Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Today's lunch :) It's been a while since I did a bento-style lunch. Cheesy pasta bake, tuna and apple salad, mini veggie hot dogs, gherkins, pickled okra and sauerkraut. :)
    zipv49nbxjs9.jpg

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Odd one today, another mix. I need to have day off to shop and cook. Today was spinach with sriracha hummus, bbq pork jerky, habanero bbq almonds, sriracha peas, leftover sweet potato slices and tiny scallops.

psgk8yk7vazi.jpg
    Someone likes their hot stuff! A kindred spirit :)

stkvotf7e83r.jpeg
    Today I have veg, a small chicken schnitzel which I over cooked with dinner last night, and two onigiri stuffed with.... Broiled mackerel. Haru-Chan would be so proud!
    q0x1td2eks39.jpeg

Ha! I'm watching Gingitsune right now, and Haru-chan is a much different character :smile: And, I don't think I've ever had a non-overcooked schnitzel before.

Today's bento, matcha soba, pink shrimp sauteed in sesame oil, broccoli, dry roasted peanuts, a green tea chocolate pack and a ladybug baybel. The lighting doesn't show how awesome all the colors actually are, but well, you get the picture.

t1n5iyegxjcr.jpeg
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use Bento boxes as well. Here's a couple of things I throw in there.

A poached egg in a lettuce cup with steamed asparagus and a little parmesan sprinkle on top
    Ground turkey mixed with scallions, red, green yellow peppers, sautéed in pan with smashed garlic, salt/pepper and sriracha. Place under a bed of lettuce or fresh spinach leaves with a little olive oil.
    Greek yogurt with 2 crumbled graham crackers, mint leaves, a tsp of honey and a cup of fresh fruit
    Tuna or salmon tartare (raw fish mixed with cucumber, scallions, mayo, mustard, dill, paprika, red wine vinegar, honey) on top of wheat thin crackers or homemade crostini.
    Pickled eggs. Boil eggs in water and once cooked, drain half the water, set aside. Peel eggs. Place ice cubes in remaining water and add 1/2 c vinegar and dill. Let eggs sit in vinegar mixture for 15-20 min.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My babi bento today. Rice cups with fried chicken, kimchi & eggs and some fruits.
    4yaw5d6d1ljw.jpg
    5vp50rl02pkz.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Odd one today, another mix. I need to have day off to shop and cook. Today was spinach with sriracha hummus, bbq pork jerky, habanero bbq almonds, sriracha peas, leftover sweet potato slices and tiny scallops.

psgk8yk7vazi.jpg
    Someone likes their hot stuff! A kindred spirit :)

stkvotf7e83r.jpeg
    Today I have veg, a small chicken schnitzel which I over cooked with dinner last night, and two onigiri stuffed with.... Broiled mackerel. Haru-Chan would be so proud!
    q0x1td2eks39.jpeg

Ha! I'm watching Gingitsune right now, and Haru-chan is a much different character :smile: And, I don't think I've ever had a non-overcooked schnitzel before.

Today's bento, matcha soba, pink shrimp sauteed in sesame oil, broccoli, dry roasted peanuts, a green tea chocolate pack and a ladybug baybel. The lighting doesn't show how awesome all the colors actually are, but well, you get the picture.

t1n5iyegxjcr.jpeg

Lol, love the ladybug! And yes, most Haru chans aren't like this one lol. He must swim free!

Today's bento is some ginger beef with extra pickled ginger, rice and trimmings, kale coleslaw and two mini pork buns.
    c7q2os3m28hz.jpeg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I had leftovers from Red Lobster & left them in the take-out container (b/c I didn't feel like cleaning a dish) but it was actually still pretty presentable. So here's my non-bento bento for today:
    peenqomv7mbx.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    First up, last night's udon. It was a packaged soup mix, I put an egg, chicken and broccoli in it. Just putting the picture here because I like it. 439 calories

ch8qko76r3oo.jpg

Second up, today's lunch bento. On the bottom is jasmine rice & forbidden rice, on top is chicken, broccoli, a baybel and not pictured because the cling wrap was ugly, dry roasted peanuts. 476 calories

3419yg46oagj.jpg

I need to stop taking pictures of my broccoli at home, the color looks awful!

