WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif It was sunny and warm here today and the daffodils are starting to come up so we are being fooled into thinking it is spring. The dogs keep begging to go out and frolic in the good weather. I love that it is getting lighter a little earlier each day.

smiley-computer004.gif I am making great progress on collecting data for the income tax a little at a time each day.

smiley-happy110.gifShanyn, a good beginning to "sober eating" is to plan three meals (and some snacks) for the day and then follow the plan without exception. It gets away from punishment, reward, hunger, cravings, and other false information your brain and body send about eating.

smiley-happy110.gif Katla, my last Medicare supplement included a gym membership but the nearest gym that qualified was an hour's drive away. I love living out in the boonies but there are drawbacks....besides, since I already go to three 2 hour line dance classes a week and walk the dogs 2-3 hours a day, I figure that I'm gone from home enough already. Working out at home with the TV on and hubby in the recliner or on the treadmill is much more satisfying

smiley-happy020.gif Cat, I think you've figured out that consistency is the key to success.

smiley-sad015.gif Meg, I'm sorry to hear the news about your knee. Could your high blood pressure be related to stress about the doctor visit? What a sweet story about the cat.

smiley-happy020.gifk2boxlady, one of the first rules I made for myself when I started this journey was "say no to birthday cake" and it has served me well. The longer I limit myself to healthy eating, the less interested I am in the unhealthy stuff.

smiley-happy020.gif Terri in Milwaukee, eating a doughnut is never worth it....congrats to you

smiley-happy020.gif Red, it takes awhile to convince one's husband to keep the goofy food out of the way.

smiley-chores002.gifLesley, my dogs need to be walked first thing in the morning to "do business" so I take them out as soon as I get up, then come in for my regular breakfast and spiritual reading before taking each dog for a 40-60 minute walk.

smiley-greet024.gif.Patti, you are so right about not letting food holidays be the center of our lives. One of my best decisions was to give up using food for recreation and entertainment.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif23,000 steps today--almost three hours of dog walking, line dance class, over an hour on the exercise bike
    smiley-sleep012.gif.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)--- The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

146200.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.14min, 13.6amph, 3mi = 126cal
    laps- various, 5aps-heels, 5laps-toes, 5laps-squat-toes,5laps-walk, 5laps-sprint, 5laps-scissors, 3laps-skip
    1 lap of each kind, then do again. 32 (estimate laps = 2mi) = 347cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 9.33min, 17.1amph 2.7mi = 150cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.27min, 8.6amph, 2.6mi = 167cal
    total cal = 790

dinner, i usually have the same thing for 5 nights a week, maybe even 2 wks.
    lately it had been eggs (egg whites) 8oz, cut onion, this potato thing that i mix in with it, 1/2cup, 110oz of steamed broccoli and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.

tonight is chicken breast, steamed broccoli and 1 tablespoon of mayo (best foods, nothing else). may sound boring but i love it. oh, 32oz of water.
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    CP - Lots of luck with your weigh-in! Anxious to hear how you make out!

Today I got my first "friend" on MFP and that is Huge for me. . . I have a hard time reaching out to people.
    Also, I talked to the trainer at the gym today and explained to him what my personal needs are. (I met with him before, but didn't really give him enough info to be of the most help.)
    Now, I just need to follow through with him, but this was a big start.
    These are baby steps, but they are going in the right direction and I am Very happy about that.
    I can definitely say that this group has made a difference in my day today. I didn't have some items to eat when I remembered that I would be charting what I was eating for my friend to see.
    Thanks to all for being here. I am inspired by reading ALL of your posts.

Judy in PA
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Meg,just had to pop on & ask why the Dr wants you to suffer pain for 2 wks. If you can't walk,how will you drive or go back?Most orthos have long waiting lists as it is. Mine said the sooner the better. Worked for me!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Today,I drank the most water ever. I do get 8 glasses posted most days,but this was 12. Adds up to 96 oz. Yeah me! Of course it will be an up & down night. If the bathrm was bigger,would just sleep in there.......
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Today,I drank the most water ever. I do get 8 glasses posted most days,but this was 12. Adds up to 96 oz. Yeah me! Of course it will be an up & down night. If the bathrm was bigger,would just sleep in there.......

Lololol
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Jan, here's my old dog, Cutty, eating corn. It was one of his favorite treats.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoFp-KPJg8

Just got home from the basketball game. Our team stomped on the other team. Now I'm going to be.

Meg, so so sorry about your knee.

Goodnight.

