WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• noexcuses118
    Options
    Hi, everyone - Just wanted to stop by and say I'm still on track, have logged my food every day since January 19, and I'm eating tons of nutritious foods. I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. Wish me luck. My weigh-in for Week 2 of the Biggest Loser challenge at my work is tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have a great day.
    CP
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Hope all is well today.

Today is my husband's birthday. 55 years young! I am fixing his favorite meal for dinner (ribeye steak marinated in Allegra with twice baked potatoes topped with mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. And of course, a tripe chocolate cake for dessert. Me.....I'm having baked pork tenderloin chops with mashed cauliflower, so I won't want the potato. And NO CAKE! So not fair! This too shall pass.

Love reading all the posts and jokes. It really helps to keep me motivated. My hubby did tell me last night he was proud of me for sticking to this journey. Especially since I am doing it alone. Little does he know that I am not alone, thanks to all you great people! So...THANK YOU ALL for being there with me!

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

The training went pretty well today. Luckily, one of the "bugs" happened while they watched, so it should get fixed quickly. Everything else I do they seem to like, and they took plenty of notes.

Last evening DS snuck a box of donut holes in the cart. While making supper I took one, and only one, and said out loud "not worth it". That's one NSV I won't have to worry about ever again.

My Aunt, the Physical Therapist, is NOT a fan of the weighted vest. Especially if a person has any pains or arthritis in the bottom 1/2 of their body (I have both RA and OA, so it is out of the question for me).

Today I rode the exercise bike for 7 minutes. That's a slow progress, but it's progress. My DD posted on Facebook that she is joining a gym. I hope she starts with baby steps like I suggested, because she has never exercised, and has a lot of weight to lose. But if she starts slow, I'm sure she will be pleased with the results.

Lots of nice produce sales at my favorite grocery store, so I'm looking forward to shopping this weekend after bowling. I like when DS comes along, because the cashiers flirt with him, and he carries the heavy bags for me. Plus, we can stop at my work so he can lift weights and I can ride the bike a little.

Sunday will be an entire day of watching DS at bowling. 9am starts his travel league, then noon starts City Singles and Doubles Tournament. He's a "warm up" kind of bowler, so I'm hoping he will do well at the tournament. I think I will pack some celery and apples (and of course a PopTart for DS). I'm also hoping to buy some compression gloves at Michaels today, so I can get a lot of crochet done while DS is bowling.

But at home this weekend, I have to join those of you doing the de-cluttering. Apparently my Dad decided we are going to refinance our house, and the inspector is coming Wednesday. That's less than 1 week to get all 3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, and dining room (also known as Avon Graveyard) presentable. I hope I can do it.

Thanks for all the great conversations and support.
    Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Heather UK - LOVE the toenails ! ! ! :D
  • Red94568
    Red94568 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I opened the fridge this morning and saw two mini Pies the hubs bought when he apparently bought the salmon for last night's dinner. Hmmm, how loud can you scream saboteur!!!!??? Is that even a word?

Welcome to the newbies! I have now more friends than ever! We can be sisters in health together!

Today was boob bruising day. Tried to do a short run after the mammo, but the girls prefer to be walked after their ordeal. Guess I'll get the miles in at the end of today.

Happy Thursday! I felt thinner today!

Red
    Dublin, CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,602 Member
    Options
    Red94568 wrote: »
    I opened the fridge this morning and saw two mini Pies the hubs bought when he apparently bought the salmon for last night's dinner. Hmmm, how loud can you scream saboteur!!!!??? Is that even a word?

Welcome to the newbies! I have now more friends than ever! We can be sisters in health together!

Today was boob bruising day. Tried to do a short run after the mammo, but the girls prefer to be walked after their ordeal. Guess I'll get the miles in at the end of today.

Happy Thursday! I felt thinner today!

Red
    Dublin, CA

LMAO!!!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Back from lunch..........it's turned into a grey lazy day for me. Had a good visit with my friend Goldie. Have soup I made the other day (chicken, brown rice, mushroom) in fridge so no worries about dinner. Kind of at loose ends at the moment, plenty I should be doing and here I am.

