Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No picture for me today since my purse was stolen, including phone, so I have no ability to take the picture. BUT I do have bento so what I packed was the following:

Top layer: about 2 oz left over steak, colby jack cheese stick, red wine/bacon/onion green beans

Bottom layer: spring mix with halved grapes and goat cheese, topped with white balsamic vinegar and olive oil

I should get my replacement phone soon so we can be back to bento viewing shortly.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    No picture for me today since my purse was stolen, including phone, so I have no ability to take the picture.

How awful!! Sorry to hear that :frowning: I have like 45 posts to catch up on, but here's today's bento. Rice, dumplings and a bunch of broccoli filler. Needs more color, but I didn't have anything colorful in the house.

It's apparently upside down. Not sure how to put it back to rights, so kindly flip your viewing screen over. eta- Okay, it's right side up again. Not sure how that happened. Carry on :tongue:

9cxja4wxibph.jpg

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Bento! It's exactly the same as Friday's! :p
    81iihal7554r.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    No picture for me today since my purse was stolen, including phone, so I have no ability to take the picture. BUT I do have bento so what I packed was the following:

Top layer: about 2 oz left over steak, colby jack cheese stick, red wine/bacon/onion green beans

Bottom layer: spring mix with halved grapes and goat cheese, topped with white balsamic vinegar and olive oil

I should get my replacement phone soon so we can be back to bento viewing shortly.

Those horrible cretins! (what I was going to type probably would have been censored). Although they must be idiotic cretins too; if they knew what was in the bento, they probably would have taken that as well, because it sounds delish ;)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    These are all adorable, and it's such a good idea... I need to get a few bento boxes

You don't need to wait for a bento box, you can start out with plain old gladware or tupperware! I started out with a divided gladware container.

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    No bento for me today. I started trying to scrape one together, but I have no salad anymore (the bottom of the container looked like a kitten's tummy so it got tossed) and no fruit and no leftover meats, just rice and veggies. I'm just gonna buy lunch, probably soup if the cool cloudy weather holds until lunch.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Okay. Nothing too special today. Had an avocado that was ripe and needed consumed along with chicken thigh that had some black bean sauce on it, green beans, pumpkin and zucchini.

21bvr0k.jpg
  • mangrothian
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Today's bento is a little different for me, because it's not going to stay in the box to be eaten. It's beef soboro, egg, rice and veg. The soboro is a bit salty and hard to eat with chopsticks, so I'll put it in a bowl with the rice and heat it up and then stir in the raw egg. The egg is being protected by a roasted seaweed snack in the second container.

Veg is brocollini, heirloom carrots and daikon, blanched in water with a little honey through it.
    mp2y84pgtymj.jpeg
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mp2y84pgtymj.jpeg
    It still looks nice! I love your bento box;

[Reply Edited by MyFitnessPal Moderator]
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    *smiles and nods*

Rough day between work and gym, things just didn't go smooth but I still had a bento. Leftover chicken with black bean paste (pulled off the bone last night), green beans, zucchini, sweet potato and cantaloupe flowers.

l4lmy4lhxyfg.jpg
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I may have missed this (not reading all 85 pages, lol) but I have Planet Box's for the kids.

http://www.planetbox.com/collections/configurator-products

They are pricey but make packing lunches so easy. As far as I can tell it will last basically forever. And the best part: one thing to wash, not a billion little containers and lids. I don't have any pretty pictures at the moment, but I will take some next week. I also like that it makes lunch packing brainless. One main area for the main dish/protein. 3 little areas for fruits, veggies, and maybe a "snack" food like pirates booty or some nuts (or else a second veggie). A tiny center area for a treat- usually 10 chocolate chips.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @bunnyxhime Thanks for saying my bentos are awesome. You are awesome! ^_^
    @sagj hope everything is working out with getting a new phone and anything else missing for your purse!!

I have been keeping up with the thread via lurking! So here is my contribution to the thread ^_^

Beef Cupcake Meatloaf
    4dea504b2f857fbfb45a20a1271330de.png

Taco Salad
    98620bbd2099296da3a49d1a9f591495.png

Hambagu with fried rice
    13cd79a69afef182bace9b741f50a078.png
  • mangrothian
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    I may have missed this (not reading all 85 pages, lol) but I have Planet Box's for the kids.

