Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Anyone in the gym is subject to my stares. Male, female, transitional. 18+ is a target.

good to know that you do not discriminate...

<joke about white people redacted>
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the gym is subject to my stares. Male, female, transitional. 18+ is a target.

And lol at the 18+. Don't you mean that they just need to appear 18+?
  • dbmata
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Hey, as long as it's not immoral is all I'm getting at.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Pffft. Morals are subjective.

• dbmata
    Options

Truth, that's why I can look at 15 and over in Georgia.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Truth, that's why I can look at 15 and over in Georgia.

Lmao! Go to West Virginia and you can open yourself up to the preteen group.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    chuck636 wrote: »
    KixIce wrote: »
    I dont wipe my stuff down but i guess i can start

I don't wipe down every single thing like some of the people...spend half their time going back and forth to spray and paper towels...if I run on treadmill or see sweat on the bench or machine after my sets iI will wipe with disinfectant but other than that I don't go insane with it...also I'm not a germ freak but don't wanna lay in someone's sweat :s

MY Y has small cotton towels. I'll load up the towel with cleaner so it stays damp for 10-15 min. when I'm done, I can wipe it down w/o going back/forth. If I'm working in, I'll wipe it right when I get off so the next person can lay down on a clean bench etc.

We get paper towels and a spray bottle : /

Yeah, I sort of hate that. I guess you can fold up the paper towel so it could hold a decent amount of cleaner and not break down after one use.

I'm not paying for each paper towel I use, I'll use a lot. I hate using the washcloths they put out. It's gross to touch it when it's all wet from someone else wiping off their sweaty equipment. Yuck, I'd rather use a huge wad of paper towels.

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    ( I know I know, some people see this as negative, but remember, it's really for the best. Three years ago I didn't know what I was doing, but I still didn't break these rules)

So....new years came early in the gym today. Alrighty, I'm super happy that several people are taking the steps to be healthy this year! Go you! That being said, here are some simple guidelines of gym etiquette that you should follow, lest the regular gym goers will want to drop kick you in the face.
    #1. The Squat rack is for squats. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. If you feel the need to use a full Olympic bar for your maximum, super awesome curls, there is a power rack right next to the squat rack. Or, you know, a curl bar...and dumbbells.....
    #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights. You were able to pick them up and put them on machine, you're certainly strong enough to put them back.
    #3.If you are unsure how to use a machine, GOOD NEWS, there's instructions right on the machine that show you exactly what muscles you're working out, and how to do it!
    #4. It's perfectly ok to ask if you can get a set in while someone is using a machine,(if you JUST CAN'T WAIT) we will usually say yes! But don't feel entitled enough to just jump on along side without asking...bro...it's rude.
    #5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Sure, a lot of us look big, scary, and angry. That's just our game face. Most of us (especially gym employees) are more than happy to spot you, and give you advice when asked politely.
    #6. Don't stand inches in front of the free weights/mirror and do your set. Please take a few steps back so we can reach what we need.
    #7. It's perfectly ok to admire your physique you've worked so hard for, and to see if you're hitting your muscle groups right. But don't blatenly check yourself out, and lift your shirt up to admire your abs. That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    #8. Don't get caught staring at boobs and *kitten*.......
    #9. Speaking of boobs, it's awesome that you want to share this experience with your significant other, but don't get too touchy when correcting her "form". Also, if it's obvious she/he REALLY doesn't want to be there, don't ask them to be. They could be texting at home instead of on that bench everyone is eye-ing.
    #10. Wipe down your damn bench. Nothing quite like seeing another persons *kitten*, and back print on the seat to get me pumped for a set.
    #11. Please, please leave the weights in the weight section. Don't run off them, making us all wonder if the gym has gremlins.
    #12. Please don't hoard the dumbbells. Often, you can only lift two dumbbells at a time. If you have made a nest of 8 dumbbells, even if you super set, it is SUPER annoying to the other gym goers.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year. Go kick some *kitten*.

Agree with all, although I would add my own pet peeve.

#13 (or whatever number we're up to given other people's suggestions). If you've come to the gym to use a treadmill to walk no faster, and with no more resistance than you would normally (and it's not for rehab purposes), just so you can check in on Facebook that you went to a gym, read your book, and pat yourself on the back because you went over 10,000 steps on your FitBit..........please just use that energy to walk back home, and stop looking perplexed because you can't reach your goals even though you "exercise every day". You're not doing yourself any favors, and you're occupying a machine when someone who really wants to work might actually use it for what it's intended for.