Cynthia.........OMG......the visual I got on that horse having a pina colada day!!! A horse, reclining on a float in a pool, holding one of those little umbrella drinks, wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Jimmy Buffet songs playing........tooo funny!

Katla............What a horrible MIL you had; actually trying to make you sick.......inconceivable!!! She must have been a truly unkind and miserable person.
    Tzatziki can be a great low cal veggie dip!

Sylvia...........Chester sounds a hoot! I had a cat once that loved corn, but only on the cob and would hold it on the ground ends between paws and go down the rows like a human.

Heather........Gorgeous toes!!!!! Hope your DH settles and is OK for the trip. Bad timing, I agree, but maybe he was testing himself?

Catherine (Cat)........Sounds like you are doing just fine!

CP........Good luck with your weigh in!

Karen............Happy birthday to your DH. BTW, I eat baked potatoes all the time........as long as you don't put a lot on them they aren't really too bad calorie-wise. Sometimes I put hot crushed seasoned tomatoes on them like a gravy to dress them up a bit.

terri...........YAY for your increased bike time and good luck to your son in his bowling scores!

Red.........Put the pies behind something where you can't see them every time you open the fridge. Hope the girls feel less smooshed.

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi
    We managed to get to Shipley after all, the weather snowed a bit whilst we there but it wasn't too bad thank goodness. I had a lovely day, had a cuddle with my niece's baby = he 's adorable and also had a few doggy kisses from her dog bear = a husky type of dog called bear because he is big.

I'm so tired so think I'll have an early night and catch up with you all in the morning.

Night Night
    Viv York UK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies: I worked for a short while this afternoon. Air temp in the aquatic center is 84* and I have not drunk enough water. DH and I are going out tonight to celebrate my birthday which is actually Jan 31. My DH is a retired teacher and loves to talk, can't give a yes or no answer to a question, has to give a lecture. He was reading an e-mail out loud and all of a sudden stopped when he realized he had just told me my DD is coming from Seattle as a birthday surprise. Well guess it is not a surprise anymore! It will be great to have her here.

My horse only likes carrots and horse cookies. She will eat apples but only if they are in pieces and fed out of my hand. If I put them in her pan she will not eat them. Silly critter.

My best friend called last night and I am asking for prayers for her DGD. The baby is 5 months old and in the hospital with meningitis. Prognosis is not the best. So hard when little ones are very ill.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,744 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well I took nyquil last night, and was out like a light, DH, got up at 2, and I was awake so stayed up for an hour or so and went back to bed.. have cold and not feeling 100% so I didnt get down to feed my DFIL breakfast, did go down mid morning to get laundry, wore a mask in as I dont want to get any of the residents sick... the nurse on duty says, he does so much better when your here.. lol all my pals including my DFIL were in the rec room, and I walk in even with a mask on and there is my DFIL over in the corner wide awake ( usually he is sleeping,waking hi to me, that was a shocker, so I went over to him and he was smiling at me, said he was sooo glad to see me.. well I guess I know where I need to be tomorrow morning.. he and all the residents there really enjoy my company so , I will be there mask and all.. then onto work . have the weekend off and get to spend quality time with the DH..all i basically got done today was sweep and wash the floors and laundry.. then I just lolly gagged..we get another 2-3 inches of snow tonight and more sunday night which could be a bigger storm, we are already 20" into it really? we dont need more..
    I have really fallen off the wagon, eating junk and scared as all get out to get on that scale.. I know what I have to do.. but getting going and doing it is a whole other story...
    took some cold meds and going to bed...
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy thurs.Packing and getting ready for my trip.Not sure if ill have computer access,so if not,will miss u all.
    hugs
    jane
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve. We have had rain,freezing rain,more rain today. After seeing what ppl are going thru in the NE area,can't complain.
    Not a lot of news here. Think I found a new guy to trim my hair. It's already short,but he spent 40 mins shaping it.A hair dresser who listens ! o:)
    Was gonna use "sloggin along".....but Aware works for me. Need to be aware of what I buy,aware of what I cook & very aware of how much I eat.Have made a lot of small changes ,easy to live with,but what works for me might not help other ppl.Thought I knew what I was doing the 1st year,but guess not. Coming up on 2nd yr & finally feel I have a handle on losing wt.