They are pricey but make packing lunches so easy. As far as I can tell it will last basically forever. And the best part: one thing to wash, not a billion little containers and lids. I don't have any pretty pictures at the moment, but I will take some next week. I also like that it makes lunch packing brainless. One main area for the main dish/protein. 3 little areas for fruits, veggies, and maybe a "snack" food like pirates booty or some nuts (or else a second veggie). A tiny center area for a treat- usually 10 chocolate chips.

I like the idea of those boxes. In the grand scheme of things, they're not cheap, but I wouldn't quite say they're expensive (I should relink the $500 bento box I found a while back, but I'm being lazy).

My question is, why are you making them just for the kids and not for yourself? You deserve a bright and pretty lunch too you know!

@HanamiDango your lunches are always pretty! nomnomom hambaagu!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Okay. I had a bento yesterday at work then I forgot my phone at work... No access to picture until today, so that means I can share two. The first was yesterday's. I had a salad that I brought in a tupperware container (spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, marinated egg, no calorie bbq sauce) then in my penguin bento I had a p3 protein pack (turkey, cheddar, chocolate nut clusters) and cantaloupe. Second picture is today's that included a container of salad (spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, sriracha hummus) and penguin bento with cucumber flowers, cooked zucchini, mushrooms and a little miso soup.

n0g0ic5gl363.jpg

p17k9t1iw0eb.jpg

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I like the idea of those boxes. In the grand scheme of things, they're not cheap, but I wouldn't quite say they're expensive (I should relink the $500 bento box I found a while back, but I'm being lazy).

My question is, why are you making them just for the kids and not for yourself? You deserve a bright and pretty lunch too you know!

I'm a stay at home mom so I rarely need to pack myself a lunch! But when I do need to, we have extras of the Eco Lunch Box that I can use. It is a stainless steel bento. When the kids went to preschool we had to get SS containers for them as we only had glass (Pyrex) and that wasn't allowed. 3 year olds + glass = bad! They used the Eco Lunch Box until they started Elementary, then switched to the Planet Box. Mostly to make it easier for me to wash, not going to lie! The Eco's would have been just fine ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options

I'm a stay at home mom so I rarely need to pack myself a lunch! But when I do need to, we have extras of the Eco Lunch Box that I can use. It is a stainless steel bento. When the kids went to preschool we had to get SS containers for them as we only had glass (Pyrex) and that wasn't allowed. 3 year olds + glass = bad! They used the Eco Lunch Box until they started Elementary, then switched to the Planet Box. Mostly to make it easier for me to wash, not going to lie! The Eco's would have been just fine ;)

If I have a box that's a PITA to wash, I generally don't use it often, so I don't blame you. Some of the boxes with all the fiddly cups look like a great lunch for the kids, but horrible for mum if she needs to wash 3 sets of them every day and heaven forbid they come home with one of the pieces missing.

As for lunch today, I had a Thai red curry with coconut&mustard rice leftovers (in normal tupperware! *gasp* ), but was almost finished eating by the time I remembered a photo. Sure was tasty though!
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    My lunch for today

Beef Madras & rice
    Mango and Apple

Breakfast was yoghurt with raspberries

gsz3mqx2t251.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Odd one today, another mix. I need to have day off to shop and cook. Today was spinach with sriracha hummus, bbq pork jerky, habanero bbq almonds, sriracha peas, leftover sweet potato slices and tiny scallops.

psgk8yk7vazi.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Odd one today, another mix. I need to have day off to shop and cook. Today was spinach with sriracha hummus, bbq pork jerky, habanero bbq almonds, sriracha peas, leftover sweet potato slices and tiny scallops.

psgk8yk7vazi.jpg

Wow! That all sounds face-meltingly spicy :flushed:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »

psgk8yk7vazi.jpg
    Someone likes their hot stuff! A kindred spirit :)

stkvotf7e83r.jpeg
    Today I have veg, a small chicken schnitzel which I over cooked with dinner last night, and two onigiri stuffed with.... Broiled mackerel. Haru-Chan would be so proud!
    q0x1td2eks39.jpeg