Sylvia
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    I am playing catch up. Still have 6 more pages to read, but wanted to pop in and say 'hi' and let you know I'm thinking of you. Is anyone else watching The Biggest Loser finale tonight? Soooo inspiring!

Had dry needle therapy today for what the physical therapist said is a mild case of tennis elbow. I have no idea how I got it, but after two weeks of pain, I'm finally on the mend. Hope to get back to weight training soon.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Word for 2015 = Mindfulness
    Currently reading: "Mindfulness is Better Than Chocolate"
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,359 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of Personal Training with Jackie 30 Day Fast Start DVD. I like her workouts. Tomorrow's plan is to do a DVD I have for the Rebounder. Normally I would go to the deep water class, but we need to take two of our cats to the vet so I'll just do something at home so I don't have the travel time.

I'll need to stop at the soup kitchen, one guy gave me at the board meeting a donation, then volunteer at the Green Room, then I want to go to Barnes and Nobel and get a book "Excel for Dummies". I'm going to be inputting new/renewing members for Newcomers into the database. I know that there's a way to do certain things, I just don't know how to do it. So I really should learn. Then I'll go to the ceramics place to do the touch up for my ladybug (now I've learned that I should keep the paper with my notations as to what color paints I used) then they'll spray it and everything will be done. I did ask them to pour the mold for the praying mantis. Any ideas anyone of colors that I can use? I don't want to make a boring all green one. I like things that are colorful. Then I'll go to Aldi since my list for there is getting quite long (plus, I need more veges).

Deb from WI
    - welcome! Tell me more about the personal training courses you took and the nutrition course. Were they online courses?

pipcd - OK, some of your abbreviations: what is aw (average something?) and 11-15g?:

Shanyn
    - love your name. You're wise not to let the depression stop you from exercising. If anything, exercise will HELP it

kim - singles and pairs in mahjongg is (to me) quite challenging. There is a lot of luck in it. I've been playing mhajongg for a few years now and this is the first time ever that I've even attempted it. What I should have done was attempted it when they were having lessons and I was taking a neighbor with me to the lessons. I don't want someone new to be overwhelmed just because I am familiar with the rules, so I should have tried to get the harder hands. Actually, at one point I did and I still maj'd!

Alison
    - you amaze me with all you do and the big heart you have.

Cynthia
    - that is so funny -- lipstick on a horse! I've never heard of a horse that loved beets, but why not?????

Sylvia - I hate waiting till the last minute to do things. It drives me crazy that Vince waits. I hate to nag him, but sometimes I just feel that I need to. Say, do you maybe have any ideas of colors for the praying mantis? Like I said, I don't want it boring green. Someone there is making one and I know that at least one of the wings she's painting pink.

Beth - hope the ice is on top of the snow.

Betti - welcome! Don't just tag along, jump right on it! :)

pip - occasionally I get an urge for a soda. Like maybe once or twice a year. And then I only get those small bottles, one is usually too much for me.

Sylvia - loved today's joke.

Heather - really hope your back is better fast. Good for you talking your dh into taking some of his med. Your toenails look so pretty

Colleen - welcome

And welcome to any other newcomers that I may have missed

katla - do you put something on your brussel sprouts? I like them, but I think sometimes they need a little "something", just not sure what that something is. Hope you had a great "date"

Carol in NC - the gal who had the detached retina had surgery about 2 weeks ago. She had to keep her head down all the time. The next day I took her for her follow-up visit and they said that she could lay on her left, right, stomach, just not on her back. I was surprised - they said that she could do "non-essential" driving (like driving to work). This time a friend will take her for her surgery, I'll go to the friend's house to play mahjongg, then we'll come home and I'll take her for her follow-up on Tuesday. Just makes me wonder?????? Is she doing too much too fast? Is this a "welcome to Obamacare"? I don't know. Have a great visit with your friend!

Catherine - welcome! So glad you bf is in line with you, that makes it so much easier

CP - good luck on your weigh in

k2boxlady - happy birthday to your hubby. His dinner sounds wonderful! (so does yours BTW). Can you get by with having just a SMALL piece of the cake?

Sue in SD - healing prayers for your friend's gd.

Went to the soup kitchen then volunteered at the Green Room, left there and went to Barnes & Nobel to get a book, then to touch up my ceramic piece. I didn't know that I needed to use a different type of paint! Glad someone told me. Not too crazy about how the touchup goes. Then went Lowes Foods but they didn't have any oat bran so I'll go to Big Lots and get it there. Then to the Salvation Army and then Aldi's. Now I'm going to work a bit more on the latch hook christmas tree rug that I'm making.

