Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• romancoat
    romancoat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding. Or maybe it was just the recipe I tried. Bland, and had the texture of okra, which I detest. I ended up adding the rest of it over the next few days to my smoothies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Carob as a replacement for chocolate.

By the way, home-made hummus with plenty of garlic, salt, and olive oil is by far superior to the store-bought stuff.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Never regret cinnabon. It's what angels are made of. Delicious angels.

Hell's Angels maybe. The smell of Cinnabon is truly intoxicating and it makes me crave one. RIGHT. NOW. The actual bun? Usually dry and tasteless and covered with the same crappy icing used by supermarkets. It never lives up to the promise of the aroma.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Artic Zero ice cream. Eating that was like a kick in the nuts
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Profiteroles. They look amazing are actually tasteless and soggy
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What oatmeal are you eating? The oatmeal I have every day for breakfast is FANTASTIC! I get the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal. My favorite flavors are banana bread and the maple brown sugar one. They do NOT taste like cardboard. I don't put in any extras either; berries, sugar, honey. It's delicious the way it comes. Give it a try!
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options

More importantly than any of the oatmeal questions... what profiteroles are you eating? I love making them and eating them!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Never regret cinnabon. It's what angels are made of. Delicious angels.

Hell's Angels maybe. The smell of Cinnabon is truly intoxicating and it makes me crave one. RIGHT. NOW. The actual bun? Usually dry and tasteless and covered with the same crappy icing used by supermarkets. It never lives up to the promise of the aroma.

I have not had Cinnabon in like 15+ years but Taco Bell sells these little "Cinnabon bites" that are tiny chunks of HEAVEN...filled with frosting that almost tastes like cream cheese OMG

(tiny - but not that many calories actually)

• 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could love avocado the way other people do. I feel like my nutritional life would be so much easier.

Texture, taste...it just doesn't work for me.

Ditto. Everyone I know is always going on about how nice it is but I just don't get it...

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Whhhat? They're actually easy to make... and so delicious (but real ones have ice cream in them).

Oatmeal - yeah, the instant packets can be good, too swet for me though, so I add some plain oatmeal to them. I actually bought a few to try today... I guess it's when I make it myself and try to be calorie conscious that it's bland... if I add 200 calories of topping it's good, lol.
  • Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    skirch01 wrote: »
    Oh, and Golden Milk made with turmeric. I tried to make some the other night, yuck. I will have to find another way to use turmeric, I guess, since it is so good for you.

Numi makes a Turmeric Tea that is pretty tasty. I add a splash of milk to it. You can also add honey if you choose.

For me, I once made a big batch of chia seed jam, excited about the option of having jam without so much pectin or sugar in in.

BLECH. YUCK. And I have pretty broad taste buds. The texture was just not right. A waste of fruit...

• Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, for those who really want to love Greek yogurt but don't, here's something that might interest you. I absolutely hate -- I'm talking DETEST -- any kind of yogurt that's flavored. But, I adore plain (full fat) Greek yogurt with a generous pinch of salt, and some fresh minced garlic, and some diced cucumber (add a few pinches of dried mint, too, if you want). The Arabs (I'm half) eat yogurt with salt all the time. That's the only way I'll eat my dairy, is with salt. That goes for cottage cheese, yogurt and kefir. Then again, I don't have a sweet tooth at all. I rarely eat sugary things, and would much prefer salty or savory.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    McDonalds sausage and cheese bagel. I stopped eating McDonalds for a long time and months later had a craving for a McD Sausage Bagel. I couldnt believe I used to eat them, I felt like crap after it and my stomach started churning so bad a few hours later I had to go to the bathroom. NEVER AGAIN.
  • MikaykayRachel
    Options
    Skim milk. It tasted like milk flavored water. I'll settle for 2% but I just can't do skim.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffet... It was great the first few times, but now it's gotten boring.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    Birdy989 wrote: »
    skirch01 wrote: »
    Oh, and Golden Milk made with turmeric. I tried to make some the other night, yuck. I will have to find another way to use turmeric, I guess, since it is so good for you.

Numi makes a Turmeric Tea that is pretty tasty. I add a splash of milk to it. You can also add honey if you choose.

For me, I once made a big batch of chia seed jam, excited about the option of having jam without so much pectin or sugar in in.

BLECH. YUCK. And I have pretty broad taste buds. The texture was just not right. A waste of fruit...

I make a killer raspberry chia "jam" that my four kids claim is better than jar jam, lol.

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    The new Jif Whips - I got the S'mores kind and it was not nearly as glorious as expected :\

Definitely agree with this! The Pumpkin & Brown Sugar just reminded me of regular peanut butter. The S'Mores is only slightly better.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. But a Mug Cake? What in the world is that? Cake is cake. And cauliflower pizza??? Only pizza is pizza, people. No wonder you guys are grossed out by these things.

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/10-tasty-mug-cakes-that-you-can-make-in-just-minutes/
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Avocados. People always go on about how great they are, but the texture just grosses me out, and they don't taste of anything nice either.

I see a lot of oatmeal haters. I don't like it in standard form either. So I take basic oats, mix them with eggs and make the world's simplest 2 ingredient pancakes. Takes some getting used to, but they're great!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second mug cakes, always a waste of calories when I try them...