• clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My bento with kids 0m3lfks6d0q3.jpg
    at bev2j5xzeklf6t.jpgBerkeley!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Well, I packed a lunch, brought it to work and ended up eating a small portion of unsalted nuts instead because I didn't take a lunch break. Had an order that I couldn't even finish because I have to pick up supplies from another store in the morning. So, here is the picture once I got home before I tossed it in a bowl and heated it up in the microwave. Eating it now before bed. Just more curry stuffs and half an avocado.

8dmlpme68mri.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    My bento with kids 0m3lfks6d0q3.jpg
    at bev2j5xzeklf6t.jpgBerkeley!
    Awesome. You know you're doing something right when they're taking photos of the food as well ;)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nothing spectacular but got to eat my bento at work this time. Baked sweet potato and roast beef leftovers in the penguin bento.

gmf5qduw57jl.jpg
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely people. I want to get my boyfriend one of these, he has a fruit salad (at least 4 servings/pieces) of fruit, 2 sandwiches (normal sliced loaf size) and some nuts to take. I saw this one on Amazon and it look like an ok size, would anyone have any hints on what size i should get? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N4RT1PG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AN1P1GLLI6W3J
  • mangrothian
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi lovely people. I want to get my boyfriend one of these, he has a fruit salad (at least 4 servings/pieces) of fruit, 2 sandwiches (normal sliced loaf size) and some nuts to take. I saw this one on Amazon and it look like an ok size, would anyone have any hints on what size i should get? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N4RT1PG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AN1P1GLLI6W3J

Unless you're cutting up his sandwiches into finger sandwiches and they have minimal filling, they probably won't fit into the box, but the fruit should since it's cut up, and the nuts depending on how big his serving of nuts is, could go into a silicone cup with the fruit. Because sandwiches are generally a food that you can't 'squish' you need a roomy box - I'd say around 1.5L maybe? Put his lunch into some tupperware and see what volume it takes up, then look for a box the same size. When you're having sandwiches it's kinda hard to judge, because the fillings change it's volume easily, which is why I suggest you check it this way first.

Also, the box you've linked is a thermal box. Does he ever take warmed up leftovers? If not, a thermal box isn't really necessary, but a thermal bag never hurt.

It's more expensive, but maybe a monbento square box? they're bigger, one layer comes with a dividable compartment, and if needs be, you only need to take the bottom box on any days his lunch is smaller. Also, without the inner lids on, it's microwave friendly for reheating food gently.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Thanks that looks nice, going by the dimension it is smaller overall. But perhaps square would be better.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I'm so glad I have the energy to properly make my bentos again. No more half-effort lunches for me!

My Tuesday bento is chicken breast pieces marinated in some kind of Japanese bbq marinade (no idea what it's called), then lightly coated in panko breadcrumbs and baked. The usual sides of blanched veg and rice with an umeboshi, and some pickled ginger (I finally found some that isn't coloured pink and loaded with other unnecessary artificial stuff)
    ohsujb78qhf0.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Thanks that looks nice, going by the dimension it is smaller overall. But perhaps square would be better.

because it's a thermal box it's thicker, so the actual room inside it is much less, which is more why I suggested the monbento (or something similar; they are an expensive box, but a good example *shrug*). The size on the outside is smaller, but it probably has more room on the inside. You could always post the question on the product page to see if someone will check the internal volume for you.

If you want even bigger, there's always this one , which is a nice whoppin' 2.1L.

Having the wrong size box for what I want to eat to make sure my food stays in good condition annoys the bahjeebus out of me (which is probably why I have so many boxes >.<). Find the size you need for your bf so you have the right search options, then go hunting.
  • refuseresist
    Options

because it's a thermal box it's thicker, so the actual room inside it is much less, which is more why I suggested the monbento (or something similar; they are an expensive box, but a good example *shrug*). The size on the outside is smaller, but it probably has more room on the inside. You could always post the question on the product page to see if someone will check the internal volume for you.

If you want even bigger, there's always this one , which is a nice whoppin' 2.1L.

Having the wrong size box for what I want to eat to make sure my food stays in good condition annoys the bahjeebus out of me (which is probably why I have so many boxes >.<). Find the size you need for your bf so you have the right search options, then go hunting.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info :-)
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Who else spent 3 hours at the DMV on Saturday and just didn't have it in you to go grocery shopping after that?

I really scrounged around the kitchen to put my lunch together. I can eat out, but I have been making very bad choices at restaurants lately, and I know I will end up with a cheeseburger and French fries. I poked around in the fridge this morning and opened up a bag of green beans to find more white fuzz than bean. (Barf).

