Exclusionary clothing stores.

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Forever 21 is probably the best store out there (in my opinion). They go from 0 to like 28/30. I can shop there with all of my friends and nobody feels left out. I honestly wouldnt want to shop at a store that had such a *****y salesperson anyway, even if I could one day fit into the clothes.

Yep. They just need more locations. I like how they have started carrying their extended sizes in more of their stores though it's half of what they have available online.

Pretty much the # 1 place I shop. ****ty workers but awesome music and clothes.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, when I was considerably thinner, I walked into a little boutique. The shop assistant looked me up and down and said "There is no point coming in here - we don't cater for fat people".

I was mortified. In a burst of pure evil, I was ecstatic when they went bust a couple of months later...

That is terrible!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

Their sizes run very small. Sorry you got such a stupid attitude though. I hate people like that how do they know you werent in there shopping for a present or looking at the earrings. Well I can believe Torrid will never get a dime from you guess they dont value your money.

Would someone not have to buy something a size larger even for a friend or will they magically fit someone at their posted size? Also, a good salesperson would probably be able to tell that someone was not looking at the earrings when they approached a customer looking through the racks. Some people just seem to seek something to get offended by.....

Huh? have you ever shopped with a woman even if they arent buying anything they are shuffling the racks. She has every right to be offended by a snarky comment and rude customer service. What happened to, "Hi Welcome to Torrid, I'm Beck, let me know if you need any help and I'll be more than happy to assist you (big smile!)" *see this is why I kicked booty in sales. I'd let the manager know you arent happy though or send a corporate email. Her money her time.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    It's simple all you have to say is they dont get your money. Obviously they dont need money and money is not that important to the company.

I wish Lane Bryant had a smaller size sister company because I'd shop there at goal just on principal, but they dont. :cry: Not sure which company I would find worthy enough to have my money when I get to goal? I'll have to research.

Lane Bryants sister store is Fashion Bug and they do carry regular sizes in addition to plus sizes. They're usually cheaper too which is why it ticked me off when Lane Bryant moved in and they closed down the Fashion Bug because they were too close to each other. :grumble:

Didnt Fashion Bug shut down?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Forever 21 is probably the best store out there (in my opinion). They go from 0 to like 28/30. I can shop there with all of my friends and nobody feels left out. I honestly wouldnt want to shop at a store that had such a *****y salesperson anyway, even if I could one day fit into the clothes.

Yep. They just need more locations. I like how they have started carrying their extended sizes in more of their stores though it's half of what they have available online.

Pretty much the # 1 place I shop. ****ty workers but awesome music and clothes.

LOVE them, too! Though some things are a little out there for me. Still, totally agree.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on the petite thing. Gah. I see so many women around my height who clearly wear a 14 or a 16, yet "petite " stops at 12 or even 10 in most stores. It's not that I have a problem with just shopping in stores that carry my size, it's that they are limited to JC Penney and.... JC Penney. Not the most exciting clothes, either. Also the makers of petite clothing sometimes don't believe that short girls have shoulders. I can get buy shopping for non-petites in dresses and shirts and @%%# capri pants, but I'm sick of them.

I once ordered a dress from LL Bean in a size 16 petite, and the costumer service guy kept repeating "I don't believe we have any in that large size, m'am." My husband and I still laugh about this whenever I go shopping.

I can't wait to be a size 12 again, when I will officially exist to most clothing manufacturers.
    Being a petite 5'2" (short arms, legs, & torso), 90% of all stores are exclusionary to me.

It's one reason why I'm starting to sew my own clothes. The other reason being I can't stand to wear polyester & other man-made fabrics. More and more the only clothes I can manage to find in a petite size are made of that dreaded man-made crap.

I am totally there with you... on all fronts (I am also 5'2")... I just want some cute flattering clothes... I need to make time to learn how to sew as well... It has been on my to do list for a few years now.

A lot of clothes I can't wear, because I don't have the waist for it... at all.

*lol* Or they think we are all squares! I HATE shopping for clothes (even at Petite Sophisticate which just screams middle aged woman) because they all make me look shorter and wider.... as if I needed THAT to happen. Every once in a while I can luck out and find a fitted shirt (which flatters me the best because it "creates" a waist).
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    'Squeeze' wasn't the right word. The tops fit...after I wash them. It loosens the fibers or something. They even hang a little loose, which is nice because I hate the feel of a tight tshirt showing off flab, lol. I am aware of what fits my body and I don't walk around with cringe-worthy tightness.

Rue 21 isn't a junior store to me. They have cute stuff. A lot of my own friends, older than me even, shop there. If I were shopping at Justice or something, yeah, berate away. :P

Oh, Internet.

Rue21 is a juniors store in my opinion....just check out their website...its obviously aimed at high schoolers. I'm not attacking you, I'm just suggesting maybe you try other options... I don't fit into juniors stuff either, the fit isnt right. And I am not overweight by a long shot so I dont think weight or size is playing a part here. It's just not flattering for grown women in my opinion.