Tomorrow Lexi goes to the vet to get her teeth cleaned and Loki goes for his distemper shot. Then at 3:00 I'm going to be on my computer with the Newcomer's previous webmaster where he'll walk me thru what he does to add someone to the directory and also to the mailing list. I don't think it'll be all that difficult (at least I hope not)

Meg - I'm so so sorry for the disturbing news. When Lance passed, Jessica put him in the freezer until she could bring him down here to be cremated. Then she put him in our freezer just until she got to the vet's. As a side note: hamsters do freeze. When we lived in the Poconos, the kids had hamsters that died during the winter. The ground was too frozen to bury them so I put them in the freezer and in springtime we had a massive burial...lol

Janet - I felt so much closer to my MIL than anyone, probably because I didn't have a mother and the woman who was married to my father to me was nothing close to a mother. (as you can tell, I wasn't crazy about her. I did find out afterwards that my father was actually considering divorcing her. My father! We're talking one of the most religious people I know. For him to even consider divorce, you know things had to be bad)

You know, today when I was at Aldi I actually picked up a bag of those marshmallow cookies that are coated in chocolate. I looked at the calories and thought "naahhhh...it's not worth it". You know, if it was in a package of only one or two cookies, I might have considered it. But not the whole bag! I used to go to the store, buy a box of cookies, pay for them, then take a couple and give the rest to the cashier to put in the break room.

pip - I'm with you, Best Foods (it's called Hellman's on the East coast) is the ONLY mayo. If I'm going to have it, that's what I have

Pat - yea on the water! Sleeping in the bathroom....ROTF

Sylvia - that is something how your dog eats the corn. Thanks for sharing the video. I especially like the way he cleaned up, too...lol

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Scale is still heading in the right direction. I still have 1.2 lbs I gained from last week binge but I am on track and just need to be more disciplined with my eating of not healthy foods.

Meg - I'm sorry to hear about your knee. I coached my husband's aunt for 3 weeks and she is walking with no problems now. She was 84 when she had it done. They also made her wait. Their reason was that it only lasts around 10 years. That would put her at 94 for the next one. ..that didn't make sense.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Carol in NC: I hope your friend’s son is doing well and you both enjoy her visit.

Heather: I LOVE the blue toes, very glamorous! I also like my Brussels Sprouts a bit underdone.

CP: Good luck with your biggest loser weigh in. It sounds to me like you will be showing a loss.

K2boxlady: I looked up allegra on line and came up with this: fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra. There must be another allegra that you used to marinate your steak.

Terri in Milwaukee: Congratulations on your victory over the donut hole! Wahoo!!!

Red in Dublin, CA: You spelled saboteur just fine. Does your hubby have a clue? Tell him you appreciate his thought but would rather have flowers, a movie date, or something else you two could share.

Yanniejannie: I love the mental picture of a horse lounging in the pool dressed up like Jimmy Buffet.

Sue in SD: Your DH sounds like a character. I laughed out loud at the slip about your DD coming for your birthday. Your best friend’s DGD is in my prayers.

Alison: I’m happy you got such a wonderful reception from your DFIL and his friends. As to the scale, it is a measure of your weight, NOT of your value. You are an amazing woman. :heart: (If you also want to be a thinner woman, you’ll need to measure your portions and count calories. That is what works for many of us, including me.)

Lesley in Tasmaina: In all my life, I only had to make the decision to put a dog down once. He’d been hit by a car and his intestines were torn open and filled with road grime. It was the only kind choice. He would have developed a horrible and painful infection. If Mildred Beagle is not in pain, she doesn’t need anything more than to live out her life with her people.

Meg: My heart goes out to you. Your knee situation sounds miserable. Now that you’re temporarily unable to exercise, would drinking more water help the BP situation? Love the story about the lady and the cat.

Barbie: If I had your busy schedule and dancing skill, I’d have no reason to go to a gym other than pleasure. The trips to the gym are worthwhile for me. The thing is, I never could dance due to getting left and right mixed up, and now can’t even do Zumba due to knee issues. I’m happy there are good alternatives for me. Yoga is a gift.

Rori: I’m glad you were able to get help for your elbow.

