Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• janelleross
    janelleross Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Kayra42 wrote: »
    Celery sticks, everyone says how great and healthy snack it is but it tastes so disgusting, I literally wasn't able to finish one stick, it's just terrible :s

This. I cannot stand celery! It has such a bitter, icky flavor. Yuck!
  • lesliekarp
    lesliekarp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wish the following food fads would go away: quinoa & kale. I've really tried to give both a fair shot. Alas, no. They are both underwhelming. Also, pureed cauliflower CANNOT be made into delicious substitutes for the following: pizza crust, mashed potatoes or alfredo sauce. Stop "pinning" these lies, people!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. But a Mug Cake? What in the world is that? Cake is cake. And cauliflower pizza??? Only pizza is pizza, people. No wonder you guys are grossed out by these things.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    Count me in as someone else who really wants to love oatmeal but can't no matter what. It's okay as granola or in a cookie, but the texture of cooked oatmeal (and I've tried dozens of kinds and multiple toppings) never tastes like anything but paste to me.

I don't care much for regular oatmeal either, because I don't care for sweet things and hardly ever eat them.. Yet, I ate it as a winter breakfast when I still lived at home in Germany, because supposedly it is good for you.
    When I lived and worked in India for 18 month, I learned to cook ( and l-o-v-e-d ) spicy oat meal that is made with all kinds of vegetables. You can google " oatmeal upma " or just plain " upma " ( and replace the cream of wheat, bread or whatever is used as a main ingredient with oatmeal ) and find hundreds of recipes. I now really like oatmeal this way and eat it often as a main meal topped with cilantro and a few drops of lime juice and of course lots of vegetables cooked with the oats.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    skirch01 wrote: »
    Oh, and Golden Milk made with turmeric. I tried to make some the other night, yuck. I will have to find another way to use turmeric, I guess, since it is so good for you.

I take tumeric for years because I have RA and find it is easier ( if one can handle the color ) to just mix it with hot food. Scrambled eggs, all kinds of vegetables, I mix it with plain yogurt, chopped onion and cilantro as a potato topper, in hummus and many other things. Since it doesn't have much of a flavor, but is astringent, it works well with oriental foods also.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    cheap "chocolate" that's more sugar/corn syrup than actual chocolate. looks and smells wonderful but then...everything goes wrong, lol.

Agreed. Took me a while to realise why my kids never ate those cute, huge chocolate bunnies my parents bought them from Walmart every Easter. Then I tried one.

Also, skimmed milk. Looks and tastes like someone's just washed out their paintbrushes.

• OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Peeps.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Humus. . No taste if you ask me. Oatmeal and yogurt as well I can't eat it is so bland. . :s
  • ParanormaLauren
    ParanormaLauren Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could love avocado the way other people do. I feel like my nutritional life would be so much easier.

Texture, taste...it just doesn't work for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lesliekarp wrote: »
    I wish the following food fads would go away: quinoa & kale. I've really tried to give both a fair shot. Alas, no. They are both underwhelming. Also, pureed cauliflower CANNOT be made into delicious substitutes for the following: pizza crust, mashed potatoes or alfredo sauce. Stop "pinning" these lies, people!

I love mashed cauliflower, but yeah, if you're having some expecting it to be similar to mashed potatoes... nope. Same with zucchini or spaghetti squash for pasta. I wish people would just stop mentioning those as 'substitutes'... There's *never* a substitute for the real thing. Just other options.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Little Caesar's Pretzel Crust Pepperoni Pizza.

Major disappointment....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Never regret cinnabon. It's what angels are made of. Delicious angels.

Are you familiar with The Blerch? 'Cause that's what Cinnabon's angels would look like.

th?&id=HN.608029123146026676&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

No, but I'd shoot it, gut it, fill it with cinnamon, roast it, and ice it.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hummus. People are always raving about how good and healthy it is... ugh!! I didn't like the taste or consistency of it. Never again. :tongue:

I read this as "humans"...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Now I can't think of anything except Cinnabon.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Grits. It would have been better for me to just ask for the oatmeal.
  • mattjft
    mattjft Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    any cottage cheese variety other then w/ chives.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Grits. It would have been better for me to just ask for the oatmeal.
    whoa, they probably did it wrong then.

so you cook those grits up with a little fresh sage, butter, parmesan, and bacon fat.

Then, you top those grits with grilled shrimp and fiddleheads, or lacking those, asparagus tops.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Marzipan - sounds like it should be yum yum but oh my it just clings to your tongue and you can't get it off!!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    One time I decided to try plain cottage cheese with Chocolate PB2 & discovered it was very disgusting!

As for healthier food I would have to say Kale chips (Kale is so vile) & Star Fruit (just had a blah taste).

You're my hero for this.