Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    [quote="ndj1979;30846383
    That's when I let out my 1 RM scream' SPARTA!

that only works if you're doing something significant- it loses a lot of impact when you're only doing T rows- even with a lot of weight- it's still not the same LMAO

It's for the guy on the other end of the telephone. lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yeah it still doesn't have the same impact LMAO- people then just look at you funny. (not like that's ever stopped me- but just saying) it looses it's punchiness.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Probably upset over the fact that I will cause harm to someone as a punitive action for them attempting to harm me.

Dude, I do 135lb muscle/power cleans for reps. That's literally throwing weight around. You'd be amazed on how close people choose to be while I do these. I have to tap people on the shoulder and say "if you don't want to be knocked the eff out, slide to the side please"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Probably upset over the fact that I will cause harm to someone as a punitive action for them attempting to harm me.

Dude, I do 135lb muscle/power cleans for reps. That's literally throwing weight around. You'd be amazed on how close people choose to be while I do these. I have to tap people on the shoulder and say "if you don't want to be knocked the eff out, slide to the side please"

LOL ..

I can remember once doing DB lateral raises and I could see this guy walking towards me and I was thinking "is this idiot going to walk right by me while I am doing these" and sure enough he started to right as I was raising them up and thankfully he noticed and slipped off to the side, or else he would of gotten a 40 pound dumbbell to the face...

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

New gym has bumper plates, I'm doing those starting tomorrow. I think sometimes though, you just gotta let someone learn from doing something stupid.

First time I shot an AR I came away with a bloody nose thanks to the charging handle. Quick lesson, I'm not shooting it that way again.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    One thing I do try to do. When someone is squatting, deadlifting or something in front of the mirror, I think sometimes they don't want anyone walking in front of them so they can see themselves or not to have any distractions. So if my stuff is in front of them, I'll let them finish their set up before getting under mine.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    My gym isn't crowded at all this year. A Planet Fitness DID open up in October, though, so I figure they are pretty crowded. Same ol' meatheads in the weight room. I'm a lucky girl.

so anyone in the weight room is a meathead?

nope, just the ones that are in the weight room when I'm in there. Oh, and the one crossfitter. Way to take what I said and generalize it-heh

• ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My gym isn't crowded at all this year. A Planet Fitness DID open up in October, though, so I figure they are pretty crowded. Same ol' meatheads in the weight room. I'm a lucky girl.

nope, just the ones that are in the weight room when I'm in there. Oh, and the one crossfitter. Way to take what I said and generalize it-heh

like I said, I always question blanket statements with zero clarification attached to them..

thank you for clarifying.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    One thing I do try to do. When someone is squatting, deadlifting or something in front of the mirror, I think sometimes they don't want anyone walking in front of them so they can see themselves or not to have any distractions. So if my stuff is in front of them, I'll let them finish their set up before getting under mine.

which is correct- and polite.

i had a guy get - or put a weight back on the tree between the squat racks one time- he actually hit my bar when I was squatting.

needless to say we weren't friends- and I was super pissed and I think he didn't understand why I didn't like his annoying *kitten*.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

like I said, I always question blanket statements with zero clarification attached to them..

Oh, you said that? huh...sorry about that. I did attach that I was a lucky girl, so, I guess take "meathead" how you'd like?

• ndj1979
    Options

i had a guy get - or put a weight back on the tree between the squat racks one time- he actually hit my bar when I was squatting.

needless to say we weren't friends- and I was super pissed and I think he didn't understand why I didn't like his annoying *kitten*.

I hate when I am squatting and people are screwing around in my peripheral vision..it always screws me up ...
  • JoRocka
    Options

I hate when I am squatting and people are screwing around in my peripheral vision..it always screws me up ...

seriously- I don't understand why it's so hard to not bother people mid lift.
  • ndj1979
    Options

for realz..If I need a weight off the squat rack I at least wait until they are done with that set until getting it ...

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I have a semi-related question.

Today I needed to use the 45-degree hyperextension machine. There was a guy in front of it doing kettlebell swings (not sure if that is the right term for the movement.) There was technically enough room for me to use the machine with probably 2 ft of clearance but I was a bit hesitant to do it. I paused there as he finished his set and then he offered to move over (there was probably 30 ft of unused mirror space so plenty of room for him to move.) If he hadn't offered to move, would it be rude to ask him if he would mind moving down a few feet?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Well I wouldn't want a kettlebell swinging in front of my face. I think it might be a safety issue as well as a courtesy. He did the right thing to move.
  • JoRocka
    Options

for realz..If I need a weight off the squat rack I at least wait until they are done with that set until getting it ...

yuuuppppppp- give a wide berth- and even if someone is prepping for a DL- I walk way around. You don't know what they need or what will distract them- it's not that hard to put a machine between you two to give them space.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Depends on how you ask it.

"Hey, wannabe Pavel, move the eff down brah." - rude.
    "Mind if I use this? Will you have enough room?" - Fine enough.
    "Can I spot you during your rest sets?" - Effective if not creepy.
  • dbmata
    Options

Not to mention that they can really hurt someone by doing that.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I don't want to be THAT Guy, but that Noob that is infringing on your workout, paid the same price to be there as you. As long as they don;'t do anything contrary to the agreement of their contract, they have as much right to be there as the serious lifter. Live with it or build your own Weight Room in your home. As I did. Take comfort in the fact that 80% of the people that joined in January will be gone within 2 months anyway, and you may have helped play a part in mentoring the other 20%.

You don't believe in common courtesy?

Also, many of these "rules or courtesies" are policies that I've seen in every gym I've ever been a member at, and every agreement I've ever signed indicated you are saying you will follow said policies. Just typ'n......you know, I don't want to be that guy.

I do believe in common courtesy AND I do agree with the original poster. All I am saying is this is a common problem at the beginning of every year as people make their New Year's Resolutions. Most of the people aggravating you, are not even aware of the lack of protocol. Most of these people will soon drop out. Those that are left will be making the same observations as they become veterans.

There are always going to be Noobs that are lost. We can help them, ignore them or bltch about them.

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I don't want to be THAT Guy, but that Noob that is infringing on your workout, paid the same price to be there as you. As long as they don;'t do anything contrary to the agreement of their contract, they have as much right to be there as the serious lifter. Live with it or build your own Weight Room in your home. As I did. Take comfort in the fact that 80% of the people that joined in January will be gone within 2 months anyway, and you may have helped play a part in mentoring the other 20%.

You don't believe in common courtesy?

Also, many of these "rules or courtesies" are policies that I've seen in every gym I've ever been a member at, and every agreement I've ever signed indicated you are saying you will follow said policies. Just typ'n......you know, I don't want to be that guy.

I do believe in common courtesy AND I do agree with the original poster. All I am saying is this is a common problem at the beginning of every year as people make their New Year's Resolutions. Most of the people aggravating you, are not even aware of the lack of protocol. Most of these people will soon drop out. Those that are left will be making the same observations as they become veterans.

There are always going to be Noobs that are lost. We can help them, ignore them or bltch about them.

Which will you be doing considering you work out at home?