Michele: Yes, I put something on my Brussels Sprouts. I cut them in half and coat them with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and herbs. I use a little salt & pepper, onion & garlic powder and some caraway seeds. I grind the seeds in my mortar and pestle just long enough to break them up a little bit. I bake the sprouts sometimes, & sauté them in a cast iron pan other times. I don’t actually measure ANY of the ingredients. I just use enough pinches and splashes to coat the amount of Brussels Sprouts I have.

I had a lovely hike with my cousin today. The day was clear and had a moderate temperature, but the place where we hiked was muddy in places. It didn’t matter that it was a bit muddy. We had time to visit and get to know each other away from family pressures. It was wonderful.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• wildfiremoons666
    Options
    Michelle, thanks it was my Great Grandma idea. My mom wantes to name me after my great grandma. Her name was Josephine, and she hated her name so she came up with Shanyn.
    I have been walking and using my gazelle machine everyday and I feel better. Eventually I will go to a doctor and get checked for Diabetes.

I hope everyone is doing awesome and has enjoyed their day.

Lesley, I know how you are feeling and I am sorry you are going threw it with Mildred Beagle. My fur baby Cena(my cat) died in March 1st, 2013. I found her dumped at my job, she was only 6 weeks old. I took her in, took her to a vet and she had an upper respiratory infection and ear mites. She ended up being deaf. She was only supposed to live 3 years, but I had her for 8 and 1/2 wonderful years. I miss her every day. Hope you arw doing ok.

Shanyn from VA
  • Red94568
    Red94568 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love reading all of these posts! Love dancing, but now I just usually dance in circles in my house trying to get my steps done for the day, or after a shower, still naked and trying to convince myself that I'm lookin' good! :p

Used to have a horse, and miss that part of my life greatly! I've promised myself that once my daughter heads to college, I'll get back into the horse scene. Wait, I'm married now, should probably stay away from those Cowboys! Great exercise though! Use of every muscle in your body when on a horse. I think my neck was firmer in those days. Hmm.

And as for dinner, the hubs did not drive to sushi, but to Lazy Dog!!! It's ok, had iced tea instead of a martini.... sigh, and vege lasagna, 630 calories! On plan! That man needs to get back to work and leave me alone! He's a pilot and the plane is down for maintenance for 2 weeks, so wish me luck!

I'll eventually figure out how to address you, learn your names, but for now, goodnight mr friends!

Red
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    Ok Goal for NOW is to catch up…. I am doing well, lots of work which is good I gardened for a client today, and think I over stretched my back and neck, the heating pad is feeling oh so good.

Sheryl - So glad you found the right Dr. congrats on feeling better.

Jane – glad you will be seeing the grands… sending good thoughts to you and your daughter

Michele – I have a friend who has trouble making ends meet too, and she is my first to go to when there is extra produce or if I have made more than I can eat… sometimes I cook extra on purpose.. and just share..

Shanyn – great job, as Barbie says baby steps…. Just a small commitment can grow and grow.

Mary – I too love my fitbit, I wear it all the time – it rewards me when I have made a step count goal, and lets me know what kind of sleep I have had; I don’t think it is perfect, but feel like it is much better on my exercise calories than I was …. They are expensive, I was able to find one gently used… there is a new model coming out with a built in watch so maybe someone will want to upgrade and will sell their old one.

Sylvia – great job on not putting things off – do you think that is a side effect of losing weight and feeling more in control? Don’t worry about posting a long post, at least not on my account, I love reading about others lives.

Deb – welcome, it is sometimes hard to do research on weight and food, as everyone has a different theory – and even here with the folks who have lost weight and kept it off there are variations on the theme – the only constant seems to be to eat less calories than you burn.

Betti –welcome

Heather – sorry to hear you are hurting – stretching and yoga might help… was it YannieJannie that said her yoga teacher was able to help her back by showing her some stretches? Good job on getting hubby back on some of his meds…there are for stress as I recall… The toes are so cute!!

Yanniejannie – I love new balance with my orthotics also.. shoe fit is so so personal, what works for some doesn’t work for others.

Shanyn – I don’t know you, but you are valuable and deserve the best; take care – keep reaching out to us we’ll cheer you on. I have times of self doubt and have a good counselor who helps tremendously. I know counseling can be expensive, but there are free/cheap options out there… sending good thoughts your way.

Cat – I am surprised at the low fiber choice, as I have just (last month or so) but up-ing my fiber to help keep me full… I have had to up my water, to keep everything working properly but it has really helped with the amount of hunger I have.
    Terri in Milwaukee – you can do it! Just a bit at a time… tackle the areas that will give you the biggest bang for time spent first.

Sue –sending good thoughts for the little one.