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    cfuhgixd63ht.jpeg Homemade Butter Chicken, Cauliflower Rice, Falafel, Black Grapes and Swiss Cheese cubes (not pictured as I ate them already)!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    cfuhgixd63ht.jpeg Homemade Butter Chicken, Cauliflower Rice, Falafel, Black Grapes and Swiss Cheese cubes (not pictured as I ate them already)!
    Looks yum! I keep hearing about this cauliflower rice; I'll need to get around to making some.

Today's bento is the normal rice with trimmings, veg, and little lean chipolata sausages that I coated in a yakiniku sauce (type of bbq sauce). The white splodges between the sausages are kewpie mayonnaise.
    5tz0b6b5hkoa.jpeg

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Another non-bento bento today: sushi handrolls from a local food cart
    bk11c2lu91rt.jpg

They're several blocks away, but that just means I get a little exercise in too :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nothing too special though I had a struggle as the tupperware opened in my purse and some spinach with hummus spilled. Messy clean up there. Spinach salad with minced chicken thighs, sriracha hummus, zucchini, 8 mate rice crackers snack and some caramel macchiato caramels.

5xir4brifa7j.jpg
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!!!

First bento!!!!

Well, the first one that was pretty enough to post anyway.... :tongue:

liuazuh7fkus.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Woo hoo!!!

First bento!!!!

Well, the first one that was pretty enough to post anyway.... :tongue:

liuazuh7fkus.jpg

Yay! One of us! One of us! One of us!
    dlu7e3qh4w0c.gif
  • somegirlinlondon
    somegirlinlondon Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bento bumping! :smiley: Trying to make sure I save this thread to read properly later.

All the Bento boxes look amazing!
  • CompanionNerd
    CompanionNerd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/12087856_10153634885654519_3054619698579067086_o.jpg

My bento box stuff got here today :) Will try it out on Monday. No lunches on the weekend. Already busted into the egg molds though. They all look weird except for the bunny one. Also, my silicone cups are sooo tiny. I thought they were larger when I ordered them. They are the size of a quarter, maybe. My matching bag to carry it in is set to come tomorrow. All bought on amazon except the little animal picks, I found them at the local oriental foods grocery for 1.50$. Wish me luck.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited October 2015
    Options
    https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/12087856_10153634885654519_3054619698579067086_o.jpg

My bento box stuff got here today :) Will try it out on Monday. No lunches on the weekend. Already busted into the egg molds though. They all look weird except for the bunny one. Also, my silicone cups are sooo tiny. I thought they were larger when I ordered them. They are the size of a quarter, maybe. My matching bag to carry it in is set to come tomorrow. All bought on amazon except the little animal picks, I found them at the local oriental foods grocery for 1.50$. Wish me luck.

I have those baby silicone cups too! They don't sound that small when you buy them and the picture is completely misleading :frowning:
  • mangrothian
    Options

I have those baby silicone cups too! They don't sound that small when you buy them and the picture is completely misleading :frowning:

If I'm correct about the size of a quarter, I have some too. I find them great for the tiny squishy items like Japanese pickles, a small amount of a thick sauce, a single mochi (a soft usually sweet rice cake thing) or similar. Other than that, they get used for baking mini cupcakes or chocolate work now.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    ooo I have considered getting that bento box. I have a couple small cups too, but they are kinds cute shaped so I just plan to use it for little things. Not much from me today. I barely got the chicken cooked before leaving for work. I had black bean chicken and spinach. And I left my phone at work again. So, no picture tonight.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    piheart wrote:
    Having trouble fitting 40-50 grams of protein in my bento breakfast/lunch. Any tips? I have been trying out Greek yogurt with different protein-y things inside, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't eat huge amounts of meat either... vegetarian for 7 years and recently reintroducing animal protein into my diet each day.
    Quinoa has lots of protein. According to the database, 0.5 cup has 11g protein with 318 cal.

Beans
    kidney 225 cal, 15g protein in 1 cup cooked
    soy 189 cal, 17g protein in 1 cup cooked
    garbazo 200 cal, 12g protein in 1 cup cooked
    black 296 cal, 20g protein in 1 cup cooked

lentils 230 cal, 18g protein in 1 cup cooked

nuts
    almonds 1 oz 186 cal, 8g protein
    walnuts 1 oz 185 cal, 4g protein

eggs large (50g) 78 cal, 6g protein