WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello again my friend! Did you hear the music with that????
    k2boxlady I haven't lost any weight since like last September!!! I would like to say I am still trying but it does get hard once I stopped. Those carbohydrate devils get to me all the time. Now my husband is on this triple chocolate pop tart thing that he thinks he just has to have. He eat's them for breakast :\
    Heather my hair dresser that I have been going to for about 20 years used to rent space and she hated it that she had to listen to the music that management said would be played. Or even worse, everyone bringing their own player. So when they remodeled their home she told her husband that she WOULD have her own shop. It takes me about 15 minutes to drive there instead of a quick 5 but it is highway minutes all the way and both of us love the music, no smoking, no cursing. It's like paying only $18 to got o the psychiatrist!

I am really having trouble staying strict with the diet. Those pop tarts sing to me all the time. One of Michelle's good friends gave her a $50 gift card to a local pizza haunt. Since DH likes doing whatever he can to help our girls out anyway he can and she really doesn't like pizza that well, we are going there tomorrow night :o I give myself permission to eat a 6 inch cheese with veggie pizza once about every 2 weeks. We had one last night. They do have kids meals and salads but I am getting really tired of salads and I know how wonderful the strombolis are (from past experience)

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I love the cinnamon pop tart! I can't remember the last time I had one! I also have to give myself permission to indulge or I wouldn't be successful.

Mary from Minnesota

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry, still not caught up with all the posts, just skimmed a few pages 34 - 36, but here we are on page 40 :o:o

I think our old cat Wiz can smell the chicken I am cooking, he keeps coming up to me meowing as if to say come on I want my chicken. As he's an old man now and not in good health, I buy him frozen chicken breasts and give it to him as a treat. We more or less let him get away with anything because of his age.

Sorry to hear that people are struggling with things like broken down vehicles and money troubles, health worries etc. Money worries are especially hard to deal with - as for the vehicle breakdown, could you claim on the insurance?

Poor cat I can't leave him any longer he's desperate for his chicken lol so I'll go now and try and catch up later.

Viv <3
    York UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning dear friends~
    snowing to beat the band here, and it is the heavy wet stuff, I am supposed to work at 7:30 we shall see if we have alot of people call out. DH says he will drive me to work..
    going to have him pick up a couple of small grinder rolls and will make meatball grinders for us tonight,, I know the carbs, will be bad, but I very rarely do bread anymore.
    I will be out shoveling when I get home so at least that is some exercise.. I have been a lump on a log lately.. I am so proud of all of you getting up and doing all that, I know I will get back into the swing eventually
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone and a special hug for Meg. {hug}
    Ice on the ground here; luckily it's melting fast.
    We had Indian again last night, yumyum, but I'll be drinking lots of water today.
    Hope we all have a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :flowerforyou:

A beautiful, sunny morning here. First morning without heavy frost for a while. I did think about walking this morning instead of doing my machines etc, but it the route we use doesn't burn as many calories.
    DH has gone off to football. I have a German film to watch. I did try to learn German a couple of years ago, but didn't get too far with it. It was enough for our break in Dusseldorf though. :bigsmile: I even learnt the German for "Please can I print out my boarding cards." I have a Sinhala phrase book for our holiday and will commit a few phrases to memory as I like to be able to oil the wheels of communication. I feel it's only polite. Most people speak some English though as it was part of the Empire. One of the towns we are going to is an old Victorian hill station, with old post office, church etc.
    Tomorrow is Burns' Night. I remember trying to explain the joys of haggis last year, when we had a special dinner with all the traditional rituals. This year it is just us, but I have bought a MacSweens haggis. We will still stab the haggis and read the poem! ! ! :laugh: (if you don't know what I am talking about, google it)