All - I am so so so jealous of the rain, sleet, hail, snow - all we have is drought.

Lesley – I have friends who have decided no more doggies too; and they get their “fix” by babysitting friends dogs and taking a nice neighbors dog on a walk.. but this way they have nothing tying them down when they want to be gone overnight.

Meg – OMG!!! I would never be able to open that freezer…. Do you think a second opinion would be a good idea for your knee; seems like 2 weeks down in pain is excessive.

Red – I will private message you… you look familiar…. Hmmm….

Judy – great job!!! For some of us reaching out is hard.

Patceoh - lol sleeping in the bathroom!!!

Sylvia – the video is great

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 thank you to you and your husband for riding in the MS ride. I think Phil Keagan, the host of the Amazing Race does it to. Yes, I was diagnosed in 1997 but my neurologist said I probably had it for five years. Just knowing that gave me so much encouragement. We took a big Grand Canyon trip in 1996 and we did a LOT of hiking. So knowing I did that with having MS I knew that I could handle this MS. Actually I thank God for my MS. I seriously needed a wake up call. I was an RN first, Mom, wife, Child of God and a lot of other things well in the distant importance. I worked full time for 2 years after my diagnosis and then had to quit after a relapse. My youngest was just graduating from high school and I became a house wife. It was what I needed to realize I had my priorities all messed up.
    Meg when we were much younger and my Dad was preaching, the church we were at was in the process of building a parsonage so we had to live in a rented home while our house was being built. It was just down the road from the church so we checked on it quite frequently. One day we were there and noticed that a hummingbird didn't notice that there were windows in the house and broke its poor little neck and was dead. We were all animal lovers and couldn't stand to see that bird just thrown away so Mom wrapped it up and put it in the freezer. I was also a very curious young girl and always had to do autopsies on any animal I could. Well we found this big turtle, well it was big to us. It didn't move in quite a while so I assumed it was dead. So I made my first cut and that poor thing let me know it wasn't dead. So Dad finished gutting it and then he boiled the shell to sterilized it. That also went in our freezer. I have no idea what Mom and Dad finally did with my menagerie in the freezer.
    Rori Yes, I watched the Biggest Loser finale tonight. I was so worried that Rob would win it. He seems like the kind of personality that would put it all back on the moment things didn't go his way. He looked weird. It looked he was wearing some really tight compression garment under his suit. Toma, the winner looked years younger.

I also had a wonderful relationship with my MIL. But it was never the typical one since she had paranoid schizophrenia. In our younger years of marriage, she was on the medicine that they gave people with that diagnosis and it just made her mind a blank. But medicine found new medicine and she finally was a real person. But I never got to be with her in a kitchen and learn her recipes, she never had any pictures of DH to show me and she really wasn't able to tell me many stories. Shock therapy took all that away from her. But we were close and enjoyed being around each other.

Several years ago I took a box and just wrote on it with a big sharpie IRS and the year. I still use that box. When I get any papers I know I will need when we finally get our W-2 forms I will just get that box out and organize it. Now the most organized but it works for me.

My Medicare D supplement plan also pays for my gym membership. I can got o the Y, Planet fitness and many other places

I have stared a new game on my iPad and it has taken over! Plus it is very sedentary. It's a jigsaw puzzle app. There are some awards you can only get by buying puzzles but I refuse to do that. But you get awards for doing different sizes of puzzles. Right now I am tying to get my 296 piece puzzle. My youngest grand daughter made the mistake of changing the pieces from the 100 piece that I had been doing to 400 pieces. It made me mad but then I realized that after several days that I could actually do it and gave me the encouragement that I can do something I thought I wouldn't be able to do. I think I cam, I think I can. I know I can, I did it!

word for 2015, choice

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Meg: :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well feeling much better.. have to hop in the shower and get over to the nursing home, so just a quick check in..
    working 9:30-5 and have the weekend off..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,258 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :flowerforyou:

I didn't use the rower this morning, but upped the elliptical and recumbent bike. Still did 21 mins strength training. I clocked up 507 cals, which will do for now. Just have to forgo my evening, carefully weighed, piece of cheese! ! ! :laugh: Back uncomfortable, but not agony. Haven't had to take painkillers. DH slept well. :love:
    Today is sorting out toiletries day. Electricals get to be a bother nowdays with all the chargers. I have bought the right plugs and adaptors, plus an extension with surge protection. One of the hotels we are going to is an old colonial place and may not have surge protection and I don't want to fry my tablet and phone. Got lots of insect stuff to pack as well. I have told DH he has to take the camera and the travel kettle and tea bags. Most hotels have a tea kettle etc, but not all. Have to have my tea! ! ! :laugh: And I am not paying room service prices! DH is now thinking he has to buy a bigger suitcase! :laugh:

Sue TX - Happy birthday! ! ! ! So sorry about your friend's baby. :flowerforyou:

Jane - have a safe journey and enjoy those grandchildren!