It's not the only store I shop at, promise.

I'm in college. I'm not trying to walk around in glitter and polka dots, but I'm not going to wear loafers and polos any time soon. We have a different definition of junior's/style, and that's cool. I'm gonna shop where I like and be happy. :heart:

I’m not much older than you (26) and I used to shop at the forever 21’s and Rue21s of the world until I found other stores like bebe, limited, the loft and Arden B and realized the clothes were sexy AND flattering. You would be amazed at what the right outfit will do for your figure and in turn for your confidence. :flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    It's simple all you have to say is they dont get your money. Obviously they dont need money and money is not that important to the company.

I wish Lane Bryant had a smaller size sister company because I'd shop there at goal just on principal, but they dont. :cry: Not sure which company I would find worthy enough to have my money when I get to goal? I'll have to research.

Lane Bryants sister store is Fashion Bug and they do carry regular sizes in addition to plus sizes. They're usually cheaper too which is why it ticked me off when Lane Bryant moved in and they closed down the Fashion Bug because they were too close to each other. :grumble:

Didnt Fashion Bug shut down?

that's what wikipedia says, that all the Fashion Bug's had been closed.
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

Their sizes run very small. Sorry you got such a stupid attitude though. I hate people like that how do they know you werent in there shopping for a present or looking at the earrings. Well I can believe Torrid will never get a dime from you guess they dont value your money.

Would someone not have to buy something a size larger even for a friend or will they magically fit someone at their posted size? Also, a good salesperson would probably be able to tell that someone was not looking at the earrings when they approached a customer looking through the racks. Some people just seem to seek something to get offended by.....

Huh? have you ever shopped with a woman even if they arent buying anything they are shuffling the racks. She has every right to be offended by a snarky comment and rude customer service. What happened to, "Hi Welcome to Torrid, I'm Beck, let me know if you need any help and I'll be more than happy to assist you (big smile!)" *see this is why I kicked booty in sales. I'd let the manager know you arent happy though or send a corporate email. Her money her time.

Yeah, I'm not sure that any woman seeks being offended.....if that's what you were trying to say. I didn't go to the bathing suit rack to be told that I can't wear their clothes unless I go up a size. I went because I wanted something to wear to the beach. In any case, she didn't even give me a chance to actually try on the swim suit. It's not like I was in the changing room and asked for her opinion. I was just standing there and the lady came up to me. In any case, the point I was trying to make is that there are rude workers everywhere. And if someone is rude, I will walk right out of the door or talk to a manager.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    This all went different ways!

As a person highly interested in marketing; there's no way that all of the stores could make all of the sizes "needed". For as much as I think Abercrombie "dude" is a ****, it is good practice to cater to certain markets. Actually, the fundamentals of business marketing is identifying your target market for your product. Junior stores sell junior clothing. For those who didnt like the Chinese and Mexican food reference - think of another store - The Children's Place? Carter's? Baby Gap? I doubt ANY of us are shopping there. I would hardly consider it "exclusionary" because they don't have my size (XL). It's a specialty store, NOT a department store. Therefore they only cater to children, just like Rue, Forever 21, Abercrombie, and so forth cater to HS and college age. Production costs would be through the roof if you made a larger range of sizes for everyone. The reasoning behind Abercrombie is a little off-color, but as for the others, there's plenty of selection, variety and sizes that cater to a larger mass of 15-25 year olds.

On another note: I'm super excited to shop at target in their junior section for dresses and such. Last time I bough anything it was an XXL top in maternity (I was pregnant but 11 mo after my second kid - I'm just now getting back to some sense of normal)!

I think the real issue is the girl who probably just needs more training in customer service. She shouldn't have offered up that the sizing was small unless you asked. She may have thought she was saving you time, too. Maybe she didnt realize. And it's only one person, not the company that said that to you (which also makes her ignorant to the fact that she's the immediate face of the company and should be smiles and helpful. And basically only ask the questions that are asked.) but I think you should maybe reevaluate the situation and maybe give it a second chance. If she really is rude to customers, then she probably won't be there for you to go all Julia Roberts pretty woman on her bum anyway!

I do, but then I have a toddler, so I am sure I'm not who you were referencing there... :wink:

edited, because I forgot to put a comment in.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on the petite thing. Gah. I see so many women around my height who clearly wear a 14 or a 16, yet "petite " stops at 12 or even 10 in most stores. It's not that I have a problem with just shopping in stores that carry my size, it's that they are limited to JC Penney and.... JC Penney. Not the most exciting clothes, either. Also the makers of petite clothing sometimes don't believe that short girls have shoulders. I can get buy shopping for non-petites in dresses and shirts and @%%# capri pants, but I'm sick of them.

