Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    A good creme brulee is heaven in a shallow bowl. I had a beautiful one in Michael Smith's restaurant in Halifax years ago. Served with fruit compotes on the side.

Also I was at a restaurant once and the "chef" tried to convince me it was supposed to be "runny". No, no it isn't.

Oh hell naw, no it's not one bit! What a pogue.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Quest bars
    Cottage cheese with fresh fruit
    Bacon wrapped chicken
    McDicks french fries
    All fish except salmon
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    Bacon wrapped chicken
    McDicks french fries
    All fish except salmon
    I'm scared of the name McDicks
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Quest bars
    Bacon wrapped chicken
    McDicks french fries
    All fish except salmon
    I'm scared of the name McDicks

Hahaha sorry. That's what I call Mcdonalds :#
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh, sounds great but totally disappointed?

Nathan Myrhvold's recipe for a "modernist" pastry cream. It never set!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    cheap "chocolate" that's more sugar/corn syrup than actual chocolate. looks and smells wonderful but then...everything goes wrong, lol.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Most colourful options from Dunkin Doughnuts…

I keep expecting there to be some sort of filling, but it's just coloured sugar on a doughnut. :disappointed:
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To me... oreos. I never understood the hype. It's just biscuit and a bit of frosting? How is that any better than a custard cream or a chocolate bourbon? I was so excited to finally try an oreo (only got them here in the UK in the last few years) and I was so disappointed :neutral_face:
    Also, I agree on oatmeal. Bleugh. But I do love dragon fruit. Some can be a bit bland, but there are some that are really sweet - luck of the draw, really. I also agree on pizza. I didn't like pizza at all as a kid! Now I kinda like it, but not as much as everyone else seems to and I'd rather spend my calories on things I like more.

Yes to the Oreo! I'm American and I just can't stand them. It seems like they'd be lovely but they're totally devoid of flavor and the consistency is so weird! Like, why would cream be so solid in the middle?

I do like oatmeal, but rarely. I typically make instant oatmeal (I know) and I try to find the high fiber cinnamon flavor to ensure I am filled up. I add some chunky peanut butter for texture and fresh bananas. My big issue is that I really need a significant amount of protein for breakfast so I don't eat my own arm off by 10am.

Recently I've been finding that I prefer smaller batch, higher quality items (how snobby). For example, I like cheddar, but I'd rather have good, aged Vermont white cheddar than shredded kraft. Or I like fresh, homemade pasta more than boxed. I'd rather have a smaller amount of good food than a decent amount of lower quality food.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Tofu Shiritaki noodles. :s
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Coffee mate brand (I think) pumpkin spice coffee creamer- was not nearly pumpkin-y or sweet enough!

Dannon Light n Fit strawberry cheesecake Greek yogurt- did not taste like cheesecake at all. so disappointing, but I should have known better!

I also think we could be twins! I don't like yogurt at all, greek or regular. But more importantly, I don't like pumpkin. I keep trying but on my list are: pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice anything, pumpkin beer, pumpkin coffee. I do eat my dad's pumpkin pie, but I wasn't int the mood this year for it so I didn't have any. I recently purchased some pumpkin soup from Trader Joes, so we'll see if it breaks my streak.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The new Jif Whips - I got the S'mores kind and it was not nearly as glorious as expected :\
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cinnabon.
    Times when I've decided to indulge myself, I regretted it!
    <3 Oatmeal. I could eat it all day. With maple, coconut, walnut, cinnamon, blueberries.
    Also love Greek yogurt.
    Funny how things differ for people!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Never regret cinnabon. It's what angels are made of. Delicious angels.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza.

Oh, wait, that doesn't sound great, it actually sounds like *kitten*.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

They do actually make an instant protein pudding that is friggin delicious, though.
    The chocolate flavor is best, IMO.

http://www.netrition.com/body_nutrition_magic_pudding_powder.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

They do actually make an instant protein pudding that is friggin delicious, though.
    The chocolate flavor is best, IMO.

http://www.netrition.com/body_nutrition_magic_pudding_powder.html

Oh now I'm curious...
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    beamie2687 wrote: »
    To me... oreos. I never understood the hype. It's just biscuit and a bit of frosting? How is that any better than a custard cream or a chocolate bourbon? I was so excited to finally try an oreo (only got them here in the UK in the last few years) and I was so disappointed :neutral_face:
    Also, I agree on oatmeal. Bleugh. But I do love dragon fruit. Some can be a bit bland, but there are some that are really sweet - luck of the draw, really. I also agree on pizza. I didn't like pizza at all as a kid! Now I kinda like it, but not as much as everyone else seems to and I'd rather spend my calories on things I like more.

Yes to the Oreo! I'm American and I just can't stand them. It seems like they'd be lovely but they're totally devoid of flavor and the consistency is so weird! Like, why would cream be so solid in the middle?

I do like oatmeal, but rarely. I typically make instant oatmeal (I know) and I try to find the high fiber cinnamon flavor to ensure I am filled up. I add some chunky peanut butter for texture and fresh bananas. My big issue is that I really need a significant amount of protein for breakfast so I don't eat my own arm off by 10am.

Recently I've been finding that I prefer smaller batch, higher quality items (how snobby). For example, I like cheddar, but I'd rather have good, aged Vermont white cheddar than shredded kraft. Or I like fresh, homemade pasta more than boxed. I'd rather have a smaller amount of good food than a decent amount of lower quality food.

I agree with the Oreos and the smaller amounts of high quality items; actually I kind of think those go hand-in-hand. I would rather spend my calories on one delicious cookie than a few Oreos.

I'm so sad for all the oatmeal hate though--I eat it every morning for breakfast, made with almond milk, strawberries, and cinnamon. And I look forward to it every single time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Never regret cinnabon. It's what angels are made of. Delicious angels.

Are you familiar with The Blerch? 'Cause that's what Cinnabon's angels would look like.

th?&id=HN.608029123146026676&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Twinkies. I've seen them in films and TV since I was a child and was so excited to finally have one, not disgusting, just disappointing :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    beamie2687 wrote: »

I agree with the Oreos and the smaller amounts of high quality items; actually I kind of think those go hand-in-hand. I would rather spend my calories on one delicious cookie than a few Oreos.

I'm so sad for all the oatmeal hate though--I eat it every morning for breakfast, made with almond milk, strawberries, and cinnamon. And I look forward to it every single time.

I've actually found that I love oatmeal but only if I put like 300 calories worth of topping on it... it's pretty sad. I need to try making it with almond milk though... made it with regular milk and it made really no difference at all.