Pat - I love your word AWARE. Good one. I'm adopting ADVENTURE for my trip. I tend to be someone who likes things under control, hence my mantra, DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :bigsmile: I am looking forward to having a great adventure! Even saying the word makes me feel happy! :bigsmile:

Diane - it was seeing the word OBESE on the doctor's computer notes that finally spurred me into it. Obese? Me?

Meg - love the cat story. So sorry about the knee. A lot of people over here don't wait for our free NHS surgery for that sort of op because the waiting list is so long, so they pay the entire cost. Is that a possibility for you? (I don't have that kind of money, but it could be money well spent)

Judy - you have made a great start!

Rori - Tennis elbow! What a drag! I feel your frustrstion. :flowerforyou:

Mary - well done on the loss! :flowerforyou: On a programme I saw recently they did an experiment where they gave two groups of dieters cake. One group they told the real calories - about 700, the other group they told it was slimming, healthy cake - around 180. Guess which group pigged out at the following meal, 2 hours later, which was a buffet. You've guessed it - the ones who ate the "fattening" cake. That group had also planned to go out for a curry as they had already "blown " their day! ! ! ! The other group ate moderately at the next meal.
    The moral is, don't let one slip up derail you for the rest of the day, week, month. Get back on track straight away. :flowerforyou:

Katla - I would love to dance and used to do so regularly, including modern ballet, but my knee won't let me do any impact or twisting. Dancing is out. Running is out. Very sad about the dancing, but I have found a satisfying way to keep active and burn the calories. I am considering taking up riding again. I used to do it as a child. Not sure. It is an expensive hobby. Hiking with your cousin sounds fab.

Kim - yet another sufferer from over enthusiastic exercise! I feel for you!

Joyce - I loved my ex MIL and she was a fantastic grandmother. My own mother was useless. My MIL had schizophrenia and had multiple hospital admissions, but was fine in between times with medication.

Oh well. Got to get washed and dressed. And get sorting. Tonight after 9pm I can check in for our flights etc. One step nearer. :bigsmile:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • judyharrison1955
    judyharrison1955 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this group (just found it). Not sure if I can continue to find it as I have only used this site to track... and so find it hard to "navigate" around.
    I live in the Niagara Peninsula region, am retired (over 60), a mother (he is launched), divorced, and am sorry my bike is put away for the winter months. Walking now for exercise, although I will restart curling next week, join a yoga group and go swimming once per week.
    I have been somewhat successful since mid-June in slowly losing pounds and inches (with the tracking), but fell off the programme the month of December and gained back 4 pounds. Got back on the wagon 2 days ago as I got serious again! My target is early April to complete the loss and then start maintenance. I am looking for support and also ideas that have worked for others who are on this journey to better health.

January goals:
    1) "Move" 6 days a week for 60 minutes (or more) at a time.
    2) Start a Gratitude Jar: write one thing I am grateful for every day on a piece of paper and place in the Jar. To be read at the end of 2015.
    3) Try one new vegan or vegetarian recipe a week.
    4) Be present: focus on each day, don't regret the past.
    5) Do something totally new (to me) once per week.
    6) Act the way I want to feel (happy) every day.

I have read this saying in the past and will keep it in mind every day:
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Tatiana

Sounds like you have the right plan and mindset. I have no doubt you will succeed.
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Good morning friends.

I did well passing up the birthday cake last night. Slight correction on the marinade. Thanks Katla for catching the error. I did NOT marinade my DH's steak in allergy medicine. It was allegro, not Allegra. Auto correct gets me every time.

Before I started this journey, I was drinking about 3 16 oz bottles of Diet coke a day. I decided I would limit it to one in the evening as a reward if I stuck to my calories ( which I have done everyday). I sip on the coke all night when I wake up with my hot flashes. Scales not moving much. Last night, I set my mind that I would not have my coke and the scales were a little happier when I stood on them this morning. It may be 0 calories, but the sodium hurts me. Lesson learned! A bottle of water works better. DUH!

Good luck to everyone on their journeys today. Stay happy and healthy!
    Karen