Exclusionary clothing stores.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

Their sizes run very small. Sorry you got such a stupid attitude though. I hate people like that how do they know you werent in there shopping for a present or looking at the earrings. Well I can believe Torrid will never get a dime from you guess they dont value your money.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,241 Member
    What I'm wondering is if the OP is shopping in Junior stores and getting mad they won't fit?

Why are women shopping in juniors? Why not shop in regular women's clothing?

Someone mentioned 5-7-9 - that's a junior store as well.. it's an odd number, it's a junior size. Women sizes are even numbers.

I don't get mad when I don't fit into junior sizes... I'M NOT A JUNIOR. I'm a full curved WOMAN.

All clothing manufacturers make clothes differently, that's why we all wear different sizes sometimes. There is a company I love and I know I can wear a small with them. Other companies, I'm a medium.
    I tend to shop in the "Misses" section, with even numbered sizes, but because I'm NOT curvy (genetics gave me a fairly straight up and down shape), junior sizes actually FIT me better. That being said, I'm very particular about what I will buy from the junior's section, as I'm 40 years old and not trying to look like I'm dressing like a teenager.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 728 Member
    'Squeeze' wasn't the right word. The tops fit...after I wash them. It loosens the fibers or something. They even hang a little loose, which is nice because I hate the feel of a tight tshirt showing off flab, lol. I am aware of what fits my body and I don't walk around with cringe-worthy tightness.

Rue 21 isn't a junior store to me. They have cute stuff. A lot of my own friends, older than me even, shop there. If I were shopping at Justice or something, yeah, berate away. :P

Oh, Internet.

Rue21 is a juniors store in my opinion....just check out their website...its obviously aimed at high schoolers. I'm not attacking you, I'm just suggesting maybe you try other options... I don't fit into juniors stuff either, the fit isnt right. And I am not overweight by a long shot so I dont think weight or size is playing a part here. It's just not flattering for grown women in my opinion.

I'm afraid I agree. Rue21 is a juniors store. Just because older people sometimes frequent the store doesn't make it not a juniors store (trust me, I have friends that sometimes frequent the store but they are aware that it's a juriors clothing and just don't like the asthetic of "adult" "womens" stores). Just like plenty of non-teens frequent Abercrombie. Still a teen store though... sorry!
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    I love Old Navy, they have the same cute styles in all sizes. Also their jeans come in different cuts so I can actually find a cute pair of jeans that fits on my waist and my butt!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    'Squeeze' wasn't the right word. The tops fit...after I wash them. It loosens the fibers or something. They even hang a little loose, which is nice because I hate the feel of a tight tshirt showing off flab, lol. I am aware of what fits my body and I don't walk around with cringe-worthy tightness.

Rue 21 isn't a junior store to me. They have cute stuff. A lot of my own friends, older than me even, shop there. If I were shopping at Justice or something, yeah, berate away. :P

Oh, Internet.

Rue21 is a juniors store in my opinion....just check out their website...its obviously aimed at high schoolers. I'm not attacking you, I'm just suggesting maybe you try other options... I don't fit into juniors stuff either, the fit isnt right. And I am not overweight by a long shot so I dont think weight or size is playing a part here. It's just not flattering for grown women in my opinion.

It's not the only store I shop at, promise.

I'm in college. I'm not trying to walk around in glitter and polka dots, but I'm not going to wear loafers and polos any time soon. We have a different definition of junior's/style, and that's cool. I'm gonna shop where I like and be happy. :heart:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    TIL when women go shopping it isnt that rare that they are horrible to each other.

Not horrible to other women, you know that. Quite generous actually.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,241 Member
    It's simple all you have to say is they dont get your money. Obviously they dont need money and money is not that important to the company.

I wish Lane Bryant had a smaller size sister company because I'd shop there at goal just on principal, but they dont. :cry: Not sure which company I would find worthy enough to have my money when I get to goal? I'll have to research.

