Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    To also add to the rules... for the love of god please stop driving in the parking lot for a close spot. You are there to get some physical situmlation... It is ok to walk across the parking lot. Those 10-15 min you spent looking for a parking spot could be spent in better ways.

LOLOL. That reminds me of last week. I didn't have time to go back home before work, so I opted for a protein shake from the gym as breakfast. I ordered my shake and went outside to drop my stuff in the car. The huge parking lot on the side of the gym was almost completely open. There's this one car driving slowly in the front. When she saw me, she drove over and waited for me to leave. I put my stuff in the car and went to back inside. I looked over to shake my head and mouth, "I'm not leaving yet." She gave me a disgusted look and started to drive off again. I motioned that the whole side lot was open. A couple of minutes later, I came back out, and she was still in the front of the gym. Okie dokie...
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    KixIce wrote: »
    I dont wipe my stuff down but i guess i can start

I don't wipe down every single thing like some of the people...spend half their time going back and forth to spray and paper towels...if I run on treadmill or see sweat on the bench or machine after my sets iI will wipe with disinfectant but other than that I don't go insane with it...also I'm not a germ freak but don't wanna lay in someone's sweat :s
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »

I don't wipe down every single thing like some of the people...spend half their time going back and forth to spray and paper towels...if I run on treadmill or see sweat on the bench or machine after my sets iI will wipe with disinfectant but other than that I don't go insane with it...also I'm not a germ freak but don't wanna lay in someone's sweat :s

MY Y has small cotton towels. I'll load up the towel with cleaner so it stays damp for 10-15 min. when I'm done, I can wipe it down w/o going back/forth. If I'm working in, I'll wipe it right when I get off so the next person can lay down on a clean bench etc.
  • chuck636
    Options

MY Y has small cotton towels. I'll load up the towel with cleaner so it stays damp for 10-15 min. when I'm done, I can wipe it down w/o going back/forth. If I'm working in, I'll wipe it right when I get off so the next person can lay down on a clean bench etc.

We get paper towels and a spray bottle : /
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Yeah, I sort of hate that. I guess you can fold up the paper towel so it could hold a decent amount of cleaner and not break down after one use.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I go get the sprayer- spray- take it back- get the paper towels- pack up my stuff- wipe it down and walk off.

Unless you're doing an all machine workout- you shouldn't have to do it that often.

I use the bench- and the leg press- that's it. Everything else is free or at the rack. So I really only ever spray down one or two things.

I also double up my stuff - so bench + fly + seated good mornings all happen on the bench- so I don't have to clean it 5 times. Just once. easy peasy.

I like the places that have sanitary wipes better- but spray bottle and paper towels are old fashioned- I grew up on that LOL
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    True. I mean, I get the idea of panic if it were predicted for...say...Georgia. Or anywhere where they don't get any sort of regular snow. But here in New England? No.

I'm in NJ.. seriously. 2 inchs- for the day.

Instant panic and mass stupidity.
    We got a storm warning over the weekend for 2-5 inches... I was like, that better be per hour. Otherwise whoever sent that out should be hanged.
    yeah my friend said that for DC they got a winter warning- he was like FFS.

Seriously- this is not new- unless we are talking FEET- at no point should a little snow be winter warnings.

And that's coming from someone who kind of hates snow. like. a lot.

Just shows how weak people are becoming.

If it's sub zero with 30 mph wind, and 3+ inches an hour, ok, get ready to hunker.
    6+ inches an hour, then if you aren't mountain folk, then yeah. Panic.

2" in a day? Turn in your adult card.
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So how is everyone's gym this year (so far) ?

Only went today but can't complain. There was some light snow where I live, so I think that might've been keeping people home. However, I went around lunchtime and had no issue getting a treadmill for my Couch to 5K training. (Didn't want to risk falling on a snow-covered sidewalk.) The ellipticals were full when I got there, but emptied over the course of my workout.

I'm planning on another run on Friday before a group fitness class in the late afternoon, so we'll see what it's like then. I usually go on off-peak hours because there's something about going to the gym when everybody else does that isn't appealing to me.

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Meh. This is why I have a ghetto garage gym. I do what I want!!! I even curl in my squat rack. Say somethin...
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I always ask myself if I could really get motived if I had my own gym. Props to those that do it
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Meh. This is why I have a ghetto garage gym. I do what I want!!! I even curl in my squat rack. Say somethin...

Somethin...........
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Every time I see a post complaining about grunting or dropping weights, it makes me glad I go to a gym that allows heavy weights. Grunting and dropping happens when you're pushing your limits, which a lot of us like to do when lifting.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Every time I see a post complaining about grunting or dropping weights, it makes me glad I go to a gym that allows heavy weights. Grunting and dropping happens when you're pushing your limits, which a lot of us like to do when lifting.

No complaints from me when it comes to grunting or a dropped weight in situations where you are pushing it. I do have a problem when people grunt and drop weights to attract attention. It is disrespectful and makes them look stupid.
  • chuck636
    Options

Lmao...I love this!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Wow those arms. Na you just keep doing your thing.

I think it's impressive you can workout at home. I know I wouldn't use a gym in my garage, I have to physically leave my house to concentrate. I had an elliptical coat rack in my living room, I only went near it to get my coat to go to the gym to use theirs. I finally gave it to my mother in law so I could have the space back. :/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Anyone in the gym is subject to my stares. Male, female, transitional. 18+ is a target.

good to know that you do not discriminate...
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Solid
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Wipe down cardio machines fater you use them, wipe down weights, take a shower before using the pool to swim, do water jogging, water aerobics.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

Wow those arms. Na you just keep doing your thing.

I think it's impressive you can workout at home. I know I wouldn't use a gym in my garage, I have to physically leave my house to concentrate. I had an elliptical coat rack in my living room, I only went near it to get my coat to go to the gym to use theirs. I finally gave it to my mother in law so I could have the space back. :/

Thanks.

I have 3 kids. I don't always have 2 hours to get everybody dressed, dropped off at a babysitter, drive to the gym, workout, drive to the babysitters and back home. With my ghetto garage gym I put the dishes away, make beds, and sort laundry between sets. I throw on some workout clothes and 45 minutes later I'm done, have an amazing pump and a clean house. Win!
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Somethin...........

Well aren't you cheeky. :)