I'm sort of embarrassed to post what I came up with this morning, but here it is:

1r2gztipf9o2.jpeg

Apple, apple cinnamon oatmeal, and a mix of almonds, raisins, and chocolate chips. Not pictured is a granola bar.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Who else spent 3 hours at the DMV on Saturday and just didn't have it in you to go grocery shopping after that?

I'm sort of embarrassed to post what I came up with this morning, but here it is:

1r2gztipf9o2.jpeg

Apple, apple cinnamon oatmeal, and a mix of almonds, raisins, and chocolate chips. Not pictured is a granola bar.

There's no reason to be embarrassed by that box; it looks healthy and delicious!

I have pesto chicken, strawberries and a salad today but it didn't get packed bento style, just in three boxes. Oh well. Happy Monday!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »

1r2gztipf9o2.jpeg

There's no reason to be embarrassed by that box; it looks healthy and delicious!

I have pesto chicken, strawberries and a salad today but it didn't get packed bento style, just in three boxes. Oh well. Happy Monday!

Agreed! I'm pretty impressed you put something so nice together.

Today's lunch, pork dumplings, a sliced up plum, broccoli and some leftover rice.

q7wzgpwj0ai2.jpg

• mangrothian
    Options

I really scrounged around the kitchen to put my lunch together. I can eat out, but I have been making very bad choices at restaurants lately, and I know I will end up with a cheeseburger and French fries. I poked around in the fridge this morning and opened up a bag of green beans to find more white fuzz than bean. (Barf).

1r2gztipf9o2.jpeg

Everyone has mother hubbard times with their cupboards. You've done swimmingly all things considered. How did the porridge hold up in the box? Did it go gluey?
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    Deconstructed bento for today

Greek yoghurt with Mango in Passionfruit sauce
    Strawberries & cottage cheese
    Beef strips in dark soy & sake with rice
    Mandarin

Total 752 cals

44mbzwx8jlb5.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Deconstructed bento for today

Greek yoghurt with Mango in Passionfruit sauce
    Strawberries & cottage cheese
    Beef strips in dark soy & sake with rice
    Mandarin

Total 752 cals

44mbzwx8jlb5.jpg

Hehe, deconstructed bento. You'll be working with Heston Bloomenthall in no time :)
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

1r2gztipf9o2.jpeg

Everyone has mother hubbard times with their cupboards. You've done swimmingly all things considered. How did the porridge hold up in the box? Did it go gluey?

It was pretty firm and could easily be eaten with a fork... But I don't have much of a texture issue with food, and I prefer to eat most things cold, so I thought it was good!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Another Mother Hubbard bento: ham-swiss roll-ups, brie, gruyere, crackers, and a salad.
    95amu0lidcie.jpg

And I waited too long to eat lunch, so even though this was WAY more calories than usual, I'm still very shaky. I think I'm gonna raid the candy jar....again....
  • mangrothian
    Options

1r2gztipf9o2.jpeg

It was pretty firm and could easily be eaten with a fork... But I don't have much of a texture issue with food, and I prefer to eat most things cold, so I thought it was good!

Yeah, texture is the main thing that puts me off food (and one of the reasons I don't eat molluscs. Oysters? Bleuagh!), so I don't know if I could get myself to eat cooled porridge. Although it would definitely make a good box filler.

My Thursday bento is a little different for me. I'm trying to clean out the deep dark recesses of my pantry, and found a nearly empty box of spelt couscous. My husband and I butt heads about what the texture of couscous should be; he likes it soft, full of butter and kind of clumpy, whereas I like mine soft, but with all the grains separated and not oily, so our boxes of couscous have moved further and further back on the shelf since we never cook it anymore.

So spelt couscous bento with grilled salmon, asparagus and golden squash, with fresh roasted beetroot that came from my parents garden. There's onion, capsicum and carrot that was added to the couscous.
    6bucwp71qu8v.jpg
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options

Yeah, texture is the main thing that puts me off food (and one of the reasons I don't eat molluscs. Oysters? Bleuagh!), so I don't know if I could get myself to eat cooled porridge. Although it would definitely make a good box filler.

My Thursday bento is a little different for me. I'm trying to clean out the deep dark recesses of my pantry, and found a nearly empty box of spelt couscous. My husband and I butt heads about what the texture of couscous should be; he likes it soft, full of butter and kind of clumpy, whereas I like mine soft, but with all the grains separated and not oily, so our boxes of couscous have moved further and further back on the shelf since we never cook it anymore.

So spelt couscous bento with grilled salmon, asparagus and golden squash, with fresh roasted beetroot that came from my parents garden. There's onion, capsicum and carrot that was added to the couscous.

IMO this is the correct way for couscous