I think The Limited is Lane Bryant's smaller sized sister company.
    Unless they bought it back, no they do not. See "2001" in the timeline:
    http://www.limitedbrands.com/newsroom/media_tools/timeline.aspx
    "2001

The Limited, Inc. announced the integration of Structure into Express as a dual gender brand for both men and women
    Limited Brands completed sale of Lane Bryant to Charming Shoppes"

Charming Shoppes is the parent company of Fashion Bug.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Most of the men's pants in Macy's start at size 32 waist. The sales assistant told me to go to the boy's section to find a size 30. I went to Dillards instead.

Even at Costco, I've noticed most of their clothes are a Medium or 32" and up.

Being so skinny sucks :wink:

My husband is a size 32 - 30 waist depending on the brand, and he's extra tall so he needs 34 in length.....Shopping for him is no picnic so I totally understand what you're saying lol.

As for myself:

I used to like to shop at a place called Cato, but most of their stuff now is either way too big or way too small...I can never find anything in there anymore :(

The girls at the counter are rather large, and usually make snide remarks and such, but I just ignore them.
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    This all went different ways!

As a person highly interested in marketing; there's no way that all of the stores could make all of the sizes "needed". For as much as I think Abercrombie "dude" is a ****, it is good practice to cater to certain markets. Actually, the fundamentals of business marketing is identifying your target market for your product. Junior stores sell junior clothing. For those who didnt like the Chinese and Mexican food reference - think of another store - The Children's Place? Carter's? Baby Gap? I doubt ANY of us are shopping there. I would hardly consider it "exclusionary" because they don't have my size (XL). It's a specialty store, NOT a department store. Therefore they only cater to children, just like Rue, Forever 21, Abercrombie, and so forth cater to HS and college age. Production costs would be through the roof if you made a larger range of sizes for everyone. The reasoning behind Abercrombie is a little off-color, but as for the others, there's plenty of selection, variety and sizes that cater to a larger mass of 15-25 year olds.

On another note: I'm super excited to shop at target in their junior section for dresses and such. Last time I bough anything it was an XXL top in maternity (I was pregnant but 11 mo after my second kid - I'm just now getting back to some sense of normal)!

I think the real issue is the girl who probably just needs more training in customer service. She shouldn't have offered up that the sizing was small unless you asked. She may have thought she was saving you time, too. Maybe she didnt realize. And it's only one person, not the company that said that to you (which also makes her ignorant to the fact that she's the immediate face of the company and should be smiles and helpful. And basically only ask the questions that are asked.) but I think you should maybe reevaluate the situation and maybe give it a second chance. If she really is rude to customers, then she probably won't be there for you to go all Julia Roberts pretty woman on her bum anyway!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,576 Member
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

Their sizes run very small. Sorry you got such a stupid attitude though. I hate people like that how do they know you werent in there shopping for a present or looking at the earrings. Well I can believe Torrid will never get a dime from you guess they dont value your money.

Would someone not have to buy something a size larger even for a friend or will they magically fit someone at their posted size? Also, a good salesperson would probably be able to tell that someone was not looking at the earrings when they approached a customer looking through the racks. Some people just seem to seek something to get offended by.....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

I'm also a 34DD (measured at Victoria Secret and elsewhere) and VS bras can't contain the girls for 30 seconds... why on earth do they think a big chested woman wants or needs a shelf bra with padding...

Yeah their bras suck. I buy a lot of clothes there though.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Don't get me started on the petite thing. Gah. I see so many women around my height who clearly wear a 14 or a 16, yet "petite " stops at 12 or even 10 in most stores. It's not that I have a problem with just shopping in stores that carry my size, it's that they are limited to JC Penney and.... JC Penney. Not the most exciting clothes, either. Also the makers of petite clothing sometimes don't believe that short girls have shoulders. I can get buy shopping for non-petites in dresses and shirts and @%%# capri pants, but I'm sick of them.