Expect to take 3 yrs to lose 30 pds,then forever to stay alert.The food part is turning out to be easier than expected.Losing interest in cooking/baking.Using different spices doesn't help much. Making soup hasn't changed,so most always have soup in the fridge.
    Dh is great.....he just eats whatever & doesn't say a word.He says he's afraid to.... LOL

Not sure how much I remember & my notes are poor,but we'll see.

Heather,MIL had 4 living children,but she never missed saying "this was Mary's BD".........their DD who lived only a few hours.Hope you husband feels better soon.

Meg,to this day DH can tell you the date we payed off our mortgage.He was so proud!

Red,welcome. Hey ,you are already far ahead of me,walking a 5 K.

Pip,that is so true. There is no secret to losing wt.For older women it's mostly one day at a time,a whole lot of them & not allowing yourself to backslide.Food holidays can never be the center of our life. :'(
    Welcome CB & all the newbies.

Jane,the new Granddaughter is so pretty,lucky you. :D

Diana,thank you for being so caring with your visitor. Just think how hard it would be to have a wt problem at her age.She won't forget how kind you are.

TV weatherman says we will see more snow in Feb' than we have had since Nov. Oh,Joy...

Patti

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday here and done my 2 mile walk, Jeannette's cardio kickboxing real soon = 628 cals.
    Food = 1817 cals. All OK

I have a FitBit Flex and LOVE it but just ordered a FitBit Charge HRM. MY HRM DEAD
    I do my 2 and 3 mile walks after toast and banana as Brian told me to, then have breakfast.

Mildred beagle can only walk round our paddocks now. Stan has taken her to the beach for a walk and paddle. She slept well last night but another Vet visit I think. She is 12 and has had a great life in Tasmania. She sleeps a lot and heard her lungs rumble last night. She has so many lumps and bumps now but still bright. CANNOT have her put down.

We have never been without a dog. When the Jack Russel died we said NO more. Back home after holiday and went to shelter and saw Mildred, 1 year old and dumped. She always accompanied me on my afternoon walks but no more. I am 67 and Stan 71 this year and have decided NOT to have another doggy. We are going to buy a tent and travel around Tasmania. Also stay in some motels. Might seem wrong but decided NO MORE doggies

Going to see BRIAN at 3pm for my official weigh and BF%

Lesley in Tasmania
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think all my troubles where from allergies! I started taking an allergy pill and I feel better. Not going to comment tonight as I can hardly hold my eyes open. Will do better tomorrow.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,602 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for dinner...
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. I am totally disheartened with the surgeon's visit today. I have a large "destabilizing" tear through then entire root of the medial meniscus (the inside one). Plus I have a huge cyst behind the knee that is oozing...bleh. So anyway he can fix it by removing the entire piece of cartilage. However, that will leave my knee bone on bone, so then he says within 3-6 months I will need a total knee replacement.

I went in today expecting to discuss an easy fix. guess not. He won't do the surgery until I have at least 2 weeks of excruciating pain. I have had 2 incidents of not being able to bear weight due to pain, but it has gotten better each time. He says when it won't get better is when he'll operate.

The other thing is that my blood pressure was high again today...161/80. Now I am freaking out about that. I bet all that exercise I'm not able to do anymore was keeping my BP in the normal range all this time.

I do have a funny story to add....yesterday I talked to the lady who took mom and dad's cat in when dad had to go to the nursing home ( after mom died). The cat started losing her will to live and stopped eating right after dad died. She (the cat) herself died close to a month ago now. The cat is in the lady's freezer. She has been there while this lady has been trying to get ahold of me. OMG. She wanted my permission to cremate the cat and spread her ashes on mom and dad's grave. So I said yes, what a nice idea, then she asked if I wanted to be there. So I said sure let me know when you are going to come to town for that and I'll come if I can.

Such a kind, heartfelt gesture. But after I hung up the phone, I thought about that cat in the freezer and laughed until I nearly wet my pants!

Alright, I'm too tired to respond to everyone but I did read the posts. See you all tomorrow. Meg in Omaha
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

Yannie had a gray, lazy day and I had a blue, lazy day. Sometimes I am just down for no apparent reason. Slept late, didn't exercise, ate wrong....... tomorrow is another day.
    THANK GOODNESS!