Terri - glad things seem to be improving! :flowerforyou: I have the tiniest inkling of a sore throat so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Meg - good wishes for you and your family. :flowerforyou:
    The music phobia wasn't dependent on the type of music, or even the volume. It just brought me out in a panic attack. I felt as if I was being attacked and things were about to overwhelm me. Barking dogs had the same effect, even one bark in the distance. It's like some people feel about spiders, the merest hint of something that I hadn't allowed into my consciousness just paralysed me and brought me out in a cold swest. Difficult to explain to those who love you as it is not rational. I still prefer silence and don't enjoy background music, but it doesn't cause a phobic reaction any more. This was a surprise side effect of losing weight! :bigsmile:
    Having said all that I love recorded music that I have chosen myself and i have never had that reaction to live music or performance. I do have a dislike of the low quality music that people seem to fill up their consciousness with as if they are afraid of silence. So sad. I can be very judgemental about this and wish public places were more discriminating and realised that some people value silence above everything. I am not alone as there are many campaigns on the internet about this. I still take ear plugs everywhere and can get very cross with mindless music, but I am no longer phobic.

I'm going to try my home made sauerkraut today for lunch. Just a tiny bit with an avocado and some raw veg.

Love Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Cold and rainy here for the last two days. I can take cold when it is sunny but the damp cold gets to me.

Trying to decide if I am going with DH to an estate sale. It's in another county and he likes to get there an hour ahead of time so don't know if I want to sit in the car that long. I collect/sell vintage costume jewelry and he doesn't think there will be any there.

Heather, I looked up the Haggis recipe for the Burn's dinner. It must be an acquired taste. I too am interested to see if you like your sketchers. I hate lace up sneakers.

• k2boxlady
    Options
    WOW! Everyone here is soooo nice! So glad I took the step to post here. You guys are just what I need! I have made up my mind that I'm not giving up this time. I am sick and tired of starting every new year with the resolution to lose weight and giving up after a month or so. Today is my 22nd day on MFP and I am not ready to give up yet thanks to all of you. They say losing weight after 50 is harder, but with nice folks like you motivating me, I will make this journey happen. Just seeing the scales at the bottom of some of the posts are just the hope I need. Thanks everyone!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Rain here this am...........Alll caught up.......off to yoga.....
    Best to everyone!

yanniejannie
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    fo3sxgtxgfgg.jpg
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great sat!
    off to funeral
    hugs
  • DeterimineToBe
    DeterimineToBe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How can I gain ounces when I come under my calorie in take for the day
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    DeterminedToBe ... not a real gain ... probably salt/water retention. Drink more water and see if it flushes out.

Diana ... love the graphic. Good morning to you too!

I have been on a major binge the last two weeks ... which I stopped last night. Forced and I mean forced myself to get on the scale. As I suspected ... considerable weight gain. So I am here ... I am drinking water ... bought a new food scale ... and will be tracking everything again. Foot is finally starting to feel good again. Time to kick it in gear!

Beth

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,

Beth, good for you. I do that once in awhile too. I lost 30 pounds last year, and gained 25 back by October. That is when I started MyFitnessPal. Good luck to you.

Mary from Minnesota

• sassaparker2015
    Options

I just love this feed & group of lovely ladies!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    How can I gain ounces when I come under my calorie in take for the day

I gained a full pound from yesterday to today. Weighed naked and at same time of day. But that's not unusual for me. I fluctuate up to 3 pounds. I've found that if I keep doing what I know is right (calories in vs calories out) then it will go down. It helps to weigh weekly instead of daily. Or to graph it and and watch the general trend go down. Mine goes in wooshes - nothing for a week or so and then woosh! down 2-3 pounds. You can do it!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN: The horse I ride for lessons is a quarter horse type, although I don’t think he’s pedigreed. He’s about 14 years old. I can mount from the ground, so he’s not too tall, maybe around 15 hands. My teacher told me, but I don’t remember. There will be an event later this spring when they bring cattle in and the horses will get a chance to work them. My teacher is looking forward to participating, and I’m hoping to be able to watch. Don’t worry about the spelling of Katla.

Kim: The presentation DH & I attended was put on by our public library. I really enjoyed it, but DH did not. I may be going on my own in the future.

Joyce: It sounds like you are at a point where you need to transform your diet to a livable lifestyle. Can you do it with portion control? You’ve had so much success that I hope you will be able to find a good way to get a bit more variety in your meals and still maintain.

