1141516171820»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I don't want to be THAT Guy, but that Noob that is infringing on your workout, paid the same price to be there as you. As long as they don;'t do anything contrary to the agreement of their contract, they have as much right to be there as the serious lifter. Live with it or build your own Weight Room in your home. As I did. Take comfort in the fact that 80% of the people that joined in January will be gone within 2 months anyway, and you may have helped play a part in mentoring the other 20%.

You don't believe in common courtesy?

Also, many of these "rules or courtesies" are policies that I've seen in every gym I've ever been a member at, and every agreement I've ever signed indicated you are saying you will follow said policies. Just typ'n......you know, I don't want to be that guy.

I do believe in common courtesy AND I do agree with the original poster. All I am saying is this is a common problem at the beginning of every year as people make their New Year's Resolutions. Most of the people aggravating you, are not even aware of the lack of protocol. Most of these people will soon drop out. Those that are left will be making the same observations as they become veterans.

There are always going to be Noobs that are lost. We can help them, ignore them or bltch about them.

I think all we are asking is a little common sense...Like if you see someone pulling what looks like a lot of weight, give them a wide berth...I mean isn't that something that should just seem natural to do??? Am I wrong..???
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be THAT Guy, but that Noob that is infringing on your workout, paid the same price to be there as you. As long as they don;'t do anything contrary to the agreement of their contract, they have as much right to be there as the serious lifter. Live with it or build your own Weight Room in your home. As I did. Take comfort in the fact that 80% of the people that joined in January will be gone within 2 months anyway, and you may have helped play a part in mentoring the other 20%.

Also, many of these "rules or courtesies" are policies that I've seen in every gym I've ever been a member at, and every agreement I've ever signed indicated you are saying you will follow said policies. Just typ'n......you know, I don't want to be that guy.

I do believe in common courtesy AND I do agree with the original poster. All I am saying is this is a common problem at the beginning of every year as people make their New Year's Resolutions. Most of the people aggravating you, are not even aware of the lack of protocol. Most of these people will soon drop out. Those that are left will be making the same observations as they become veterans.

There are always going to be Noobs that are lost. We can help them, ignore them or bltch about them.

Which will you be doing considering you work out at home?

I chose to remove myself from the equation, but I invite others to workout all the time. You're only 180 miles from me, Jeff. I have a Weight Room, a Dojo, a Pool Room and a bar. If you ever come down to my neck of the woods, I would be happy to share space with you. Working out OR shooting pool.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

I chose to remove myself from the equation, but I invite others to workout all the time. You're only 180 miles from me, Jeff. I have a Weight Room, a Dojo, a Pool Room and a bar. If you ever come down to my neck of the woods, I would be happy to share space with you. Working out OR shooting pool.

Ok that was a honest answer. I think inviting others to your house to work out is a bit different than interacting with whomever is at the gym at the time. I don't think you'd invite some moron that throws weights around, leave the place a mess or interrupts your workouts by standing right in front of you etc.... Or if you did, I doubt he'd be invited back. Nor would you invite that guy back and spend the time trying to educate him?

But I'd love to check out your weight room. If I every have the space............
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That's a pretty nice offer.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

They shouldn't be unaware. Show me a gym that doesn't at least show new members the rules and where they are in the facility, let alone give them a copy of gym protocol you will have showed me the 1st one.

Saying that people who stick around will make the observations and figure it out may be giving people too much credit. I've complained to my facility multiple times. For the past 4 years, on a daily basis I need to un-rack multiple machines so individuals who can't get the weight off can use them. On a daily basis I need to kick dumbells out of my way in the morning because they're rolling all over the place.

I'm at the point now where I leave the gym as I found it. If I use a bench and there was 100lbs on there when I started, that same 100lbs will be there when I'm done. I'll put away the plates that I got out, but that's it. But since the ownership doesn't want to fix the issue, then whateve's
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    So far, I find the noobs aren't a problem. They see the posted signs and follow the rules.

It's a subset of the regulars that refuse to rack weights, take selfies (gym has a no photo, no video policy to protect patient privacy), 'forget' to step back from the dumbbell rack to do their exercise, etc. I'm just fortunate that my gym's weight section is almost never crowded so working around the few goofballs is rarely a problem.

I'm more annoyed that the gym is in the middle of doing a major remodel that it really doesn't need. Getting anywhere is like going around your hand to get to your thumb. And the smell of paint while I'm sucking wind does not make catching my breath any easier. Plus, changing while there's a crowd of workmen just on the other side of a draped and not fully opaque plastic sheet is definitely off-putting. But it will be over eventually.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

They shouldn't be unaware. Show me a gym that doesn't at least show new members the rules and where they are in the facility, let alone give them a copy of gym protocol you will have showed me the 1st one.

Saying that people who stick around will make the observations and figure it out may be giving people too much credit. I've complained to my facility multiple times. For the past 4 years, on a daily basis I need to un-rack multiple machines so individuals who can't get the weight off can use them. On a daily basis I need to kick dumbells out of my way in the morning because they're rolling all over the place.

