WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Meg ... seriously... write the book! Hope the knee heals.

Sally ... congratulations! Goal is wonderful!

Heather ... you continue to be one of my inspirations on this thread ... such good advice!

Lots of ice and lots of snow ... good workout clearing the driveway today though.
    Beth
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oh, Meg – TA-DA!!!! I want to have a mortgage burning party when the our time comes ~ 5 years from now. I’m so happy for you! Sorry about the knee situation.

Waiting for a handyman service to come by and quote on a few things here at the house. Might as well make use of my time at home so I can be here to supervise. Hopefully they'll be here soon.

Gail, metro ATL

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sally, congratulations for meeting all your goals ~ especially arriving at your goal weight.

Jane Martin, have fun cuddling the new one.

Trying to figure out what I will prepare for dinner! Maybe soup made with ground turkey and veggies!
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    Darn, I didn't make the top three in the Biggest Losers for this week. The men dominated this week. I'm still very happy with my progress, though, and I am optimistic that I will come in the top 3 next week because Super Bowl Sunday is coming up this weekend. I have no interest in football, so I'm pretty sure I can stay on track!

I started reading the "Power of Habit" a couple of days ago. Has anyone read this? It's a fascinating read! One of the things the author talks about is how important it is to have a group of people who are "believers" - that is, who believe that everyone can and will achieve their goals. I think this group fits the bill. It also talks about how habits are engrained in the brain and that they can never be eradicated, but they CAN be replaced. Very interesting read.

crazyDogLady61 Fantastic! Way to go! You're inspiring me to set mini goals, too. Thanks.
    Pipcd34 Thanks for the tip on "friend"ing people. Didn't think of doing that.

Anyway, enjoy your Friday nights. Will check in tomorrow.
    CP
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Still here but been crazy busy as I have posted before. Maybe next week...... time is very slim and I have not been good lately. I need to kick myself back into the swing of healthy living! I see my personal trainer Tuesday so hopefully will get back on track with her help. I only have you all and my PT for support. So, like any addiction, it is all me and my attitude.

See you all in February!

Rita from CT
  • Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi!off to see my grand baby.hugs

Congratulations! What a beautiful picture. I know you'll enjoy every second !
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Good Morning dear ladies!

The word for today is GOOOOAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!

I hit my goal weight this morning.
    I hit the goal of 500K steps for January.
    I hit the goal of running 40 miles in January.
    I broke through the 5K running barrier (3.22 miles).

I sure hope the rest of the day stays on this path.

I’ll try to post more after lunch.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

kD1Xm8.png

vatbm8.png

Congratulations!!!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Sally - an amazing achievement! ! ! ! 70 pounds lost! And all those steps! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling positive today! Weighed in and am down 2 pounds and have logged in for 6 straight days!!! That's incentive!! Hope every one else enjoys success today !
    I think all that shoveling paid off!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning here and our 39th wedding anniversary. 2nd marriage for both of us. We married in north of England on a snowy and cold day on this day in 1976 after courting 3 years.
    We migrated to Australia in 1978 to get away from ex-spouses lol and never regretted it.
    NO celebrating today as Mildred beagle had a bad sneezing last night with so much fresh blood. Seeing the vet at 11.30am for more antibiotics. She is still bright as a button and eating well, she is 12 All we can do is love her and allow her to leave on HER terms.
    NO training either except for walk on beach after the vet

Cannot finish food log until I really know.

Brian, the Sports Nutritionist advised 1700 food calories and to train 6 days a week, but deduct training from food and NOT go below 1200. I have lost body fat and gained muscle ever since I saw him Christmas Eve. I no longer look at TOTAL weight but at lean body mass.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

CP I read the Power of Habit. I thought he made a good point in trying to figure out what your cues are and what triggers them. Once you recognize your cue what is your routine and how do you change it. The cue signals the anticipation of a reward. The bottom line is increasing self awareness is useful in planning how to avoid habits that do not help you reach your health goals and developing habits that do help your reach your goals. Changing one bad habit often results in better health. Like watching one less hour of TV a night and going for a walk instead. I am currently reading Mindsight by Daniel Siegal. I think some of the information in it will help me when I facilitate the group on ambiguous loss.

I know I need to watch my portions and be more active. The weight is creeping on as of late. I still have too much chocolate left over from the holidays, too.

2015 word: strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Left it a bit too late to post, but caught up with the posts.

What a day! Had a text from DD to say the tumble drier almost caught fire :o not sure what happened, but the kitchen was full of smoke and the clothes inside smell awful and had to be rewashed. Then after tea I burnt a pan cooking a small piece of chicken for the cat - I'm a bit worried what the third thing will be.

I am so tired think I'll go to bed, I hope I can sleep though, once I get into bed I seem to wake up.

Prayers for the baby with meningitis.

Viv York UK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone: Thanks for all the prayers for friend's DGD. Last I heard she is slightly better.

Went to the pool today, swam laps and did water exercise. DD is supposed to arrive this evening.

Judy - I did Optifast under a bariatric doctor's supervision in 2004. Lost a lot of weight and maintained for a while but then have gained most of it back over the last six years. I do not recommend it or any like it. It is relatively easy when you have very limited choices but not sustainable over the long run. The biggest complaint I heard in the maintenance class was how easy it was to lose weight with the product (very expensive) and how hard to transition to real food. This program makes much more sense to me even though I struggle with it often.

Sally - Congratulations on making your goals!!!!

