WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    -The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-cool05.gif I started on MFP in 2009 at age 62 weighing 183. I had a many decade long history of trying one weight loss plan after another. My weight had stayed as low as it did because I walked and danced and had a few healthy eating rules that I lived by, but elastic waist size 16 pants, blousy jumpers, and size XL shirts were what filled my closet. Since then I have logged onto MFP every day except for a few times when I was somewhere with no internet access. I have kept track of food and exercise every day primarily on MFP but a few times on paper. I reached my goal weight in about a year and then was told that I'd gotten too thin for my age and that my bone health could be in danger so I had to do the terrifying job of gaining weight. I am now at the weight the doctors like and have maintained it for over a year. To me this is a lifelong commitment.

smiley-happy110.gifMy friends who are sober alcoholics and drug addicts, or who have food allergies don't harbor the lurking idea that they can have the dangerous food or drug again sometime because their spouse offers it or it's in the house or they're on vacation or they deserve a treat or they don't want to feel deprived. That is how I see my food plan.

smiley-happy020.gif My darling hubby is gone for the day (he left at 6AM and won't be back til evening so I am enjoying a day of doing whatever I want which includes doing lots of chores around the house with music and TV of my choice blaring. I have a long "to do" list and will probably finish more than half of it. I love my husband more than anything but he rarely goes anywhere without me so I cherish these occasional times to myself.

194904olsgis3xqe.gifBarbie from warm and beautiful NW Washington

146200.png

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the very important reminders!

To clarify ... I log every day ... I just wasn't honest in that logging for the last two weeks! *hanging head in shame*

I know better ...

I got very hungry at my son's basketball game (a fun league ... not high school competition) and was reminded of the phrase "hunger is not an emergency." You have no idea how often much of what you all say rolls around in my thoughts on any given day!

Beth
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone. We had a nice sunny day here in the MO. I was able to get my hubby out for a walk with the dogs at the park.

I was breezing through the posts and someone mentioned that their husband had a heart attack and surgery?

My dh had a heart attack at 45 in Dec. 2012 and triple bypass. His recovery has been tough and this year he is finally "well". He has lost 50lbs+plus at the moment.

Both of us are trying to get in shape, so it does help when we work as a team.

Hope everyone has a successful weekend!!!

Jeannine in Missouri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    whoo hoo, watching Dirty Dancing then Grease
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jacobs ladder- 35min = 335cal
    ski machine- 10min, 35-40resist, 5incl., .53mi = 125cal
    jump fast- 5min, heel walk, toe walk/squat, skip = 81cal
    Walking yogi- 37.16min, mod pace, 3.7amph 2.4mi = 202cal
    Total 743cal

unusual warm weather here... walked Yogi to the cleaners, he did very well, (yogi is the pup, the one in the middle
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday here and enjoyed Sunday Brunch. Making chicken stew in crock-pot for dinner. Cals at 1684.
    So glad i trained yesterday morning as TOTALLY engrossed in tennis all afternoon, from Melbourne. Madison Keys BEAT Petra Kvitava, what an upset

BRIAN is a Sports Nutritionist and he said EAT before morning walk, so I do. And I will NOT die if I stick to around 1700 food calories. Not dead yet. I have Gained muscle weight and Dropped body fat as he said i would. The scale does lie. I go to see him again next Friday for official weigh-in on his Omron scales.
    My husband, 71, weighs 132 pounds, and has since he was 17. Great genes. He cuts wood, gardens and is a great cook too. Bless him. (rot his socks!)

Going for a drive out and doggy walk. Taking a cheese granary roll for lunch and water.

I mainly exercise to Jeannette Jenkins and some Bob Harper, they are tougher than Jillian Michaels who I use for easy exercises now.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Katla and others: thanks for the wise words in the last couple of pages.
    Cynthia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Welcome to those who are new. Had a good day today. We went through old vinyl LPs. Will see if there is music that we cannot get on iTunes then take them to see if any are collector items. we may get a little money for them.

I went horseback riding with a friend this afternoon. We rode indoors as it is very icy outside. The indoor arena is not heated though and my toes are still cold. Kept to a slow pace as I did not want to get my horse too warm and then have to turn her out into the cold. Katla good going on the canter!

Symphony tonight, music from Strauss' Don Quixoti (sp). Tomorrow singing for two services at church and then book club in the evening.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Hope everyone has had a great day.

Not an exciting day here, laundry and cleaning.

Sue in TN
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! We went to the Y this morning to swim and all the lanes were full. I had to take the lane closest to the locker room doors. So, I'd gone about 5 laps when a (very large) man and his (very large) teenaged son came in and dove right into my lane and just paddled around there, completely blocking my lane and the one next to it. I didn't know what to do, so after a couple of minutes, when it appeared they weren't going to leave, I climbed out on the ladder and left the pool. The guy who had claimed the second lane was at the end of the pool gabbing with another guy, so he didn't seem bothered by it. Officially it is open swim time and two lanes are set aside for lap swimmers, so I didn't think I had a leg to stand on.

Then went to the studio and fiddled with the pots we made yesterday, getting them ready for the next step. It'll be Monday before I can get back to them, so I wrapped them up tight in plastic.

Now we are at the lake, and the dogs are at the big windows merrily barking at the neighbors little yappy dogs who run loose.

Beth, I was thinking of that phrase just this afternoon! And the other day I was thinking of Barbies mantra about what we want most. You are so right that what people say on this thread sticks with us. Good advice is worth remembering.

The joke today was lame. I will try to find something else to post.

Has anybody been to Madrid? Hubby was talking about going there this summer. How was it? Any recommendations?

Well, time to go. Have a great evening.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.
    Hello to all you lovely ladies. I hope life is treating you good.

*Judy, welcome. We are glad to have you join us and this is a great place for support.

*Michele, thanks for the visual image and the giggle. Did you wonder if they wore protective eye wear and helmets while the pots were flying? Pot throwing was one of the terms I did know, unlike so many others on here. I think it’s great to be learning so many new things from this group.

*Judy, I think it’s terrific that you didn’t even want to eat the whole meal that you ordered. Way to go.

* boxlady, good for you on making it 22 days. Just take it one day at a time and keep telling yourself that it is now part of your life journey. You are worth it and you can do this. Add whatever exercise you can and you’ll shape up as you lose. I don’t do a lot, like so many of these wonderful ladies, but I know that every little bit helps.

*Thanks to some of you, I dug out my resistance bands. As I sit here reading the posts, I’m using it for some arm exercises. I put it under my feet and pull up and then around my back and push down. I really need to work on arms so this was a great reminder. I’ll use it while watching TV a little later today. Thanks Pals.
    I’ve also realized that slowly my back is getting better. I’m sure it’s a combination of the weight loss and the exercise. Before it’s over, I may even be able to start walking again.  The wonderful thing about it is that I can now stand in the kitchen long enough to actually prepare a meal. Before, I would have to plan it so I had numerous opportunities to sit and rest or direct DH on what to do next.

*bumblebee, I too have been sedentary mainly due to low back problems and not being able to stand or walk for hardly any length of time. I decided I was tired of being “fat” and that I deserved a better life. I love MFP and how I can track my progress. I track faithfully and started exercising very slowly. My incentives are health and wellness. In less than 3 months, I can do more, stand longer and have dropped a couple of pants sizes. That in itself makes me want to do more. Find what motivates you and picture yourself at a smaller, healthier size. Life is way more grand when we can live it fully.

*Diana, it’s wonderful to have all these friends that live inside our computers, isn’t it? I liked that. :p

*Suebdue, I hope you start feeling better soon.

*Barbie, great post, as always. I’ll be doing my logging on paper soon when no internet available and hope it goes well.

*Jeannine, my DH had a heart attack and triple bypass at age 47 and that was 24 years ago. He could stand to lose about 20 pounds and doesn’t exercise other than doing yard work and some house work. Just to let you know, he is very heart healthy and doing well. They have made so many advances in cardiac medicine in that 24 years that it is amazing. With the two of you working for good health, hopefully you will both live a long and healthy life. That teamwork has to be great!

*Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. We are happy to have you with us and look forward to getting to know you.

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    A substitute joke of the day:

:)

A child asked his father, "How were people born?" So his father said, "Adam and Eve made babies, then their babies became adults and made babies, and so on." The child then went to his mother, asked her the same question and she told him, "We were monkeys then we evolved to become like we are now." The child ran back to his father and said, "You lied to me!" His father replied, "No, your mom was talking about her side of the family."

:D
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    One more:

:)
    There was this guy at a bar, just looking at his drink. He stays like that for a half hour. Then a big trouble making truck driver steps next to him, takes the drink from the guy, & just drinks it all down. The poor man starts crying. The truck driver says, "Come on man, I was just joking. Here, I'll buy you another drink. I just can't stand to see a man cry." "No, it's not that," the man replies, wiping his tears, "This day is the worst of my life. First, I oversleep & I go in late to my office. My outraged boss fires me. When I leave the building to go to my car, I find out it was stolen. The police say they can do nothing. I get a cab to go home, & when I get out, I remember I left my wallet. The cab driver just drives away. I go inside my house where I find my wife in bed with the gardener. I leave my home, come to this bar, & just when I was thinking about putting an end to my life, you show up & drink my poison."
    :s
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    lol I love those jokes..
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sylvia..........I'll second Sue........loved both jokes! Thanks!

yanniejannie
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Joyce – I make (used to make) my own pop tarts… not a diet food at all … really more like hand held mini pies… pop tarts lost their ability to call me after that.

Viv – good for you to listen to the call of meow!

Heather – it is great fun to learn about other’s holidays! Haggis sound yucky when you read a recipe, but so does sausage, hot dogs and other things I am willing to eat… but it sounds like you buy it and don’t make one from scratch… I have not seen them here.

Beth – good advice to Determined to be…. And glad you are ready to get back to it… sometimes it seems like we just have to take a baby break from a project and then get back too it..

Determined to be, Diana, and others…. Seems to me that if I weigh every day I see all those ups and downs, and it can get me up and down emotionally, if I weigh less often, there is less emotional up and down..

Sue – caffeine has other side affects that may not be desirable…

Barbie – glad you are enjoying your time alone!

Sylvia – Madrid Spain???? How exciting, I have not been to spain, but bet Heather has been. LOL on the jokes!

Today was a work day for me, lots of embroidery, and I got a lot done, but it feels like barely a dent. Also got a nice long dog walk and 2 loads of laundry. The weather has been nice, but wrong... so far in our "rainy season" Nov - April we have had about 8 inches of rain, we need 20... and there has been NO rain this month at all, this drought is really really scary. The last few days have been in the high 30's overnight and high 60's during the day... so depending on when you leave the house and how long you'll be gone it is crazy trying to figure out what to wear... Long johns until 10am ish, and after 5pm in between it's nice!

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    another year,another reason to begin again :) if you never give up,you never fail.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I haven't posted for a few days so some of my comments might be a bit "outdated". Thank goodness I keep some notes! I had a fun evening Thursday at a professional sorority meeting. I had been a member of the group years ago and decided to rejoin. They are lovely ladies all current or retired school teachers. Had great workouts Thurs. and today but Friday was a bust. It was so rainy and cold and my mood was blue. I should have gone to the gym. It snowed last night - very pretty this morning - no problem on the roads and melted away quickly. We just don't get snow any more so it was a treat to see. After I worked out today I went to see "Gone Girl" at out $2 theater. It was very good but really twisted.

Joyce - I understood your comment about being "lost in your nursing". I was that way with teaching.

Beth - So sorry to hear about your son's van.

Barbie - Glad Jake's neck is better. It is miserable to have neck trouble. I appreciate what you shared about the way you view your food "path".

Carol - Good to know you are eating well in spite of sleep stresses.

Sylvia - your trip to see your friend sounded lovely - up until the car trouble. I would have loved to see the eagle's nest! You said something about elbow fat. I swear the last 20 pounds of my weight gathered around my elbows. What is that? My arms never used to attract the adipose tissue. They were a fairly good feature until I turned 60. I will never wear anything but 3/4 sleeve shirts now.

Rori - Depression can be so hard. I have chronic depression and have been on antidepressants more than 20 years. There are many different ones out there. I thought the first one I was on helped me UNTIL I was changed to the one I am on now.
    What a difference! I hope you are working closely to find what works for you.

Leslie - Brian has really been helping you.

Allison - (((hugs))) about the job. So sorry it didn't work out

Diana - love the poster about the friends in the computer!

Heather - cheese calls to me regularly. I need your ear plugs!

Terri - Glad you are better and glad baby Claire is here.

Janet - When and where are you cruising?

NEW FRIENDS - welcome

Toni in Tennessee
    "OPPORTUNITY"
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Help! !!!

I am on a feeding frenzy. I don't even know how that happens. I feel like I am watching from the outside. It feels good to eat like I use to. I'm fessing up to you ladies in hopes that will stop me.

I finally got down to the lowest weight in over a year and now I fear that I have set myself back a couple of weeks
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Today was my 100th day on MFP and now I blew it! I will have to start all over tomorrow