Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Missisnotmyfirstname
    Options
    j3x5mi06kp34.jpg
    This was today's. Needed to finish the chicken and the orzo. I will try something different tomorrow.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My hubby's little lunches, at least in bento boxes right? Leftover pasta, tomato sauce, meatballs, and broccoli with parm cheese. And followed by Beef barely soup. Got to use the leftovers.
    2b2f5a1fe6cdf795d03a37fe0ada4365.png9a4c82e0b2606e6967845d8eb58e7495.png
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    I would love to try and do this, but it's a bit overwhelming. Everyone has such amazing looking boxes and I have no idea if I can do it as well!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I love this thread so much! I need a microwavable bento box. I have one that is a Sailor Moon design, but it's not microwavable and I don't like cold lunch. :-(
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I would love to try and do this, but it's a bit overwhelming. Everyone has such amazing looking boxes and I have no idea if I can do it as well!

FEAR NOT!! We all started somewhere! Grab a tupperware dish and give it a shot! :)
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options

FEAR NOT!! We all started somewhere! Grab a tupperware dish and give it a shot! :)

Exactly what Pixie said ^__^
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ok so no cute lunchbox yet but I love this thread and have spent about 3 hours reading it all :p

It's a leftovers day tomorrow mostly but there are some snacks too.

1rzq6bxh6qkr.jpg

So in tub one we have pasta, roasted swede, aubergine, and courgette. Some left over roast chicken. I'm gonna be heating this box up in the microwave as the chicken has been in the fridge a few days.

Tub two has a boiled egg, roasted red pepper from a jar, and a piece of cucumber which I didn't chop up because I'm lazy... In the little tub is my home made sweetcorn and red pepper relish.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    All you people who have dips and stuff in the cupcake holders, doesn't it just go everywhere when the box is in your bag on the way to work?
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    All you people who have dips and stuff in the cupcake holders, doesn't it just go everywhere when the box is in your bag on the way to work?

If I have liquid stuff, I'll put it in a smaller container that closes. (If you look back at my last picture, you can see my salad dressing inside a Hello Kitty cup.) If it's something thicker that won't spill (ie, peanut butter, hummus) then I'll put it in a cupcake holder. I'll also use cupcake holders to separate foods from one another within the box (fruit, boiled egg, nuts, etc)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    I love this thread so much! I need a microwavable bento box. I have one that is a Sailor Moon design, but it's not microwavable and I don't like cold lunch. :-(

There are quite a few - the Monbento boxes are microwavable without their lids on, as are the Bentgo brand.

In my experience, most boxes are microwavable for gentle reheating of food to a consumable temperature, just not to get something extremely hot. It may not be true for every cheap box, but I've stuck my cheap Daiso ones in the microwave without issue if they're only going on a medium-low power for 30 seconds or so.

If I have liquid stuff, I'll put it in a smaller container that closes. (If you look back at my last picture, you can see my salad dressing inside a Hello Kitty cup.) If it's something thicker that won't spill (ie, peanut butter, hummus) then I'll put it in a cupcake holder. I'll also use cupcake holders to separate foods from one another within the box (fruit, boiled egg, nuts, etc)

I use little 15ml sauce cups with lids for anything thats sorta thick and I'm not worried about massive leakage. For runny sauces like soy, I use a tiny sauce bottle then squirt the contents into the lid of my container for dipping (if it's gonna get washed anyway when I'm done, why not?)
  • stranger2310
    stranger2310 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I use a bento to take my lunch to uni in. I absolutely love it! I use a Monbento - two boxes that click together and can keep food separate and fresh with an air-tight seal. Sometimes I'll just put a sandwich and fruit in it, but it works with every kind of left-over; I love using it after making a Chinese meal: one box for rice, cucumber, whole tomatoes. Another box for leftover black bean chicken, stir-fried runner beans with chillies, etc.

I don't tend to eat so much rice anymore, but I've attached some pictures I took a few months ago:

It's a nice compact way of preparing food when travelling, studying, etc., and it can really help with portion control, too. I think it's also good for visibly seeing what you're eating. You can see where you carbs, proteins, and fats are in the way they're laid out, so it helps to compartmentalise the nutrients in a meal.
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    My lunches are most all leftovers and nothing to write a blog over. Really, just make a simple way to not over feed the hubby, and a small tupperware works, like PixieGoddess said!
    I have had that happen just once, and it was candy at that. Oops, but I over packed his lunch that day. Anything dry will go into a silicon cup, anything wet in a container with a lid.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

It doesn't have to be fancy! Just try it and I bet you'll start coming up with creative ideas in no time!

OMG I WANT A SAILOR MOON BENTO!!! :joy:

Systema has some decent, microwavable containers... they aren't as cute as the Japanese style bento boxes, but they're well designed.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I have some little containers with lids for sauces. If something is thick enough it usually is okay in a silicon cup if you keep the box upright. Greek yogurt + chia seeds = that yogurt isn't going anywhere! :smiley:
  • sagj
    Options

I agree with everyone else, it is no biggie. Take some food you like and put it in a box. You can fancy it up if you like or not. The point is to make your meal packing and eating time enjoyable and fun. If it feels like a stressful process, contemplate what is getting in the way of it being fun and eliminate that thing (perfectionism for instance-you're going to eat it, it doesn't need to be perfect! :smiley: ) There are lots of pictures on this thread for ideas but just focus on packing a meal you enjoy!
  • sagj
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

It doesn't have to be fancy! Just try it and I bet you'll start coming up with creative ideas in no time!

OMG I WANT A SAILOR MOON BENTO!!! :joy:

YES!
  • dansacha
    dansacha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my bento!! www.lunchbots.com
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    Another bento to add, chicken chili, 2 corn tortilla, and cheese. My lunch today is the same, minus the cheese, add green onions, and more chili than him. It comes out to 321 calories for the today and well the next few days. It is colder here, so warm food it is. Sorry my images are so big >.> 53bff527a21b7712a3ee729822a3ab9d.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Leftover roast beast (yes, I'm 30 and still make Dr Seuss references), Star Wars mac-n-cheese (that's right, be jealous), and veggies, with a side salad

rk0lx9soqv7i.jpg
  • Missisnotmyfirstname
    Options
    mh7dx3px3gka.jpg

Leftover tortellini, bean and pea salad. Hummus and chopped veggies. Grapes and a dressing for the salad which was gross.
    No box tomorrow, I've a work thing