Newbies - we are so glad you found us! It really is like having sisters/friends to share this journey with.

Jane - Congratulations on that precious DGD! Adorable!

Sue in SD I am praying for your friends little DGD. How sad.

Sylvia - The Adam and Eve joke was one of the best!

Heather - So sorry your back is acting up. It sounds like you are ready for your trip. Your toes are gorgeous!

Pip - What's for dinner? You sound excited.

CP - Good luck with the contest. You are working hard.

Michele - You are always so busy helping others. I admire what you manage to accomplish.

Hugging those who need comfort and cheering with those who are celebrating

Toni in Tennessee
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Sheryl, welcome. We are happy to have you join us and really happy about the outcome from your radiation and chemo. Good for you! After that, I’m sure this lifestyle change will be a snap for you. Visit us often.

*jane, how wonderful to get to go see the GK. Will be thinking about your daughter and keeping her in my prayers.

*Deb, welcome to the group. If you are ready to make a lifestyle change and give up on diets, this is the place to do it. This group of ladies have lots of experience, advice and support, which helps make the journey easier. Maybe you just stumbled across it for a reason? :D

*Shanyn, Good for you to set new goals. The diabetes should never be an excuse, but a reason to exercise. I am type II and for years did nothing to improve my health, other than take my Metformin. With proper eating and exercise I have been able to cut my meds in half. My goal is more exercise and get off Metformin totally. We can do this, if one baby step at a time. You go girl, you are worth it.

*Sylvia, that was not a ramble. Don’t you love yourself when you get things done ahead of time and not create that last minute stress? Give yourself a pat on the back and keep up the good work.

*Beth, I’m so glad that Ashley seems to be doing better. Still keeping her in my prayers.

*Katla, DMIL actually put thing in her food to give you a tummy ache? That is terrible! I had the best MIL in the world, which I guess is a touch unusual. I loved spending time with her and hated that she is the one that ended up with Alzheimer’s.

*Heather UK, your toenails do look fabulous!  I’m praying that your back gets better before your trip!

*Catherine
    , it sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work! It’s wonderful that your BF is doing MFP too, so you can also support each other. Not to mention, eat the same things.

*Terri in Mlwk, I love the Avon Graveyard reference. Lol Nothing like a deadline for de-cluttering, huh? And, hey, any progress, is progress where exercising is concerned. Good for you.

*yannie, you had me laughing about the horses wanting to be DD’s best friend. Thanks for the giggle.

*Catherine, I googled the Ethical Nutrients Super Vitamins and found a couple of countries that ship to the US. Of course the shipping is as much as the cost of the vitamins but we can get them here. If you can’t find them, message me and I’ll look again. 

*Sue, Happy Birthday! (On 1/31) I hope it’s a wonderful weekend and you enjoy your surprise. 
    I’ll keep your friends GD in my prayers. And yes, it is hard when they are so little.

*Meg, I’m sitting here about to wet mine, I’m laughing so hard. Yes, I suppose that was sweet, but not sure I’d want my dead cat in my freezer, no matter how it was wrapped.
    I’m so sorry about your knee! We all wanted better news. I don’t understand why you have to go through all that pain before they will do the surgery? Is your doctor a masochist?

*Welcome to any the Newbies I forgot. This is a great place for support and information.

Wishing us all great Health and Happiness.

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Red94568
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I can't wait for dinner...

Me either, and after having a salad for lunch I'm sooooo ready!

I refuse to cook on the days that the housekeeper comes. My daughter knows it. My hubs knows it! And I choose! Yes, I'm spoiled! I work the extra hours to pay for those lovely ladies and they are worth every penny! <3<3 So it's out to dinner tonight. I planned for it. Sushi all the way! I never eat my fill of calories when I have sushi, so tomorrow I should feel even thinner than I did today!

See what logging food 3 days in a row will do for ya? LOL

Red
    Dublin, CA

P.S. I'm spending so much time reading these messages, I'm feeling addicted! ;)

• Red94568
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »

Red – welcome…… We live in the same town…. Wow!

GodMomKim - West side, you? I love, love, love Dublin!!!! Moved here in summer, 2008 and so glad I did. Best "village" ever!

Red