Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to get excited about cherimoya, starfruit, dragonfruit, etc if you haven't had it off the tree in a hot climate. It's like the difference between picking a fresh apple off the tree on a crisp October morning and eating that same apple in July after it was picked under-ripe and stored in a controlled atmosphere environment or shipped to you from the opposite hemisphere. Local food eaten in season always tastes the best. Ever notice the difference between tomatoes in August and tomatoes in February?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Try making oatmeal with half milk, half water and throw a dash of cinnamon in while its cooking - Smells like an oatmeal cookie. Then I put fruit (defrosted the night before), sunflower seeds, and flax as toppings. The secret is to the put the spices or flavorings in while it is cooking so it soaks into the oats.

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Storebought desserts of any kind. Especially coffee shop pastries. Yes, I'm looking at you Starbucks.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Is there any food you've been really looking forward to eat but end up being disappointing?

For me, oatmeal. I keep thinking of toppings and ways to make it good, or trying new kinds of oatmeal, and it sounds so good... and ends up tasting like cardboard (Trader Joe's pumpkin pecan oatmeal is ok though).

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

:( to the Greek yogurt/protein powder. It is NOT good. At all. Ditto to oatmeal w/ protein powder mixed in. Or just about any protein powder recipe other than shake form.

I'll just eat my non-exciting plain oatmeal w/ splash of milk and drink my protein shake separate. At least I'm accustomed to those bland, boring tastes.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Vanilla chia pudding! The store bought ones anyway.
  • marimeg
    marimeg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a recipe for citrus pasta. It sounded really really good. I don't know if I cooked it wrong or what, but my results were not smashing at all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »
    Vanilla chia pudding! The store bought ones anyway.
    Oh I tried chia seeds pudding too. Bleh. Nowhere as good as people made it sound.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    -Starbucks frappuccinos. I used to be in love with them (I could drink a large one in under 20 minutes), but they now taste like nothing but coffee-flavored sugar water. This is what happens when you start regularly drinking black coffee. Speaking of coffee..
    -Quest bars. They tasted pretty bland to me and not worth the high price.
    -McDonald's french fries. They taste way too salty now, even though the rest of my family complains that they're not salty at all.

Yes to all of this! I agree totally.

As for the earlier posts about oatmeal and steel cut oats...I like both, but I feel like the way I cook the steel cut (soaked in 25:75 almond milk to water overnight, then on stovetop with cinnamon and a lil brown sugar) they are so delicious and such a different texture than regular oats. Meanwhile, I tried steel cut oats in a slow cooker recipe and it was mushy, flavorless, and WORSE than regular oatmeal. So I tend to think (for me anyway) it has a lot to do with the cooking method and time.

• skirch01
    Options
    Oatmeal for me, too. I really wish I liked it, but I just don't, even the non-instant, steel-cut kind. And also yes to chia pudding - not horrible, but not something I'd choose to eat, I think. And I also try to like yogurt, at least Greek yogurt, but no. I think it is a texture thing. I do love frozen Greek yogurt, though! :)
    I haven't met a veggie or bean burger that I really like, either.
  • skirch01
    Options
    Oh, and Golden Milk made with turmeric. I tried to make some the other night, yuck. I will have to find another way to use turmeric, I guess, since it is so good for you.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I used to love Mcdonalds french fries so much. :(

I tried eating rolled oats with frozen berries and it is the only food I had to force down. It almost made me gag. I do love me some steel cut oats, much better texture. I make overnight oats to avoid the long cook time.

A lot of drink mixes from restaurants have disappointed me. I went to Marble Slab and tried out Twix as a mix in, never again.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    lakhena wrote: »
    Dragon fruit. It looks cool and is supposedly good for you... But bleh. It tastes like mushy cardboard.

Also chia and anything I've ordered at Chipotl.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't see the huge deal about overnight oats either. For me it's actually less filling than when they are cooked, for some reason (and extra calories, obviously). Even with Greek yogurt. And the texture of roll oats is horrible in that... steel cut was better but still... meh. Same for cooking, I've tried everything apart from crockpot, and still nope.

I mean, I don't HATE it, but it's not very satisfying I guess (I put it in the same boat as veggies, just food I eat to fill me up, although it doesn't always work either).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hummus. People are always raving about how good and healthy it is... ugh!! I didn't like the taste or consistency of it. Never again. :tongue:

Dude! You need to try Trader Joe's garlic on pita.....yummmmm
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jagi410 wrote: »
    The pretzel crust pizza from Little Caesars was a huge disappointment.

Disappointed to hear that. It looks like it should be amazing, in a fast-foody "I can't believe how crappy that is for me" kind of way!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Hummus. People are always raving about how good and healthy it is... ugh!! I didn't like the taste or consistency of it. Never again. :tongue:

Dude! You need to try Trader Joe's garlic on pita.....yummmmm

Best hummus ever
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder mixed together. I must be weird, lol. Though I don't do it anymore cause I don't need the protein powder anymore, as I am getting enough protein in now.

Broccoli and cheese looks yummy, but it tastes horrible!!! Hate eating little trees.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    To me... oreos. I never understood the hype. It's just biscuit and a bit of frosting? How is that any better than a custard cream or a chocolate bourbon? I was so excited to finally try an oreo (only got them here in the UK in the last few years) and I was so disappointed :neutral_face:
    Also, I agree on oatmeal. Bleugh. But I do love dragon fruit. Some can be a bit bland, but there are some that are really sweet - luck of the draw, really. I also agree on pizza. I didn't like pizza at all as a kid! Now I kinda like it, but not as much as everyone else seems to and I'd rather spend my calories on things I like more.
  • STEFANOVANTUIJL
    STEFANOVANTUIJL Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For the oatmeal; try mixing it with vanilla whey, a teaspoon of cinnamon, walnuts and a chopped banana. This is the reason I wanna go to sleep; so i can wake up and eat a bowl of this!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    SO delicious vegan ice cream. Sooooo not delicious!