I'm at the point now where I leave the gym as I found it. If I use a bench and there was 100lbs on there when I started, that same 100lbs will be there when I'm done. I'll put away the plates that I got out, but that's it. But since the ownership doesn't want to fix the issue, then whateve's

I get it. It's frustrating. I don't think you should give up on setting an example, though. I believe a person should do what they feel is correct 100% of the time. Regardless of what is going on around them. Lead by example. If 99% of the people carry on unaware, that still leaves the 1% that you helped.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    So far, I find the noobs aren't a problem. They see the posted signs and follow the rules.

It's a subset of the regulars that refuse to rack weights, take selfies (gym has a no photo, no video policy to protect patient privacy), 'forget' to step back from the dumbbell rack to do their exercise, etc. I'm just fortunate that my gym's weight section is almost never crowded so working around the few goofballs is rarely a problem.

I'm more annoyed that the gym is in the middle of doing a major remodel that it really doesn't need. Getting anywhere is like going around your hand to get to your thumb. And the smell of paint while I'm sucking wind does not make catching my breath any easier. Plus, changing while there's a crowd of workmen just on the other side of a draped and not fully opaque plastic sheet is definitely off-putting. But it will be over eventually.

There is one or two regulars that leave their weighs on when they are done. I'll have to remember to load the bench bar with 405lbs when they want to use it next. If they say something, I'll just let them know, "now you know it feels"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Whn I was checking out a new gym on sunday, I asked the person if it was gym rules to leave weights racked, or if the weights on the unused squat racks were because members and staff didn't clean up?

The gal was good, she took my question in stride.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Brofessor... makes me laugh each time.

Usually there is the issue of plates not put away. Or guys just leaving 6 45s on the bar cause you waited 10 minutes so wouldn't want to make you wait any longer for them to take some of that crap off. *grumbles* However, last time I went to try rows, I found the opposite problem. Gym has signs posted in different spots and most say to put stuff away but one area says do not take the weights from that area. Someone had put them all away. There is even a specific set that has an obvious difference in appearance from the rest for that set location. It was kinda weird having to search for the 25's and 10's that were normally always there, 45's are easy cause it's near the leg press and there are always many of those around.
  • beckibelgium
    beckibelgium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ( I know I know, some people see this as negative, but remember, it's really for the best. Three years ago I didn't know what I was doing, but I still didn't break these rules)
    Haha
    So....new years came early in the gym today. Alrighty, I'm super happy that several people are taking the steps to be healthy this year! Go you! That being said, here are some simple guidelines of gym etiquette that you should follow, lest the regular gym goers will want to drop kick you in the face.
    #1. The Squat rack is for squats. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. If you feel the need to use a full Olympic bar for your maximum, super awesome curls, there is a power rack right next to the squat rack. Or, you know, a curl bar...and dumbbells.....
    #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights. You were able to pick them up and put them on machine, you're certainly strong enough to put them back.
    #3.If you are unsure how to use a machine, GOOD NEWS, there's instructions right on the machine that show you exactly what muscles you're working out, and how to do it!
    #4. It's perfectly ok to ask if you can get a set in while someone is using a machine,(if you JUST CAN'T WAIT) we will usually say yes! But don't feel entitled enough to just jump on along side without asking...bro...it's rude.
    #5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Sure, a lot of us look big, scary, and angry. That's just our game face. Most of us (especially gym employees) are more than happy to spot you, and give you advice when asked politely.
    #6. Don't stand inches in front of the free weights/mirror and do your set. Please take a few steps back so we can reach what we need.
    #7. It's perfectly ok to admire your physique you've worked so hard for, and to see if you're hitting your muscle groups right. But don't blatenly check yourself out, and lift your shirt up to admire your abs. That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    #8. Don't get caught staring at boobs and *kitten*.......
    #9. Speaking of boobs, it's awesome that you want to share this experience with your significant other, but don't get too touchy when correcting her "form". Also, if it's obvious she/he REALLY doesn't want to be there, don't ask them to be. They could be texting at home instead of on that bench everyone is eye-ing.
    #10. Wipe down your damn bench. Nothing quite like seeing another persons *kitten*, and back print on the seat to get me pumped for a set.
    #11. Please, please leave the weights in the weight section. Don't run off them, making us all wonder if the gym has gremlins.
    #12. Please don't hoard the dumbbells. Often, you can only lift two dumbbells at a time. If you have made a nest of 8 dumbbells, even if you super set, it is SUPER annoying to the other gym goers.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year. Go kick some *kitten*.

Haha I used to work at a gym we wrote our own rules similar to this and stuck all around our free weights area, we got fed up and removed all the dumb bells in the end until they got the message, and people would steal 1,like why?
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found some articles that reminded me of this thread. They may be a fun read (or view for the fitness one).

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-jerks-you-meet-in-every-gym/

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/tips/advice/gym-etiquette/

Personally, I agree with #3 on the Cracked article. Don't need to see all the boys twigs and berries.

Anyway, thought they might be good for a laugh. :)