January walking challenge 2015

Options
This is continued from previous Walking Challenges, but it’s nice when each month has its own thread.

*** Anyone can join in at any time. The more the merrier, let’s keep each other motivated****

Walking seems like the easiest way to start getting exercise, and even if you can't track distance (or don't want to), tracking time is good too...go for a 10 min walk after dinner, or up it to 30 minutes, you'll be amazed at the end of the month how much more exercise your getting in.

Check in everyday with how far you walked or how long, this is just to motivate us to get in at least some exercise every day, and keep an eye on each other.

I want to try to keep this mostly to walking or walking type exercising. Treadmills and elliptical are A-OK.

Hope to see some more faces in this challenge; we'll start tracking January 1st.

Replies

• juliacaulfield9
    Options
    Definitely need this challenge. Am going to start walking to collect the little one from school instead of using the car, then build up from there.
  • labgeekj80
    labgeekj80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Got in a great walk with the dog yesterday but too much to do today although I'm making myself run up and down my basement stairs.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I am in again, let's do this!

1/1 Walking + Steps 10,075 - 5.1 mi
  • hughallan12
    hughallan12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm up for it. I'm crazy with the walking, just crazy! :smile:
  • denisewhite324
    denisewhite324 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Spent a beautiful Iowa day at our local state park. Ended up walking 2.7 miles because I was too busy enjoying the park!
  • rmwebsteriii
    rmwebsteriii Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group! I have severe back troubles and the Dr. told me i needed to lose a lot of weight.I enjoy walking and playing sports, but i have to get this weight off so i am able to do that again. I will try my best to walk at least 30 minutes a day!
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm in, I'm doing a couch to 5k program and I can use walking as my cross training. I'm going with a goal of 360 minutes of walking for the month of January.
  • Tradboat
    Tradboat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did 2 miles ...I'm in the UK so it's miles here.....today with two out if three of our dogs. This follows a mild and a half yesterday !
  • saraliininsapo
    saraliininsapo Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm in! I live in Finland so my latest walk was around 4 km (2.5 miles?). Yesterday with a friend about 8 km (5 miles). Well done so far, I would say :) Tomorrow a long walk with a friend again!

Edit: walking is my main form of exercise at the moment so I intentionally do long walks with good pace too.
  • sylviebea123
    sylviebea123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me!! We have three children and a dog, all of whom need lots of exercise or they explode so that's motivation enough for now. I'm using a tracker ap on my phone which is really motivational! I'm about to go out now.....
  • Shelleybell1992
    Shelleybell1992 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm up for the help in exercise ^_^
  • llkemp
    llkemp Posts: 15
    Options
    This is continued from previous Walking Challenges, but it’s nice when each month has its own thread.

*** Anyone can join in at any time. The more the merrier, let’s keep each other motivated****

Walking seems like the easiest way to start getting exercise, and even if you can't track distance (or don't want to), tracking time is good too...go for a 10 min walk after dinner, or up it to 30 minutes, you'll be amazed at the end of the month how much more exercise your getting in.

Check in everyday with how far you walked or how long, this is just to motivate us to get in at least some exercise every day, and keep an eye on each other.

I want to try to keep this mostly to walking or walking type exercising. Treadmills and elliptical are A-OK.

Hope to see some more faces in this challenge; we'll start tracking January 1st.

just what I was looking for a challenge I can do and want to do....will end with around 7,000 steps today
  • Gwennie60
    Gwennie60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this challenge if it isn't too late! I walked 1.53 miles today in 30 minutes with my little dog. I am trying to get back into the groove and take off all the extra holiday weight (for both me and the dog!) and walking seemed like the best way to start so this challenge is perfect for us!
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    Howdy all! This is perfect for me, since I have my Basis Peak now and am trying to get up to at least 10,000 steps per day. I hit 8400 yesterday...almost there! I have a dog who loves to walk, so I really don't have an excuse for not getting out there and getting it done.
  • Shirley61
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1/2 Steps 4,753 - 2.4 mi
    1/3 Steps 3,858 - 2 mi
  • Gwennie60
    Options
    I took my dog for a morning walk of 1.75 miles and then an evening walk for 1 mile. My fitbit says that I have gone 4 miles so far today (9,688 steps and 22 flights of stairs). I thought I would check in before I forget but I have a few hours yet before I will go to bed so maybe before then I will break at least 10,000 steps! No more walks tonight, the last one was really soggy (dumping rain) and the dog was not easy to drag along with me as she is not a big fan of the rain! lol

Is there a specific way I should be reporting my walks? Or is what I am doing good enough? Congrats to all of you that have been walking so far!! I hope to work up to it at some point!!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    1/2 Steps 4,753 - 2.4 mi
    1/3 Steps 3,858 - 2 mi
    1/4 Steps 5,000 - 2.5 mi
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gwennie60
    Options
    Well, we are having flooding around my area and it has been POURING down rain. It was a pretty soggy day but it did clear up (sort of) for a few moments and I took my dog out for a 2.25 mile walk this afternoon when it slowed to a drizzle. I will just keep on keepin' on! I haven't worked out in FOREVER and I am feeling all those hills and miles in my hips, rear, thighs and calves! Sheesh, definitely a sign I need to get back to shaping up!! :o
  • WalkingtoWhere
    Options
    I love to walk! I'm in! Add me for endless walking statuses ;)