Sorry, I really had to speak my peace on this one. My employer had a nice size fitness center, and there were always the usual suspects guilty of this offense. It became annoying because others are trying to fit in a lunchtime workout, and there are some who are just looking for some form of emotional gratification. If you are rehabbing something, then this isn't aimed at you. On the other side, don't hop on the treadmill with no incline and at less than 2.5MPH, read your book, and then whine because you "are at the gym every day, but can't seem to lose the weight".............UGGGGHHHHHH.

I shall step down off my soap box now.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So how is everyone's gym this year (so far) ?

Saturday morning, there were a number of new faces, but I was able to get to the power cage and an open bench, so no problem. The new people, as expected - the availability of the cage and bench was rather surprising.

Monday morning, I noticed two people that I hadn't seen before.

This morning? Nothing but regulars. Of course, during the week, I'm there by 6AM. Not sure how it is after work, as it's typically a madhouse even in the middle of the year.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

It got surprisingly busy at about 5 or so this morning. I usually don't see a rush early in the morning.

If you are in NorthEast US it's probably because of the storm.

OMGHERD PANIC 2 WHOLE POTENTIAL INCHES.

seriously. the amount of stupid this morning trying to get to work was inconceivable.

Nope, not north east. Basically in the center of the northland. We got something like 3-4"...standard fare for this time of the year.

• RGv2
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    True. I mean, I get the idea of panic if it were predicted for...say...Georgia. Or anywhere where they don't get any sort of regular snow. But here in New England? No.

I'm in NJ.. seriously. 2 inchs- for the day.

Instant panic and mass stupidity.
    We got a storm warning over the weekend for 2-5 inches... I was like, that better be per hour. Otherwise whoever sent that out should be hanged.
    yeah my friend said that for DC they got a winter warning- he was like FFS.

Seriously- this is not new- unless we are talking FEET- at no point should a little snow be winter warnings.

And that's coming from someone who kind of hates snow. like. a lot.

Just shows how weak people are becoming.

If it's sub zero with 30 mph wind, and 3+ inches an hour, ok, get ready to hunker.
    6+ inches an hour, then if you aren't mountain folk, then yeah. Panic.

2" in a day? Turn in your adult card.

That's today. It's something like -15, but in the -40's or -50's with wind.

• dbmata
    Options
    True. I mean, I get the idea of panic if it were predicted for...say...Georgia. Or anywhere where they don't get any sort of regular snow. But here in New England? No.

We got a storm warning over the weekend for 2-5 inches... I was like, that better be per hour. Otherwise whoever sent that out should be hanged.

Seriously- this is not new- unless we are talking FEET- at no point should a little snow be winter warnings.

If it's sub zero with 30 mph wind, and 3+ inches an hour, ok, get ready to hunker.

That'll take the breath out of you. I love this time of the year, the weather just can't be beat.
  • RGv2
    Options

That'll take the breath out of you. I love this time of the year, the weather just can't be beat.

Yep, it's a really....really weird feeling when you get into the rink and it feels like a sauna because it's 40 some degrees colder outside.

To think I was leaving the rink in shorts and sandals like a month ago.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Saturday morning, there were a number of new faces, but I was able to get to the power cage and an open bench, so no problem. The new people, as expected - the availability of the cage and bench was rather surprising.

Monday morning, I noticed two people that I hadn't seen before.

This morning? Nothing but regulars. Of course, during the week, I'm there by 6AM. Not sure how it is after work, as it's typically a madhouse even in the middle of the year.

I go after dinner. Parking lot was more full but like you, the squat cage was open and I was able to load another bar to superset squats and OHP. I'd say the cardio section is taking the brunt of the newbies
  • dbmata
    Options
    yup, Good luck getting a machine in the cardio theater.
  • dbmata
    Options

Yep, it's a really....really weird feeling when you get into the rink and it feels like a sauna because it's 40 some degrees colder outside.

To think I was leaving the rink in shorts and sandals like a month ago.

lol, that would be weird. My last camping trip it hit -10 overnight, no new snow luckily, however it was so cold that those chemical handwarmers froze before warming up, so I had to crack my boots open to put them on. Nothing quite like frozen boots.
  • alexkeithwatson
    alexkeithwatson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hate the new year wave rammed for like 3 weeks >:(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I actually have a legit question as I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Who wipes down weights after they use them?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself if I could really get motived if I had my own gym. Props to those that do it

I very much prefer it. It is really convenient and allows much more flexibility (plus avoiding people). I can split my workouts during the day without having to go to the gym multiple times.

A lot probably has to do with how convenient it is getting to a good gym.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I actually have a legit question as I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Who wipes down weights after they use them?

I do after deadlifting, if I used chalk - just to get the chalk off the plates and barbell. Other than that, only if I got sweat on something.