Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm back from con! It was so fun, and I treated myself to a box of Hello Panda cookies from the dealer room :3

No bento today (I slept most of yesterday & I'm still exhausted) but I went to the sushi cart and got a spicy tuna, avocado, and peach handroll with a cup of miso soup. No picture, it was gone too fast :p
    Welcome back! Glad it was fun~^__^

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Round 2 of pork, broccoli & rice. Today I couldn't fit the carrots in, but I did still get the cranberry/almond mix. I'm now out of broccoli, so not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. Lunch is 450 cals, snack box is 290. Snacks are a bunny egg, edamame thins, baybel cheese and plums. Bunny egg doesn't come through too clear in the picture.
    cycnkyntxzfo.jpg

• aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    Plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast (209cal)
    Strawberries for morning tea (42cal)
    Beef strips in black bean sauce on a bed of rice for lunch (411cal)
    Sugar Snap Peas with ricotta for afternoon tea (57cal)
    Total of 815 for the day inc morning coffee exc dinner.

89bqqs4lrjq5.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Guys!!! I have a job!!! And that means I can bring bento lunches to work again!!!

99clxx9kibbw.jpg

Today I had broccoli, mini burgers, leftover spaghetti, and a honeycrisp apple. Simple and delicious!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Guys!!! I have a job!!! And that means I can bring bento lunches to work again!!!

Today I had broccoli, mini burgers, leftover spaghetti, and a honeycrisp apple. Simple and delicious!

Congrats on the new job!

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Congrats on the job! And your lunch looks so yummy!

• HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora Congrats on the new job. Bento looks yummy.

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Today's bento:

b3v6wtbky5mw.jpg

Rice with the best ever beef burgundy that I cooked in the slow cooker all day yesterday, green beans, babybel cheese, and banana bread that I baked last night. Ohmygodyum! I can't wait until lunch time!
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora yay for the new job!

Tomorrow's bento: rice, tamagoyaki, dumplings, salad and teriyaki chicken

1duwma3l6f7i.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    So many yummy looking bentos. Now I wanna make banana bread. Bad news, no pic from me as my Mac laptop is being repaired. I am posting from a tablet, the pictures are from phone loaded to dropbox and it didn't worm from netbook as it was ginormous to the point it would mess up the whole page. Just words from me for now and hopefully soon will have Mac back.

Yesterday was leftovers: chicken thigh, long green beans, cabbage, sriracha, scrambled egg, banana and golden kiwi.

Today is carne asada, more leftover veggie, zucchini, spicy seaweed rice crackers and some gummies.

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Today is leftover sesame chicken from last night's dinner, rice w/ black sesame & some broccoli. Nothing fancy :smile:

89uqqvlppogg.jpg
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    36Yvrtn

hmm apparently I'm doing something wrong...
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    Two boxes from this week.

(Not) Butter Chicken with rice and carrots
    6e33f3b2f8bd6e4259718678bd6ad64c.jpg

And this one is leftover One Pot Mexican Pasta with colby jack cheese on top.
    d803566dbb0216081abb80588c4a706d.jpg
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    cbnorris wrote: »
    36Yvrtn.jpg

hmm apparently I'm doing something wrong...

I clicked on the link and than open picture in new tab and use that link (from the picture by itself in the new tab) as the image and it worked ^_^
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's been ages since I've been back here, but goodness all these bentos are inspiring!

Planning on getting back into bento'ing again, and this 4-day weekend is gonna be perfect for getting myself prepped :smiley:

Also gonna try a recipe for some bacon furikake that I saw online... because bacon makes everything better XD
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    EAK_09 wrote: »
    I've seen those types of lunch boxes. I'd love to get one, one day. :#

The Bento boxes are pretty, but you definitely don't need to have one to get on board with the concept. I and many others started off with gladware and other basic containers. I was looking at sistema products in my local supermarket last night, and they have a split container that exactly the same size as the majority of my Bento boxes. It even comes with a spoon, a removable compartment, and is leakproof (something which many traditional boxes lack, but then again, the traditional bento box isn't meant to have soupy ingredients floating around).'

f3337tcx1kwo.jpg

They actually advertise it as a breakfast container, but I find their lunchboxes, although well compartmentalised, way too big. Their smallest lunchbox that isn't a sandwich box is over a litre in volume.
    it's a lot of fun! i ordered some actual bento boxes, but they haven't come yet. i thought i'd be hungry, but i found i'm not because although it's a little bit of everything, you feel like you're eating a lot, some weird psychology going on there...

and that's the other reason I love them. Can't decide what you want? Have a little bit of everything! It's an extreme comparison, but it's like a little buffet in a lunch bag :)

I have this container and it is excellent. Completely leak proof. I fill the bottom with fridge porridge, and the top with smoothie :) breakfast sorted. Love this Bento thread, need to get more adventurous with my lunches!

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    yrp0wpazqzkx.jpg

I forgot to take a picture until after I mixed my latest salad bento. It is not very pretty anymore but it contains the following: turkey, ham, pineapple, strawberries, blackberries, spring mix, and goat cheese served with white balsamic vinaigrette.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Today is leftover sesame chicken from last night's dinner, rice w/ black sesame & some broccoli. Nothing fancy :smile:

89uqqvlppogg.jpg

Mmm that looks delicious! I love the box too! Where did you get it from?

fitfor30th wrote: »
    EAK_09 wrote: »
    I've seen those types of lunch boxes. I'd love to get one, one day. :#

The Bento boxes are pretty, but you definitely don't need to have one to get on board with the concept. I and many others started off with gladware and other basic containers. I was looking at sistema products in my local supermarket last night, and they have a split container that exactly the same size as the majority of my Bento boxes. It even comes with a spoon, a removable compartment, and is leakproof (something which many traditional boxes lack, but then again, the traditional bento box isn't meant to have soupy ingredients floating around).'

f3337tcx1kwo.jpg

They actually advertise it as a breakfast container, but I find their lunchboxes, although well compartmentalised, way too big. Their smallest lunchbox that isn't a sandwich box is over a litre in volume.
    it's a lot of fun! i ordered some actual bento boxes, but they haven't come yet. i thought i'd be hungry, but i found i'm not because although it's a little bit of everything, you feel like you're eating a lot, some weird psychology going on there...

and that's the other reason I love them. Can't decide what you want? Have a little bit of everything! It's an extreme comparison, but it's like a little buffet in a lunch bag :)

I have this container and it is excellent. Completely leak proof. I fill the bottom with fridge porridge, and the top with smoothie :) breakfast sorted. Love this Bento thread, need to get more adventurous with my lunches!

I used to have this box too. It says it is dishwasher safe but I can tell you if isn't. I put it in the top raexk of my dishwasher and it warped so the lid doesn't fit anymore. I did like the spoon attachment though, very handy!
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @madiao I got it here. I bought the green one too.

I also just discovered these on Jlist

9yqn6l9ao290.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Got my Mac back early. They had wait 3-5 days due to needing a part but after 2 days I had the email. Yay for laptop with working mousepad, keyboard and decent battery. Now I can post again. Today's was just chicken thigh, zucchini, couple of mochi, 2 gummies, honey apple snacks (they were different) and a golden kiwi.

pef3vjlp51c9.jpg