Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be THAT Guy, but that Noob that is infringing on your workout, paid the same price to be there as you. As long as they don;'t do anything contrary to the agreement of their contract, they have as much right to be there as the serious lifter. Live with it or build your own Weight Room in your home. As I did. Take comfort in the fact that 80% of the people that joined in January will be gone within 2 months anyway, and you may have helped play a part in mentoring the other 20%.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I don't want to be THAT Guy, but that Noob that is infringing on your workout, paid the same price to be there as you. As long as they don;'t do anything contrary to the agreement of their contract, they have as much right to be there as the serious lifter. Live with it or build your own Weight Room in your home. As I did. Take comfort in the fact that 80% of the people that joined in January will be gone within 2 months anyway, and you may have helped play a part in mentoring the other 20%.

Within limits, you can do whatever you want so long as it doesn't start infringing on other members. When you set out to take a couple stations and somehow think you have dibs on all of them is where it gets ridiculous.

I had a New Year's Resolutioner get in my face because I apparently "took" his bench. I literally did three sets of rows and kept my eye on this bench. Not once did anybody come near it during that entire time. I wasn't exactly powering through my workout so it had to have been close to ten minutes. When i finished my rows, i walked over and started de-loading the weights. Dude comes running over and starts yelling at me because how dare i take a bench if there were already weights loaded on it. As if no one has ever walked away from a bench without first deloading it.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As if no one has ever walked away from a bench without first deloading it.

right- like it NEVER happens.

LMAO- I was sitting on the rails of the power cage resting- playing on ze phone. Guy in the squat rack (who I'd been psuedo watching) grabbed his sweatshirt and walked off- and as he walked past me I looked up and I was like- hey are you doing with that?

"yeah man- it's all you."

"Oh No- I'm good- just saying- you left your weights on there that's all. "

no idea if he was new- but come the fu*k on- it was like 95 pounds MAYBE.... just TAKE THEM OFF. (Also- why would I need your squat rack when I have the power cage with two hundred pounds already loaded up???!?!?)

Yeah- I was that guy- called his *kitten* right on out.

anyway
    I came in here to share this LOL
    How to Declare War on New Years Resolutioners: http://youtu.be/VVt_wzsVgQk

love me some brofessor
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You don't believe in common courtesy?

Also, many of these "rules or courtesies" are policies that I've seen in every gym I've ever been a member at, and every agreement I've ever signed indicated you are saying you will follow said policies. Just typ'n......you know, I don't want to be that guy.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My gym isn't crowded at all this year. A Planet Fitness DID open up in October, though, so I figure they are pretty crowded. Same ol' meatheads in the weight room. I'm a lucky girl.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Funny - yesterday this guy was talking on his phone and standing by a bench ..so I walked up and was like "you using that" and he started to say "yes" and must of seen the look on my face and said "no, its cool I need to take this" ..
    -
    I mean really bro, you are going talk on your phone and try to hog a freaking bench at the same time....he is not even a noob either...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    My gym isn't crowded at all this year. A Planet Fitness DID open up in October, though, so I figure they are pretty crowded. Same ol' meatheads in the weight room. I'm a lucky girl.

so anyone in the weight room is a meathead?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Looking at her profile, I think she meant it as a compliment?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Fully willing to help 1-2, but my membership fees don't include me mentoring anyone or doing clean up duty for the newbies
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Funny - yesterday this guy was talking on his phone and standing by a bench ..so I walked up and was like "you using that" and he started to say "yes" and must of seen the look on my face and said "no, its cool I need to take this" ..
    -
    I mean really bro, you are going talk on your phone and try to hog a freaking bench at the same time....he is not even a noob either...

that's a hard one- I've taken calls between sets but I make it a point so say I'm at the gym- what do you need. And I don't talk much- it's got to be a call for a reason not just a 'to chat' call.

I had a guy at LA Fit- having like an out and out buisness call at the squat rack- but he wasn't really 'working'... meaning he was just like wandering around the rack talking super loud.

So annoying. If you can't handle it quickly- go somewhere else- no one wants to hear your phone calls.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Looking at her profile, I think she meant it as a compliment?

I did not look at her profile....

I always question blanket statements...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    -

that's a hard one- I've taken calls between sets but I make it a point so say I'm at the gym- what do you need. And I don't talk much- it's got to be a call for a reason not just a 'to chat' call.

I had a guy at LA Fit- having like an out and out buisness call at the squat rack- but he wasn't really 'working'... meaning he was just like wandering around the rack talking super loud.

So annoying. If you can't handle it quickly- go somewhere else- no one wants to hear your phone calls.

well I agree..

However, he had not even STARTED using said bench yet...he was just standing next to it talking away on this phone...

I could understand if he was in between sets and a work call comes in ...I have had that happen to me on occasion...
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    dlvuyovich wrote: »
    I was told once to "be careful to not put too much weight on it because you might get sore and won't be able to brush your pretty hair".

automatic punch to the face???

Close to it. I have been lifting since I was a teenager (I'm 40). Told him I was no stranger to heavy lifting. It got worse with this @ss, when he found out I was competing, he took it upon himself to constantly 'coach' me, even though I told him time and again I have a coach/nutritionalist & posing coach. He finally got the hint when gave him the same answer "you are a f*cking idiot" after a series of stupid questions/comments/suggestions. He eventually got himself kicked out after harrassing other women. Thank you management.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

So what. I don't care how new, or cool someone's beard is. Step over my bar while I'm in the middle of a deadlift, if I can, I'm shrugging that thing into your wedding tackle. Then I'm laughing at you.
  • dbmata
    Options

Fully willing to help 1-2, but my membership fees don't include me mentoring anyone or doing clean up duty for the newbies

Nicer man than I. I help those who pay my hourly.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol, some flag queen already flagged me.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    -

That's when I let out my 1 RM scream' SPARTA!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    lol, some flag queen already flagged me.

LOL. I'm not sure how someone with a home gym can really advise those that go to gym and work out with others.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    -

well I agree..

However, he had not even STARTED using said bench yet...he was just standing next to it talking away on this phone...

I could understand if he was in between sets and a work call comes in ...I have had that happen to me on occasion...

yeah... that's annoying... it's one thing to kind of claim a bench and not use it RIGHT away (I claim a rack AFTER I jump rope- do a warm up set- then do a whole hip opening yoga series IN the rakc- takes me 2-3 min- I'm sure it pisses some one off if they aren't to busy staring at my *kitten*- sometimes it has to be done- but no- you can't hover on a bench while you're on the phone and call MINE! no bueno.
    Close to it. I have been lifting since I was a teenager (I'm 40). Told him I was no stranger to heavy lifting. It got worse with this @ss, when he found out I was competing, he took it upon himself to constantly 'coach' me, even though I told him time and again I have a coach/nutritionist & posing coach. He finally got the hint when gave him the same answer "you are a f*cking idiot" after a series of stupid questions/comments/suggestions. He eventually got himself kicked out after harassing other women. Thank you management.
    what an a$$clown
    That's when I let out my 1 RM scream' SPARTA!

that only works if you're doing something significant- it loses a lot of impact when you're only doing T rows- even with a lot of weight- it's still not the same LMAO
  • dbmata
    Options
    Probably upset over the fact that I will cause harm to someone as a punitive action for them attempting to harm me.