Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    All of them. In their proper places. Including the clips.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have a vent. I circuit train so I really can't complain too much. But last night two newbie lifters were just randomly lifting on different things. They were deracking stuff left and right and leaving their weights racked when done. One guy would so some odd squat for 1 set. Do something different. Then literally 25 min later do back and do that squat again. all while leaving whatever he had racked there.

One guy deracked my 35s on my preacher. Well that's fine. I'm on a circuit. When he left to do whatever, I just added 25s on each side of the 10 and 5 he had on there and did a heavy set. Then I left it racked to see what he did. Of course he never came back. So after a while I just deracked all the weights and put them away. Frustrating

Not sure what is wrong in the second case, you left them on the bar, he left them on the bar, you left them on the bar again and had to rack them. Now you are back to where you started and your responsibility to re-rack the weights.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    But who racked them when they were done? Not him.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    When you say rack your weights do you mean plates or dumbbells or both? seems obvious to rack dumbbells but i see some people leave plates and some put them back...

Both.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, learn something new everyday. So if you come up to a bench it bothers you that the plates are already on?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, learn something new everyday. So if you come up to a bench it bothers you that the plates are already on?

It is bad gym etiquette to leave them on.

It means that the person next needs to put your stuff away.

It's sort of like flushing the loo after you - you flush it when you have finished - you do not expect the next person to do it before they go. [I just thought of that analogy..I am kind of happy with it..I may run with it].
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

usually I assume someone is using it- which is one of the reasons you strip the bar- so people know you're done.

If it's empty and no one has touched it- well- then you gotta strip it for them.
    which is obviously LAME.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I typically don't put the clips "away." I usually put them on an empty rail on the squat rack, on the handles of the power cage safety pins, or the "oh *kitten*" pins on the bench. That way, the next person has them readily available.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I typically don't put the clips "away." I usually put them on an empty rail on the squat rack, on the handles of the power cage safety pins, or the "oh *kitten*" pins on the bench. That way, the next person has them readily available.

Exactly. Thanks for being "that" guy in the gym. The guy that gives a crap.
  • j0reo
    j0reo Posts: 6
    Options
    AMEN!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

This is me too... I also clean up the whole area I am using. I hate clutter. I have seen mats, foam rollers, random dumbbells/kettlebells, plates etc. I just put everything back before I begin my workout and rerack when I am finished.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I won't sit there and clean up but if I see stuff lying around, I'll put away one thing at a time between sets. ie.. put away a matt or throw garbage away on the way to the water fountain.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    These all sound totally reasonable but this list and the long additions/ sniggers about some of us less experienced are why it's so intimidating to work in the weight room. I do get more comfortable every time ... just a reminder that some of those newbies may end up gym regulars along side you so please be patient. All that said, I have to adjust my lunch break from january through mid-february for all the newbies in my gym. Grr.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    These all sound totally reasonable but this list and the long additions/ sniggers about some of us less experienced are why it's so intimidating to work in the weight room. I do get more comfortable every time ... just a reminder that some of those newbies may end up gym regulars along side you so please be patient. All that said, I have to adjust my lunch break from january through mid-february for all the newbies in my gym. Grr.

tells others to not complain so much about newbies, and then complains about newbies in gym….interesting...
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Fair enough. I'm glad they're there ... just wish there were less of them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »

At least there is some reading for them to do before they go! When it comes down to it, I'm just having fun when I joke around about newbies. I'm happy for anyone who is trying. Hell, I'm still trying.
  • 4leighbee
    edited January 2015
    Options

At least there is some reading for them to do before they go! When it comes down to it, I'm just having fun when I joke around about newbies. I'm happy for anyone who is trying. Hell, I'm still trying. [/quote]

Right on! :)

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    Bench day. I was on one bench and other was all clear. This guy comes up while I got up from my set, deloads 50lbs off of it. I just SMH and just start loading the OTHER bench he was supposed to use. Did my set, deloaded everything and went on my way. I look over and this guy did one set and just left the bar loaded. Some woman used the bench for barbells so I waited to see if this guy that butted in would deload the bar. NOPE. I finally went over to the woman when she finished her one set and had to talk to her. I just told her I'm unloading the bar and don't worry. I deloaded HIS bar. The dude was nearby. I hope he got embarrassed that someone else had to put away his crap
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the newbies defecating all over the place. The big thing for me was when I went in to my last workout, and I had to track down plates that WERE LEFT AT CARDIO MACHINES DEEP IN THE CARDIO THEATER.

That was basically it for me. These new people come in for their few weeks, like a marauding horde of locusts, crap all over everything, and then go back to their couches to plant themselves for whatever new sport season is on.

Starting a new gym today, this is the gym where some of the powerlifting competitions are held, so it should be a different vibe completely.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Yeah at that point, the staff has to get involved. Someone or some people doing some Jillian Miachael BS is doing circuits on the machines and leaving them