Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ok so first box was a great success, I feel like I messed up on the calorie calculation as I was so full I forced myself to finish off the snack box before I left so I didn't have to carry it home!

For my second attempt I thought I would try and go a bit more authentic so there is sushi rice I seasoned with some Chinese vinegar (was going to add some nori but it was 3 years out of date and a bit manky, its been that long since I made sushi!) green beans seasoned with soy sauce, a salmon fishcake left over from dinner. In the snack box there is a soy sauce coated egg, carrot, cucumber, and plum tomatoes.

I once again could not be bothered to chop, one day I will make it pretty!

xj9jaovddufr.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I forgot to take a picture of my bento today; although the leftovers weren't really that nice to look at.

I made Curry Doria for dinner last night, and had the leftovers today. If you remove the cheese they put on top of it, it's not a bad meal, calorically. Here's the recipe from Justonecookbook
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I forgot to take a picture of my bento today; although the leftovers weren't really that nice to look at.

I made Curry Doria for dinner last night, and had the leftovers today. If you remove the cheese they put on top of it, it's not a bad meal, calorically. Here's the recipe from Justonecookbook

I forgot to take a picture of my meal today as well. It was leftovers of meatloaf and zucchinis so not much to see anyway; It was in a box though! Have a great weekend all.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So I have a 4 hour train journey today so I packed myself a little box with two mini burger patties, blanched broccoli and peas, a soy egg, and cherry tomatoes. I had rice to go in it but forgot to put it in :( it's in the fridge so hopefully will be ok for dinner tomorrow.

I do a lot of travel, both for work and pleasure. Train meals can be very unhealthy for me especially if it's a limo I'm really pleased to have discovered this way to take a decent mea with me.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Broke down and got my bento today, I just had to! Can't wait for it to get here-totally geeking out! :smiley:http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-R2-D2-Bento-Box/dp/B015AT2B98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452346364&sr=8-1&keywords=r2+d2+bento
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    FINALLY! I finished my move, survived the hgolidays and realized i have a dig hair allergy (so i had to find a new home for my puppy) so since that was all very emotional i started to watching Anime again - which makes me want to do Bentos so bad again!!! SOOOOOON^^
  • 2POLARISS
    2POLARISS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous! I really want to get into this! Do you have a recipe for your little meatballs etc? They look great. I will try that Bento site you linked and start Bentoing asap!

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    Broke down and got my bento today, I just had to! Can't wait for it to get here-totally geeking out! :smiley:http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-R2-D2-Bento-Box/dp/B015AT2B98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452346364&sr=8-1&keywords=r2+d2+bento

Super awesome bento! I'm soooo excited for you.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Made some bacon wrapped paneer, courgettes & berber-spiced French toast croutons for dinner and kept some leftovers for my bento tomorrow. Also made a dessert of chocolate biccies slathered with cream cheese & topped with Korean strawberries which I am also packing into Bearly Bento.

l7fdrei1dub2.jpg
  • Missisnotmyfirstname
    Missisnotmyfirstname Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    qno70v39808c.jpg
    Tomorrow's and Tuesday's.
    Vegetable potato croquettes (homemade), teriyaki chicken, chopped veg, hummus, Green Things Salad. Cheese, mini chorizo
    I have fruit and yoghurt too
  • amygatl
    amygatl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite thread on mfp! I love seeing new messages, and they inspire my own lunches. I'm finally getting around to posting another bento:

pjdkapdj3lrj.jpeg

Raw veggies (radishes, cauliflower & tomatoes) with ranch dressing. Mayo sweet pickles & hard boiled eggs for egg salad.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    a9wdqktjk8rb.jpg
    Here are my bentos for the next two days:

Cobb salad in the bottom

Hamburger with mushrooms, cherry vanilla greek yogurt and kiwis with strawberries in the top
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Brought soup for me again today, but I do still have a bento of leftovers in the fridge. I'll probably bring it tomorrow. I have jury duty on Wednesday, so I'm going to put together a bento that doesn't need to be heated. If I have time tonight, I'd like to make onigiri; otherwise, it'll probably just be meat/cheese roll-ups and a boiled egg and such.
  • nixology
    Options
    amygatl wrote: »
    This is my absolute favorite thread on mfp! I love seeing new messages, and they inspire my own lunches. I'm finally getting around to posting another bento:

pjdkapdj3lrj.jpeg

Raw veggies (radishes, cauliflower & tomatoes) with ranch dressing. Mayo sweet pickles & hard boiled eggs for egg salad.

Ahhhh, I love the owl bento! Kawaii!
  • nixology
    Options
    Bearly Bento went to work with me full of last night's dinner leftovers. Grilled bacon wrapped courgettes, French toast croutons & paneer, more roasted courgettes and paneer and some choccie biccies topped with cream cheese and strawberries.cdihcn2bdmoo.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    A nice big peppery savoy cabbage salad today with a sesame dressing (in the pot in the left tier), a bunny egg, matcha cookie, bunny egg and some pre-packaged salmon and beans, because I'm lazy.
    b2x7fjejdyi5.jpg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Vegetable potato croquettes (homemade)

Those look so good! Do you maybe have a recipe?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking both in packing and in posting because it takes adding images to tinypic before putting them in here or else it takes up the whole screen. Miss having the easy pictures right from my phone option. So, here's a couple of them.

1. Several days ago (as in over a week even) not pretty or cute, just in regular container work dinner. It's rice, taco seasoned chicken and carrot slices (pre-sliced from store).

a31s7r.jpg

2. More of a veggie option from a few days ago. On some occasions I just would take in veggies to snack on behind the counter where people couldn't see me, hehe. Like having the sugar snap peas in particular for that. I also had a p3 chicken pack cause need protein. The cucumber noodles were kinda fun but need to cut them a bit as the strands get a little long. Got a veggie slicer thing on clearance so tried it out and so far working pretty well.

24mzynq.jpg

3. Not my lunch in the picture but yesterday met with some coworkers for brunch and it took so long to get a table that I had to order mine to go. I had a croissant and latte at the table (no pictures) and had this at work at 7pm when got to take my break. The picture of the one who ordered the same thing at the french bakery was much better than the to-go container version. Delish either way. Risotto cakes with mushrooms and bacon, poached egg, potatoes and butternut squash.

2meeexz.jpg

There was also a croissant with strawberry jam and a little bit of brie. I purchased a couple brioche ones too and some macaroons. mmmmm Already decided my near valentine treat to my single self is going to be pastries from this place. Yum!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    5ccadqi2lw9y.jpg

Today's lunch: baby spinach, avocado and wild salmon!
  • Missisnotmyfirstname
    Missisnotmyfirstname Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Vegetable potato croquettes (homemade)

Those look so good! Do you maybe have a recipe?

I don't have a recipe as such, I was kind of winging it!
    It's a mix of vegetable pie filling and leftover mash coated in egg and panko breadcrumbs.
    The veg pie mix was peas, carrots, peppers, green beans softened then set aside. I made a roux then used chicken stock to make the sauce - simmered until it was pretty thick. The veg went back in. (Sometimes I put roast chicken in too). The mix is really thick at this point.
    For the croquettes I mixed the cold leftover pie filling with about double the quantity of leftover mash potatoes. Shaped into patties, dipped in beaten egg then panko breadcrumbs and some smoked paprika. In the fridge till really cold then oven baked for 25 ish minutes (till golden brown)
    They aren't as crunchy when they're cold but still tasty