Anyone else losing their desire/taste for alcohol?

Options

Replies

• logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    No, but I have noticed my taste IN alcohol has changed. used to chug beer like t was water, now just 2-3 beers gives me a massive hangover. On the flipside, I now enjoy more flavorful drinks like Old Fashioneds. I drink less of them (2-3 drinks vs 12-16 beers like I used to) and I feel better in the morning.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've never been a binge drinker, but a glass (or two) of wine in the evening almost daily is the norm for me. It's also a huge part of the social/professional scene in this town - how you get anything done professionally in this city if you can't drink due to alcoholism or something is beyond me.

There are some drinks that I learned what the caloric intake was and have pretty much refused to touch it since then. But generally I just add the calories to my diary ahead of time and plan ahead for the wine.

Easy. Club and lime....and just say it's a vodka drink.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    logicman69 wrote: »
    No, but I have noticed my taste IN alcohol has changed. used to chug beer like t was water, now just 2-3 beers gives me a massive hangover. On the flipside, I now enjoy more flavorful drinks like Old Fashioneds. I drink less of them (2-3 drinks vs 12-16 beers like I used to) and I feel better in the morning.

Tell me...what is this old fashioned you speak of?

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For me it's just really changed a lot. 5+ years ago I drank only "hard liquor" and mixed drinks. I did a lot of shots. I usually would consume massive amounts (for me) in a very short time period and get very drunk, on the occasions when I drank. But I only drank like once every 2-3 months. Sometimes less than that. Even though I was in my thirties I basically drank like a college kid, hated the taste of most alcohol, and saw it 100% as a means to an end of feeling very buzzed or drunk.

In the past 3 years since meeting my now-husband, I've only gotten "drunk" a couple of times, and I drink at least weekly. He has introduced me to wine and beer. Now I enjoy touring wineries and breweries, and have become really interested in craft beer. I actually enjoy the taste of my alcohol now and will nurse 1-2 craft beers at a party happily. On New Year's Eve I enjoyed an IPA that I sipped slowly and it was a nice experience to me, just like eating an Oreo truffle at the same party.

I don't think I could or would drink like I used to, now. Partly because I have no desire to do shots of tequila and Jagermeister ten in a row, but also because a lot of the mixed drinks would be way too sugary for me now and definitely not worth the calories at all.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I thought that was just getting old....

I don't drink as much as I used to, but that's because hangovers are so much worse and it's really hard for me to workout hungover. That said, I still love wine and craft beer and indulge when I want.

Well, I'm only 24, so I would be surprised if I was old already! :(
    I'm just sad because I used to love wine. I had a few glasses at the party, and I felt so "meh" about my favorite merlot.

Just wait until 30! I don't know how I used to do it when I was younger. Two glasses of wine and I feel it the next day.

I don't drink so much to drink now. I drink because I like what I'm drinking and it tastes good with food.

Nopenopenopenope. Never turning 30! Lol.

Ah I'm pushing 40 and no probs even with lots of alcohol consumed.

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    That's one way to look at it. Another way is that you can go for quality without your wallet shrieking.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I quickly put alcohol in the 'not worth the calories even on binge days' category. The only time I've had any in the last year is when I cooked sauerkraut in it two days ago... and probably a few drops in a dessert or two. I'd much rather eat my calories (with the exception of a coffee drink or milkshake once in a blue moon).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope I like my alcohol... :drinker:
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I drink less, but I value it more because I have to budget the calories. At a restaurant I'll decline an appetizer or dessert because I'd rather spend the calories on an extra beer.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    My tastes have changed for sure, more discerning and I do consume less but enjoy it much more.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I prefer to drink coffee instead of alcohol. I guess this is why I'm always the one driving friends home after a party, lol. :D
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of cider on nights out.
    Now I can't stomach it, it's way too sweet and makes me feel bloated, I stick to spirits with diet mixer when drinking now which means I usually spend less and drink less because since losing weight my alcohol tolerance has plummeted anyway.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I drink less, but I value it more because I have to budget the calories. At a restaurant I'll decline an appetizer or dessert because I'd rather spend the calories on an extra beer.

I kind of do the same. Yesterday my husband and I went out for pizza and I could have gone for a more indulgent pizza or had more slices of it, but instead I wanted a beer. Obviously not a great habit to get into for every day but for me it's fine for a treat on the weekend...whereas years earlier I would have chosen to eat the calories of something with higher fat, sodium, etc, opt for a dessert after, etc.

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used to drink alcohol on a regular basis, but am now a tea and water total (well...one or two glasses a year). I am completely into fitness and stopped smoking (2years ago). I prefer the calories in food form.
    Stef.
  • morganandersonr
    morganandersonr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that I was the only one experiencing this. I started tracking everything in myfitnesspal and eating very clean the day after Christmas. I didn't have a single drink from Christmas to January 2nd. Even in that time my tolerance went way down. I didn't have a habit of drinking a lot, but I did enjoy craft beer (still do enjoy the taste of it). Friday night I had just 3 beers over the course of several hours and woke up with a raging hangover the next day :\ Now I don't dare touch the stuff.... which I guess is nothing but good for my fitness goals.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I prefer wines now that are more dry. I can stand the super sweet juice-like ones anymore. But, I do love my vino.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I never really got into drinking alcohol before trying to lose weight. Too much of a goodie-goodie to drink before turning 21 outside of whatever nasty wine coolers family let me sip. I did like Shiner Bock though, might pick some up if I remember to.

I bought some cheap wine for New Years, but I'll probably end up using what I have left for cooking.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was never a big drinker, but now am a non-drinker. I do miss it sometimes.
  • Hmorgan2015
    Hmorgan2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to have a beer or one or two glasses of wine in the evenings. I am sure this is a contributing factor to my weight gain and I am hoping to break this habit I am in.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I lost my taste for drinking a few years ago, I had some champagne last New Year's Eve. This year I skipped it because I was pregnant and I didn't really miss it, I still enjoyed the evening. I have at least another year before I should drink again, but I'm not bothered. (I know some women still have a drink while breastfeeding but I'd rather just wait until I'm done.)