Heather: One of our regional businesses runs a number of taverns and pubs. They’re having a Burns night dinner featuring Hagis and a scotch tasting at one of their establishments. It would be fun to see, but very expensive and I quit drinking so I’d be spending a lot of money for Scotch that I would have to decline. We aren’t going & I have mixed feelings about it. On another topic, I like silence and am comfortable with it, although I also like “my” kind of music and listen in the car. My satellite radio stations include 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and classical.

Determined to Be: When you gain despite being under your calorie goal you need to look at likely culprits such as sodium, sugar, and alcohol. I think all three can cause water retention. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m mistaken.

Beth: I still count every calorie, every day. That is how I keep from sliding back into old bad habits. I’ve lost weight in the past and regained it when I returned to bad habits. I don’t want to do that again this time. I like feeling better.

DS and DDIL are here for the weekend and we’re deciding what to do that is fun. We are scheduled to go to a sailing club party, but may choose to cancel our participation in favor of something else. We’ll see once everyone is awake. Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Peachestatgal - Honestly, haggis is lovely, a bit like a loose meat loaf because of the steelcut oats. There is a very nice vegetarian version available which I have served to my DDIL who can't bear the thought of offal. They are both very high in calories so portion control is the order of the day.

DH'S team won 7-2! ! ! Last week they won 5-0! ! ! ! ! On a roll. He will arrive home very happy. :bigsmile: Tonight we have Spanish Chicken from the Hairy Bikers' diet book. For 400 cals it is a veritable feast! ! ! ! ! ! Lots of fresh cabbage to go with it.

Margaret - my sauerkraut was delicious! It was a bit more salty than the commercial variety I buy, but I loved it and will be eating the rest next week. We might have it with the trout that's still in the freezer as I have had it with fish in France several times. I am encouraged to make some kimchee when I get back from holiday. (Spicy Korean fermented pickle) I made it in a Parfait jar and put it in a cupboard.

Beth - like Katla I am still logging everything I eat every day despite being at target. I am a Constant Craver, according to the BBC test, and I can easily eat anything that isn't nailed down and never feel satisfied. :embarassed: Logging and tracking exercise stops me from indulging my never ending desire to eat. :flowerforyou:

Katla - we will have a couple of teeny tiny sips of different whiskies to accompany the haggis. I mean teeny tiny. :bigsmile:

Love to all. Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Back from yoga........a great session today with lots of new people. Brunch and talk afterward with two yoga friends at a new place, excellent.......I had a couple parmesan crusted baked tomato slices as part of the meal which were just heaven. For sure conting that meal as both breakfast and lunch!

Diana..........LOL!!! Loved it, in fact, my tea was in danger of leaving my mouth.....and, since I just cleaned the keyboard yesterday........that would not have made me happy.

Beth and Mary........We, are all three of us (and a few more on here), are backsliders.......my visit to the land of "I don't really have to pay so much attention since I went two pounds below my goal and I have wiggle room" dream state lasted five months.........marching on the straight and narrow once more..........and happy to say things are looking better.

jane.......(((((hugs)))))))) Hope your DH got his time off.

Viv.......Hope Wiz enjoyed his food.......give him a petting and an ear scratch from me!

Katla..........Proud of you for the progression of your riding skills!!! WTG!!!!

Heather.........There was a long story in our local paper about a Burns night which is happening at a local pub. I would be passing on both the haggis and whiskey........
    I have a neightbor who wears nothing but sketchers shoes.

Welcome newbies; please let us know where you are from.....specific or general as you like and keep coming back to get to know everybody.

Hello and hope everyone else is having a good day!

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't make it back on Thursday. Somehow I got sick! Started sneezing then coughing and all of a sudden, I felt really bad. No fever so I don"t think it's flu related. Read all the posts and am always amazed when people report large losses the first week. If I lost anything it was just a few ounces. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not eating enough of something. I remember on The Biggest Loser when the trainer Jillian gave her group caffeine pills to help with weight loss.
    Sorry I can't respond today, no energy. Hope you all stay healthy.
    SueBDew in TX