you look and FEEL good.

But girl, if you got a goal, go head and achieve that goal!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant has beautiful dresses but they are all too big for me! :sad: :sad: :sad: boooooo!!! I'm so sad I can't shop there. :sad: :sad: :sad: