WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• Auggie214
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joan from Salt Lake. I just joined MFP yesterday and am still trying to get the hang of it. I love that we have a place to talk to others in the same (fat) boat as us! My husband and I started going to the gym and working out about 22 months ago. Up until September I had lost 95 lbs and still had 20-30 more to go. We were eating good and I felt very strong that I could continue on and finish losing the weight. We took a road trip in September and one thing led to another and I've gained back 20 lbs. since then. Threw my clothes away as they got too big because I didn't want to go back there. We're just now getting back to the gym but I no longer feel strong about my diet. I want to get back that "I can do this attitude" and continue my weight loss journey. I'll be watching for any good ideas you come up with and sharing any info I come across along the way.

Is anyone impressed with a Fitbit? Been thinking about getting one.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I am reevaluating my journey as I call it now.

Quote - "I -Think - I - Can
    Does anyone remember where that came from?

Word - balance
    I am now going to look at this as a life journey and even if I weigh a little more than I would like I am going to give myself permission to have a balance of what I really enjoy eating to the whole food diet. It's going to be 90 / 10 with the 90 being what I love to eat... Just kidding
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pipcd34 - your post was very encouraging. Keep up the good example.

I have also upped my exercises to Kenpo X for loosening me up. And, Zumba for fun. I also do 100 squats, leg lift, 50 pushups, and A 40 seconds plank. I am going to add in 50 minutes of hula hoop.

Have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    OK, this is attractive. My new favorite snack at work is pickled beets. I found one brand (Aunt Nellie's) that is low sodium and only 20 calories for two beets. So, I have two beets every day. Today, there was only one left in the jar and I couldn't get the darned thing onto my plastic fork, so I fished it out with my fingers. Now I have two fingers and one thumb stained a bright fuschia. Past the second knuckle. (Insert laughter here) Now, I do love that color, but not so much on my fingers. I thought I could just wash it off and it did get a little paler but not much. At least it's on my left hand. Maybe I can keep it in my pocket till it wears off. I'll be that crazy lady who walks around town with her hand in her pocket.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    well killed it with it.. 2 hours of shoveling snow.. burned 900 calories, but ate a bunch of junk, oh my oh me.. oh well.. i even got a 20 minute nap in...but work tomorrow.
  • wildfiremoons666
    Options
    Katla49 you are right medically speaking. I am affraid but I do need to go get checked out. Thank you for the advice. I have survived so much already to give up now.

I do have a question, this happens to me alot but when I eat a veggie burger I seem to only eat that all day. I hardly eat breakfast, I eat mostly lunch and when dinner rolls around I'm not hungry. I know this isnt healthy so I am asking if anyone has any suggestions that might help. I do tend to starve myself sometimes.

Hope all is well with everyone.
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon dear ladies!

Katla: How are you clothes fitting? Have your measurements changed? If no change then the weight gain is most likely muscle. You just joined a gym, correct? Normally they will offer a fitness evaluation as part of the package. At least have them check your body fat% and see it that has changed.

Diana in Indiana: Many hugs to you for the way you treated your son’s girlfriend. Just being there for her can mean so much. Hopefully she will come back to you for more support. It will help both of you on this journey.

Sylvia: A trip to Madrid sounds amazing. Aren’t they the land of “little plates”? Nothing quite as wonderful as cultural portion control!

Joan from Salt Lake: Welcome. I don’t have a fitbit, but I do have an up24 and totally love the thing. Information is power. The up24 is just one more great source to help me to get healthy.

As I was reading through the posts, I noticed that someone made a totally different (and not quite that healthy) meal for their family, while they ate something else. I know Heather will often sub-out part of the meal she shares with her husband for something else. That just seems not only really hard to stay on track, but a lot of extra work. My hat is off to you folks who can do that. I am responsible for my dinner 4 or 5 days a week. The other meals I share with my SO (who loves steak and salad – easy, healthy meal!) and with my best friend who has been doing a highly regimented DIET (not lifestyle change) for two years. Eating with her is also easy-- everything is simple, portion controlled, and the food scale lives on the kitchen table. I feel very lucky to have such a supportive circle of friends and family.

My other thought for the day is about cravings. Bless the person who said “Hunger is not an emergency!!” I have been trying to take the approach that cravings are not an emergency either. I will regularly get craving for French fries. (Though a little analysis, I have found that it is most likely to happen when I have been low on potassium for a few days – white potatoes are a great source and not a regular part of my diet.) If I can stall my craving for a day or two (and up the potassium numbers), I can savor a few fries and not feel compelled to “stuff my face”. I currently have a huge craving for coconut cream pie. I want a really GOOD slice not fakey stuff I can get from the grocery store. I’ll just stall the craving until the opportunity to get that really good slice pops up.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

exercise.png

weight.png

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options

Welcome new ladies! ! ! ! ! Keep coming back and chatting. :flowerforyou: Before you subject yourself to any harsh regime ask yourself, can I do this for the rest of my life? This is for ever. And ever.
    By the way, those of you who have trouble saying no to friends and family who offer you things, you just have to keep plugging away and keep saying, no thankyou, I'm eating to get healthy. Don't be embarrassed. Eventually they will get the message when they realise you mean it. Some people are just a bit slow. No one would EVER buy me chocolates or candies as a present. They would be too afraid! :laugh: Someone who didn't know about my dieting once bought me a whole, huge brie. I gave nearly all of it away. :noway: Take back control of your life. It's your life. :flowerforyou:

:

:D Heather, this is so great that I thought it was worth posting over for anyone who missed it.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options

smiley-happy110.gifWelcome, Meredith, thank you for sharing your eating and exercise plan. My experience has been that the best plan is the one you'll stay with. Among us we have many different plans and we are very respectful of the differences. Right now in the far NW of the US, it is cold and rainy so I adapt by wearing the right clothes and shoes. In the warmer months, I stay indoors like you do because neither my dogs nor I like the heat.

:mrgreen: Terri in Milwaukee, every time you say no to food that's not on your plan, it makes it easier to do it the next time.

:smiley: wildfiremoon, this journey should be about health. It helped me to plan my meals for the day and eat them on schedule. Losing weight will be part of the result. Health and well-being will be the other.

smiley-happy020.gifJane, congrats on the new grandbaby

smiley-happy020.gifKatla, thank you for your kind words about me being disciplined....I don't think I'm any more disciplined than a sober alcoholic who doesn't drink or someone with a food allergy who doesn't eat the food they're allergic to because it might kill them. This is a life and death matter for me. I love all your thoughtful replies to so many people. Before you jump to conclusions about your weight going up, how are your clothes fitting? The scale doesn't have all the answers.

smiley-happy020.gif pip, I agree 100% about eating for fuel....a great decision I made for myself was to stop eating for recreation, entertainment, or comfort.

smiley-greet024.gif Beth, you are doing an amazing job dealing with all the challenges in your life.

247640w3x75ph8lf.gifI rode the exercise bike this morning for almost two hours while watching my DVR recording of the US Men's figure skating championship.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options

Quote - "I -Think - I - Can
    Does anyone remember where that came from?

Word - balance
    I am now going to look at this as a life journey and even if I weigh a little more than I would like I am going to give myself permission to have a balance of what I really enjoy eating to the whole food diet. It's going to be 90 / 10 with the 90 being what I love to eat... Just kidding

thanks mary, I don't know where that saying came from but there is another quote that I like better

"There Is No Try - Just Do"
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Mary, " I think I can, I think I can..." Is from the little engine who could. I was just saying that about my poor old van that has trouble getting up hills or getting up to speed.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN: “I think I can” is a quote from Little Toot. I don’t know who else might have said it.

Sylvia: Wear your beet juice with pride. :bigsmile:

SallyW & Barbie: The clothes are still fitting just fine. I want it to stay that way. Thanks for the suggestions. I have been filling part of the extra calories that MFP magically gave me with junk. That has to stop. :devil: :noway:

Pipcd: “There is no try—just do.” Yoda. It is a good quotation and worthy goal.

I’m not at the gym today. My neighbor is planning to join, but has a nasty cold right now. I’ll go to Zumba with her, and I’m working on strategies to protect my knee. Stay at the back and to the side is one strategy I’ll use. I may also wrap my knee with an ace bandage to protect it from sideways maneuvers AND to remind me not to do them. Do those ideas seem sensible?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. It is to be another beautiful day up in the high 60's. Last evening after work we took the furbabies walking and we all enjoied that. Plan to do that again this evening if I don't end up working late.

Margaret--Thanks for sharing the pictures of the ice sculptures.

Jane--Congrates on the new granddaughter. I just love the time spent with my grand children.

Been hearing about the big snow storm in the East. Sending prayers and hugs. Stay warm and safe.

CP Welcome and the important thing to remember is this is a lifestyle change and Take it One Day at a Time and don't give up.

Krieter1--You can do this, I have lost 138 pounds so far and want to lose about 70 more. I have learned it is One Day at a Time and not giving up.

Brenda--glad to hear from you. Sending prayers and hugs for you and DD. Losing someone is never easy.

Beth--Great news about Ashley.
    Well ladies time to get something done, love you all and thanks for all you do.
    One Day at a Time.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday and another sunny day in Tasmania.
    Walked my 3.3 miles for 462 cals and 10360 steps, Jeannettes' circuit A (chest, tris and booty) soon. = 643 cals and food = 1970
    Washed all my clothes and on line, washing bedding off double bed, ironing Stan's clothes and cleaning house. Busy day.
    My body fat is 40.6% lowest ever. :)<3:) Down from 46.2% on Christmas Eve

SOOO glad Andy Murray won in 3 sets last night. GO Andy

Lesley in Tasmania
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Right after I posted about Ashley, I got a text that she was put back in the trauma icu because she had thrown up? Nurses ... What might that signify?
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi my favorite vitamin F pals! I had a quiet day at work, just an office day. My leg feels fine today and I can even go up and down the stairs like a normal person. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I do have one good thing to report; we paid off our mortgage today! Actually I stopped at the bank yesterday but the wire transfer didn’t go out til this morning! So yay! No more mortgage!

Sylvia: my kids always have had lots of fever blisters and they are painful. Take care

Janet: way to go….good resilience!

Barbie: how is your osteoporosis doing? I think it’s been a while since you had a report.

Michele: I haven’t been bowling in a while but always enjoy it except I always break nails!

Joyce: you never know what will trigger a “disturbance in the force”!

Jane: congrats on your new baby!!! Darling photo

Diana: so sweet of you to recognize how hurtful labels like that can be and to reach out to help

Beth : I know….I feel like I live in the circus most days! Hoping your son continues to do well

Yanniejannie: glad you weren’t affected too badly from the storm

Sylvia: I too look for the less salt items when I do buy canned food. I don’t buy too much of it though. I hate canned veggies (well corn is ok), so usually the only canned I buy is beans. The beet story cracked me up!

Terri: yes, one day at a time!

Karen: aisle rage! I love it. I have it too. Hate to admit it, but it’s there.

Heather: get well! At step class, we always had the ladies who had their spot, but they couldn’t get there early because of the class in session right before ours. But man they ran right in there and dropped their stuff in their spot!

Wildfiremoon: I agree totally with yanniejannie!

Katla: I never let myfitnesspal get away with changing things because you’re right; that can really mess you up!

Terri: French onion soup is always good! I have a great crock pot recipe….hmmmm I need to dig that out and make it!

Vicki: can you believe this weather? Now we are in a flood watch of all things. Saturday though we are supposed to get snow.

Bwcetc: I missed the main story about Ashley, but does she have a head injury? Vomiting after a head injury might indicate increasing pressure in her brain. Plus vomiting itself will increase that pressure. I may be totally off though since I don’t know the whole story. Sending healing thoughts!

Hope all of you northeasterners are surviving and staying warm. It’s going to be 60s here tomorrow. I have to admit missing the “real” winter weather. OK, take care all, Meg from Omaha where the sun was out again today!

PS where have all the emoticons gone? I can click on a smiley face above, but the choices are way limited.
  • Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The snow in eastern Ct was substantial, to say the least. And shoveling is crazy(but burns calories)
    I am having a glass of wine tonight and still staying within calories(!!) win!
    Will need to shovel at 6:30, so son & husband can get out. But I don't have to go to work:)
    Trying to stay positive!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Meredith
    , Welcome. And thank you for converting the numbers to pounds, for us metrically challenged people. I’m not familiar with “fast 5”, but have tried so many “diets” over the years and found that they just don’t work for me. Yes, I’d lose weight but then gain back more than I lost. For many of us this has become a lifestyle of healthy eating that will last for life. I always thought counting calories was way too hard, but that’s because I didn’t know about MFP. This site is wonderful and this forum with all these terrific ladies, is even better. I wish you luck and hope you come by often. We are happy to have you join us and keep us posted on your progress.

*jane, I know you wish you could be with DD. I’m sure she knows you are there in spirit. I’m looking forward to pics, too. I see congrats are in order. I know you can’t wait to get your hands on her.

*Diana, how lucky for your DS’s girlfriend that she got to talk to you about her weight. And how nice that she has your support. It has to be somewhat easier to start eating right at her age than ours. And I agree, a term like “obese” can really hurt once we find out we are there.

*Beth, thanks for the Ashley update. I know she has a long way to go but glad she is progressing. I see your next post and hope she is alright. Keep us posted.

*Carol, I feel for your DH and his teeth problems. I don’t have dental insurance any longer and it can get expensive very fast. Thinking of you.

*Sylvia
    , great joke. Thanks. I liked the second one too. You always put a smile on my face, if not a down right laugh.

*Cobourg, welcome to the group. You will find this a great place for support and lots of information.

*pip, great packing advice. In my “mature years”, I have finally learned to pack light for trips. Once or twice I’ve ended up having to wear something twice and found it didn’t kill me. LOL

*Heather, I do the same thing, especially with deserts. It’s funny how one little bite will satisfy me now when a year ago I wanted a second helping.

*Auggie
    , welcome to the group. We are happy to have you with us and I’m sure you will find it a very supportive and informative place to visit. Come often and post as often as you’d like.

*Mary, you got me with the 90% of what you like to eat. Good one. There are still foods that I’d love to eat and won’t, but honestly I find that I don’t miss them like I thought I would. I’m not sure if one slice of pizza would work for me the way one bite of desert does. I certainly support you in your ongoing journey. Your exercising sounds great. Keep it up.

*Sylvia, try a little lemon juice on the stains. It might lighten it some. LOL Picturing your fuchsia fingers. You always make me laugh one way or another.

*MaryW
    , I think it’s The Little Engine That Could.

*Meg, that is terrific that you paid off your mortgage. How wonderful.
    I would love your crock pot recipe for French Onion Soup. 

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a wonderful day. I was feeling better and went outside to help DH pick up pecans. Got to feeling real tired so I came in and started coughing again. The weather man said the mountain cedar was very high. Just wondering if my problem might be allergies.
    Jane - congratulations. She is adorable.
    - Beth - so sorry to hear of Ashley's turn. Still praying for her.
    - Meg - yea on paying off the mortgage. I got a kick out of the valet story. Last time we were at the medical clinic we used valet and they couldn't find our car! Took about 25 minutes but they finally found it. We didn't tip them. LOL
    - Eyes are tired from reading posts. Must stop and use drops. I've been very pleased with my eyes after cataract surgery but still doing drops.
    Enjoy reading the posts and hearing all the great ideas.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    The snow in eastern Ct was substantial, to say the least. And shoveling is crazy(but burns calories)
    I am having a glass of wine tonight and still staying within calories(!!) win!
    Will need to shovel at 6:30, so son & husband can get out. But I don't have to go to work:)
    Trying to stay positive!

LOVE IT!! another calorie burning opportunity!