Jane - Enjoy the DGKs.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • Red94568
    Red94568 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Hi Red. I slog along at 20 minute miles and only go about 2 miles! And that is some walk and some slog. I'm in week 3 of couch to 5k. I'd love to be where you are. So thanks for the hope that I can get there! Wish we were closer so we could "Slog" together. :)

Hi Diana - as an FYI, I'm still not jogging the entire miles yet. Even though I've surpassed the 12 week program, I still do the combo walk/jog. In fact, I think I've only ran a full mile twice and the pace was an awesome 12:46 and 11:32. I try to combine my route to include incline and decline. Flat streets are soooo boring! I'd love a slogging buddy! I'm still too slow for my friends, so I go it alone, or with my furry Buddy. I'm actually thinking about starting it over again and pushing myself to get to jogging that 3.1 completely!

Red
    -Dublin, CA
  • Red94568
    Red94568 Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Exermom - I have the DVD for the rebounder but haven't done it yet! I just graduated from the bigger rebounder to a bit smaller one. The Lazy Dog is a restaurant/bar and it is a chain. I find the food to be quite good albeit a large menu!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a DVD for the rebounder. The plan for tomorrow is to do the DVD "Personal Training with Jackie ExtremeAbs" (another new one)

Lesley - when Lance was so sick, the vet basically told Jessica "I don't see a cat in pain. It won't get better, but I'd say take him home and give him lots of love". Do the same thing with Mildred beagle -- give her lots of love. Say, our Humane Society has dog walking and dog cuddling. That's how some people deal with their need to be around a dog but not have the responsibility. You might look into that. Happy anniversary!

Shanyn
    - so sorry about your cat. I know it probably still hurts a little. Heck, I still think about our first cat who was hit by a car, he died well over 10 years ago. But the memory is still there.

Red
    - I felt that I was in pretty good shape when I took my first horseback riding lesson. The next day how I hurt!!! I found muscles I didn't even know I had. We have a Lazy Dog salloon -- is that a chain?

Kim - I've done the same thing. Made extra dessert and given it to her. You say that you're upping your fiber. I'm finding that when my fiber is high my (excuse me) poops are very firm. Do you take anything? I don't want to get in the x-Lax habit. Is there anything natural?

Judy - sorry, never did a meal plan or have an eating disorder. Wish I could help you.

terri - wonderful shopping! I keep some preportioned snacks in my pocetbook just for this (a bit of dried fruit, some almonds, things like that) Woohoo on that loss

Diana in IN - shame shame shame...no breakfast..<smile> How wonderful that you're getting to see your son graduate

CP - I knew you'd lose! Fantastic

Sylvia - the praying mantis is greenware that I need to paint and then it gets fired. They haven't poured it as yet. I'll try to post a pic when they do. I do hope the construction helps business

2boxlady - cute joke

Sally - congrats all the way around!

twhitehead - good for you!

Exercised, had breakfast, took Lexi and Loki to the vet (Lexi for teeth cleaning, Loki for his distemper), went to mahjongg and was able to find someone to send out the weekly email, at least for 1/2 of the year. Then picked up Lexi, brought her home and went to WalMart. Since they didn't have any ground chicken, had to run to Food Lion. Home and worked with the guy who had been the webmaster for Newcomers (I'll be inputting new members), did 1 row of the latch hook tree skirt, then had dinner, now here and then I'll do at least another row.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif I was nervous this morning before my line dance class because I was going to teach a dance that I had choreographed. I wasted my energy being nervous because I had practiced a lot and was ready and it turned out great. It was a bit difficult for the beginner class because it was fast but they loved it. The music was a song popular when many of us were in high school.

smiley-computer004.gif I am still making great progress on collecting data for the income tax a little at a time each day.

smiley-chores001.gif We had nice weather again today and Jake and I went outside for awhile and pulled weeds.

smiley-happy110.gif Sally, congrats on meeting so many goals today.....keep coming back and inspiring us with your success.

smiley-greet024.gif The end of the month is almost here. This is a good time to see how you did with your goals and resolutions for January and make some decisions about goals and resolutions for February. I'll be starting the new thread for February at my bedtime tomorrow night so be looking for it.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Greetings to all you lovely ladies.

*Barbie, one of the best things I have received from here is your advice to give up using food for recreation and entertainment. Now the trick is to get my friends to accept it. Thanks for all your words of wisdom, along with the other wonderful ladies on here.

*Judy, good for you in communicating with the trainer. That is a big step and you are starting to think about what you put in your mouth. That is a biggie too. Way to go.

*Sylvia, that video of your dog eating corn is just too stinkin’ cute! And I see he was going to clean the floor afterward. o:)

*Allison, glad you are feeling better. Have a great day.

*Heather, I’m getting excited for you and your trip. Can’t wait to hear all about your adventures.

*Tatiana, welcome. It sounds like you are doing great and now you have found a great place for support and ideas.

*boxlady, loved your joke. tee hee hee 

*Sally, Way to Go!!!!! You give us all hope. So happy for you, I know you have to be elated.

*Twhitehead, good for you!!

*Leslie, Happy Anniversary and so sorry to hear about Mildred. Congrats on the great work with Brian. (I need a Brian) 

*viv, I’m so glad the dryer incident wasn’t worse than it was. That is scary. Hope you sleep well.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. We are happy to have you join us.

My weight loss goal for the month is not up to par, but I have exceeded my exercise goals. I know this is a journey with lots of ups and downs so I’m not letting it get me down. I feel that I’m getting better and stronger every day in my choices and I thank all of you for your support.

Wishing us all great Health and Happiness.

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- forgot to turn on strava :0(, 3mi = 130cal
    expresso trail- moderate trail- falcon flight, 34.12min, 116aw, 14.8amph, 8.38mi - last time beat me by over 1 minute = 350cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.41min, 12.8amph 1.4mi = 98cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.37min 8.6amph 2.7mi = 172cal
    total cal = 750
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sally, way to go!!!