I once ordered a dress from LL Bean in a size 16 petite, and the costumer service guy kept repeating "I don't believe we have any in that large size, m'am." My husband and I still laugh about this whenever I go shopping.

I can't wait to be a size 12 again, when I will officially exist to most clothing manufacturers.
    Being a petite 5'2" (short arms, legs, & torso), 90% of all stores are exclusionary to me.

It's one reason why I'm starting to sew my own clothes. The other reason being I can't stand to wear polyester & other man-made fabrics. More and more the only clothes I can manage to find in a petite size are made of that dreaded man-made crap.

I am totally there with you... on all fronts (I am also 5'2")... I just want some cute flattering clothes... I need to make time to learn how to sew as well... It has been on my to do list for a few years now.

A lot of clothes I can't wear, because I don't have the waist for it... at all.
  • ldrosophila
    I just wish I could find clothing that fits that isn't expensive. Lane Bryant seems so expensive to me. So sad, I haven't shopped anywhere but Wal-mart in years because I can't afford the expensive plus size stores. Shoot, I can't even afford Wal-mart, so what am I complaining about again? Oh yeah, mean people suck. But I honestly think she was trying to make you feel better unless she said it in a snarky way.

Try old navy online. You know you can find some really nice clothes in a second hand store too. Also I bet there are some people on MFP who are getting rid of their clothing, and would probably be happy to send it to you. There's a clothing exchange group on MFP but its not very active :cry:

Thank you. I thought I heard Old Navy carries plus sized, but the last time I checked into it, I couldn't find my size. I don't remember what I size I was then, so maybe? I went to Goodwill this weekend. I didn't even have the energy to figure out how they had their racks set up. It smelled bad and seemed over-priced for really used stuff. I did get a pair of jean capri's at Ross though. I totally forgot about that. They are too tight in the calves though so I am going to cut them off and turn them into beach shorts. It didn't fix my problem of only having 2 pairs of pants that fit, but for $6, I really can't complain too much.

Old Navy online is where you'll find the plus. Yeah I know sometimes that initial smell at Good Will or another second hand can be overwhelming. But if you have the energy get into the racks and look. You can find some really cute things. Believe me I've always been second hand phobic, but especially when you are losing weight or the wallet is strapped it's a great option. this is what I do when I get them first thing I do is wash them and usually twice add some of your favorite perfume onto a dryer sheet so it gets other people smell out and smells like you. Then I'll usually let them just sort of air out for a day or two.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member

Oh, Internet.

Perhaps it doesn't say Junior in the name, but don't kid yourself, it is. Doesn't mean they don't have cute stuff, doesn't mean those who aren't junior can't shop there. But they cater to younger folk

Who is rue21?
    rue21 is the fashion destination for fresh, fun apparel and accessories for girls and guys.

What makes rue21 different?
    Hit the street in style with fashion at a great value. We know how important it is to look good and still have enough money left over to have fun! With a wide selection of the hottest trends at great prices, rue21 is the one-stop-shop to get the newest looks for less.

Where did rue21 get its name?
    “rue” comes from the French word for “street” while “21” embodies the age that everyone wants to be! Inspired by the spirit and style of one of the best times in life, our store is a favorite with almost anyone looking for fashion that is young, fresh and affordable.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    I'm an all-around in betweener...the clothes at regular department stores are usually too small, plus-size stores are usually too big, and I'm short with a huge rack, so unless I learn to make my own clothes I'm pretty screwed. It was worse finding maternity clothes that fit. And my biggest beef with "women's" clothes are the patterns, especially swimsuits. What's with all the damn hibiscus?!?

As far as rude clerks...rude people are everywhere, not just clothing stores. It's up to you how you choose to respond. But, for the record, I see far more customers being rude to clerks than clerks being rude to customers. And I don't think this clerk was being rude at all.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Sorry i beg to differ, It women see what their waist hip and inseam length are on a size it will be even worse, most women wear clothing that fits horribly because they can't face the face that they need a bigger size...Lets put a number that makes it SEEM visually like we are big and see how much more women degrade themselves because they are now a size 38 waist.... I don't see that being sucessful. A standardization would be great accross brands, but that is NOT the answer in my opinion.