I once ordered a dress from LL Bean in a size 16 petite, and the costumer service guy kept repeating "I don't believe we have any in that large size, m'am." My husband and I still laugh about this whenever I go shopping.

I can't wait to be a size 12 again, when I will officially exist to most clothing manufacturers.
    Being a petite 5'2" (short arms, legs, & torso), 90% of all stores are exclusionary to me.

It's one reason why I'm starting to sew my own clothes. The other reason being I can't stand to wear polyester & other man-made fabrics. More and more the only clothes I can manage to find in a petite size are made of that dreaded man-made crap.

I am totally there with you... on all fronts (I am also 5'2")... I just want some cute flattering clothes... I need to make time to learn how to sew as well... It has been on my to do list for a few years now.

*lol* Or they think we are all squares! I HATE shopping for clothes (even at Petite Sophisticate which just screams middle aged woman) because they all make me look shorter and wider.... as if I needed THAT to happen. Every once in a while I can luck out and find a fitted shirt (which flatters me the best because it "creates" a waist).

I've had pretty good luck with jcrew and banana republic. Abercrombie jeans and Levis jeans fit pretty well as well. Jcrew and banana republic can be kind of pricy so second hand may make it more within reach (plato's closet, ebay, or good will if your lucky). Between jcrew and banana republic, I'm pretty good on work cloths. And I do a job where professional wear is required.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Different stores cater to different clientele. That's how they make their money. You don't see stores like Lane Bryant carrying my size and I'm not going to complain about that. That'd be like being pissed that a Mexican restaurant doesn't have Chinese food on their menu.

Mmmm Mexinese
  • ldrosophila
    Options

We just all need to learn how to sew
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I've had pretty good luck with jcrew and banana republic. Abercrombie jeans and Levis jeans fit pretty well as well. Jcrew and banana republic can be kind of pricy so second hand may make it more within reach (plato's closet, ebay, or good will if your lucky). Between jcrew and banana republic, I'm pretty good on work cloths. And I do a job where professional wear is required.

I think I could deal with paying the prices of jcrew, banana republic and the like, if I was at my goal weight and knew I wasn't going to "outgrow" them again. I like their clothes and they seem to be of good quality.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I worked retail for many years and I don't get angry or upset when stores don't carry my size. It is what it is. I am not going to go into White House Black Market and look for a hot pink shirt either. It should be common sense.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I went to Rue 21 fairly recently. The highest their tops go are XL and I can squeeze into them, thankfully.

I was looking for a bandeau once to go under an open-backed dress. One of the employees was there sorting them. I told her I just wanted a nice plain one and we went searching together, but I could neither find one like that nor one in my size. She made an offhand comment that they came 'kind of small anyway' when she looked me up and down. Kind of hurtful, but okay. I was embarrassed and defeated. Walked out empty handed.

One of my goals when I lose half the weight is to Pretty Woman the **** out of the store...or my version anyway. I love Rue 21 and I want to fit into the clothes!!!

Anyone ever have a similar experience at a clothing store?

*Sigh*
    Not every store is designed to serve evryone.
    You say you have 60 pounds to lose, so you know you are overweight.
    I'm tall, so even when I was thin I couldn't wear cloths at a lot of stores.
    No use in getting offended over it.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I went into a boutique just to basically "window shop" (I was waiting for a friend who was shopping), I had no intention of buying anything. One of the workers noticed me admiring a dress and told me that the dress wouldn't fit me because the biggest size they carried was a size 4. I lost 40 pounds and I'm a size 6. I am at my smallest and I feel great, then to hear that, made me angry. I didn't care that they didn't carriy my size, but I thought it was rude for her to make a comment the way she did.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    "I think I could deal with paying the prices of jcrew, banana republic and the like, if I was at my goal weight and knew I wasn't going to "outgrow" them again. I like their clothes and they seem to be of good quality."

One of the reasons I wanted to get back at my pre-baby weight after the baby. I didn't want to buy all new professional wear! The hubby is hispanic and likes the extra curves and doesn't understand why I can't just buy bigger cloths. Bless his heart. I don't think he understand how EXPENSIVE replacing a women's wardrobe is! Lol!

Edit: And yes, I do recognize that it was overly general for me to say attribute his preference in part to his race.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I went into a boutique just to basically "window shop" (I was waiting for a friend who was shopping), I had no intention of buying anything. One of the workers noticed me admiring a dress and told me that the dress wouldn't fit me because the biggest size they carried was a size 4. I lost 40 pounds and I'm a size 6. I am at my smallest and I feel great, then to hear that, made me angry. I didn't care that they didn't carriy my size, but I thought it was rude for her to make a comment the way she did.

You thought it was rude that she could tell your size and told you something wouldn't fit before you wasted your time looking for your size?
    That was actually helpful - if you had been thinking about buying.