Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Is there any food you've been really looking forward to eat but end up being disappointing?

For me, oatmeal. I keep thinking of toppings and ways to make it good, or trying new kinds of oatmeal, and it sounds so good... and ends up tasting like cardboard (Trader Joe's pumpkin pecan oatmeal is ok though).

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    PB2, the chocolate peanut butter one. To me it tastes like almost nothing. I tried it in a bunch of different ways (mixed up, in smoothies, in oatmeal, in recipes) and still...nothing. I would rather have a tiny amount of regular peanut butter which has more flavor to me.

Quest bars. So overrated, in my opinion.

Pizza. I'm so picky now.

Also cheese. I feel like my tastes have really changed as I used to love cheddar and mozzarella on just about anything, but now that I have cut back on it...when I do eat cheeses like those, I feel like it's kind of flavorless! Now I only really go for something like feta in an omelet.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The pretzel crust pizza from Little Caesars was a huge disappointment.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Dragon fruit. It looks cool and is supposedly good for you... But bleh. It tastes like mushy cardboard.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Creme brulee. Sounds delicious but tastes all too eggy.
  • JacReyn
    JacReyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cheddar cheese. I had it for the first time in a while the other day and didn't really like it that much. I used to think it was really good, but now I prefer sheep cheese and goat cheese!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    One time I decided to try plain cottage cheese with Chocolate PB2 & discovered it was very disgusting!

As for healthier food I would have to say Kale chips (Kale is so vile) & Star Fruit (just had a blah taste).

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    jagi410 wrote: »
    The pretzel crust pizza from Little Caesars was a huge disappointment.

This too!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and coffee. I love the smell of both, but every time I try them, I don't like them. In the case of coffee, that's a good thing. Oatmeal - I've done everything to it (fruit, brown sugar, etc.) and it just doesn't work.

Flan. It's so close to being very yummy, but never really is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Store bought birthday cake.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Count me in as someone else who really wants to love oatmeal but can't no matter what. It's okay as granola or in a cookie, but the texture of cooked oatmeal (and I've tried dozens of kinds and multiple toppings) never tastes like anything but paste to me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Store bought birthday cake.

Seriously. The frosting looks delicious and tastes like nothing.

And now, for me, fast food. My stomach just cannot handle it anymore since I cut way back. I had McD's yesterday and all I could taste was salt and I spent the afternoon in the bathroom.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Hummus. People are always raving about how good and healthy it is... ugh!! I didn't like the taste or consistency of it. Never again. :tongue:
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for the "can't do oatmeal" folks! I would likely starve without oatmeal! but...foods that disappoint--lots of restaurant foods-not fast food, but even restaurants I used to like and now the food isn't yummy enough to spend that many calories. I don't even have a specific example in mind, but there are lots of times we have gone out and I was really looking forward to whatever it was and ended up being shocked by the huge number of calories for the size of portions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So interesting! Flan can be delicious, but I guess I only know the French kind... Grocery store cakes, yeah, although Wegmans' is typically pretty good and my Whole Food's bakery section is amazing.

I still have oatmeal because it's (occasionally) filling enough, but yeah, typically, it makes me sad.

Agreed on restaurant food... especially desserts. I've been burned a lot of times on desserts that looked awesome but were really mediocre (and probably still hundreds of calories). Often from restaurants that seemed like they would have good homemade stuff too. The last one was a chocolate cake, that didn't look anything like the description, and the staff was rude about it too... never going to that place again.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    -Cherimoya (fruit). "Semi-frozen, it has the texture of custard!" Maybe so, but it tastes like saliva.
    -Honestly I haven't been that impressed with most of the "exotic" fruits I've tried, but I'm willing to allow that might have something to do with living in the Midwest.
    -Kale in any form except kale chips (rule of fried).
    -Cheesecake. I love cream cheese and I LOVE dessert, but as it turns out, not together.
    -Regular yogurt. It comes in two flavors: vaguely berry-ish and YUCK. I do like Greek yogurt, though.

In re previous posts--I love me some store-bought birthday cake, ESPECIALLY the slightly-crunchy icing. Yum num num.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is freakin amaazing. I have never had it disappoint and tastes like heaven each time I eat it (I do put in a crapton of water though so it's more like soup than anything else. And salt. Oh how I love salt)

I recently ate a bag of siracha potato chips and it was so sad. Not really tasty or satisfying at all and I was like "why am I still eating this?!?" If you're gonna eat a bag of chips, you really want it to be tasty. F U siracha chips.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats. I mean, I love oatmeal, and steel cut oats are nice, but they're not any better than the jumbo rolled oats I always use, AND they take longer to cook. So... I do like them, but I was expecting to have my pants blown off.

(And I seriously want to make oatmeal for anyone who thinks all oatmeal tastes like cardboard. I'm so, so sorry you've had such awful oatmeal experiences.)
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    -Cherimoya (fruit). "Semi-frozen, it has the texture of custard!" Maybe so, but it tastes like saliva.

I had a fresh cherimoya at a farmer's market in California and it was great. I haven't tried it frozen though.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    -Starbucks frappuccinos. I used to be in love with them (I could drink a large one in under 20 minutes), but they now taste like nothing but coffee-flavored sugar water. This is what happens when you start regularly drinking black coffee. Speaking of coffee..
    -Any chocolate-fruit flavored coffee. My mom loves chocolate cherry-flavored coffee and brews it by the pot. I used to love it also, but it's disgusting now. It's way too sweet (I drink it black) and gives me really bad heartburn (when no other coffees give me it).
    -Quest bars. They tasted pretty bland to me and not worth the high price.
    -McDonald's french fries. They taste way too salty now, even though the rest of my family complains that they're not salty at all.
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Quark! I almost jumped for joy when I heard of this fat-free soft cheese and straight away bought a tub and whipped up a low-calorie baked vanilla cheesecake with it. It was disgusting!!! The texture was grainy and not at all creamy like a cheesecake should be, and to make matters worse it released loads of water during cooking and made the biscuit base all soggy!!! :s yeuch!!!