That was my point.

Either clothes are standardized to some objective measurement so they're easier to purchase without trying, or, they're sized so people "feel good" (what I think you mean "it will be even worse") and then you can't rely on them.

You can't have it both at the same time.

We can dance this around all you want, but in the end, a piece of clothing has a physical objective size, and you do too. Any labeling system has to eventually translate into cold, hard, mean, numbers. It just depends how much buttering-up your ego needs.

Heck, most online stores that my wife shops at has a size chart, click. You look up the labelled size, and then it translates to hip, bust, underbust, and waist measurements in those dreaded objective numbers.
  • ldrosophila

Oh, Internet.

It's not the only store I shop at, promise.

I'm in college. I'm not trying to walk around in glitter and polka dots, but I'm not going to wear loafers and polos any time soon. We have a different definition of junior's/style, and that's cool. I'm gonna shop where I like and be happy. :heart:

Hey OP I support you. Just remember Rue21 will never ever again see a dime of your money. They dont value your money it's not important to them.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206

Oh, Internet.

Perhaps it doesn't say Junior in the name, but don't kid yourself, it is. Doesn't mean they don't have cute stuff, doesn't mean those who aren't junior can't shop there. But they cater to younger folk

Who is rue21?
    rue21 is the fashion destination for fresh, fun apparel and accessories for girls and guys.

What makes rue21 different?
    Hit the street in style with fashion at a great value. We know how important it is to look good and still have enough money left over to have fun! With a wide selection of the hottest trends at great prices, rue21 is the one-stop-shop to get the newest looks for less.

Where did rue21 get its name?
    “rue” comes from the French word for “street” while “21” embodies the age that everyone wants to be! Inspired by the spirit and style of one of the best times in life, our store is a favorite with almost anyone looking for fashion that is young, fresh and affordable.

I'm 22. Does the mission statement no longer apply to me because I aged 1 year older than the intended 'junior' market? :laugh:
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    It's simple all you have to say is they dont get your money. Obviously they dont need money and money is not that important to the company.

I wish Lane Bryant had a smaller size sister company because I'd shop there at goal just on principal, but they dont. :cry: Not sure which company I would find worthy enough to have my money when I get to goal? I'll have to research.

Lane Bryants sister store is Fashion Bug and they do carry regular sizes in addition to plus sizes. They're usually cheaper too which is why it ticked me off when Lane Bryant moved in and they closed down the Fashion Bug because they were too close to each other. :grumble:
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    I am fortunate not to have had the rude comments from staff because when i was larger (size uk 20-22) i didnt bother shopping TBH. I went into asda for my grocerie shopping every week and i would pick up a pair of jeans, pants a t-shirt maybe, bare minimum to tide me over. This was because it didn't really matter what i wore i felt like i wanted to hide away. I was always uber jel of the plus size models and larger ladies who rocked nice smart clothes and oozed confidence, but that was just not me.

So now i am a UK 8-10, i honestly thought clothes shopping would be fun as i could now walk into pretty much any store and find something nice and in fashion and it would fit and not feel like a beached whale in it. Oh boy was i wrong!!! When i shopped before i don't recall having a problem finding my size. Now it seems like finding a size 10 in an item i like is impossible!!! its all size 6 16 or 18 on the rails. Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANNOYING!

But anyways, for all who have had bad store experiences use them to your advantage. Put them to the front of your mind when you work out maybe, I bet it pushes you that little bit harder. I would love to imagine my own pretty woman moment!!!

Anyways, i should not be moaning, i am almost at goal and feel oodles better then i did, Its not my fault other people the same size as me share my taste!!

Good luck all xxx